Debate Rules

Here are the general forum rules that you must follow before you start any debate topics. Please make sure you've read and followed all directions.

Debate.

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Is Christianity Taken Seriously?
Rating 4 V
Tsukuyomi-No-Mok...
post Jan 27 2009, 04:53 AM
Post #26

Group: Member
Member No: 709,923

Damn these church topics jus don't end huh?

well i think that this whole religion thing is taken as a joke cause people will call themselves christians as far as i've seen so far so that they can feel welcomed in the community since the majority claim to be christian.
the laws by which we are to live by and all that no body ever follows cause the way of life in america is sooo far to the opposite of that that if you were to claim to be a real chrisitian here in america then u gotta be one of those extremist kinda christians who follow the bible word for word and all the prayers and all that
not many people here live humbly or give to the poor although we hold charity events people do it for the wrng reasons
we've got enough pre marital saex goin on and abortions and all that and we are sooo full of sin that there's no way that many people could take this religion things serious nah mean

saintsaens
post Jan 27 2009, 03:14 PM
Post #27

monster hunter

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 18,188

QUOTE(Tsukuyomi-No-Mokoto @ Jan 27 2009, 04:53 AM) *
Damn these church topics jus don't end huh?

well i think that this whole religion thing is taken as a joke cause people will call themselves christians as far as i've seen so far so that they can feel welcomed in the community since the majority claim to be christian.
the laws by which we are to live by and all that no body ever follows cause the way of life in america is sooo far to the opposite of that that if you were to claim to be a real chrisitian here in america then u gotta be one of those extremist kinda christians who follow the bible word for word and all the prayers and all that
not many people here live humbly or give to the poor although we hold charity events people do it for the wrng reasons
we've got enough pre marital saex goin on and abortions and all that and we are sooo full of sin that there's no way that many people could take this religion things serious nah mean

Just because you have premarital sex or an abortion doesn't mean you're going to Hell.

And I guess I'm an extremist right-wing Christian. Anyone up for a good Bible thumping?

QUOTE(WarMachine @ Jan 27 2009, 04:17 AM) *
I notice a strange parallel between the two religions. After being around Iraqis, and speaking to the Muslim friends I've made since being here, I will admit that I have an extreme respect for their religion. I admire the devotion that cuh a large body of people can equally share, and still feel as though they're free.

Most definitely. I'm really jealous of their devotion to religion. I have a huge amount of respect for Muslims, however, I do view their religion as a very dangerous one. It threatens Christianity.

I forgot how it goes, but something something, best lies are an inch from the truth, something something.

I'm not calling Islam a religion of lies, but you know what I'm saying.

fameONE
post Jan 28 2009, 03:13 AM
Post #28

^_^

Member No: 91,466

QUOTE(AntiAnodyne @ Jan 27 2009, 11:14 PM) *
I forgot how it goes, but something something, best lies are an inch from the truth, something something.

I'm not calling Islam a religion of lies, but you know what I'm saying.

The Western world, generally, lives in great fear of Islamic Fundamentalism. To the Christian majority, such narrow minded views on any religion, other than their own poses as a serious threat to the Western way of life. This isn't to say that Islam is bad, because it certainly isn't. It's a religion; a spiritual belief in an unearthly, omniscient and omnipotent beign. This is a direct contrast to Christianity. The Muslim community is overwhelmingly large, and, in fact, powerful. When something grows to be as large and as powerful, no matter what it is, corruption comes into play. Religion is, and will always be, a business in it's own right.

The radicals who believe in the extremism of the New World Order do pose as a threat to Western civiliation, but Islam does not. The difference between the two is as simple as differentiating between a man devout in practice and a full blown heretic. When it comes to extremists, their heresy involves political, ideological and financial gain. They have justified their actions by the will of Allah, finding loopholes in their religous doctrine and openly misinterpreting core Islamic beliefs. Not only does this offend Muslims tremendously, but, in turn, it makes their lives a living hell.

Reidar
post Jan 28 2009, 07:23 AM
Post #29

Vae Victis

Group: Official Member
Member No: 460,227

Islam is principally vile. When my father defected from Iran - a patriotic member of the IIAF - it wasn't a fringe cult of extremism that called for his execution, but the will of mainstream Sharia law in the country that upheld the death tenet to Muslims who one day decide that they don't want to be Muslim anymore. It's written quite succinctly in the Qur'an, which I have right next to me on my bookshelf. And there's the whole women's rights deal, but we like to think that was God on one of his grumpy days.

My relatives are Muslim and I, of course, don't think they're vile people (although I had to pause for a minute on that in consideration of my douche cousin). They're simply ignoring the whole of the "pie", just as Christians must do with their holy book.

As for the topic question, which I can tie into the above: not as so, because current affairs have made the sentiments of the West uneasy and sensitive to the Muslim world. The biggest modern crisis with Christianity is probably its spawn of "intelligent design" being injected into where it should not be (i.e. anywhere). People do not feel as much a need to tread lightly when the stakes are, shall we say, less than lethal.

fameONE
post Jan 28 2009, 08:01 AM
Post #30

^_^

QUOTE(Reidar @ Jan 28 2009, 03:23 PM) *
Islam is principally vile. When my father defected from Iran - a patriotic member of the IIAF - it wasn't a fringe cult of extremism that called for his execution, but the will of mainstream Sharia law in the country that upheld the death tenet to Muslims who one day decide that they don't want to be Muslim anymore. It's written quite succinctly in the Qur'an, which I have right next to me on my bookshelf. And there's the whole women's rights deal, but we like to think that was God on one of his grumpy days.

My relatives are Muslim and I, of course, don't think they're vile people (although I had to pause for a minute on that in consideration of my douche cousin). They're simply ignoring the whole of the "pie", just as Christians must do with their holy book.

So the Islamic Juresprudence is excessively flawed? Like Christianity, I don't find that hard to believe at all. That would explain the "darker" side of a religion that demands, not requires, but demands, such devotion.

As for the topic question, which I can tie into the above: not as so, because current affairs have made the sentiments of the West uneasy and sensitive to the Muslim world. The biggest modern crisis with Christianity is probably its spawn of "intelligent design" being injected into where it should not be (i.e. anywhere). People do not feel as much a need to tread lightly when the stakes are, shall we say, less than lethal.

So would you consider that an issue within the religion itself or an issue of man's shortcomings? It seems to me that man has single handedly corrupted the integrity of religion.

Reidar
post Jan 28 2009, 08:36 AM
Post #31

Vae Victis

QUOTE(WarMachine @ Jan 28 2009, 08:01 AM) *
So would you consider that an issue within the religion itself or an issue of man's shortcomings? It seems to me that man has single handedly corrupted the integrity of religion.

Both, since I assert that man made religion.

Even if we supposed it to be true, I don't see any integrity in devotion to a celestial dictator.

saintsaens
post Jan 28 2009, 01:54 PM
Post #32

monster hunter

QUOTE(WarMachine @ Jan 28 2009, 08:01 AM) *
So the Islamic Juresprudence is excessively flawed? Like Christianity, I don't find that hard to believe at all. That would explain the "darker" side of a religion that demands, not requires, but demands, such devotion.

Hit it on the spot, IMO.

fameONE
post Jan 29 2009, 08:23 AM
Post #33

^_^

QUOTE(AntiAnodyne @ Jan 28 2009, 09:54 PM) *
Hit it on the spot, IMO.

I'll admit that I've been reluctant to return to religion. My mother is "you're going to go to hell" Catholic and my father is a southern Baptist. As I grew up, I also grew tired and disgusted with church, which led to my distaste in the modern interpretations of Christianity. I stopped believing in anything other than my own abilities. As a theological study, I'm becoming more and more drawn to both Christianity and Islam. I've been reading up on Christianity because maybe there's a hope that I haven't been fed bullshit my entire life. And my interest in Islam is an effort to understand the people around me. The only conclusion I've been able to draw about all the problems with religion is that man is ruining it.

saintsaens
post Jan 29 2009, 09:16 AM
Post #34

monster hunter

QUOTE(WarMachine @ Jan 29 2009, 08:23 AM) *
I'll admit that I've been reluctant to return to religion. My mother is "you're going to go to hell" Catholic and my father is a southern Baptist. As I grew up, I also grew tired and disgusted with church, which led to my distaste in the modern interpretations of Christianity. I stopped believing in anything other than my own abilities. As a theological study, I'm becoming more and more drawn to both Christianity and Islam. I've been reading up on Christianity because maybe there's a hope that I haven't been fed bullshit my entire life. And my interest in Islam is an effort to understand the people around me. The only conclusion I've been able to draw about all the problems with religion is that man is ruining it.

It's very true. Man does ruin religion.

But let me just tell you this. It's my opinion (and I'm pretty sure you'll agree too) that no one man can know everything. The pursuit to learn every answer to every question is impossible. Man cannot comprehend it.

Christianity for me is not so much about knowing my theology as it is being able to know myself. We are taught that we cannot know ourselves without knowing God. We are also taught that we cannot know God without knowing ourselves. I believe Christianity is a religion of understanding and fulfillment of one's self.

I believe that through Christ, our Lord and Savior, we can understand the main questions to our lives. Why am I here? What am I doing? What will I do in 20 years? What can I do? What does God want me to do?

The distinguishing thing that separates West from East is that the West continues to put emphasis on "self". This, IMHO, comes from Christianity. Christ said that each man is different, and each man is meant to do something with their lives. Something that is fulfilling. Their calling and purpose in life. I believe we never have we had such an identity crisis with "self" than we do now. I believe this is because of increasing secularization of the American people.

(I think I really went offtopic)

But anyways. Just remember people all make mistakes. Sometimes they make mistakes at church. Sometimes at home. Sometimes all the time. But that's the shortcoming of man. We're flawed.

Brandon, if you really want to study what I think is the main drive and fire for Christianity all these years, I recommend you read "The Call" by Os Guinness. Probably one of the best books I've read in my entire life. I think that book pretty much sums up why all these people all these years have sought Christ. (Not other Gods, but specifically Christ.)

Reidar
post Jan 29 2009, 07:03 PM
Post #35

Vae Victis

QUOTE(WarMachine @ Jan 29 2009, 08:23 AM) *
The only conclusion I've been able to draw about all the problems with religion is that man is ruining it.

Thomas Jefferson traveled to London for a meeting with Ambassador Sidi Haji Abdrahaman to demand why American ships were being attacked when the United States had no quarrel with the Barbary nations of Africa. His answer was that the Qur'an gave them the right to kill and plunder all non-believers of Islam. The Pasha later declared outright war on the young U.S.

Seriously, there's nothing to ruin when it's already written: 4.89 : They desire that you should disbelieve as they have disbelieved, so that you might be (all) alike; therefore take not from among them friends until they fly (their homes) in Allah's way; but if they turn back, then seize them and kill them wherever you find them, and take not from among them a friend or a helper.

Christianity is as detestable in its own way, both in the New and Old Testaments.

I have to say, though, when read as fiction, all the violence is pretty badass. The Bible was not a bad read at all.

codyfrijole2006
post Jan 29 2009, 07:28 PM
Post #36

Member No: 690,765

Religion is just a crock IMO.

I refuse to let a several thousand year old book dictate my life and tell me how I should treat others etc etc. I was raised with enough common sense to know to treat everyone (whether you agree with them or not) with the upmost kindness and respect. These "Christians" claim to be loving and accepting yet they are always the ones on tv protesting in some anti-gay march or judging some other group of people rolleyes.gif all because "the Bible says its wrong" well the Bible also says eating shellfish is an abomination and that it is ok to murder your disobedient child but I guess they just conveniently choose to ignore those phrases and other non-sense rules that the Bible contains. The fact that we have people out there who really take this book literally is just frightening, are people out there really that moronic? have they actually read this garbage? I guarantee alot have not and have been brainwashed since childhood to love this "God" and obey this "Bible"

It's just sad.

Reidar
post Jan 29 2009, 07:39 PM
Post #37

Vae Victis

The Bible isn't "garbage". You cannot fully grasp the works of Shakespeare or understand a good deal of inspired poetry and other literature forms without it.

codyfrijole2006
post Jan 29 2009, 07:41 PM
Post #38

QUOTE(Reidar @ Jan 29 2009, 06:39 PM) *
The Bible isn't "garbage"

I am just calling it like I read it! _smile.gif

saintsaens
post Jan 29 2009, 07:59 PM
Post #39

monster hunter

QUOTE(codyfrijole2006 @ Jan 29 2009, 07:28 PM) *
Religion is just a crock IMO.

I refuse to let a several thousand year old book dictate my life and tell me how I should treat others etc etc. I was raised with enough common sense to know to treat everyone (whether you agree with them or not) with the upmost kindness and respect. These "Christians" claim to be loving and accepting yet they are always the ones on tv protesting in some anti-gay march or judging some other group of people rolleyes.gif all because "the Bible says its wrong" well the Bible also says eating shellfish is an abomination and that it is ok to murder your disobedient child but I guess they just conveniently choose to ignore those phrases and other non-sense rules that the Bible contains. The fact that we have people out there who really take this book literally is just frightening, are people out there really that moronic? have they actually read this garbage? I guarantee alot have not and have been brainwashed since childhood to love this "God" and obey this "Bible"

It's just sad.

I think it's interesting how people have an incorrect idea of what Christianity is and then are quick to judge it and call it a "crock of shit".

Just like those so called "Christians." Good job, you're just like them.

codyfrijole2006
post Jan 29 2009, 08:04 PM
Post #40

QUOTE(AntiAnodyne @ Jan 29 2009, 06:59 PM) *
I think it's interesting how people have an incorrect idea of what Christianity is and then are quick to judge it and call it a "crock of shit".

Just like those so called "Christians." Good job, you're just like them.

Ohh did I strike a nerve?

saintsaens
post Jan 29 2009, 08:10 PM
Post #41

monster hunter

QUOTE(codyfrijole2006 @ Jan 29 2009, 08:04 PM) *
Ohh did I strike a nerve?

No, but would you like to come back with a an intelligent rebuttal instead? So far all you've done was cry about how bad Christians were. That's not debate. Relationships/Advice thread is over there. --->

codyfrijole2006
post Jan 29 2009, 08:13 PM
Post #42

QUOTE(AntiAnodyne @ Jan 29 2009, 07:10 PM) *
No, but would you like to come back with a an intelligent rebuttal instead? So far all you've done was cry about how bad Christians were. That's not debate. Relationships/Advice thread is over there. --->

It would be pointless and a waste of my time, nothing I can say will convince you. The brainwashing has been done.

saintsaens
post Jan 29 2009, 08:15 PM
Post #43

monster hunter

QUOTE(codyfrijole2006 @ Jan 29 2009, 08:13 PM) *
It would be pointless and a waste of my time, nothing I can say will convince you. The brainwashing has been done.

Try me.

codyfrijole2006
post Jan 29 2009, 08:27 PM
Post #44

QUOTE(AntiAnodyne @ Jan 29 2009, 07:15 PM) *
Try me.

QUOTE(codyfrijole2006 @ Jan 29 2009, 07:13 PM) *

dosomethin888
post Jan 29 2009, 09:26 PM
Post #45

Member No: 663,413

I think that individual Christians take Christianity seriously. Our country as a whole, the west, does not take it seriously.

In the East, with Buddhism, Islam, and Hinduism (even Zoroastrianism and all the other Eastern religions), I think society as a whole takes it much more seriously.

As do the individuals over there. From what I know, Buddhists, Muslims, and Hindus live their life as their religion. Their religion is their life. Muslims will spend their entire day doing rituals and what not. In the US, Christians go to church once a week and study their Bibles but we dont necessarily spend our entire day dwelling on it.
I mean, it probably varies throughout the US in different communities and with differnt people how dedicated they are to Christianity.. but not the the extent that the East does.

If that made sense at all.

fameONE
post Jan 31 2009, 08:36 AM
Post #46

^_^

QUOTE(dosomethin888 @ Jan 30 2009, 05:26 AM) *
I think that individual Christians take Christianity seriously. Our country as a whole, the west, does not take it seriously.

In the East, with Buddhism, Islam, and Hinduism (even Zoroastrianism and all the other Eastern religions), I think society as a whole takes it much more seriously.

As do the individuals over there. From what I know, Buddhists, Muslims, and Hindus live their life as their religion. Their religion is their life. Muslims will spend their entire day doing rituals and what not. In the US, Christians go to church once a week and study their Bibles but we dont necessarily spend our entire day dwelling on it.
I mean, it probably varies throughout the US in different communities and with differnt people how dedicated they are to Christianity.. but not the the extent that the East does.

If that made sense at all.

It does. The question is; why?

dosomethin888
post Feb 2 2009, 08:29 PM
Post #47

Member No: 663,413

QUOTE(WarMachine @ Jan 31 2009, 06:36 AM) *
It does. The question is; why?

I dont know. I honestly have not researched it enough to tell you.

karmakiller
post Feb 2 2009, 08:47 PM
Post #48

DDR \\ I'm Dee :)

Group: Mentor
Member No: 384,020

QUOTE(codyfrijole2006 @ Jan 29 2009, 07:13 PM) *
You do realize you are in the Debate forum? You are a terrible debater. This isn't a forum for you to just bitch and bitch about stuff when there are people here willing to discuss things. It isn't a waste of your time, it a waste of time for the people who actually here to debate and have to put up with you.

creole
post Feb 2 2009, 08:51 PM
Post #49

Member No: 676,364

shrug.gif _unsure.gif

True story of Mary Griffith, gay rights crusader, whose teenage son committed suicide due to her religious intolerance. Based on the book of the same title by Leroy Aarons. Stars Sigourney Weaver.

emberfly
post Feb 3 2009, 05:44 PM
Post #50

kthxbai

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 621,203

Jesus himself preached that organized religion was bullshit.

Just thought I'd add that for fun :D

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: