3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
macs suck., pcs rule.
*This Confession*
post Jul 24 2006, 06:05 AM
Post #51

I heard macs where just confusing and suck.

And then some say their great.

I was going to get one and see for myself, may still do it.

But I like mac commercials, but ive had bad experiences with macs at my old school pinch.gif

sadolakced acid
post Jul 24 2006, 11:14 AM
Post #52

dripping destruction

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 21,929

well, i've never had to install drivers for any camera either. it is also that easy. i simply plug it in. sometimes windows searches for drivers online, but it does that without me. i plug it in, and in a minute or so, it's ready to go.

i'm pretty sure that if i plug in an ipod, i have to install itunes (that buggers me)

what do i like about my computer? it works. i have the programs i want on it. almost every program i find online or in a store works with it.

i spent a lot of time hating windows and bill gates before. but really, what's so sucky about it?

sure, ME sucked, and gave me BSODs twice a year, but i've never had a BSOD with XP.

i believe i've had one or two crashes where i tried to open files that were just too big for my RAM. but then, i bought some RAM and popped it in. i didn't hvae to go to my computer manufacturer for it, just staples. it was pretty cheap as well.

but since this is a macs suck thread, i'll get back on topic:

- macs run hot. i know the laptops do, but i don't know about the desktops. i assume they run about the same temperature, since they are basically laptops on stands.

- the OS is not intuitive. this is based on use of the old OS, so it might have changed, but i have a feeling that these quirks are still in effect.

for example, to eject a floppy, you drag the drive to trash. i remember learning this as a kid- it didn't make sense to me. i didn't want to throw away the floppy- i just wanted it back. a rightclick -> eject would have been more intuitive in my mind.

and another, shutdown is in special. not the apple symbol, but special. i, who used macs a lot as a kid, did not remember this and spent 10 minutes trying to shut down the old mac in my physics class. the menus are not at all intuitivly named. i mean, special? that could be anything. and the apple symbol? that's not even a name! it's even more confusing.

the macs i used didn't have second mouse buttons, so that was also quite annoying. very quite annoying, and instead of using the rightclick, i had to search through many menus for the item i wanted.

the menu bar at the top, not on the program window. this is quite annoying- you have to look to see which program you have selected before you use the menu bar, or you could delete the wrong thing. i know i hardly even use the menu bar on most my programs, so i'd imagine the menu bar is just dead weight, taking up screen space.

stupid error messages! i tried to print something, and it ran out of paper. instead of telling me that, or even there was a problem printing, the mac told me... finder needs attention!
i mean, what the hell? what the hell is finder? i never figured it out. but i suppose it was something that would have said "you ran out of paper". it's like if there were a fire, and you called 911 and told them "hey, if you go to this building and look west, you can see the problem".

stupid startup order. i don't know if this applies now, but on the old macs i remember having to turn on the accessories in a specific order, or they wouldn't work properly.

- the computers look girly. i just felt like saying that.

medic
post Jul 24 2006, 02:06 PM
Post #53

Seoul Rocks!

Group: Member
Member No: 155,811

QUOTE(forza @ Jul 16 2006, 4:16 AM) *
^ this is how Apple makes its money. They come out with newer, faster products that have more bells and whistles than before and they make them only accessible if you buy them completely.

Which is why I'm leary of buying an iPod. I want to wait until they've expended every possible upgrade. I want my iPod to be a phone, hold 200,000,000 songs, have GPS, make my morning coffee, and drive me to work.

Actually mac makes there money by sell iPods. It and iTunes are the only thing keeping Apple alive. Not to mention the large amount of stock Microsoft owns in Apple has been keeping it afloat since the launch of the first Windows OS.

I own a mac, and when I bought it, there were NO new bells and whistles. WoW, it had a scroll button, my PC has had that since Windows 95.

*mipadi*
post Jul 24 2006, 02:33 PM
Post #54

I wouldn't say music is the only thing keeping Apple alive. Its third quarter results (warning: PDF file) show that the music side of its business has been good, to the tune of about $1.9 billion; but its CPU sales made up $1.86 billion of its third-quarter profits. Throw in peripherals and software, and the non-music side of its business accounted for around $2.4 billion in sales in Q3 2006.

I don't mean to argue all the time, but there are a lot of inaccurate "facts" posted about Apple and the Macintosh.

*kryogenix*
post Jul 24 2006, 02:55 PM
Post #55

QUOTE(mipadi @ Jul 23 2006, 9:12 PM) *
I don't see what's objectionable about that specific commercial. Apple is emphasizing the "fun" and creative things you can do with Macs out of the box, stuff like editing movies, recording/editing your own music, taking, editing, and organizing photos, that kind of stuff. It's simply a fact that most PC's don't come with that sort of stuff. There isn't really a good "clone" of iMovie or Garageband that is also free (and Windows Movie Maker can't hold a candle to iMovie). On the Windows side, you have Google's Picasa as an alternative to iPhoto, but the key is that you have to find it yourself—it doesn't come with the PC. It's simply a fact that often PC's are bundled with "bread and butter"-type apps: apps that are necessary (like MS Office, Quicken, and so forth), but not really "fun". Apple's just emphasizing its "fun" apps. I don't see how that's more repulsive than other companies emphasizing the highlights of their own products.

If I remember correctly, Apple never mentioned out of the box functionality in that specific commercial. I did see another Apple commercial with the two guys sitting in cardboard boxes, but that was a different commercial.

The key is market. You noted that you don't find a Mac to be fun because it can't run the latest games. Apple's clearly not targeting gamers with that ad. They're targeting the moms and dads of the world who might find it "fun" to make a movie of little Johnnie's developmental highlights, or record little Suzie playing her clarinet. Those types of people do spend a lot of time just doing "boring" stuff with their PCs, but playing the latest games isn't really any more exciting for them. Apple's not targeting the gamer enthusiasts; in fact, with those ads, they're not even targeting computer enthusiasts at all, because the code hackers, developers, and computer junkies don't care about that stuff, either. For example, I quickly removed Garageband from my computer because it was too damn big and I never used it.

And that's why I won't buy a Mac. Their products are not marketed to me, which justifies me not wanting to buy a mac desktop. Laptops are a different story though, since I don't consider laptops as a cost effective gaming platform.

And at any rate, the Apple commercials themselves are just supposed to be fun. I think a lot of PC users tend to take them too seriously. Of course, maybe I'm missing something. What do you find hateful about that commercial?

The commercial is misleading, as I mentioned earlier. It's likely that the intended market of moms and dads may not be able to see through it (though I question why they would use a young hipster to target the market of moms and dads), but maybe you can understand why I'm put off by this particular ad. But hey, if it convinces moms and dads to buy apple, that's what really matters to Apple's stock price.

aubbob
post Jul 24 2006, 03:12 PM
Post #56

Group: Human
Member No: 381,065

my apple laptop spacebar is being strange cry.gif
macs suck now!

pinacoolada
post Sep 1 2006, 10:06 PM
Post #57

roosternamedingo.

Member No: 333,926

I think macs are great for animation. However, if you just want a computer for everyday use such as simply surfing the internet, PC's are way better because they're much more user-friendly.

I personally prefer the PC. Macs and I just don't click.

uLoVeMikeRoch
post Sep 4 2006, 08:07 PM
Post #58

Wow, i dont know whats going on...

Member No: 10,977

QUOTE(forza @ Jul 16 2006, 5:16 AM) *
Which is why I'm leary of buying an iPod. I want to wait until they've expended every possible upgrade. I want my iPod to be a phone, hold 200,000,000 songs, have GPS, make my morning coffee, and drive me to work.

Wow, in that case, you're never gonna get an iPod. They don't add ANY new features to the iPod, let alone any feature you can add on in less then 5 minutes. Cough Radio Cough. Cough DIVX Cough. You get the point.

Also, with those commericals. After seeing that, I felt obligated to make my own commercials, except with LINUX. And show my LINUX can kick any mac or Pc's ass any day.

With the sales of their computers. I have met, way too many people, that bought a mac, because "It was pretty." If that is one of the key factors why that this company is alive, then Jobs might as well as go shoothimself.

all i know macs are better.
macs freeze less
are faster
and get less viruses.

I have both and my PC can't handle a lot of stuff
Can a MAC run F.E.A.R at full speed with all the graphic options on and set to maximum? Can a Mac run F.E.A.R at all?

I even just saw a thread where one guy called another a fag for playing Counter-Strike Source, and another guy called him a fag for playing CS 1.6 instead of 1.5.
Wow, I wonder who that was.... < < <-----

I don't mean to argue all the time, but there are a lot of inaccurate "facts" posted about Apple and the Macintosh.
Thats true, but replace the words Apple and Mac with anything else, and wouldn't it apply to everything?

Also, I problem I have with Apple and Steve Jobs, is that him and alot of other Mac/Apple fanboys/users think that they are bigger/greater then they actually are. They got cocky, over nothing, and boast stupid facts. I know this sounds like what you were talking about eariler, with people making smark and jackass comments when you said you used a Mac. But I have noticed this within that group of people. Ofcourse, alot of those people are idiot 12-16 year olds that go, "OMGIPODLOLZORS!THEBEST!!!!!111111ChEcKoUt MyPicTurEsonmysPACE!!LOLOMGLMAOROLFTTYLTYYAOSBDSIUBDISFGFSSHUTTHEFUCKUP!!!LOLZORS!
And thats just them talking in real life, you should see them online. Makes me want to get my shotgun and...

magicfann
post Sep 4 2006, 09:05 PM
Post #59

CB's Forum Troll

Member No: 115,142

Macs -

1) can't run any games worth playing
2) come with crap monitors that i dont think can be replaced (can someone say 75 Hz? uh duhrrr)
3) nice specs, my dimension dell from 2004 has better
4) one mouse button? nice man
5) uh...one drive? gg where do i put my floppys

PCs -

1) 3 drives, this is obviously bad
2) user upgradeable, open the case, replace ur crap integrated gpu with a nice nvidia
3) use whatever monitor you want, especially that nice new LCD designed for gaming =D
4) you can play counter-strike isn't that what matters?
5) kekekek even DELL gives you a better mouse
6) the keyboards are better (dont ask me why, the mac keyboard feels weird)

so as you can see, if you use a mac, you are obviously cool~

/sarcasm

so then i was like kekekeke

oh and btw, whoever said "i just saw someone call someone a fag for playing CS:S and then someone else call that person a fag for playing 1.6 instead of 1.5"

welll.....

YOU CAN'T PLAY 1.5 ANYMORE LOL UR BAD

smoke
post Sep 5 2006, 11:06 AM
Post #60

Pokeball, GO!

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 433,009

As much as I dislike Macs, I love the commercials although they are misleading.

All this Mac talk is making me hungry. I got the blues.

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: