Debate Rules

Here are the general forum rules that you must follow before you start any debate topics. Please make sure you've read and followed all directions.

Debate.

Campaign fund/spending limits have been lifted, Is this good or bad?
*batman*
post Jan 22 2010, 02:47 PM
Post #1

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A bitterly divided Supreme Court vastly increased the power of big business and unions to influence government decisions Thursday by freeing them to spend their millions directly to sway elections for president and Congress.

The ruling reversed a century-long trend to limit the political muscle of corporations, organized labor and their massive war chests. It also recast the political landscape just as crucial midterm election campaigns are getting under way.

More at NY Times

In one perspective, I fear that without a fund limit, business will over power better judgement, sort of purchasing our future leaders with lucrative campaigns, possibly rendering other candidates incapable of running. In another perspective, this may be something that can benefit the economy (in terms of money into 'government', hopefully returning money out to the public.)

A good point
The opinion by Justice Anthony Kennedy made a vigorous argument based on the Constitution for the right of the public to be exposed to a multitude of ideas and against the ability of government to limit political speech, even in the interest of fighting corruption.

A probable reality
Strongly dissenting, Justice John Paul Stevens said, 'The court's ruling threatens to undermine the integrity of elected institutions around the nation.'

For now, my stance is against it. I just have a feeling that this ruling was a horrible mistake.

How do you feel about this?

Start new topic
Replies
kryogenix
post Feb 9 2010, 02:26 AM
Post #2

Sarcastic Mr. Know-It-All

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 29

Probably the most level headed analysis of the situation I've seen so far. Plus, Freebird at the end.

I'll read this thread later. Maybe.

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: