7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
More Technically Adequate Mods
*tripvertigo*
post Oct 8 2007, 12:28 PM
Post #1

Ok so I just read a few posts in mod perf concerning mods not being able to answer questions about the tracker.

I understand that Jusun is the one that made the thing, and only he would know how to answer certain questions because no one else on staff is... educated enough about the subject...

but dont you guys think that come time the next hiring round, you could try and find people that have a better working knowledge of the IT aspect of the site, as well as how to use the forum application expertly? (proactively, because i understand that your perfect mod squad may or may not apply for modship)

i mean even if they dont have a lot of posts, maybe you can give the person a "special" status for only IT related issues?

*Steven*
post Oct 8 2007, 12:33 PM
Post #2

What else, other than the tracker, would they work with? Honest question.

*tripvertigo*
post Oct 8 2007, 12:36 PM
Post #3

there was an issue a while ago when Sammi tried to make the new VIP Lounge and ended up making the backstage public.

there are sometimes issues with the forum application not working, or resource submissions not going through.

this person doesnt need to actually fix these problems, but at least have a working knowledge of everything in order to answer simple questions.

doesnt it seem kind of silly to have to wait for jusun to decide to magically appear on the boards again (which occurs once maybe every three months) to fulfill the simplest of requests and answer the most basic questions?

*Steven*
post Oct 8 2007, 01:35 PM
Post #4

Sure, but why wait for another hiring session? Why not have some people on staff, or even off staff (it's not like non-staff is forbidden from helping out) learn or figure it out?

Maybe you're an expert on the matter?

*Insurmountable*
post Oct 8 2007, 01:45 PM
Post #5

Who do you really think we could hire that has great knowledge of the tracker? Please list a few names. And I mean if we only had someone that we did hire to answer questions about the tracker then I suggest we just make a tracker support and only give them mod powers to that specific forum.

*tripvertigo*
post Oct 8 2007, 01:53 PM
Post #6

is there anyone on staff that would be willing to learn? i mean i dont think its something that you could learn on your own in a fast enough timeframe, because in addition to teaching yourself the basics of programming, you'd also have to go and research the tracker and the ipb forum application, as well as jusun' modifications and the rest of the cb4 application.

i don't know of anyone that you could hire right now. it's just a suggestion.

as for making a tracker support forum, why not just a general CB support forum (which would be a child of feedback)?

*Insurmountable*
post Oct 8 2007, 01:55 PM
Post #7

I mean I'll learn about it and I do know some things about the tracker but I just never bothered to know who visits my stuff to even care o_O

as for making a tracker support forum, why not just a general CB support forum (which would be a child of feedback)?

Oh well yea thats what I meant just call it a CB support

Do you know a lot about the tracker and such? And god what is your name? Trish or Christina? o_O

*Steven*
post Oct 8 2007, 01:56 PM
Post #8

Hell I wouldn't mind learning, never hurts to broaden your knowledge, but if time's an issue, shrug.gif

*tripvertigo*
post Oct 8 2007, 01:59 PM
Post #9

i dont know anything about the tracker, and i dont think anyone COULD know unless they could see the coding behind it, which is why im just saying we should find someone who knows how to program, who is an experienced architect that can do some research on what jusun's already done.

i think a while back, Henry was sort of our default IT support guy when Jusun wasnt around, and I know he was a part of the development of cb3/cb2 (one of those or both, i'm not sure), and...some guy... i forget his name was like our secondary.

*Insurmountable*
post Oct 8 2007, 02:00 PM
Post #10

Well to add, I think its a great idea. I think it woudl be good to add a CB support in to the support center and I've actually brought something up like that in the past because of all the tracker questions that come around.

^and who are they, are they still around or no?

*tripvertigo*
post Oct 8 2007, 02:02 PM
Post #11

i think that "secondary" guy developed some of the older cb tools, btw.

god, i cant remember the guy's name.

my name is Christina. Trish here because people kept getting confused between me and Kurisu, and it's just a nickname from an inside joke i had with some of my friends in highschool.

I go by Christine at work cuz there's a developer named Christina, and we needed some way for our boss to address us separately because he works closely with both of us.

edit://
henry's a douchebag and has been gone for ages. supposedly he got in a car accident, which is right about the time he was supposed to deliver some heavy backend coding for one of my clients, and ditched me, and I ended up having to compensate the lady from my own pocket (because henry took off with her money). i'm not suggesting we utilize either of the above mentioned people.

i was just citing examples of this in the past.

*tripvertigo*
post Oct 8 2007, 02:06 PM
Post #12

Roxanne would be a good example of someone who could fill this position. but she's inactive too.

i miss her :[

I nominate Josh.

*Insurmountable*
post Oct 8 2007, 02:06 PM
Post #13

Oh alright _smile.gif

Perhaps if we can get Jusun around he can explain it backstage or something o_O although I've tried getting ahold of him like I normally do and last time didn't work o_O Hope hes not having some family problems or anything again.

*tripvertigo*
post Oct 8 2007, 02:08 PM
Post #14

3 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 1 Anonymous Users)
2 Members: Uronacid, Steven

I was just kidding, Josh.

*Insurmountable*
post Oct 8 2007, 02:09 PM
Post #15

I would joke to much, Josh would do it...well i mean if he wanted..

Wow, I haven't seen Roxanne in ages.

*tripvertigo*
post Oct 8 2007, 02:11 PM
Post #16

josh probably could do it if the staff liked him enough to consider him as an option.

to steven's earlier post, no i dont consider myself an expert on the subject.

*Insurmountable*
post Oct 8 2007, 02:12 PM
Post #17

The staff doesn't like Josh?

*Steven*
post Oct 8 2007, 02:15 PM
Post #18

I've no problems w/ him

*Uronacid*
post Oct 8 2007, 02:25 PM
Post #19

Alright, I figured out where the problem probably lies within the IP tracker. I have been looking into it, and it's a pretty nifty tool. From my understanding, it's a database. It's a list of IP addresses in a database that's consistently being updated by it's users.

The IP tracker even has the ability to add pictures of the person associated with an IP address by linking up to myspace and pulling a users default profile picture using their MySpace ID number.

Recently this feature has stopped working. The tracker, however, still works. IP's are still being tracked but pictures are no longer being updated. Some how, MySpace has been updated in such a way that the IP tracker cannot update its database of pictures associated with MySpace ID numbers associated with IP addesses. So, technically the IP tracker still works. The only problem is that it's picture capabilities have been crippled.

This could be for a variety of reasons. We know for a fact that this started in June. Also, old pictures aren't being updated. So, communication with the default photos based on MySpace IDs has been completely cut off.

For now, the only thing you can do is wait for Ju-Sun. Even if we had a programmer here to fix it, they probably wouldn't be able to do anything for days. This is Ju-Sun's code, and for someone else to understand the code he wrote would probably take weeks if they didn't have his guidance or supervision.

Another Ju-Sun would be nice, but it would be impossible. this site is run entirely by volunteers. For someone with expert knowledge to repair the tracker it would cost money. I would not fix these problems unless I was being payed to do it. It would take hours of work. The trouble shooting process is not easy.

I do know how to program in Java/VB Script/Active Directory/SQL/VisualBasic.Net, but that doesn't not mean I want to volunteer hours of my time to so. Especially if I can't even put it on my resume.

*Steven*
post Oct 8 2007, 02:28 PM
Post #20

And there you have it

*Insurmountable*
post Oct 8 2007, 02:29 PM
Post #21

Yep I guess they do.

Thank you Josh.

*Uronacid*
post Oct 8 2007, 02:41 PM
Post #22

QUOTE(Insurmountable @ Oct 8 2007, 03:29 PM) *
Yep I guess they do.

Thank you Josh.

QUOTE(Steven @ Oct 8 2007, 03:28 PM) *
And there you have it

Was that really what you guys were looking for? O_o

*Steven*
post Oct 8 2007, 02:47 PM
Post #23

Honestly, I haven't got the slightest clue on how the tracker works. I think that even though the answer may not have been positive, it was conclusive.

*Uronacid*
post Oct 8 2007, 02:54 PM
Post #24

QUOTE(Steven @ Oct 8 2007, 03:47 PM) *
Honestly, I haven't got the slightest clue on how the tracker works. I think that even though the answer may not have been positive, it was conclusive.

Well, thanks.

This is the first time I have felt appreciated since I was actually nice and that was in like June 06'. ^^

*Villainess*
post Oct 8 2007, 02:59 PM
Post #25

Hire josh Plz.

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: