2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
AN IDEA: AWARDS, :]
*Uronacid*
post Jan 16 2007, 11:47 PM
Post #1

Alright, this is the first real positive feedback I have had on this site.

Well, here it goes...

Intro

We have all these contests on CB, but none of them really mean anything or do anything. Most of them are to increase the amount of activity on the site, but do you ever really win anything? Do you really get anything more than just a pat on the back? No, you don't. You merely await next months contest, and pray to God you win the *blank* of the year award. Well, I have an idea that will bring new life to all these "contests".

The Idea

If you haven't noticed, everyone on this site has a "Member's Card". Your Member's Card displays a short bit of information about your profile (contact info, user name, homepage, etc... ), and is accessible via the bottom right hand corner of each and every post you make. I'm suggesting that they add an "Awards" or "Achievements" section to the "Member's Card" and "Profiles".

It would contain miniature medal icons that differ depending on the contest won. For example:

Blogger: The icon might look like a mini silver or gold Blogger "B" depending on the award won (Month/Year).

LiveJournal: The icon might look like a mini silver or gold LiveJournal "Pencil" depending on the award won (Month/Year).

Myspace: The icon might look like a mini silver or gold Myspace.com emblem depending on the award won (Month/Year).

Website: The icon might look like a mini silver or gold "WWW" depending on the award won (Month/Year).

Xanga: The icon might look like a mini silver or gold Xanga emblem (five squares) depending on the award won (Month/Year).

Design: The icon might look like a mini silver or gold Mouse and Paintbrush together depending on the award won.

Lounge: The icon might look like a mini silver or gold medal for member of the (month/year), and a mini silver or gold ribbon for staff member of the (month/year).

I'm sure you can think of many others, but I want to focus more on the idea itself. (although it's easy to think about it.. this is the fun part.)

This awards section might look something like this:
note: actual medals would look a lot better than this... I stole these off google images...

This would encourage people to contribute to the community in a positive way. Members would try harder to compete in contests so that they could win awards that would be permanently added to their profile.

It would also encourage people to move to more than one section of the forums. People would want to collect as many of these medals as they possibly could. They would move to other sections of the site looking for more competition.

I don't see any drawbacks to this Idea... please... I would like your input

Input

Holly: A feature that allows you to click on the medal to view the reason it's on the members profile/card.

Josh: You cannot have more than one or the same type of medal. That way the section doesn't become crowded. (Example: If you win member of the month twice you cannot have medal. If you win member of the year, your silver medal becomes gold.)

kayceeisms: There should be separate badges for each contest. We have plenty of good designers on CB to make new badges if need be. There should be a system that allows a mod to upload a new badge to be added to a users profile.

incoherent: This is a great idea, but it shouldn't be a substitute for physical prizes. They shouldn't put the idea of physical prizes away just because they implement this.

MiSSxMELON: I think there should be a sort of standard, or set way. Like recurring contests (weekly, monthly, etc.) that have medals that are familiar and recognized - not just one-time contests in which people may or may not remember what the medal was for. Although this would seemingly limit contests, it does not have to. Contests that are not recurring could just not offer medals. This way, there would be casual and formal competitions, in a sense.

Kontroll
post Jan 16 2007, 11:56 PM
Post #2

Jake - The Unholy Trinity / Premiscuous Poeteer.

Group: Member
Member No: 411,316

Well, that's a good idea, but if you go on any other site that has contests, they are always giving something away. Money, merchandise, what have you. I think there should be more of an incentive that just little icons in the corner of your post or members card. Considering the traffic to this site is so large, do you think that there would be any problem with a cash prize, or a t-shirt? I mean, I see sites that only have one admin giving away nintendo ds lites.

www.endeffect.com awsome graphics by the way. Check them out.

Just a suggestion.

*mzkandi*
post Jan 16 2007, 11:57 PM
Post #3

This is a really great idea and would give winning a contest more meaning. I think it would also encourage more people to participate in them. Also, I like how these achievments would be displayed on one's profile.

I know it was being dicussed briefly amongst staff members about giving out real prizes as well such as a cB tshirt or coffee mud. But I don't know how that would fair.

*incoherent*
post Jan 16 2007, 11:58 PM
Post #4

the only drawback...there would be tons of different award symbols to make, rendering what most of them to represent useless. although i like the idea, maybe people won't understand what the mean unless it has a link and that's why i claimed they may be useless. i really would like to say that i like the idea and would like to see it done.

QUOTE(mzkandi @ Jan 16 2007, 10:57 PM) *
This is a really great idea and would give winning a contest more meaning. I think it would also encourage more people to participate in them. Also, I like how these achievments would be displayed on one's profile.
I know it was being dicussed briefly amongst staff members about giving out real prizes as well such as a cB tshirt or coffee mud. But I don't know how that would fair.
well i want a t-shirt for the 3 bcc i've won

*Uronacid*
post Jan 17 2007, 12:01 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(incoherent @ Jan 16 2007, 11:57 PM) *
the only drawback...there would be tons of different award symbols to make rendering what most of them to represent useless. although i like the idea, maybe people won't understand what the mean unless it has a link and that's why i claimed they may be useless.

Well, say for example you won more than one Blogger of the month award.

I wouldn't suggest adding two miniature silver "B"'s to that persons award section. They wouldn't get more than one icon for the same award. Instead they only keep their Silver-B, and it changes to a Gold-B if they win the blogger of the year award.

It would ensure that a members award section doesn't become to crowded.

T-Shirts cost the site money. Considering all the contests that happen on this site... I don't think they would be able to afford the number of CB T-Shirts they would have to mail out. Do you want to be in charge of sending out 10-15 T-Shirts each and every month? I doubt it, and neither do they. This would be fun, and cost effective.

*Intercourse.*
post Jan 17 2007, 12:03 AM
Post #6

Yea I think its a great idea

^Also he was thinking of making something so when you click on the little award it will tell you what it means and for what contest was won to have it appear.

I kind of have to agree with Jake about real prizes, because I mean this site has a lot of people go through it and just think of the money Jusun may have made off of this site for him to never really come on anymore as well. I remember when they use to give out the cB t-shirt, and I do remember you guys talking about gathering money together to give out t-shirts and mugs, but do you really think as you guys as staff should give the money you make everyday instead of not even getting paid on this site to give people awards. I think its something Jusun needs to think of doing when ever he has the time to come back pinch.gif

*Uronacid*
post Jan 17 2007, 12:07 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(Intercourse. @ Jan 17 2007, 12:03 AM) *
Yea I think its a great idea

^Also he was thinking of making something so when you click on the little award it will tell you what it means and for what contest was won to have it appear.

I kind of have to agree with Jake about real prizes, because I mean this site has a lot of people go through it and just think of the money Jusun may have made off of this site for him to never really come on anymore as well. I remember when they use to give out the cB t-shirt, and I do remember you guys talking about gathering money together to give out t-shirts and mugs, but do you really think as you guys as staff should give the money you make everyday instead of not even getting paid on this site to give people awards. I think its something Jusun needs to think of doing when ever he has the time to come back pinch.gif

Real prizes would be nice, but this wouldn't take away from the idea of real prizes. You could easily do both.

Also, this would even give minor prizes (prizes that aren't worth money: caption contests, etc...) some value.

P.S. I will add the "click-to-view why you got the award" option to the Idea.

Kontroll
post Jan 17 2007, 12:07 AM
Post #8

Jake - The Unholy Trinity / Premiscuous Poeteer.

Member No: 411,316

QUOTE(Uronacid @ Jan 17 2007, 12:01 AM) *
Well, say for example you won more than one Blogger of the month award.

I wouldn't suggest adding two miniature silver "B"'s to that persons award section. They wouldn't get more than one icon for the same award. Instead they only keep their Silver-B, and it changes to a Gold-B if they win the blogger of the year award.

It would ensure that a members award section doesn't become to crowded.
T-Shirts cost the site money. Considering all the contests that happen on this site... I don't think they would be able to afford the number of CB T-Shirts they would have to mail out. Do you want to be in charge of sending out 10-15 T-Shirts each and every month? I doubt it, and neither do they. This would be fun, and cost effective.

Sponsors would work on the cost. Have some T-shirt companies, or coffee mug companies [haha] put a couple banners on here. But then again, I'm sure no one would want to do that. So, what ever.

*Uronacid*
post Jan 17 2007, 12:23 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(JakeKKing @ Jan 17 2007, 12:07 AM) *
Sponsors would work on the cost. Have some T-shirt companies, or coffee mug companies [haha] put a couple banners on here. But then again, I'm sure no one would want to do that. So, what ever.

Like I said, "You can easily do both. Doing both may even be better idea because the medals will give even the minor contests some value."

*incoherent*
post Jan 17 2007, 01:05 AM
Post #10

another site that i frequent gets members who are interested to donate prizes rather than people who aren't willing having to spend their money.

*mona lisa*
post Jan 17 2007, 01:09 AM
Post #11

Love the idea behind it. It's going to be a bit difficult to set up something like this though. The Address Card is automated depending on what info you type into your profile so the addition of each award would have to be done manually, and I don't think that's even possible... unless the code were modified somehow, I guess.

If the member's blog were implemented, there could be an achievements' page there...

As for giving out concrete prizes (e.g. CB t-shirt, mugs, electronics and what not), there are entirely way too many contests on this site and way too many contest winners. :x And how would they be paid for?

Edit: Donations is a possiblity, though considering CB's demographics?

KissMe2408
post Jan 17 2007, 01:43 AM
Post #12

Yawn

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 65,772

Hm, love this idea actually. . .
I'm not sure how it could be done,
I mean, i think it'd look great in the actual member's profile,
I'm sure there is a way to do this. . .
Perhaps we should bring this up with Ju-sun and see maybe how we can incorporate it in CB4?

What about the smaller contests. . . say like an Anime Otaku Contest, or a Writing Contest, would they get a badge as well? or would there be a special badge that is given to winners that win a contest under the "Interest" catagory?

Overall, I really like this idea a lot.

*Duchess of Dork*
post Jan 17 2007, 11:41 AM
Post #13

QUOTE(mzkandi @ Jan 16 2007, 11:57 PM) *

*sniggers I'd hate to get a coffee mud. :p

This is a great idea, Josh.
another site that i frequent gets members who are interested to donate prizes rather than people who aren't willing having to spend their money.

The money problem is definitely one to consider. A donated print, coded layout, those types of things work though.

Also, I like the idea of a medal or pin if it were somehow possible to implement such a thing.

*Uronacid*
post Jan 17 2007, 12:26 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(KissMe2408 @ Jan 17 2007, 1:43 AM) *
Hm, love this idea actually. . .
I'm not sure how it could be done,
I mean, i think it'd look great in the actual member's profile,
I'm sure there is a way to do this. . .
Perhaps we should bring this up with Ju-sun and see maybe how we can incorporate it in CB4?

What about the smaller contests. . . say like an Anime Otaku Contest, or a Writing Contest, would they get a badge as well? or would there be a special badge that is given to winners that win a contest under the "Interest" catagory?

Overall, I really like this idea a lot.

Sure, you could make a special badge for each section of the site. I personally think that special badges should be awarded to each section within the interest section. Although, I don't think that some of the sections even have contests.

P.S. I thought this was CB4... >.>

You have to understand that you can do both. Yes, you can have prizes, but there is a negative side to physical prizes:

- They cost money
- Will the stream of donations be enough, or will it become unfair when prizes run low.
- You need to know the members address
- You need to ship it out
- People may not like their prize
- After you have won your contest you don't receive any more recognition for winning
+ You get something you can hold :]
+ Encourages contributions to the site

Having Trophies in your profile would be far less tedious:

+ They don't cost anything
+ They stay on your profile so everyone else can see them
+ It's never unfair because everyone receives the same award (depending on the contest)
+ You have unlimited awards (Staff can add awards to a profile at the click of a button)
+ Not much work involved
+ Encourages people to move around the site (to collect different badges)
+ Easy to implement into the site
- You don't have anything physicaly in your hands.

*Intercourse.*
post Jan 17 2007, 12:41 PM
Post #15

^nope cB3, hes making cB4 supposedly at the moment or getting ideas for it.

I think there should be a little badge for every contest, if we did give out real prizes they should be more targetted towards bigger contests. Perhaps the cB next top model or what ever it was called, because they did take the time to take pictures and stuff. Just bigger contests throughout the community. Maybe even for the layouts of the year winners could receieve one. Although I wouldn't suggest it for the contests that are going to be happening soon for this year. Something to ponder on for next year.

I think if we did it, it would probably be easier to just make a new little link on everyones posts that brings up a new winder called awards. Just put a new link where is says [Card] [PM] and add [Rewards]

I would show examples but i'm on dial up and don't have photoshop here to make anything.

*Uronacid*
post Jan 17 2007, 01:08 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(Intercourse. @ Jan 17 2007, 12:41 PM) *
^nope cB3, hes making cB4 supposedly at the moment or getting ideas for it.

I think there should be a little badge for every contest, if we did give out real prizes they should be more targetted towards bigger contests. Perhaps the cB next top model or what ever it was called, because they did take the time to take pictures and stuff. Just bigger contests throughout the community. Maybe even for the layouts of the year winners could receieve one. Although I wouldn't suggest it for the contests that are going to be happening soon for this year. Something to ponder on for next year.

I think if we did it, it would probably be easier to just make a new little link on everyones posts that brings up a new winder called awards. Just put a new link where is says [Card] [PM] and add [Rewards]

I would show examples but i'm on dial up and don't have photoshop here to make anything.

QUOTE(incoherent @ Jan 17 2007, 1:05 AM) *

QUOTE(JakeKKing @ Jan 17 2007, 12:07 AM) *

I think that's a great idea, but like I said, "You can easily do both. Doing both may even be better idea because the medals will give even the minor contests some value." Have a badge for each section of the site. If you win a prize within that section of the site you receive that sections badge (as well as a physical prize... if they deserve it).

Everyone is fixing their eyes on the idea of physical prizes. Although, I don't think that they are a bad idea. I do realize the con's that come along with them. They may or may not be able to implement them into the site due to the cost / work involved. Badges on the other hand would be a fun / easy / cost effective way to give rewards.

However, I don't see badges as an alternative to giving prizes (meaning I personally believe that it would be better to do both), but if they can't give prizes then it would be nice to give something. This would work.

QUOTE(mona lisa @ Jan 17 2007, 1:09 AM) *
As for giving out concrete prizes (e.g. CB t-shirt, mugs, electronics and what not), there are entirely way too many contests on this site and way too many contest winners. :x And how would they be paid for?

Some contests deserve a prize and others do not. That's what I think, but at the same time. Would it be fair to tell a member that his/her work wasn't worth a prize? Where do you draw the line? What would be worth a prize, and what wouldn't be?

Also, do you really think we have enough members who are willing to donate money / prizes to the web site.... their are contests ending each and every week.

*I Shot JFK*
post Jan 17 2007, 02:15 PM
Post #17

It's a nice idea, and why not?

But I wouldn't get to enthusiastic about it, because i mean, yea, it's nice and all, but it isn't really anything... and to be frank, i didn't even know th emember cards existed until this topic was created, so it isn't going to be THAT high profile.

but i mean, there's no harm in it.

HakunaMatata
post Jan 17 2007, 04:24 PM
Post #18

Home is where your rump rests!

Member No: 451,969

I like this idea, except I don't think we necessarily need to change the color of the 'badge', why can't we just add another one? I know the concern is that it might get too crowded, but seeing that our contests are extremely varied, I doubt one person can get so many. I also think that there should be a badge for every contest, including the Anime Otakus contest and any of the smaller ones; there's no need to include only the very large one. Perhaps having a little badge for the smaller ones will help make them more pouplar, anyway.

We might have to wait until CB4, but it sounds great to me.

*Uronacid*
post Jan 17 2007, 05:35 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(I Shot JFK @ Jan 17 2007, 2:15 PM) *
It's a nice idea, and why not?

But I wouldn't get to enthusiastic about it, because i mean, yea, it's nice and all, but it isn't really anything... and to be frank, i didn't even know th emember cards existed until this topic was created, so it isn't going to be THAT high profile.

but i mean, there's no harm in it.

I'm beginning to realize that you didn't know a lot of things existed until you became a staff member. Well, it would be better than nothing, and we could put it right here for you James... because you are special.... -_-

QUOTE(kayceeisms @ Jan 17 2007, 4:24 PM) *
I like this idea, except I don't think we necessarily need to change the color of the 'badge', why can't we just add another one? I know the concern is that it might get too crowded, but seeing that our contests are extremely varied, I doubt one person can get so many. I also think that there should be a badge for every contest, including the Anime Otakus contest and any of the smaller ones; there's no need to include only the very large one. Perhaps having a little badge for the smaller ones will help make them more pouplar, anyway.

We might have to wait until CB4, but it sounds great to me.

I see what you mean, I think it would be, but I would suggest against this for two reasons:

1. new contests are being invented all the time. Staff cannot simply make new badges left and right... they would actually have to implement them into the website...

2. If one member won several "small-time" competitions then they will end up with a crowded and possibly ugly "award" display.

HakunaMatata
post Jan 17 2007, 06:00 PM
Post #20

Home is where your rump rests!

Member No: 451,969

Don't bash James, it's unnecessary and was very much uncalled for.
QUOTE(Uronacid @ Jan 17 2007, 2:35 PM) *
1. new contests are being invented all the time. Staff cannot simply make new badges left and right... they would actually have to implement them into the website...
I wouldn't say all the time; there are, after all, only twelve contests, which isn't too many. I can see the concern with implementing them to the website, but if it would a simple task to add a symbol (which I think it is, considering a new badge will have to added to a user after someone wins, anyway) then I don't think it'd be too much trouble to add badges for the smaller contests. And from what I gathered, these badges would be rather small, so why would it be difficult for a designer to make the badge? We have plenty of amazing designers here who I'm sure could easily make one.
QUOTE(Uronacid @ Jan 17 2007, 2:35 PM) *
2. If one member won several "small-time" competitions then they will end up with a crowded and possibly ugly "award" display.
There aren't many "small-time" competitions, so I can't imagine anyone's getting too crowded.

*incoherent*
post Jan 17 2007, 06:26 PM
Post #21

QUOTE(Uronacid @ Jan 17 2007, 11:26 AM) *
- They cost money
- Will the stream of donations be enough, or will it become unfair when prizes run low.
- You need to know the members address
- You need to ship it out
- People may not like their prize
- After you have won your contest you don't receive any more recognition for winning
+ You get something you can hold :]
then they shouldn't enter the contest. not everyone likes everything, that's a given fact, but it should be announced in the thread at the beginning if there is a prize and what it should be.

*Uronacid*
post Jan 17 2007, 06:41 PM
Post #22

QUOTE(kayceeisms @ Jan 17 2007, 6:00 PM) *
Don't bash James, it's unnecessary and was very much uncalled for.
I wouldn't say all the time; there are, after all, only twelve contests, which isn't too many. I can see the concern with implementing them to the website, but if it would a simple task to add a symbol (which I think it is, considering a new badge will have to added to a user after someone wins, anyway) then I don't think it'd be too much trouble to add badges for the smaller contests. And from what I gathered, these badges would be rather small, so why would it be difficult for a designer to make the badge? We have plenty of amazing designers here who I'm sure could easily make one.
There aren't many "small-time" competitions, so I can't imagine anyone's getting too crowded.

Alright... agreed, I'll add it to the top.

QUOTE(incoherent @ Jan 17 2007, 6:26 PM) *
then they shouldn't enter the contest. not everyone likes everything, that's a given fact, but it should be announced in the thread at the beginning if there is a prize and what it should be.

Yes, they should announce the prizes, but we want to encourage people to enter contests. Also, I've said it over and over, "THEY CAN DO BOTH!"

I will add this.

*My Cinderella.*
post Jan 17 2007, 07:43 PM
Post #23

I think that this is a good idea. _smile.gif It'll definately encourage people to contribute and take part in the community. I'm sure one of our designers can generate a little medal. But like the others said, we shouldn't hold TOO many contests, it might crowd up their space (if they do end up earning several medals.) I'm all for this idea otherwise.

*Uronacid*
post Jan 17 2007, 07:45 PM
Post #24

QUOTE(My Cinderella. @ Jan 17 2007, 7:43 PM) *
I think that this is a good idea. _smile.gif It'll definately encourage people to contribute and take part in the community. I'm sure one of our designers can generate a little medal. But like the others said, we shouldn't hold TOO many contests, it might crowd up their space (if they do end up earning several medals.) I'm all for this idea otherwise.

Do you have any ideas?

MiSSxMELON
post Jan 20 2007, 03:42 PM
Post #25

Member No: 9,257

I am for the idea of giving out medals as prizes for contests. However, before it is implemented (if it ever is), there is much organization to be done.

For instance, I don't think just anyone should be able to create a contest and a medal. There would be way too many, and it would be difficult to keep track. However, I think everyone should have the chance to create a contest. It should be submitted (with a medal graphic), like how graphics and layouts have their own submission form. This way people could keep track of contests and make sure they're well organized.

And, I think there should be a sort of standard, or set way. Like recurring contests (weekly, monthly, etc.) that have medals that are familiar and recognized - not just one-time contests in which people may or may not remember what the medal was for. Although this would seemingly limit contests, it does not have to. Contests that are not recurring could just not offer medals. This way, there would be casual and formal competitions, in a sense.

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: