Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kanye West is an idiot
Forums > Community Center > Music
Pages: 1, 2, 3
T00000
Kanye West thinks he is the "voice" of this generation

Okay, seriously who does this guy think he is?? He's a good artist but he definitely is not all that he talks himself up to be. I honestly like his songs less after hearing that bullsh*t. It's one thing to be confident... but he just needs to keep his mouth shut about some things.
Joanne
So Kanye's a cocky bastard. What else is new?
brooklyneast05
doesn't bother me at all, why are you so pissed off by it?

In America, they want you to accomplish these great feats, to pull off these David Copperfield-type stunts. You want me to be great, but you don't ever want me to say I'm great?
diputs
^ agreed! :)

T00000
QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Nov 14 2008, 06:24 PM) *
doesn't bother me at all, why are you so pissed off by it?

In America, they want you to accomplish these great feats, to pull off these David Copperfield-type stunts. You want me to be great, but you don't ever want me to say I'm great?

NOT pissed off, more annoyed than anything else. Why? Because when you're at the top of your game, arrogance does nothing but turn people off. If anything, he's going to go down in history as an outspoken, cocky b*tch.

And I don't think Kanye West is "great." Good, but not "great." He could be great if he just shut his mouth and made music for awhile, and let his music speak for itself before he opened his big mouth... Kanye West just comes out with overrated, MTV-type music. Once he's actually great, then maybe he can talk.
batman
QUOTE(CLYDE @ Nov 14 2008, 06:48 PM) *
Kanye IS great

T00000
I guess it's just a matter of opinion then. I don't think he's great enough to be as cocky as he is. I think his music is overplayed MTV crap that teenagers listen to because they don't know how to find good music on their own. I have less respect for him as an actual artist because Kanye West is less about the music and more about his image.
brooklyneast05
QUOTE(TBoltzbabe @ Nov 14 2008, 07:53 PM) *
I guess it's just a matter of opinion then. I don't think he's great enough to be as cocky as he is. I think his music is overplayed MTV crap that teenagers listen to because they don't know how to find good music on their own. I have less respect for him as an actual artist because Kanye West is less about the music and more about his image.

loool.gif you don't know shit about kanye west or his music then.

so what classifies someone to say they are great then? you don't think he's won enough awards? you don't think he's sold enough music? you don't think he's influenced a whole genre of music? i mean when does he become good enough to be called great? to me you're basically saying no matter how great and how on top of the game people are they can't say they are great. if you are kanye west, you can say you're great, and if you can't say you are, then who can?

so yeah, before you call someone an idiot for stating they are good when they are, i want to know what will qualify someone to say they are great.
applejaxkz
Kanye is dope. I don't care if he's cocky, who isn't these days.
T00000
QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Nov 14 2008, 07:27 PM) *
loool.gif you don't know shit about kanye west or his music then.
so what classifies someone to say they are great then? you don't think he's won enough awards? you don't think he's sold enough music? you don't think he's influenced a whole genre of music? i mean when does he become good enough to be called great?

stubborn.gif And I wonder why I used to be such a b*tch on these forums. Many members seem to lack simple, basic reading comprehension skills. I know enough about Kanye West and his music, thank you. To me, winning awards does not equate to greatness!! Sorry! Britney Spears has won awards, does that mean she is great? She has sold more music than him in her career, but I certainly would ever call her great. And no, I don't think Kanye West has influenced an entire genre of music. I think Britney Spears actually influenced her genre of Pop music back then more than Kanye West has influenced his, but I STILL wouldn't call her great.
to me you're basically saying no matter how great and how on top of the game people are they can't say they are great. if you are kanye west, you can say you're great, and if you can't say you are, then who can?

Well then you are obviously misinterpreting my words. If Tupac or Biggie had said "I am great" blah blah blah, I would have been fine with that. Because, they were great. They have influenced an entire genre more than Kanye could ever hope to. I don't think you understand that Kanye isn't saying "I'm really talented," he is comparing himself to the Michael Jordan of music. He is saying that he is LEGENDARY. I don't use the term "great" loosely, it's not something I apply to the popular artist of the year or whatever you seem to think is appropriate to call it.

I have no respect for him as an individual, because as normal as you guys seem to think his antics are, I don't. He crashed the stage in the 2006 MTV Europe Music awards because he didn't win Best Video. While Justice and Simian were receiving their award, he comes on stage like "OH hell no, I've never even seen your video so no offense to you, but OH hell no!" How rude is that? That could have been a very special moment for the other artists but Kanye took it upon himself to ruin that moment for them and draw attention to himself, once again. He is just not a very classy person as far as I'm concerned. Not only that, but appearing on Rolling Stones wearing a crowd of thorns, alluding to Jesus?? I'm not a religious person at all, but that's so ridiculous. He's a sore loser, and a sore winner, and that's why I have a problem with him.
so yeah, before you call someone an idiot for stating they are good when they are, i want to know what will qualify someone to say they are great.

I am not calling him an idiot for calling himself "good." I'm calling him an idiot for calling himself the Michael Jordan of music, when he isn't.
hi-C
While I may not like most of her music, Britney was one of the greatest pop acts of the last 10 years. No bullshit.

And I think if you release two albums (The College Dropout and Late Registration) that qualify as instant classics and are the firs two albums you've ever done as a solo artist then that makes you pretty great.
cakedout
just curious, what do you equate to greatness?
brooklyneast05
you still didn't answer my question, which is what does it take for someone to be able to call themselves great then?
datass
whats wrong with being confident and proud? are you one of those people who does things and secretly hope people would tell you you did a great job, but you'd never admit it? damn i hate those people.
RCKstarh
a lot of artist say they're great. but i do agree that sometimes he should keep his mouth shut, "George Bush doesnt like black people..."
T00000
To the extent that Kanye West has called himself? Well when I think of the "Michael Jordan" of music, I imagine someone who has been big for years (at least ten), who has made a lasting impression on the public even after he/she is retired, and someone whose talent speaks for itself. Someone who is that great inspires an entire generation of kids, or an entire genre of kids. Someone who is THAT great is a household name, and by household I mean anyone at any age has heard of that person. That's my definition of greatness, and I feel that if Kanye West felt it necessary to claim greatness to the extent that Michael Jordan has achieved it, he should at least achieve that greatness as well.

whats wrong with being confident and proud? are you one of those people who does things and secretly hope people would tell you you did a great job, but you'd never admit it? damn i hate those people.

No, I do things for myself. I don't do things so that ANYONE could tell me I'm doing a great job, because if I'm proud of what I'm doing then that gives me enough satisfaction. And Kanye crosses the "confidence" line with his remarks, and moves into cockiness.
cakedout
cmon, he isn't the first person to be a self-proclaimed example of greatness
applejaxkz
QUOTE(RCKstarh @ Nov 14 2008, 08:58 PM) *
a lot of artist say they're great. but i do agree that sometimes he should keep his mouth shut, "George Bush doesnt like black people..."

Agreed!
SuckDickNSaveLives
QUOTE(Joannnnnne @ Nov 14 2008, 07:22 PM) *
So Kanye's a cocky bastard. What else is new?

Word, I don't see why anyone would be surprised by this.

This is the same dude that said if there was a modern day bible he would be in it. So basically anything he says shouldn't be shocking.

QUOTE(TBoltzbabe @ Nov 14 2008, 07:44 PM) *
NOT pissed off, more annoyed than anything else. Why? Because when you're at the top of your game, arrogance does nothing but turn people off. If anything, he's going to go down in history as an outspoken, cocky b*tch.

And I don't think Kanye West is "great." Good, but not "great." He could be great if he just shut his mouth and made music for awhile, and let his music speak for itself before he opened his big mouth... Kanye West just comes out with overrated, MTV-type music. Once he's actually great, then maybe he can talk.

I have to question whether you like rap or not. Most rappers are arrogant and its written all over their lyrics. But don't worry, if Kanye is really turning you off you have nothing to fear. He will soon be like every other rapper that was once hot at one point, which is hot then not hot. See this list:

Ja Rule
LL Cool J
50 cent

and plenty of others. A rap artist is only extremely popular for a certain amount of time then its a new person ( Lil Wayne at this current time). Despite them not being a hot commodity in rap as they once were, most of these guys are smart and venture into other things such as movies. Despite 50 cent not being as big as he was musically, he is still is more popular than any other rap artist. He has his second video game coming out. How many rappers or artists can say that?

QUOTE(cakedout @ Nov 14 2008, 10:09 PM) *
cmon, he isn't the first person to be a self-proclaimed example of greatness

co-sign
T00000
I have to question whether you like rap or not.

Yes, I love rap. And even though Kanye has a history of such outspoken arrogance, that doesn't make it okay in my books. And I agree, other rappers have made cocky claims about themselves in the past, but not to the extent that Kanye has.
cakedout
"If you haven't heard, I'm Michael Magic and Bird all rolled in one" - Jay Z
SuckDickNSaveLives
QUOTE(TBoltzbabe @ Nov 14 2008, 10:39 PM) *
Yes, I love rap. And even though Kanye has a history of such outspoken arrogance, that doesn't make it okay in my books. And I agree, other rappers have made cocky claims about themselves in the past, but not to the extent that Kanye has.

Cool, cool, but at some point you gotta laugh at how outlandish these statements are.
SuckDickNSaveLives
QUOTE(cakedout @ Nov 14 2008, 10:46 PM) *
"If you haven't heard, I'm Michael Magic and Bird all rolled in one" - Jay Z

Reminds me of that Kanye quote:
If yall fresh to death, then I''m deceased

That was a dope line.
Simba
QUOTE(CLYDE @ Nov 14 2008, 06:48 PM) *
Kanye IS great, part of his appeal is how fabulously cocky he is. He says what others want to think but are afraid to say.

RCKstarh
im really wondering why this conversation hasnt gotten to Lil Wayne yet....
he's the one who puts himself in the same category along with the best rappers alive (Biggie, Pac, Jay) come on.... if anyone hypes themselves more than they should then it's him....
Simba
who's lil weezy f. baby?
RCKstarh
He says what others want to think but are afraid to say.

thank you.
T00000
QUOTE(RCKstarh @ Nov 14 2008, 09:58 PM) *
im really wondering why this conversation hasnt gotten to Lil Wayne yet....
he's the one who puts himself in the same category along with the best rappers alive (Biggie, Pac, Jay) come on.... if anyone hypes themselves more than they should then it's him....

Maybe it's because I truly believe that Lil Wayne possesses a lot of talent. I actually do think that Lil Wayne has the potential to be legendary. In his case, I think it's okay for him to act like that because I would agree with him. I don't have a problem with people who say what others are afraid to say (trust me on this, most of you probably weren't even here when I was my most active on this site but anyone who remembers me can attest to this)... I think it's an admirable quality. But I think Kanye just does this for attention, and because he's arrogant. Maybe it's all about a difference in opinion.
RCKstarh
Maybe it's because I truly believe that Lil Wayne possesses a lot of talent. I actually do think that Lil Wayne has the potential to be legendary. In his case, I think it's okay for him to act like that because I would agree with him. I don't have a problem with people who say what others are afraid to say (trust me on this, most of you probably weren't even here when I was my most active on this site but anyone who remembers me can attest to this)... I think it's an admirable quality. But I think Kanye just does this for attention, and because he's arrogant. Maybe it's all about a difference in opinion.

im sure its possble that lil wayne COULD be legindary but i think it's way to early to call...i dont agree Kanye did this for attention. maybe he actually feels this way of himself which is a positive quality that he holds. and im sure if he wanted to do this for attention, he can do better than this because of the past public stunts he pulled (dressing up as Jesus in a crown of thorns in a magazine)
brooklyneast05
wow, kanye won't be a legend but lil wayne will eh. i do not understand how someone can think lil wayne has more talent than kanye.

mellow.gif
hi-C
QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Nov 14 2008, 11:36 PM) *
i do not understand how someone can think lil wayne has more talent than kanye.

Simba
QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Nov 14 2008, 11:36 PM) *
i do not understand how someone can think lil wayne has more talent than kanye.

cakedout
ay weezy is hard son, dude made a song on acid

I FEEEEL LIKE DYINNN
Simba
QUOTE(cakedout @ Nov 14 2008, 11:47 PM) *
ay weezy is hard son, dude made a song on acid
I FEEEEL LIKE DYINNN
loool.gifloool.gifloool.gif

RCKstarh
dont get me wrong. i dont personally think he has more talent than kanye but everyone could always step up their game. always a possibility i guess.
dosomethin888
Ya, he has great music and hes cocky. Annoys me. A lot of entertainers are much cockier than they ought to be... they think their shit dont stink?
datass
this is pure opinion.
Simba
QUOTE(CLYDE @ Nov 15 2008, 12:31 AM) *
Thank you!
i see wat u deed ther
amplifyy
So what? At least Stronger's still good.
fameONE
KanYe West is far from an ideal spokesperson for hiphop. He admitted that he's not well informed on politcal matters. However, when you make public statements, you have to be mindful of what the hell you say.

Musically, he is great. Period. He doesn't posess the lyrical prowess of Talib Kweli or Black Thought, but he makes a lot more sense than, say, Lil' Wayne. As a producer, to downplay what he's done for music, as a whole, would be a crime.

He's also, beyond a shadow of a doubt, the number one fashion icon in music right now. So let's do a little math, shall we?

Average lyrics + interesting content + stellar production + immaculate sense of style - outlandish public statements = greatness for Yeezy.

Hate if you want, toys, but Ye's legacy is something that haters will never be able to blemish.
SuckDickNSaveLives
QUOTE(ArjunaCapulong @ Nov 15 2008, 01:50 AM) *
i see wat u deed ther

laugh.gif laugh.gif
T00000
Maybe I can just relate to Lil Wayne more. Maybe because the song you mentioned, I Feel Like Dying, is actually one of the most haunting songs I've ever heard relating to drug abuse. If you've ever suffered from an addiction problem with a certain substance, that song just gets in your bones and is very powerful. The lyrics of the song are just beautiful, in my opinion, and completely express the hopelessness and literal feeling of wanting to just, die.

Swimming laps around a bottle of Louis the Thirteenth
Jumpin' off of a mountain into a sea of Codeine
I'm at the top of the top, but... still I climb
And if I should ever fall, the ground would then turn to wine
Pop, pop, I feel like flying, then I feel like frying, then...
I feel like dying

I can mingle with the stars, and throw a party on Mars
I am a prisoner, locked up behind Xanax bars
I have just boarded a plane, without a pilot
And violets are blue, roses are red
Daisies are yellow, the flowers are dead
Wish I can give you this feeling... I feel like buying
And if my dealer don't have no more, then...
I feel like dying

As someone who knows exactly what this feels like, I can't think of any other words to use to describe the situation.

I can agree that Lil Wayne, like others, can be cocky. But it's hidden little gems like this, that go unplayed on radios and MTV, that really touch my heart. This one specifically. The repetition of the song that might annoy others is another way of mimicking the feeling of repetition and the endless cycle of drug abuse that such an addiction can inspire.

In addition to that, watching Lil Wayne freestyle is one of the most impressive things I have seen/heard thus far. I just get the impression that music literally flows out of his veins and into his songs.

I never said I don't respect Kanye as an artist, because I do. Several of his songs over the past couple of years are among my favorites. But I don't think that he deserves the credit he gives himself (comparing himself to Michael Jordan, and JESUS??). I actually lose respect for him as an artist after hearing his claims.

And I also agree with you that this was not the most outlandish thing he has done for attention, but I feel like every couple of months some other little quote or something he has said has to make headlines. It seems like he always has to talk about himself to the media, and that annoys me.

Outstanding lyrics + fascinating & meaningful content + stellar production + immaculate style (and he has some nasty ink) + no outlandish public statements = greatness for Weezy.

You don't have to agree with me people, I'm not asking you to. I'm just stating my opinion, which I'm entitled to have. thumbsup.gif
fameONE
Touching response. Whatever floats your boat. Everyone will have their personal preferences, and no one is disputing which artist is better because of who they can relate to; we're discussing who truly is more talented.

Outstanding lyrics + fascinating & meaningful content + stellar production + immaculate style (and he has some nasty ink) + no outlandish public statements = greatness for Weezy.

Weezy isn't a producer, for starters. So he can't get credit for production. All three Carter's had top notch production; production so thorough that most hiphop heavyweights could easily make it a platinum album *cough,Jay-Z,cough*

Check the credits for Tha Carter's I & II and he's not the sole writer of his songs. As an artist who is solely an emcee, and wants to be taken seriously, this is no-no.

As a fashion icon, Weezy ain't it. There's nothing special about his style, minus the name brands. Roll through any hood south of the Mason-Dixon line, and you can find a grip of niggas that look just like him.

Lyrical content; he's inconsistent.

Do a quick search of Weezy's public statements via Google. He makes KanYe look like a college professor.
diputs
QUOTE(RCKstarh @ Nov 14 2008, 08:58 PM) *

thats true .. AND: Kanye West Pees On The Carpet
SuckDickNSaveLives
QUOTE(fameONE @ Nov 15 2008, 03:03 AM) *
KanYe West is far from an ideal spokesperson for hiphop. He admitted that he's not well informed on politcal matters. However, when you make public statements, you have to be mindful of what the hell you say.

Musically, he [b[is[/b] great. Period. He doesn't posess the lyrical prowess of Talib Kweli or Black Thought, but he makes a lot more sense than, say, Lil' Wayne. As a producer, to downplay what he's done for music, as a whole, would be a crime.

He's also, beyond a shadow of a doubt, the number one fashion icon in music right now. So let's do a little math, shall we?

Average lyrics + interesting content + stellar production + immaculate sense of style - outlandish public statements = greatness for Yeezy.

Hate if you want, toys, but Ye's legacy is something that haters will never be able to blemish.

Thats really on point. I always thought Kanye was an average lyricist, but his production game is at least half the reason behind his success. No one can deny his ear for music. I'm pretty sure any emcee would love to have the ability to take beats and add your own creativity to it.

I also think a big misconception is that Kanye can't make a beat without a sample. False...... _dry.gif I.E. Get Em High ft. Talib and Common.

Also Ye does drop nice lines from time to time. But sometimes they have Lupe written all over them, but I can't confirm that:
"I'm just saying, Hey Mona Lisa,
come home you know you can't Rome without Caesar"
hi-C
My favorite 'Ye line:
Every time I breathe on a track I asthma attack it.

When I heard that for the first time I was like, ohmy.gif
T00000
Oh yeah and I forgot to add that Weezy's voice is extremely unique and that's another factor that makes him stand out. Oh and I also appreciate the humor he inserts into several of his lyrics... And Kanye West peed on the carpet, wtf?? He's like a little kid.

And I like Weezy's style, he's hot. And I "roll through any hood south of the Mason-Dixon line" on a daily basis being that I live in ATL, and I can't say that I've ever seen "a grip of niggas that look just like him." I see more poserish type guys trying to dress like Kanye than Weezy. He just wears whatever, maybe his style and him as a person is just someone I can respect more. I can respect Lil Wayne's arrogance because he doesn't go out of his way to say it, and because I could agree with him. So I guess I can see where you guys are coming from as far as Kanye's arrogance not bothering you... it's just a different taste in artists.
Joss-eh-lime
weezy's lyrics are pretty tight, but the stuff he talks about is what turns me off to him. sure, people share some of his feelings, but im not a fan of his subject matter.

but kayne is definately not the voice of our generation.
cakedout
who the f*ck just said stronger is good? ROFL
fameONE
QUOTE(TBoltzbabe @ Nov 15 2008, 02:37 PM) *
Oh yeah and I forgot to add that Weezy's voice is extremely unique and that's another factor that makes him stand out. Oh and I also appreciate the humor he inserts into several of his lyrics... And Kanye West peed on the carpet, wtf?? He's like a little kid.

And I like Weezy's style, he's hot. And I "roll through any hood south of the Mason-Dixon line" on a daily basis being that I live in ATL, and I can't say that I've ever seen "a grip of niggas that look just like him." I see more poserish type guys trying to dress like Kanye than Weezy. He just wears whatever, maybe his style and him as a person is just someone I can respect more. I can respect Lil Wayne's arrogance because he doesn't go out of his way to say it, and because I could agree with him. So I guess I can see where you guys are coming from as far as Kanye's arrogance not bothering you... it's just a different taste in artists.

Last time I was in North Carolina, all I saw were dreads and wife-beaters.

BUt I'll just agree to disagree. No matter how much I enjoy listening to 'Shooter,' or 'Let the Beat Build,' Lil' Wayne is just a modern day minstrel show to me.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.