Reply to this topicStart new topic
Arrest ordered for mom of boy, 13, resisting chemo, Are you effin kiddin me?
illriginal
post May 19 2009, 04:56 PM
Post #1

Group: Official Member
Member No: 455,274

NEW ULM, Minn. – A judge issued an arrest warrant Tuesday for the mother of a 13-year-old boy resisting chemotherapy after the pair missed a court hearing on his welfare.

Brown County District Judge John Rodenberg also ordered that Daniel Hauser be placed in protective custody so he can get proper medical treatment for Hodgkin's lymphoma.

The cancer is considered highly curable with proper treatment, but Daniel quit chemo after a single treatment and with his parents opted instead for "alternative medicines," citing religious beliefs. That led authorities to seek custody. Rodenberg last week ruled that Daniel's parents, Colleen and Anthony Hauser, were medically neglecting their son.

The family was due in court Tuesday to tell the judge results of a chest X-ray and arrangements for an oncologist. But Daniel's father was the only one who appeared. He told Rodenberg he last saw Colleen Hauser on Monday evening.

"She said she was going to leave," Hauser testified. "She said, `That's all you need to know.' And that's all I know."

He said his wife left her cell phone at home.

The family's doctor, James Joyce, testified by telephone that Daniel's tumor has grown and he needs immediate assessment by a pediatric cancer doctor.

Joyce said he examined Daniel on Monday, with an X-ray showing that his tumor had grown to the size it was when he was first diagnosed.

"He had basically gotten back all the trouble he had in January," the doctor said.

Daniel was accompanied by his mother and Susan Daya, who Joyce said was an attorney from California.

Joyce testified that he offered to make appointments for Daniel with oncologists at Children's Hospital, the University of Minnesota, Mayo Clinic or elsewhere, but the Hausers declined.

He also said he tried to give Daniel more information about lymphoma but that Daya, Daniel and his mother left in a rush.

"Under Susan Daya's urging, they indicated they had other places to go," Joyce said.

Daya did not immediately return a page left on her cell phone Tuesday by The Associated Press. Her voice mailbox was full.

Besides examining Daniel's chest X-ray, Joyce also said he asked Daniel how he was feeling. The doctor said the boy told him he had pain on the right side of his chest, which Daniel rated a 10 on a scale of 1 to 10.

Joyce said the pain was around the port that was inserted into Daniel's chest to administer chemotherapy. He attributed the pain to the growing tumor, which is pushing the port out of place.

Daniel also told the doctor he had a cough, though he wasn't having any trouble breathing, Joyce said.

Daniel's court-appointed attorney, Phil Elbert, asked Joyce if Daniel was at risk of substantial physical harm if no action is taken. The doctor said yes.

In his ruling last week, Rodenberg wrote that he would not order chemotherapy if Daniel's prognosis was poor. But if the outlook was good, it appeared chemotherapy and possibly radiation was in the boy's best interest, he wrote.

Daniel's lymphoma was diagnosed in January, and six rounds of chemotherapy were recommended. Daniel underwent one round in February but stopped after that single treatment. He and his parents sought other opinions, but the doctors agreed with the initial assessment.

Colleen Hauser testified at the earlier hearing that her son "is not in any medical danger." She said she had been treating his cancer with herbal supplements, vitamins, ionized water and other natural alternatives.

Rodenberg wrote that state statutes require parents to provide necessary medical care for a child. The statutes say alternative and complementary health care methods aren't enough.

He also wrote that Daniel, who cannot read, did not understand the risks and benefits of chemotherapy and didn't believe he was ill.

Daniel testified that he believed the chemo would kill him and told the judge in private testimony unsealed later that if anyone tried to force him to take it, "I'd fight it. I'd punch them and I'd kick them."

The Hausers, who have eight children, are Roman Catholic. They also believe in the "do no harm" philosophy of the Nemenhah Band, a Missouri-based religious group that believes in natural healing methods advocated by some American Indians.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090519/ap_on_...us_forced_chemo

Government needs to stay out of people's lives. This is ridiculous. If I was the mother I'd just move out the country, f*ck this tyranny.

brooklyneast05
post May 19 2009, 04:59 PM
Post #2

I'm Jc

Group: Mentor
Member No: 437,556

she's a shitty mother who'd rather let her son die than get medical treatment that has a 90% chance of curing him. what was his survival rate without it, 5%? i think so. i don't care about her really. i don't care if parents who get in trouble for medical neglect get arrested. feel bad for the kid.

illriginal
post May 19 2009, 05:10 PM
Post #3

The alternative might in fact do the trick. Monks from Tibet have never gotten cancer and that's due to the fact that they eat and drink natural foods, including herbal teas made with apricot seeds for example.

brooklyneast05
post May 19 2009, 05:15 PM
Post #4

I'm Jc

QUOTE(illriginal @ May 19 2009, 05:10 PM) *
The alternative might in fact do the trick. Monks from Tibet have never gotten cancer and that's due to the fact that they eat and drink natural foods, including herbal teas made with apricot seeds for example.

you can source that cause i don't know how to know if a monk in tibet has ever gotten cancer or not. but besides that, what does them never getting cancer have to do with this? this boy already has cancer. unless you have examples of monks in tibet getting rid of cancer via apricot tea then i don't get the relation really. it's too late to save him from never getting it.

if there was a 90% cure rate for his cancer by drinking natural tea or something then i'd be all for it, but i don't believe that's the case. that's the problem. neglecting something that's probable to work against his specific cancer in favor of something not probable to work.

none345678
post May 19 2009, 05:20 PM
Post #5

Sex, Blood, & RocknRoll

Group: People Staff
Member No: 596,480

Preventing it and curing it is different though. It's possible though people have survived cancer without chemo. Possible just not probable.

The parents are responsible for the kids life. You would think they would do all that is in there power to save the child.

illriginal
post May 19 2009, 05:21 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ May 19 2009, 06:15 PM) *
you can source that cause i don't know how to know if a monk in tibet has ever gotten cancer or not. but besides that, what does them never getting cancer have to do with this? this boy already has cancer. unless you have examples of monks in tibet getting rid of cancer via apricot tea then i don't get the relation really. it's too late to save him from never getting it.

if there was a 90% cure rate for his cancer by drinking natural tea or something then i'd be all for it, but i don't believe that's the case. that's the problem. neglecting something that's probable to work against his specific cancer in favor of something not probable to work.

Google it if you care.

brooklyneast05
post May 19 2009, 05:22 PM
Post #7

I'm Jc

you ignored my main point, which was that them not getting cancer is irrelevant because this about someone who already has it.

QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ May 19 2009, 05:15 PM) *
but besides that, what does them never getting cancer have to do with this? this boy already has cancer. unless you have examples of monks in tibet getting rid of cancer via apricot tea then i don't get the relation really. it's too late to save him from never getting it.

QUOTE(IWontRapeYou @ May 19 2009, 05:20 PM) *
Preventing it and curing it is different though.

illriginal
post May 19 2009, 05:28 PM
Post #8

No I got the point.. I'm talkin about the Tibetan Monks.

hypnotique
post May 19 2009, 05:39 PM
Post #9

Live long and prosper.

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 478,024

Im wondering if anyone bothered to ask what kind of treatment the boy wanted.

I dont care if hes only 13 and legally useless but hes the one suffering. I hate when people shove new age shit on children because they think its the best thing without any or very little regard to the child.

brooklyneast05
post May 19 2009, 05:41 PM
Post #10

I'm Jc

^ maybe you should read the story then? it's in the first post.

He also wrote that Daniel, who cannot read, did not understand the risks and benefits of chemotherapy and didn't believe he was ill.

Daniel testified that he believed the chemo would kill him and told the judge in private testimony unsealed later that if anyone tried to force him to take it, "I'd fight it. I'd punch them and I'd kick them."

the kid thinks he's not even sick, you think he's in the right mind to make a choice like this? i personally don't. people are crazy i swear

ley
post May 19 2009, 05:47 PM
Post #11

Ley <3

Group: Member
Member No: 664,894

QUOTE(hypnotique @ May 19 2009, 05:39 PM) *
Im wondering if anyone bothered to ask what kind of treatment the boy wanted.

I dont care if hes only 13 and legally useless but hes the one suffering. I hate when people shove new age shit on children because they think its the best thing without any or very little regard to the child.

I believe you must be 18 before you can decide to kill yourself, or refuse treatment as they tend to call it.

batman
post May 19 2009, 06:02 PM
Post #12

Member No: 696,018

Wait, so exactly what part of the Roman Catholic religion forbids radiation? I'm not really familiar with it, but I do know that the bible says to take care of your body, the temple, so wouldn't doing whatever you can to survive and keep your body healthy be what you're supposed to do?

illriginal
post May 19 2009, 06:07 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(kaijubot @ May 19 2009, 07:02 PM) *
Wait, so exactly what part of the Roman Catholic religion forbids radiation? I'm not really familiar with it, but I do know that the bible says to take care of your body, the temple, so wouldn't doing whatever you can to survive and keep your body healthy be what you're supposed to do?

I personally find radiation to be too harmful.

The reason why cancer exists is because of the f*cked up nutrition and the chemicals they put in our water. Lets not concentrate on fixing problems after they occurred (cancer), instead lets stop the ridiculous shit they're putting into our bodies that later accumulates into cancer.

karmakiller
post May 19 2009, 06:24 PM
Post #14

DDR \\ I'm Dee :)

Member No: 384,020

^ There are plenty of people who eat organic and purify their water and still get cancer. Cancer is more than what you put into your body. I have no idea where the Tibetan Monks came into play... that doesn't have anything to do with parents neglecting their children.

QUOTE(kaijubot @ May 19 2009, 06:02 PM) *
That's what I was wondering. It sounds like they've brainwashed their child.

illriginal
post May 19 2009, 06:26 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(karmakiller @ May 19 2009, 07:24 PM) *
^ There are plenty of people who eat organic and purify their water and still get cancer. Cancer is more than what you put into your body. I have no idea where the Tibetan Monks came into play... that doesn't have anything to do with parents neglecting their children.

That's what I was wondering. It sounds like they've brainwashed their child.

If they're eating organic food and drinking water straight from springs... no way in hell should they get cancer, if anything, skin cancer.. And my point with Tibetan Monks is.. there's no record of these people getting any form of cancer. Why? Because they live healthy life styles.

karmakiller
post May 19 2009, 07:52 PM
Post #16

Well I haven't seen any information about Tibetan Monks and their health. You act like what you eat and drink can determine whether or not you get cancer, but there are other factors that diet can't overcompensate for.

I just don't understand these parents. Why would they want their son to suffer in pain and let him die when something can be done for him? You'd think that they would think that their god would be forgiving of them for getting their son chemo and letting him live.

illriginal
post May 19 2009, 08:28 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(karmakiller @ May 19 2009, 08:52 PM) *
Well I haven't seen any information about Tibetan Monks and their health. You act like what you eat and drink can determine whether or not you get cancer, but there are other factors that diet can't overcompensate for.

Aspartame? Or how about "bleached" grains? Like bread and rice? Or even fluoride? wink.gif

karmakiller
post May 19 2009, 08:50 PM
Post #18

I never ate organic, but I didn't consume much white flour or artificial sweeteners and I get my water from the ground... not the city... trust me there's more to cancer than that.

none345678
post May 19 2009, 08:57 PM
Post #19

Sex, Blood, & RocknRoll

Group: People Staff
Member No: 596,480

Not to mention that just because there wasn't a reported case dosen't mean one of the monks dies from a cancer.

Teesa
post May 20 2009, 09:01 AM
Post #20

crushed.

Member No: 20,026

are you kidding me? cancer has so much more to do than your diet. yes, of course some of the causes are can be from eating unhealthy or for not exercising or whatever. but so much of it has to do with a person's family history. you can't avoid that no matter what kinds of foods you eat. also, just the simple fact of getting older puts people at a higher risk of getting cancer, so i doubt people can prevent that from happening (although this fact does not apply to this story)

and i did some quick searches, but can't find anything about tibetan monks and their lack of getting cancer, so i would love to hear where you got that information.

i feel terrible for the boy for having such a disgustingly awful mother. the efficacy rates for alternative medicine or whatever she is seeking do not even come close to the potential 95% effectiveness of chemotherapy. the boy has hodgkin's lymphoma which is one of the most curable cancers if detected early-and can even be treated with high success rates in the later stages! why even take a chance with other types of medicine when the boy responded well to the first round of chemotherapy? yes, side effects are a concern, but if the treatment will likely save your son's life...sorry if i am sounding close-minded, but this story made me so incredibly upset.

datass
post May 20 2009, 10:27 AM
Post #21

(′ ・ω・`)

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 72,477

^thank you.

eating good doesnt mean you wont get cancer. where the hell did you come up with that information?

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: