Reply to this topicStart new topic
iTunes Podcasts
brooklyneast05
post Aug 3 2008, 10:35 AM
Post #1

I'm Jc

Group: Mentor
Member No: 437,556

i can't remember really if i made a topic on this before, it seems like i could have. anyway, does anyone listen to podcasts on itunes? if so, which ones? any suggestions of good ones?

if you have itunes and you don't know what they are, you should check em out. they're free and they have podcasts on basically anything in the world that you might be interested in.

*paperplane*
post Aug 3 2008, 01:09 PM
Post #2

stereogum used to have a good podcast, but I don't know if they still do because I stopped listening to them.

dustbunny
post Aug 4 2008, 02:39 PM
Post #3

isketchaholic

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 516,154

I was surprised that there aren't any strictly asian music podcasts; quite disappointing. I have some NPR podcasts that are just live recordings of some artists. CAT POWER FTW :D

superstitious
post Aug 4 2008, 02:44 PM
Post #4

Tick tock, Bill

Group: Administrator
Member No: 333,948

I love podcasts. I listen to NPR related podcasts and I love being able to listen to Wait...wait... Don't Tell Me! I made a thread about that (the show) a while back, but didn't get much in the way of responses. Oh well.

I listen to the Official Lost podcast, The 10th Wonder Podcast (the best, in my opinion, Heroes podcast), the Official Grey's Anatomy Podcast and I know there are others, but those are off the top of my head right now.

brooklyneast05
post Aug 4 2008, 02:46 PM
Post #5

I'm Jc

i should check out the lost podcast since i'm obsessed...

superstitious
post Aug 4 2008, 02:48 PM
Post #6

Tick tock, Bill

Dude, Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindelof (they are usually the guys chatting in the podcast) are hysterical. Some audience member came up with Hurley's "DPE" ("dudes per episode"). haha

Teesa
post Aug 4 2008, 07:12 PM
Post #7

crushed.

Member No: 20,026

i have cnn's dr. gupta's podcast and vh1's best week ever lol.

DoubleJ
post Aug 4 2008, 07:22 PM
Post #8

The Resident Drunk

Group: Head Staff
Member No: 593,266

What is this NPR? Teesa do you listen to any good sports podcasts?

superstitious
post Aug 4 2008, 07:23 PM
Post #9

Tick tock, Bill

National Public Radio

=)

brooklyneast05
post Aug 6 2008, 08:38 PM
Post #10

I'm Jc

i didn't realize that i never put mine down

common sense with dan carlin
anderson cooper 360 podcast
black media archive
the debate hour
hood hype hip hop talk and underground music
the infidel guy
new yorker: fiction
NPR: intelligence squared podcast
NPR: news and notes

Teesa
post Aug 7 2008, 05:29 PM
Post #11

crushed.

Member No: 20,026

QUOTE(DoubleJ @ Aug 4 2008, 08:22 PM) *
What is this NPR? Teesa do you listen to any good sports podcasts?

i catch most of my sports news by reading the paper or online. do you listen to any?

hi-C
post Aug 7 2008, 10:30 PM
Post #12

Amberific.

Member No: 29,772

QUOTE(paperplane @ Aug 3 2008, 02:09 PM) *
stereogum used to have a good podcast, but I don't know if they still do because I stopped listening to them.
Yeah, they still have it. I just started DL-ing it.

QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Aug 6 2008, 09:38 PM) *
anderson cooper 360 podcast
CO-SIGN.

Others I listen to/watch:
Best Week Ever
NBC Nightly News
CBS Evening News
MPR: Song of the Day (Minnesota Public Radio)
The Fabric Podcast (like the London club, for those who are familiar)

brooklyneast05
post Aug 7 2008, 10:32 PM
Post #13

I'm Jc

^i was like that. i had like 3-4 news ones but then it was getting too much for me to handle/keep up with.

hi-C
post Aug 7 2008, 10:38 PM
Post #14

Amberific.

^ I know, right? I watch an hour and a half of news everyday, which goes up to two when Larry King puts his weekly podcast up (I don't even like Larry King, but I subscribed to it after he had Snoop Dogg on there.) I'm addicted though, especially to Anderson. I could do without Katie though, but I grew up with the CBS Evening News.

hi-C
post Aug 19 2008, 12:55 PM
Post #15

Amberific.

I had to add Countdown with Keith Olbermann after last night. That Special Comment he gave last night to John McCain was amazing.

brooklyneast05
post Jul 31 2009, 07:16 PM
Post #16

I'm Jc

bump

i've been listening to the how things work podcast lately

mipadi
post Aug 1 2009, 11:57 AM
Post #17

Member No: 639,265

Ah, I'm glad this was bumped; I wanted to post a thread about podcasts but the only one I saw was almost a year old, so I was going to start a new one. (At any rate, I'm going to move this to The Lounge since podcasts aren't only about music.)

Anyway, I know podcasts are old news for most people, but I never really had a computer that could handle video before so I never took much notice to podcasts. However, I got a shiny new computer a bit over a month ago, and now I've gotten more into them. Here are the podcasts to which I currently subscribe:
  • Democracy Now! Video, the video podcast for the Democracy Now! news program
  • Dilbert Animated Cartoons, which are really short (< 30 sec.) Dilbert animated shows (not nearly as funny as the comic strip, but fun)
  • Django Screencasts, a podcast about the Django web framework (which, of course, powers my web site)
  • Downloadable Content, the Penny Arcade podcast, which is just general humor from the writers of the Penny Arcade comic strip (my favorite online comic)
  • Onion News Network, the video broadcasting arm of The Onion
  • The Onion Radio News, The Onion's radio news program
  • Railscasts, a podcast about Ruby on Rails
  • This Week in Django, a podcast about new developments with the Django web framework

Anyone have any other interesting recommendations, particularly podcasts about film or literature?

libertie
post Aug 1 2009, 12:06 PM
Post #18

This bag is not a toy.

Member No: 583,108

I really like the diggnation podcast, it's from the digg guys who are pretty hilarious. They basically just talk about the stories that hit the front page. _smile.gif

Other than that, I used to be subscribed to Jonathan Coulton's "Thing a Week" and that's about it.. I never got into any other podcasts although I did subscribe to a few at one point.

brooklyneast05
post Aug 1 2009, 12:14 PM
Post #19

I'm Jc

QUOTE(mipadi @ Aug 1 2009, 11:57 AM) *
[*] Democracy Now! Video, the video podcast for the Democracy Now! news program

i was subbed to this one for a long time. i need to start listening again. i don't remember why i stopped. i don't think i was watching the video one though.

mipadi
post Aug 1 2009, 12:14 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(libertie @ Aug 1 2009, 01:06 PM) *
Other than that, I used to be subscribed to Jonathan Coulton's "Thing a Week" and that's about it.. I never got into any other podcasts although I did subscribe to a few at one point.

Awesome, I love Jonathan Coulton!

QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Aug 1 2009, 01:14 PM) *
i was subbed to this one for a long time. i need to start listening again. i don't remember why i stopped. i don't think i was watching the video one though.

It's good. I might switch to the audio-only one, though -- I don't know if the video version really adds a whole lot.

brooklyneast05
post Aug 1 2009, 12:23 PM
Post #21

I'm Jc

QUOTE(mipadi @ Aug 1 2009, 11:57 AM) *
Anyone have any other interesting recommendations, particularly podcasts about film or literature?

oh yeah well i was following the new yorker's fiction podcast. each episode they read and discuss a short story. they only put one out about once a month though, which is better than the kind that puts out more than you can keep up with but i'd still rather they update more than once a month. i thought it was alright though. it was nice to listen to in traffic anyway.

hypnotique
post Aug 1 2009, 02:59 PM
Post #22

Live long and prosper.

Member No: 478,024

Opie and Anthony lol

mipadi
post Aug 12 2009, 09:17 AM
Post #23

I added/deleted some more. Instead of writing them all out, here's a handy screenshot listing:

mipadi
post Jun 2 2010, 12:00 PM
Post #24

Whoo new podcasts. Thought I should regurgitate this thread, especially since I'm looking for a couple new podcasts for my daily commute. Here's what I have so nowadays:

The list:
  • A.V. Talk: People from The Onion talkin' about movies. Pretty entertaining.
  • Battleship Pretension: Couple of guys mostly chatting about movies. Sometimes other stuff. It's okay.
  • CH Originals: CollegeHumor videos. Funny (mostly).
  • Downloadable Content: Penny Arcade! creators recording their brainstorming sessions. Funny, but rarely updated (last update was about a year ago). I'm thinking about ditching it.
  • The /Filmcast: Another movie discussion podcast. Not as funny as some of the other ones I have.
  • Hatecast: A cynical writer from The Onion complaining about pop culture stuff. An acquired taste, but I enjoy it, which is sad because it's on indefinite hiatus. I think I have a crush on the hostess, too.
  • ill doctrine: Some dude talking about hip-hop and politics and whatnot. Pretty cool.
  • infoMania: Insanely witty TV show about pop culture and media.
  • A Little Bit of Python: Boring but informative podcast about the Python programming language (which I use every day at work, so I feel obligated to keep up with it).
  • The Moth Podcast: People telling funny or insightful stories, mostly at open mic nights hosted by The Moth. Always a treat. I wish it was updated more often.
  • Rachel Maddow: Rachel Maddow's news show. I actually rarely watch this, and iTunes even stopped updating it automatically for me, but sometimes it's interesting.
  • NPR: Planet Money: NPR people explaining how Wall Street f*cked up our economy.
  • nybooks.com: The podcast of the magazine I work for.
  • Onion News Network: Funny news spots from The Onion.
  • RISK!: Funny people telling funny stories. A bit more risqué than The Moth. Haven't listened to much yet.
  • Rotten Tomatoes Show: Movie show hosted by a guy from infoMania. Generally fun to watch.
  • This American Life: Perhaps the best show on American radio.
  • Writers at Cornell: Interviews with visiting writers at Cornell.
I've become seriously addicted to The Moth and This American Life, so if anyone knows any podcasts with similar content, I'd appreciate suggestions.

sixfive
post Jun 2 2010, 07:48 PM
Post #25

Member No: 653,768

Ohhhhh. I listen to primarily musical podcasts, and mostly trance at that. TATW, ASOT, Club Life, etc.

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: