Debate Rules

Here are the general forum rules that you must follow before you start any debate topics. Please make sure you've read and followed all directions.

Debate.

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
youth voting
*tweeak*
post Oct 12 2004, 09:20 PM
Post #1

not quite sure if this is the right forum, sorry

what is the point of this whole youth voting movement? if the kids of age are oblivious to the election to begin with, what makes them think that once they register to vote, kids will take the time to find out any of the political info that would make them smart voters?so, what does anyone really gain from ignorant voters? they dont really care, so theyre going to vote for whichever canidate they find superficially better, so what is the point of encouraging kids to vote when those who care planned to anyway?

imafreakinazn
post Oct 12 2004, 09:24 PM
Post #2

My name is Jason, not imafreakinazn D:

Group: Member
Member No: 18,432

um...i think this should be in debate..right?

anyhoo...i think the same as you. i mean, most kids will vote for who their friends vote for, and they'll juss vote for whoever they want. or whoever they think they want to make fun of more. so i think it'd be really stupid for kids to vote, and they set the age level right.

faithin_felix
post Oct 12 2004, 09:24 PM
Post #3

Feeel X

Member No: 1,498

is this for the george bush/john kerry thing?

rhqtpie
post Oct 12 2004, 10:11 PM
Post #4

Member No: 32,841

well a lot of the ppl voting in the first place dont really care bout the real issues, and r jus voting straight democrat or republican, or jus for who they "like" or "dont like" and if we encourage ppl to vote we could get them interested in the election, i noe alot of organizations that r urging ppl to vote will also pass out websites and stuff for each candidate, to get the voter to realize the issues at hand

Chaos13
post Oct 12 2004, 10:14 PM
Post #5

banned

Member No: 3,768

who voted for Kerry? bush?

i think that kids hsould kinda not vote because there parents might infuence them to vote, but if its only a poll then i guess they can take the poll!

Spirited Away
post Oct 12 2004, 10:45 PM
Post #6

Quand j'étais jeune...

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 1,272

Actually, I don't think we should bunch all kids together and say that they're all universally uninformed. There are a few teens (under 18) on cB who knows their political stance fairly well and I think they should be able to vote.

It's the rest of the kids that haven't got a clue that I'm worried about.

Auktane
post Oct 12 2004, 11:20 PM
Post #7

91 Auktane..

Member No: 52,625

its the kids like me..i dont bother with politics...

angel-roh
post Oct 13 2004, 12:48 AM
Post #8

i'm susan

Group: Official Member
Member No: 5,029

hmm debate debate debate? yeah i think this should be moved to debate forums _smile.gif

xquizit
post Oct 13 2004, 10:43 AM
Post #9

wanderlust personified.

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 797

QUOTE(my_papaya @ Oct 12 2004, 10:20 PM)
not quite sure if this is the right forum, sorry

what is the point of this whole youth voting movement? if the kids of age are oblivious to the election to begin with, what makes them think that once they register to vote, kids will take the time to find out any of the political info that would make them smart voters?so, what does anyone really gain from ignorant voters? they dont really care, so theyre going to vote for whichever canidate they find superficially better, so what is the point of encouraging kids to vote when those who care planned to anyway?

Thank you so much for pointing this out. I've spoken with people who are my age and younger about this coming election and they seem to lack REAL valid reasons to vote for who they want to vote for.

By the way, I'm moving this to the Debate Forum.

Topic Moved.

*tweeak*
post Oct 13 2004, 02:37 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(uninspiredfae @ Oct 12 2004, 10:45 PM)
Actually, I don't think we should bunch all kids together and say that they're all universally uninformed. There are a few teens (under 18) on cB who knows their political stance fairly well and I think they should be able to vote.

It's the rest of the kids that haven't got a clue that I'm worried about.

i wasnt referring to them as a whole, just the ones that they have to encourage to vote to begin with. im 15 and i know a lot more about politics than a lot of 18+ people i know, and im not even all that up on it

Thank you so much for pointing this out. I've spoken with people who are my age and younger about this coming election and they seem to lack REAL valid reasons to vote for who they want to vote for.

thanks, its been on my mind a lot recently since all that "vote or die" etc etc crap started. then last night i was reading my school news paper and they were spelling out the most obvious things about the election that i dont understand how you could miss unless you live in a hole, and i go to a reletively good school, so if they have to force those kids to vote, what about the even more ignorant ones?

lilazneye10
post Oct 13 2004, 06:46 PM
Post #11

neat banner

Member No: 4,994

i tink that kids should be able to vote.. kidz have minds and hearts its just lyke saying male can vote my females cant..

ComradeRed
post Oct 13 2004, 06:50 PM
Post #12

Dark Lord of McCandless

Member No: 16,761

Everyone over 12 should be allowed to vote. But 95% of people between 12 and 17 wont care enoguh, so only the well informed people would actually go out and vote.

Spirited Away
post Oct 13 2004, 06:53 PM
Post #13

Quand j'étais jeune...

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 1,272

QUOTE(my_papaya @ Oct 13 2004, 2:37 PM)
i wasnt referring to them as a whole, just the ones that they have to encourage to vote to begin with. im 15 and i know a lot more about politics than a lot of 18+ people i know, and im not even all that up on it

Of course, of course. I wasn't targeting only you when I said that. There are many people who will straight out deny that teens should vote before thinking and that's what I wanted to address.

Actually, I was guilty of thinking kids shouldn't vote before debating with a couple politically savvy ones on cB. Now, I know better.

lilazneye10
post Oct 14 2004, 12:40 AM
Post #14

neat banner

Member No: 4,994

Well at least youth people should get a choice

*tweeak*
post Oct 14 2004, 03:56 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(uninspiredfae @ Oct 13 2004, 6:53 PM)
Of course, of course. I wasn't targeting only you when I said that. There are many people who will straight out deny that teens should vote before thinking and that's what I wanted to address.

Actually, I was guilty of thinking kids shouldn't vote before debating with a couple politically savvy ones on cB. Now, I know better.

i deinitely think some kids should be able to vote- the well informed ones, but i dont think they should encourage young voters to vote when theyre just going to pick someone randomly. they were encouraging these people at the end of my lunch table to register to vote, but i doubt any of them would know republican from a democrat (i just typed remocrat, whoops happy.gif ) if they came up and started bludgeoning them with campaign signs.

maybe there should be some sort of short political awareness test that people under a certain age should have to take to be able to vote, as that way they would actually be able to lower the voting age without worrying about the ignorant brainwashed little kids who will just go and vote for whoever their parents tell them to. as much as i hate tests, if it meant i could vote id be willing to do that

ComradeRed
post Oct 14 2004, 05:22 PM
Post #16

Dark Lord of McCandless

Member No: 16,761

Wow! I just read this great article that changed my opinion of this stuff completely.

Basically the article said:

1) People vote because they feel it is their duty and the cost of voting is very small.
BUT
2) Since the benefit of voting is basically 0, yet paying attention carires a greater cost than voting, a lot of people will voluntarily stay UNINFORMED.

We need to start dispelling the myth that it is your duty to vote. Either stay informed and then vote. Or don't vote at all.

someflipguy
post Oct 15 2004, 02:49 PM
Post #17

I can't believe its not "Ryan"

Member No: 21,368

our country is built on democracy...so without voting it wouldn't make it a democracy.

*tweeak*
post Oct 15 2004, 03:30 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(someflipguy @ Oct 15 2004, 2:49 PM)
our country is built on democracy...so without voting it wouldn't make it a democracy.

yes, i of course we must vote, but i dont think they should encourage the ignorant to take part in an important matter they would not ordinarily

vehvih
post Oct 15 2004, 09:49 PM
Post #19

Member No: 21,133

For the kids to get familiar with the procedure, and prevent ignorance.

Well you know what I mean..

xquizit
post Oct 15 2004, 10:26 PM
Post #20

wanderlust personified.

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 797

I think the whole movement shouldn't just be about encouraging the youth to vote, but to encourage them to educate themselves and learn enough about the candidtates and the issues so that they CAN make an informed decision and then vote.

gigiopolis
post Oct 15 2004, 10:41 PM
Post #21

gigi =p

Member No: 41,206

QUOTE(xquizit @ Oct 15 2004, 7:26 PM)
I think the whole movement shouldn't just be about encouraging the youth to vote, but to encourage them to educate themselves and learn enough about the candidtates and the issues so that they CAN make an informed decision and then vote.

I agree. In fact, we should encourage people of all ages to educate themselves about presidential candidates and the general idea of politics. Being an "adult" doesn't necessarily mean you make the right decisions. A lot of people are voting solely for loyalty reasons or for some stupid superficial reasons, as my_papaya pointed out.
There could be a lot more young people who know about politics than there are adults who know. Because after all, there are much more educated children there are now than there were 30 years ago.

*tweeak*
post Oct 18 2004, 07:03 PM
Post #22

QUOTE(xquizit @ Oct 15 2004, 10:26 PM)

yes, i agree with that completely. although as the person above me pointed out, they should make an effort to educate the adults as well. in school they try to teach us (kind of, but they cant stray from the curriculum much, so we dont learn much of anything of importance, but ill save those complaints for another topic) but no one pays attention because they think that because they cant vote it doesnt matter. if they lowered the voting age for certain people, people may want to learn, possibly even devolop an interest. however, i do not mean to say that those over 18 should be tested, as that would infringe on their rights, but if the kids were to have to test, then it would be a privlage, which would actually make kids want to vote more, as they love to think theyre smarter than others

*basick*
post Oct 19 2004, 09:02 PM
Post #23

i think agree with xquizit and papaya... i think you need to educate the young people about the whole voting process and the candidates because voting is a collective voice. and when people like russel simmons and puffy are running around telling you to vote saying "you will make a difference"... thats some bullshit

gigiopolis
post Oct 20 2004, 01:24 AM
Post #24

gigi =p

Member No: 41,206

QUOTE(Topheavy @ Oct 19 2004, 6:02 PM)
i think agree with xquizit and papaya... i think you need to educate the young people about the whole voting process and the candidates because voting is a collective voice. and when people like russel simmons and puffy are running around telling you to vote saying "you will make a difference"... thats some bullshit

So true. Anyone who actually listens to his threat, "VOTE OR DIE" is seriously too demented to understand politics, and therefore SHOULD NOT VOTE!! They're making voting seem "cool". Which isn't a bad thing, but then it could lead to people voting just for the hell of it. Which happens too often already.

By the way topheavy, I also have an uncontrollable fetish towards Nike Dunks. =)

someflipguy
post Oct 20 2004, 10:10 AM
Post #25

I can't believe its not "Ryan"

Member No: 21,368

Power to the people!! *RAISES FIST* hehe...

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: