Kanye West is an idiot
T00000
post Nov 14 2008, 06:21 PM
Post #1

Wow it's been a long time!!

Group: Member
Member No: 8,954

Kanye West thinks he is the "voice" of this generation

Okay, seriously who does this guy think he is?? He's a good artist but he definitely is not all that he talks himself up to be. I honestly like his songs less after hearing that bullsh*t. It's one thing to be confident... but he just needs to keep his mouth shut about some things.

Joanne
post Nov 14 2008, 06:22 PM
Post #2

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 95,404

So Kanye's a cocky bastard. What else is new?

brooklyneast05
post Nov 14 2008, 06:24 PM
Post #3

I'm Jc

Group: Mentor
Member No: 437,556

doesn't bother me at all, why are you so pissed off by it?

In America, they want you to accomplish these great feats, to pull off these David Copperfield-type stunts. You want me to be great, but you don't ever want me to say I'm great?

diputs
post Nov 14 2008, 06:33 PM
Post #4

Hello, I'm Heli

Member No: 568,604

^ agreed! :)

T00000
post Nov 14 2008, 06:44 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Nov 14 2008, 06:24 PM) *
doesn't bother me at all, why are you so pissed off by it?

In America, they want you to accomplish these great feats, to pull off these David Copperfield-type stunts. You want me to be great, but you don't ever want me to say I'm great?

NOT pissed off, more annoyed than anything else. Why? Because when you're at the top of your game, arrogance does nothing but turn people off. If anything, he's going to go down in history as an outspoken, cocky b*tch.

And I don't think Kanye West is "great." Good, but not "great." He could be great if he just shut his mouth and made music for awhile, and let his music speak for itself before he opened his big mouth... Kanye West just comes out with overrated, MTV-type music. Once he's actually great, then maybe he can talk.

batman
post Nov 14 2008, 06:49 PM
Post #6

Member No: 696,018

QUOTE(CLYDE @ Nov 14 2008, 06:48 PM) *
Kanye IS great

T00000
post Nov 14 2008, 06:53 PM
Post #7

I guess it's just a matter of opinion then. I don't think he's great enough to be as cocky as he is. I think his music is overplayed MTV crap that teenagers listen to because they don't know how to find good music on their own. I have less respect for him as an actual artist because Kanye West is less about the music and more about his image.

brooklyneast05
post Nov 14 2008, 07:27 PM
Post #8

I'm Jc

QUOTE(TBoltzbabe @ Nov 14 2008, 07:53 PM) *
I guess it's just a matter of opinion then. I don't think he's great enough to be as cocky as he is. I think his music is overplayed MTV crap that teenagers listen to because they don't know how to find good music on their own. I have less respect for him as an actual artist because Kanye West is less about the music and more about his image.

loool.gif you don't know shit about kanye west or his music then.

so what classifies someone to say they are great then? you don't think he's won enough awards? you don't think he's sold enough music? you don't think he's influenced a whole genre of music? i mean when does he become good enough to be called great? to me you're basically saying no matter how great and how on top of the game people are they can't say they are great. if you are kanye west, you can say you're great, and if you can't say you are, then who can?

so yeah, before you call someone an idiot for stating they are good when they are, i want to know what will qualify someone to say they are great.

applejaxkz
post Nov 14 2008, 07:35 PM
Post #9

Member No: 624,580

Kanye is dope. I don't care if he's cocky, who isn't these days.

T00000
post Nov 14 2008, 08:25 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Nov 14 2008, 07:27 PM) *
loool.gif you don't know shit about kanye west or his music then.
so what classifies someone to say they are great then? you don't think he's won enough awards? you don't think he's sold enough music? you don't think he's influenced a whole genre of music? i mean when does he become good enough to be called great?

stubborn.gif And I wonder why I used to be such a b*tch on these forums. Many members seem to lack simple, basic reading comprehension skills. I know enough about Kanye West and his music, thank you. To me, winning awards does not equate to greatness!! Sorry! Britney Spears has won awards, does that mean she is great? She has sold more music than him in her career, but I certainly would ever call her great. And no, I don't think Kanye West has influenced an entire genre of music. I think Britney Spears actually influenced her genre of Pop music back then more than Kanye West has influenced his, but I STILL wouldn't call her great.
to me you're basically saying no matter how great and how on top of the game people are they can't say they are great. if you are kanye west, you can say you're great, and if you can't say you are, then who can?

Well then you are obviously misinterpreting my words. If Tupac or Biggie had said "I am great" blah blah blah, I would have been fine with that. Because, they were great. They have influenced an entire genre more than Kanye could ever hope to. I don't think you understand that Kanye isn't saying "I'm really talented," he is comparing himself to the Michael Jordan of music. He is saying that he is LEGENDARY. I don't use the term "great" loosely, it's not something I apply to the popular artist of the year or whatever you seem to think is appropriate to call it.

I have no respect for him as an individual, because as normal as you guys seem to think his antics are, I don't. He crashed the stage in the 2006 MTV Europe Music awards because he didn't win Best Video. While Justice and Simian were receiving their award, he comes on stage like "OH hell no, I've never even seen your video so no offense to you, but OH hell no!" How rude is that? That could have been a very special moment for the other artists but Kanye took it upon himself to ruin that moment for them and draw attention to himself, once again. He is just not a very classy person as far as I'm concerned. Not only that, but appearing on Rolling Stones wearing a crowd of thorns, alluding to Jesus?? I'm not a religious person at all, but that's so ridiculous. He's a sore loser, and a sore winner, and that's why I have a problem with him.
so yeah, before you call someone an idiot for stating they are good when they are, i want to know what will qualify someone to say they are great.

I am not calling him an idiot for calling himself "good." I'm calling him an idiot for calling himself the Michael Jordan of music, when he isn't.

hi-C
post Nov 14 2008, 08:33 PM
Post #11

Amberific.

Member No: 29,772

While I may not like most of her music, Britney was one of the greatest pop acts of the last 10 years. No bullshit.

And I think if you release two albums (The College Dropout and Late Registration) that qualify as instant classics and are the firs two albums you've ever done as a solo artist then that makes you pretty great.

*cakedout*
post Nov 14 2008, 08:34 PM
Post #12

just curious, what do you equate to greatness?

brooklyneast05
post Nov 14 2008, 08:34 PM
Post #13

I'm Jc

you still didn't answer my question, which is what does it take for someone to be able to call themselves great then?

datass
post Nov 14 2008, 08:49 PM
Post #14

(′ ・ω・`)

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 72,477

whats wrong with being confident and proud? are you one of those people who does things and secretly hope people would tell you you did a great job, but you'd never admit it? damn i hate those people.

RCKstarh
post Nov 14 2008, 08:58 PM
Post #15

Onyi eff. babii

Member No: 204,660

a lot of artist say they're great. but i do agree that sometimes he should keep his mouth shut, "George Bush doesnt like black people..."

T00000
post Nov 14 2008, 09:05 PM
Post #16

To the extent that Kanye West has called himself? Well when I think of the "Michael Jordan" of music, I imagine someone who has been big for years (at least ten), who has made a lasting impression on the public even after he/she is retired, and someone whose talent speaks for itself. Someone who is that great inspires an entire generation of kids, or an entire genre of kids. Someone who is THAT great is a household name, and by household I mean anyone at any age has heard of that person. That's my definition of greatness, and I feel that if Kanye West felt it necessary to claim greatness to the extent that Michael Jordan has achieved it, he should at least achieve that greatness as well.

whats wrong with being confident and proud? are you one of those people who does things and secretly hope people would tell you you did a great job, but you'd never admit it? damn i hate those people.

No, I do things for myself. I don't do things so that ANYONE could tell me I'm doing a great job, because if I'm proud of what I'm doing then that gives me enough satisfaction. And Kanye crosses the "confidence" line with his remarks, and moves into cockiness.

*cakedout*
post Nov 14 2008, 09:09 PM
Post #17

cmon, he isn't the first person to be a self-proclaimed example of greatness

applejaxkz
post Nov 14 2008, 09:14 PM
Post #18

Member No: 624,580

QUOTE(RCKstarh @ Nov 14 2008, 08:58 PM) *
a lot of artist say they're great. but i do agree that sometimes he should keep his mouth shut, "George Bush doesnt like black people..."

Agreed!

SuckDickNSaveLiv...
post Nov 14 2008, 09:23 PM
Post #19

Drank wit your boy

Group: Official Member
Member No: 649,997

QUOTE(Joannnnnne @ Nov 14 2008, 07:22 PM) *
So Kanye's a cocky bastard. What else is new?

Word, I don't see why anyone would be surprised by this.

This is the same dude that said if there was a modern day bible he would be in it. So basically anything he says shouldn't be shocking.

QUOTE(TBoltzbabe @ Nov 14 2008, 07:44 PM) *
NOT pissed off, more annoyed than anything else. Why? Because when you're at the top of your game, arrogance does nothing but turn people off. If anything, he's going to go down in history as an outspoken, cocky b*tch.

And I don't think Kanye West is "great." Good, but not "great." He could be great if he just shut his mouth and made music for awhile, and let his music speak for itself before he opened his big mouth... Kanye West just comes out with overrated, MTV-type music. Once he's actually great, then maybe he can talk.

I have to question whether you like rap or not. Most rappers are arrogant and its written all over their lyrics. But don't worry, if Kanye is really turning you off you have nothing to fear. He will soon be like every other rapper that was once hot at one point, which is hot then not hot. See this list:

Ja Rule
LL Cool J
50 cent

and plenty of others. A rap artist is only extremely popular for a certain amount of time then its a new person ( Lil Wayne at this current time). Despite them not being a hot commodity in rap as they once were, most of these guys are smart and venture into other things such as movies. Despite 50 cent not being as big as he was musically, he is still is more popular than any other rap artist. He has his second video game coming out. How many rappers or artists can say that?

QUOTE(cakedout @ Nov 14 2008, 10:09 PM) *
cmon, he isn't the first person to be a self-proclaimed example of greatness

co-sign

T00000
post Nov 14 2008, 09:39 PM
Post #20

I have to question whether you like rap or not.

Yes, I love rap. And even though Kanye has a history of such outspoken arrogance, that doesn't make it okay in my books. And I agree, other rappers have made cocky claims about themselves in the past, but not to the extent that Kanye has.

*cakedout*
post Nov 14 2008, 09:46 PM
Post #21

"If you haven't heard, I'm Michael Magic and Bird all rolled in one" - Jay Z

SuckDickNSaveLiv...
post Nov 14 2008, 09:47 PM
Post #22

Drank wit your boy

QUOTE(TBoltzbabe @ Nov 14 2008, 10:39 PM) *
Yes, I love rap. And even though Kanye has a history of such outspoken arrogance, that doesn't make it okay in my books. And I agree, other rappers have made cocky claims about themselves in the past, but not to the extent that Kanye has.

Cool, cool, but at some point you gotta laugh at how outlandish these statements are.

SuckDickNSaveLiv...
post Nov 14 2008, 09:50 PM
Post #23

Drank wit your boy

QUOTE(cakedout @ Nov 14 2008, 10:46 PM) *
"If you haven't heard, I'm Michael Magic and Bird all rolled in one" - Jay Z

Reminds me of that Kanye quote:
If yall fresh to death, then I''m deceased

That was a dope line.

Simba
post Nov 14 2008, 09:56 PM
Post #24

Photoartist

Member No: 399,390

QUOTE(CLYDE @ Nov 14 2008, 06:48 PM) *
Kanye IS great, part of his appeal is how fabulously cocky he is. He says what others want to think but are afraid to say.

RCKstarh
post Nov 14 2008, 09:58 PM
Post #25

Onyi eff. babii

Member No: 204,660

im really wondering why this conversation hasnt gotten to Lil Wayne yet....
he's the one who puts himself in the same category along with the best rappers alive (Biggie, Pac, Jay) come on.... if anyone hypes themselves more than they should then it's him....

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: