9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Half-Blood Prince Discussion, Spoilers
Bobblehead425
post Jul 18 2005, 01:43 PM
Post #51

My desperate heart is far too weak to run for you this long.

Group: Member
Member No: 150,342

i am very depressed after finishing the book...*sigh*...even though its all fake i think its horrible dumbledore died. i am still a little confsed why dumbledore never told harry he knew that malfoy was the person who attemted murder...unless he only just found out the night he was killed.

////edit

didnt the letter in the locket state that "R.A.B" was going to destroy the horcrux? I thought it did....so wouldn't it be gone already? and if "R.A.B" was Regulus Black, he was a death eater right? so why would he want rid of voldemort...or is that why voldemort killed him personally?

this books got me confused. good thing i get most of it though

mocassinsx29
post Jul 18 2005, 02:13 PM
Post #52

mood: content

Member No: 42,325

Woooahhh, Ginny a Horcrux? I have a feeling she's not, but then again, if she is, there will definitely be some conflict with having to kill her, [obviously].

jordanriane
post Jul 18 2005, 02:37 PM
Post #53

when we speak, we breathe

Member No: 91,760

QUOTE(Bobblehead425 @ Jul 18 2005, 2:43 PM)
////edit
didnt the letter in the locket state that "R.A.B" was going to destroy the horcrux? I thought it did....so wouldn't it be gone already? and if "R.A.B" was Regulus Black, he was a death eater right? so why would he want rid of voldemort...or is that why voldemort killed him personally?

this books got me confused. good thing i get most of it though

Regulas Black was killed not by Voldemort, but by his minions.
For what reason exactly, we do not know.
It's rumored that he was trying to leave the dark side.

If you read OOTP, Sirius states that Regulas would not have been worthy of being killed by Voldemort himself.

The note states he was going to destroy; It does not mean that he got a chance to do it, we'll eventually find out.

sadolakced acid
post Jul 18 2005, 03:01 PM
Post #54

dripping destruction

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 21,929

QUOTE(jordanriane @ Jul 18 2005, 9:55 AM)
There's no need to be an a-hole about it; People have their opinions, as you have yours. You don't have actual proof you're right or wrong, so shove that up your ass.

Who are you to say that's how to end a series?
An author doesn't have to kill a character to end it.
I've read many books where it should go on, but it doesn't have to, because it's just over.

there's a reason for the smiley that usually indicates "i'm kidding"

Individualityy
post Jul 18 2005, 03:20 PM
Post #55

*lurks around*

Member No: 15,932

"R.A.B" stands for Regulus A. Black. I think the A stands for "Alphard"..which was Sirius's uncle's name.

It makes sense too. Regulus wanted to back out of Voldemort's fold after he found the horcrux. He realized that Voldemort was only in it for himself and that he was only using his Death Eaters for his own selfish purposes. He got killed because he found out about the horcrux and wanted to back out..probably.

Now, about Snape and Dumbledore..

I would be convinced that Snape was evil, through and through, if it hadn't been for Dumbledore pleading in the end. Dumbledore is not known to beg for his life, he's a very calm and collected person. So that sort of unnerved me. What on earth was he begging for? Perhaps, as Dumbledore had made Harry promise him..Dumbledore made Snape promise him that if the circumstance came that he had to kill Dumbledore..he had to do it. Perhaps Dumbledore and Snape have some master plan going on, and it would have been all ruined if Snape had stood up for Dumbledore.

Besides..that whole thing that Malfoy was assigned to do..what if it was to kill Dumbledore? Hm? And Snape made an unbreakable promise that he would take over the job if Draco failed. And as we all know, the punishment for not following an unbreakable vow is death. So, it was either Snape's life or Dumbledore's..and if Dumbledore made Snape promise him that if the circumstance comes..he'd have to kill him..then I see a clear reason why Snape killed Dumbledore.

But what made Dumbledore trust Snape? What plans did Snape and Dumbledore make? Is Snape a double agent? Going for the winning side..but acting as a friend of both? Hm.

smile0751
post Jul 18 2005, 03:21 PM
Post #56

Member No: 165,530

If RAB is Regulus Black, and he went about to destroy it, he could of died in the atempt. When DD destroyed the ring he lost the life of his hand and we know he one of the most powerful wizards of the time. If Regulus went to destroy it, he could of lost more than his hand. Remember Serius didnt sound too sure about how his brother died.

Also if someone removed the locket, why was the liquid still there? Shouldnt it of been already drunk? I really was under the impression Regulus Black was not a great wizard. Also you needed 2 people to remove the locket. Who was the other person?

jordanriane
post Jul 18 2005, 03:30 PM
Post #57

kreacher.

he would've obeyed another Black family member.

smile0751
post Jul 18 2005, 03:47 PM
Post #58

Member No: 165,530

Kreacher, hmmmm. Good idea, but kreacher would of had to drink the stuff, so that Regulas could do the magic of fire and stuff. hmmmm I doubt it but it could work.

PurchasedRebelli...
post Jul 18 2005, 03:58 PM
Post #59

Member No: 57,463

I just finished the book and le sigh, I can't accept that Dumbledore's dead. :(

jordanriane
post Jul 18 2005, 04:13 PM
Post #60

QUOTE(smile0751 @ Jul 18 2005, 4:47 PM)
Kreacher, hmmmm.  Good idea, but kreacher would of had to drink the stuff, so that Regulas could do the magic of fire and stuff. hmmmm I doubt it but it could work.

The inferi only came up because Harry disturbed the water.
Either Kreacher or Regulas could've drank whatever was in the basin.

glit_gal
post Jul 18 2005, 07:35 PM
Post #61

hi

Member No: 14,897

I still can't believe dumbledore died cry.gif....i hope snape gets a cruel punishment and painful death in the 7th book.

..:loveee.NuTTii
post Jul 18 2005, 08:35 PM
Post #62

Residential Crazy Child

Member No: 116,897

any thoughts for the title / release date of the 7th book?

I think I read somewhere that the 7th book would be released in two years. But back to the discussion

R.A.B being Regulus is a pretty good guess. JKR does do some research before she names her character. Maybe his name has some answers (I'm looking that up now.)

I have one question about the potion situation, though. Why did Dumbledore have to drink it. Couldn't he conjur up a bowl or something to empty the potion in, instead of drinking it???

michelle_07
post Jul 18 2005, 09:56 PM
Post #63

Member No: 163,849

QUOTE(Individualityy @ Jul 18 2005, 3:20 PM)
Now, about Snape and Dumbledore..

I would be convinced that Snape was evil, through and through, if it hadn't been for Dumbledore pleading in the end. Dumbledore is not known to beg for his life, he's a very calm and collected person. So that sort of unnerved me. What on earth was he begging for? Perhaps, as Dumbledore had made Harry promise him..Dumbledore made Snape promise him that if the circumstance came that he had to kill Dumbledore..he had to do it. Perhaps Dumbledore and Snape have some master plan going on, and it would have been all ruined if Snape had stood up for Dumbledore.

Besides..that whole thing that Malfoy was assigned to do..what if it was to kill Dumbledore? Hm? And Snape made an unbreakable promise that he would take over the job if Draco failed. And as we all know, the punishment for not following an unbreakable vow is death. So, it was either Snape's life or Dumbledore's..and if Dumbledore made Snape promise him that if the circumstance comes..he'd have to kill him..then I see a clear reason why Snape killed Dumbledore.

But what made Dumbledore trust Snape? What plans did Snape and Dumbledore make? Is Snape a double agent? Going for the winning side..but acting as a friend of both? Hm.

i agree. the pleading thing was a little weird.
i really wanted to believe snape was good. i trusted dumbledore. but i should've realized that when snape took the post of defense against the dark arts teacher, something was going to happen to where he wouldn't be teaching it next year. to bad it wasn't him breaking the vow then dying...

i really believe harry will end up dying in the next book. i don't want him to, but i believe he will.

dahding
post Jul 18 2005, 10:45 PM
Post #64

whaaaaaaat?

Member No: 16,660

QUOTE(jordanriane @ Jul 18 2005, 12:50 PM)
Possible horcrux:

Ginny Weasly

Why?
QUOTE("Tom Riddle - Chamer of Secrets; End of 'COS")
"So Ginny poured out her soul to me, and her soul happened to be exactly what I wanted... I grew stronger and stronger on a diet of her deepest fears, her darkest secrets. I grew powerful, far more powerful than little Miss Weasley. Powerful enough to start feeding Miss Weasley a few of my secrets, to start pouring a little of my soul back into her..."

Now, I know that horcruxes can only be created through a death.. so.. who knows. Maybe it's possible to have killed someone, and hold this horcrux until it needs to be unleashed. Ianno.

omg, i was going to post this, but i decided not to.

because...

1. tom riddle was going to leave ginny to rot and die. he was using her as a shell/corpse, just so he can become real enough.
2. i think that it was just taken out of context a little. i think he just fed his soul back into ginny, so he can carry out actions that he would otherwise be unable to do so, because he has no corporal body form.
3. i thought that it would be considered the spirit of the diary, so that, it wouldn't be considered an extra Horcrux.

but then again, maybe it was unintentional. maybe...just maybe.

but i highly doubt it. especially cause Tom was leaving Ginny to die.

::EDITS::

i thought that malfoy was ordered to take down dumbledore. after all, he had tried to send the necklace and the wine, but only failed. snape had taken the unbreakable promise, so either way, had to do malfoy's job, cause he couldn't.

mraow?

mocassinsx29
post Jul 18 2005, 10:51 PM
Post #65

QUOTE(..:loveee.NuTTii @ Jul 18 2005, 8:35 PM)
I have one question about the potion situation, though.  Why did Dumbledore have to drink it.  Couldn't he conjur up a bowl or something to empty the potion in, instead of drinking it???

I think Dumbledore somehow knew before hand that you couldn't just empty the potion once he got it in the goblet. He was the most powerful wizard, so he probably already knew... somehow. wacko.gif

HelloSunshine
post Jul 18 2005, 10:52 PM
Post #66

High Voltage!∞

Group: Official Member
Member No: 29,157

^
I thought that as well. Perhaps...we're wrong? huh.gif
QUOTE(michelle_07 @ Jul 18 2005, 6:56 PM)
i agree. the pleading thing was a little weird.
i really wanted to believe snape was good. i trusted dumbledore. but i should've realized that when snape took the post of defense against the dark arts teacher, something was going to happen to where he wouldn't be teaching it next year. to bad  it wasn't him breaking the vow then dying...

i really believe harry will end up dying in the next book. i don't want him to, but i believe he will.

I agree. Either Harry'll fight off Voldemort or he'll get killed. He doesn't want ron or hermonie to help, but i believe they'll try to. i really can't wait for the next one.

dahding
post Jul 18 2005, 11:07 PM
Post #67

whaaaaaaat?

i think that dumbledore's pleading had much to do with what he drank inside the cave. after all, he was pleading, and pleading for death as well.

perhaps he was fearful of causing harry and the students' deaths, because he kept on saying, "don't hurt them, please, please, it's my fault, hurt me instead."

i think that it was dumbledore's worst nightmare come true, because he feared for the students and whatnot when the dark mark rose, so he ran to the school, getting himself killed. and he sacrificed himself to save everyone else.

confusing eh.

mocassinsx29
post Jul 18 2005, 11:58 PM
Post #68

QUOTE(sadolakced acid @ Jul 17 2005, 6:07 PM)
the last chapter of the last book is either:

the final scene of the duel with the dark lord, where harry dies, or it is harry's funeral, after he dies killing the dark lord.
mayhaps the locket was not already destroyed, but i have a feeling it is.  it's too easy to just waltz into the black manor and have a scavenger hunt...  no,  if it's not destroyed, it'd have to be challenging to get.   regulus black won't have made it impossible to get too, like the dark lord.  so it's probably destoryed, or the dark lord has it.

This is from a press conference J.K. Rowling gave. I got it from a CBBC News site.

Vhari Leishman for Bloomsbury.com - I was wondering at the end of the seventh book would we get into a glimpse of Harry and Hermione post-Voldemort lives, in an epilogue or accompanying book (assuming they live through the book 7)?

JK Rowling: That is very good that, is assuming that anyone survives, I may kill the whole lot ­ not really, don't write me letters. There is already a chapter written in which you find out about the survivors post Hogwarts fates, so, I will have to re­write it when I get there, because that was written years ago and it wasn't really written on the assumption that I would use it as it is written in the hooks, it is really an act of faith, it was me saying to myself "I will get here and this information is the end point and that is where I'm trying to get to. So yes, there will be.

So I'm guessing the last chapter won't be the actual duel because it'd be hard to fit in their post-lives in it... I think.
This site may answer many of your questions. Perhaps.

Another thing backing up the Regulus Black theory:

Peter O'Brien for Easons Ireland - Are you going introduce any new characters in the final book?
JK Rowling: There will be some characters who you don't know particularly well, and there may be a couple of new characters, but nobody really major. You know pretty much the cast list by now.

ichigofan
post Jul 19 2005, 12:42 AM
Post #69

Member No: 143,687

First off The book was a disapointment but anyways I digress
- RAB is not regulus Black because it seems too obvious and JK would never be that obvious.
I believe that 2 People Framed Regulus Black-- which goes along with the story because througout the book we heard about people getting framed for example Morphin and Hufflepuffs Descendants elf. but then again if indeed it was regulus black then it is possible that kreacher must know what happened to the real horcrux which I believe is the "heavy" locket that harry found at 12GM in OoTP.

Another theory that I have made is that Snape had told DD about his Unbreakable vow and therefore Snape and DD had made a plan which resulted in DD dying.. At the end DD wouldve died either way seeing as if he was surrounded by DE and if Snape hadnt killed DD then he wouldve died and then if Snape died the OoTP would never find out whats going on with Voldemort. Snape is now the only link between voldemort and the order and he is a useful member.
I also believe that the reason why DD trusted snape was because snape had the ability to love, which as DD mentioned in the book Voldemort did not!! and he made that clear to harry because he said the reason why harry is more powerful is because of his ability to love... I believe that Snape Loved Harrys mom Lily potter.. and that would explain why Lily was such a "GOOD" potions maker-- Snape lended her his notes on Potion making and obviously she would give it to James and thats why Snape Compared Harry to his Dad -- cuz his dad used his potions and Snapes Spells against him--- This theory would also explain why Snape was sadened when he found out of Lily's death and why Snape despised Harry- I think that Snape blamed Harry for lily's death..

Woah I type tooo much lol well its only a theory =/

I wear bow ties
post Jul 19 2005, 12:44 AM
Post #70

My shoes can eat yours.

Member No: 169,188

Lucky losers. Got the book before me...But, it was obvious dumbledore was going to die. I knew that since the 4th book, but everybody was like noooooo zoha he CANT die. and guess what! HE DID!

sadolakced acid
post Jul 19 2005, 02:02 AM
Post #71

dripping destruction

it can't be ginny.

harry put the dark lord's soul back into the diary when he killed it.

and even if it did go into ginny, it would just be a transformation of the first horcrux, not the creation of the 6th.

*disco infiltrator*
post Jul 19 2005, 05:30 AM
Post #72

Wow. I just finished. Wow wow wow.

Must say I'm dissappointed my hoping for Harry & Hermione to happen has dissipated.

I actually cried while reading that, even though people had already spoiled it for me.

That was most definitely my favorite out of all of them.

And Ginny being one is ridiculous. Is she something of Ravenclaw's or Gryffindor's? No. Also, I believe it was said that a Horcrux had to be an object. Although it must not be a normal, every-day object, an object nonetheless.....However, I don't see how a snake works into that, so nevermind. But it's definitely not Harry. He doesn't just toy with Harry; does anyone not remember the ending to the 5th book? He was chasing Harry but Dumbledore interfered.

creepy heather: i have a theory!
creepy heather: that harry is a hocrux things
creepy heather: thing*
sammi likes hugs: no no.
sammi likes hugs: go in the thread in entertainment.
creepy heather: ok
sammi likes hugs: can you see this?
creepy heather: yes
sammi likes hugs: k.
sammi likes hugs: i think i caught a loophole in her writing.
sammi likes hugs: a horcrux had to be an object; no every-day object, an object of much importance, but an object nonetheless
sammi likes hugs: however, how is a snake, a living thing, a horcrux, then?
creepy heather: isnt that what harry asked?
creepy heather: people can be objects
sammi likes hugs: ..i don't remember him asking that
sammi likes hugs: hum.
sammi likes hugs: nevermind.
creepy heather: lol
sammi likes hugs: but they're living..
creepy heather: thats why i think that harry is one
creepy heather: maybe an unintentional one
sammi likes hugs: hm, i don't think he is..
sammi likes hugs: why would voldemort keep trying to kill him?
creepy heather: he doesnt know? but dumbledore said a fwe books ago that voldermort transfered part of himself into harry
sammi likes hugs: how could dumbledore not know? he wanted seven horcruxes
sammi likes hugs: er
sammi likes hugs: voldemort*
sammi likes hugs: i was reading while typing..
creepy heather: lol
sammi likes hugs: if harry is a horcrux, that makes seven
sammi likes hugs: if he had not known harry was one, he would have made another
creepy heather: hm i dont know lol
sammi likes hugs: exactly.

Perhaps...James or Lily's dead body is a horcrux? I mean, he used trophies from his murders as horcruxes...perhaps he just used one of their bodies?...I mean, as we all would assume, of course Harry would want to visit his parents' graves at some point. But why would she make it a point to include that he wanted to? You never know..I mean, as Dumbledore said, it would be foolish to make a horcrux a living thing (another reason Harry and Ginny are not horcruxes, he already has one living thing; why risk another?) so why not just use the dead bodies?

How was Dumbledore's hand burned?

Er, and did anyone catch that Dumbledore said that Snape had caught half of Trelwaney's prophecy, and that's what Voldemort knows?

dahding
post Jul 19 2005, 06:27 AM
Post #73

whaaaaaaat?

no sammi, it was not said that it had to be an object. it can be anything really. case in point, nagini the snake. it's more or less, anything of significant value to voldemort. himself, which is like god to himself, the diary which proves that he is heir to the slytherin throne, the locket that was originally salazar slytherin's, hufflepuff's cup, marvolo's ring. and of course, his lovely snake, nagini.

trelwaney reveals that snape was the actual spy. we knew already that a spy was listening halfway through, but got thrown out by the barman. she says how there was a disturbance caused by snape, because he was thrown out for eavesdropping on their conversation, "because he wanted tips from my expertise on how to get a new job, like the DADA post."

dumbledore's hand was burnt through the ring. there was a dark and horrible curse that was placed on it, to prevent people from destroying it maybe? i can't remember exactly, but i thought it was something like a poorly performed killing curse or something like that. so dumbledore got an owwie.

*disco infiltrator*
post Jul 19 2005, 07:09 AM
Post #74

1) Yes, I realized that, but as Dumbledore pointed out, it would be foolish in the first place to make a living, moving, breathing thing a horcrux. Why would he make another?

2) Surely you don't think that was the real reason. Trelwaney only thought that. He was listening to the prophecy she was telling, and Dumbledore said he had only heard half of her prophecy, which is the point I was trying to make.

3) Dumbledore's hand was burnt before he tried to destroy the ring..

Also, I do think Kreacher was used in removing the locket. Rowling pointed out several times that his voice was often very scratchy. Dumbledore's voice was very hurt after drinking the liquid; he could barely talk. Perhaps, after time, Kreacher was able to speak, but his voice was still damaged.

sadolakced acid
post Jul 19 2005, 07:58 AM
Post #75

dripping destruction

QUOTE(headphones @ Jul 19 2005, 7:09 AM)
1) Yes, I realized that, but as Dumbledore pointed out, it would be foolish in the first place to make a living, moving, breathing thing a horcrux. Why would he make another?

2) Surely you don't think that was the real reason. Trelwaney only thought that. He was listening to the prophecy she was telling, and Dumbledore said he had only heard half of her prophecy, which is the point I was trying to make.

3) Dumbledore's hand was burnt before he tried to destroy the ring..
Also, I do think Kreacher was used in removing the locket. Rowling pointed out several times that his voice was often very scratchy. Dumbledore's voice was very hurt after drinking the liquid; he could barely talk. Perhaps, after time, Kreacher was able to speak, but his voice was still damaged.

it wasn't intentional. when the dark lord when to godric's hollow, he intended to kill the boy and make the seventh horcrux. however, the killing curse backfired on the dark lord. you must remember the dark lord had just killed to rather gifted wizards. so it's certainly possible that he unintentionally make harry a horcrux, which would explain:

why harry can read the dark lord's mind, and see things from his POV
why harry was scarred, when the killing curse leaves no marks
why harry can speak parseltongue
why harry is powerful instead of weak like neville
why the sorting hat wanted to put harry in slytherin, when his family was gryffindor and he didn't have any slytherinic tendencies.

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: