Reply to this topicStart new topic
The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald
HakunaMatata
post Nov 18 2006, 01:16 AM
Post #1

Home is where your rump rests!

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 451,969

Many consider The Great Gatsby the closest thing to the Great American Novel ever written. First published in 1925, it is the timeless story of Jay Gatsby and his love for Daisy Buchanan. Gatsby lives in the New York suburb of West Egg, where those with "new money" reside. Gatsby's mansion is right across the bay from the home of his wartime love, Daisy Buchanan, pictured always in white.

Gatsby seeks to keep his illusion of Daisy as perfect alive. He uses his money, gained through illegal means, to do so, and uses his neighbor, Nick Carroway, to try to reach Daisy. The love of money as the root of evil is a pervading theme.

-Barnes&Noble.com

Has anyone read this? We're reading this in my English class, and I love it. His descriptions are beautiful, and while the above synopsis seems a little boring, Fitzgerald's style is amazing.

nezumi
post Nov 19 2006, 05:34 AM
Post #2

spiritual sister #2

Group: Member
Member No: 252,919

I just bought it but I have a dozen other books to read or finish before starting that one!

*.fire*
post Nov 19 2006, 05:56 AM
Post #3

I think Daisy is rather retarted by crying over all the shirts Gatsby has...

F_L_I_P
post Nov 19 2006, 09:16 AM
Post #4

PHIL ˝

Member No: 6,982

I liked the book but dont watch the movie for it. It sucks!

HakunaMatata
post Nov 19 2006, 12:00 PM
Post #5

^Yeah, my teacher said the movie doesn't even come close to the how great the book is. _unsure.gif

annalucky
post Nov 19 2006, 12:22 PM
Post #6

Lurker.

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 3,851

Yep. The movie did suck and I really did like the book.

letsgoxdisco
post Nov 20 2006, 08:18 PM
Post #7

<3

Member No: 390,880

i read that as my summer reading assignment for AP english. i actually thought it was a really good book. i really loved fitzgerald's descriptions. but like pretty much everyone else has said the movie was awful.

QUOTE(.fire @ Nov 19 2006, 4:56 AM) *
I think Daisy is rather retarted by crying over all the shirts Gatsby has...

I really hated Daisy.

annalucky
post Nov 20 2006, 08:26 PM
Post #8

Lurker.

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 3,851

^Same here. hate Daisy.

StubbornFemme
post Nov 21 2006, 04:01 PM
Post #9

never settle for less than what you deserve.

Member No: 328,920

Yeah, I had to read this for my English class in my Junior yr. in high school. I thought it would boring and weird but I LOVED IT. Haha, its something you dont say when you HAVE to read a book for class. I just got disgusted when that lady (I forgot her name) gets her left boob chop off her body by the car accident.

HakunaMatata
post Nov 21 2006, 07:46 PM
Post #10

^Seriously! Normally, I really dislike books that are assigned to me, I usually prefer ones that I choose on my own, but Gatsby in exception, thank goodness.

sprezzatura
post Nov 22 2006, 10:26 PM
Post #11

Peggy.

Member No: 214,025

I have to read it for English class next semester. I have heard this book is about partying...?!

HakunaMatata
post Nov 23 2006, 03:06 PM
Post #12

^Umm, there's a lot of partying involved. And to an extent, it is kind of about what partying does to you, since everybody is drunk half the time, but within all of that it's a love story (a twisted and kind of retarded one, but still a love story).

dreamii
post Nov 25 2006, 04:09 PM
Post #13

Member No: 21,799

I just finsihed this book for my English class! The first chapter was really boring and confusing to me. But I grew to actually like it! It starts to get interesting halfway through the book though. The story shows class distinguishments during the 1920's, and a somewhat "one-sided" love story. Tom and Daisy were just unbelievably selfish throughout the whole story pinch.gif

jr0h
post Nov 28 2006, 08:07 PM
Post #14

Oh you'd be surprised

Member No: 7,886

Yeah I just finished the book recently and at first I thought the first few chapters were so boring and I pretty much hated the book. But then I forced myself to keep reading because I wanted to find out why this book was so legendary.

I ended up pulling an all nighter and finishing the book in one night. That's how much I got glued to it. The way Fitzgerald wrote this book is just simply brilliant and impressive. He writes so well!

HakunaMatata
post Nov 29 2006, 09:06 PM
Post #15

^Yeah, I'm always sketchy about exactly why some books are as famous as they are. Like with To Kill a Mockingbird, I could barely bring myself through the first chapter, but afterward, it was such a great novel. The same thing happened with Gatsby. After a couple pages, it was boring. But when Fitzgerald began to describe Gatsby's mansion, and Tom's mansion it was just so frigging beautiful.

And I wish that I had pulled an all-nighter to read it, but we discussed in class every day and I didn't want to ruin it for me too much.

Rachel
post Dec 3 2006, 04:04 PM
Post #16

i've never wanted anything rationale.

Member No: 19,045

This book was definently one of my favorites that was assigned during high school.

unconfirmed_exis...
post Dec 12 2006, 06:38 PM
Post #17

I reject this reality and substitute it with my own!

Member No: 486,863

I was reading this book just a while ago for school!

The book wasn't too shabby,
while the movie we watched of the Great Gastby..
Wasn't too bad either but the kids in my class really
had that scene of Tom's mistress (Myrtle I think?)
getting runned over stuck in their minds big time.

Lot of remarks at that part of the movie.
laugh.gif

letale
post Dec 12 2006, 07:51 PM
Post #18

Member No: 487,093

We're reading this for my AP English class.

I have to say, Gatsby has got to be one of my favorite characters of all times. Just to analyze the things that he does and other interpretations of it is fascinating. I adore this book because when you read it once, you just skim the surface. There is so much to this book, so much symbolism and so much to figure out and decipher. I love the characters. Daisy and her deathly hollowness, Tom's selfishness, Jordan's lying...

This book is so corrupt! I love it! I definitely think there is little enjoyment to be had from just reading it. When you start discussing it and delving deeper, that's when the fun really starts. Amazing book, really.

I love the quote when Gatsby is first seen by Nick, when it says, "Something in his leisurely movements and the secure position of his feet upon the lawn suggested that it was Mr. Gatsby himself, come out to determine what share was his of our local heavens." Everything in this book, not just this quote, is so beautifully written by Fitzgerald.

*Kathleen*
post Dec 13 2006, 01:02 PM
Post #19

I looooooved it. throb.gif Then again, that's no surprise. Heh. I'm reading Tender is the Night now. *Squeals*

*T0rmented_Soul*
post Dec 13 2006, 06:52 PM
Post #20

I read this junior year..it sucks that I didn't givie a chance. I ebt it would've been a great book

HakunaMatata
post Dec 21 2006, 04:00 PM
Post #21

^I've done that with great books, too. Well, maybe not great great books, but I didn't pay all that much attention to Julius Caesar and it showed in my essay. cry.gif

QUOTE(Le Tale @ Dec 12 2006, 4:51 PM) *
I love the quote when Gatsby is first seen by Nick, when it says, "Something in his leisurely movements and the secure position of his feet upon the lawn suggested that it was Mr. Gatsby himself, come out to determine what share was his of our local heavens." Everything in this book, not just this quote, is so beautifully written by Fitzgerald.

I know! Isn't it amazing how beautifully he writes? It seems so natural, but in reality he went through like 7 complete re-writes. pinch.gif

QUOTE(Kathleen @ Dec 13 2006, 10:02 AM) *
I looooooved it. throb.gif Then again, that's no surprise. Heh. I'm reading Tender is the Night now. *Squeals*

Ooooh, is the book as good as Great Gatsby?

*Kathleen*
post Jan 4 2007, 09:04 PM
Post #22

^ I personally wouldn't say so, but it's still good!

AimeeLynn
post Jan 4 2007, 09:09 PM
Post #23

here, here, and here

Member No: 206,103

I LOVE THIS BOOOK!!
I normally don't read, but when we were assigned this book to read and i couldn't put it down!
It has a lot of symbolism such as the eyes of Doctor T. J. Eckleburg is God and how he sees all what is happening.
I absolutely adore this book.
The movie was alright but it left some parts of it and I think I changed the ending. I don't remember but it wasn't as good as the book.

*Kathleen*
post Jan 4 2007, 11:12 PM
Post #24

^ Which version did you watch? I know that the one with Paul Rudd was.. pretty accurate (from what I recall, anyway). pinch.gif

YourSuperior
post Jan 5 2007, 09:44 PM
Post #25

;)

Member No: 99,124

We're about to start reading this book in my English III class. I heard it was a pretty good book, but some say it gets boring in some parts. But most books always have a boring part in it somewhere.

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: