cvchango

Group: Human
Member No: 332,717

star warsss
monty python

*Kathleen*
post Jul 28 2006, 01:41 PM
Post #53

I just remembered this: Wedding Crashers. I'm sorry, but I didn't laugh one SINGLE time that entire movie.

dispn0ygonekrazy
post Jul 28 2006, 01:49 PM
Post #54

*Influential Guitarist & Inspiring Writer*

Group: Official Member
Member No: 51,134

Overrated Movie....hmmm maybe..... I dont know....Titanic...yeah...3-4 hours of uhhm one dude whose gonna die eventually lol...Star Wars 3 probably... I didnt even watch through the whole thing...lost its touch..lol

jue
post Jul 28 2006, 03:24 PM
Post #55

Group: Member
Member No: 132,134

QUOTE(Kathleen @ Jul 23 2006, 4:35 AM) *
I can't believe Lord of the Rings was mentioned in this topic. If Star Wars was mentioned, I probably would've had to hurt someone.

ohmy.gif If anyone were to say Star wars, they recieve a beat down from me. rolleyes.gif

Edit-- omgomgomg. dispn0ygonekrazy&cvchango . get ready for a beatdown!
nah im jp

lalalaLANUH
post Jul 28 2006, 03:36 PM
Post #56

peace&love, earth flower

Member No: 398,938

Titanic, Napoleon Dynamite, Lord of the Rings (liked the books better), Harry Potter (liked the books better)

smoke
post Jul 28 2006, 03:37 PM
Post #57

Pokeball, GO!

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 433,009

QUOTE(Kathleen @ Jul 23 2006, 4:35 AM) *
I can't believe Lord of the Rings was mentioned in this topic.

I couldn't agree more haha. It's a classic. I guess it doesn't appeal to the short attention span of todays teens. And the fact that you actually have to THINK to understand and put it all together. It's a brilliant trilogy.

I know it's been mentioned, but Titanic was so ridiculous. Ok, I liked the movie but it isn't OMFG LIKE THebEsT mOvIe EVAR!!!!!1!3 People went insane over that movie when it was in theatres.

mznikki
post Jul 28 2006, 03:42 PM
Post #58

Nikkie

Member No: 28,991

QUOTE(x___F0RG0TTEN @ Jul 26 2006, 10:37 PM) *
yah i would probably say Napoleon Dynamite. i mean there were a few really funny parts.. but overall, it wasn't all that great.

agreed. & same with serving sara.

*baby_in_blue*
post Jul 28 2006, 03:43 PM
Post #59

couldnt agree with you more

technicolour
post Jul 28 2006, 03:51 PM
Post #60

show me a garden thats bursting to life

Member No: 115,987

Somebody seriously posted Lord of the Rings?

Wow. Attention spans reeeaaalllyyyy are shrinking these days.

NoSex
post Jul 30 2006, 07:12 AM
Post #61

in the reverb chamber.

Member No: 300,308

QUOTE(ROARxD @ Jul 28 2006, 3:24 PM) *
ohmy.gif If anyone were to say Star wars, they recieve a beat down from me. rolleyes.gif

QUOTE(Acid Bath Slayer @ Jul 25 2006, 3:27 PM) *
Sure, you can disagree all you want. But, why?
The old trilogy was an epic of technological advancements in film. For that reason, and near that reason alone, it became quite the phenomena. The plot was unoriginal, and covered little ground. Characters were enjoyable, but were hurt by a lack of development, bad direction, no real performances, and some terrible written dialouge. To say the least, it was cheesy. And, for being an Action/Adventure Sci-fi epic, it never really thrilled me. In fact, I always prefered the comedic side of the trilogy. Still Harrison Ford is the only thing I will revisit the original trilogy for. That's it. Han Solo is a bad ass.

I would say that the original trilogy is way overrated. But, that's because it has a certain charm to it. It isn't really that fantastic of a film, but even I would overrate it. I would give it higher marks just because of its enormous cult status and charm. However, I would never pay the same respects to the shit box of aborted fetuses that was the new trilogy.

These new films were a disgusting mess. Totally lacking in the charm that was present in the original trilogy. Worse characters, worse direction, over acting. I felt ill leaving the theater they were so bad. But, people still praised them. Left, right, up, and down. The problem is, we aren't playing the same game here. When the original trilogy was made it was a huge step forward in technological advancements. The effects were awe inspiting in 1977. It amazed audiences all around the world. It was also a lower budget, per-hollywood-god production. The new trilogy losses the charm, and does worse what the original could barely do in the realm of sophisticated story telling. The film is pedestrian and simple, because of this it can reach a wide audience. That's why it is such a successful franchise, and also why it is such an overrated series of films.

But, as I had said before, if it wasn't for the new trilogy, Star Wars would have never made this list. So, thank George Lucas for being a money grabbing little-talent douche bag.

I just had to. I like to see the rant again.

QUOTE(iRock cB @ Jul 28 2006, 3:37 PM) *
I couldn't agree more haha. It's [Lord of the Rings] a classic. I guess it doesn't appeal to the short attention span of todays teens. And the fact that you actually have to THINK to understand and put it all together. It's a brilliant trilogy.

Lord of the Rings...? A classic? Are you out of your f**king mind. It's hollywood bullshit. Far far far from a classic, my friend. It hasn't even been given the test of time yet. To call it a classic, either way, is still premature. Not to mention, I have a huge attention span. I watch, and enjoy, plently of true classic epics (We're talking David Lean circa 1960's). I have a deep love within me for many a slow-burning horror film. Attention is not an issue. But, in all honesty, there isn't anything really to pay attention to in this trilogy, let alone anything worth attention.

Also, I can't really recall any amount of serious brain work for this one. In fact, it's a pretty uniform dumb-downed-big-time-hollywood-super-pedestrian-work. It has very little depth. It works in very defined moral lines. Its characters are amazingly under developed (almost to an insulting degree) for such a long trilogy. The special effects are bombastic. In all honesty, the film has little to nothing to offer. It appeals to simpletons, and that is why so many people adore it. That is why it is highly reguarded, and for near the same reasons that Star Wars has become an overrated work, Lord of the Rings is very much overrated.

It doesn't take much thinking. It isn't very complex, smart, or progressive. And, in the end, it offers really nothing new to film, nor does it really do any kind of impressive job in its retro-rehasing. It's boring because it has nothing to offer, not because it is long.

Want to watcha movie where you have "THINK?" Try an Ingmar Bergman film, or if that isn't enough for you, try putting together the biographical masterpiece that is Naked Lunch.

[Note: Before your beloved Peter Jackson started smoking Hollywood cock, he made interesting, honest, and awesome movies. Try Heavenly Creatures, Bad Taste, and Dead Alive. Yeah, same Jackson. Whole other passion.]

xmkaex
post Jul 30 2006, 11:53 AM
Post #62

Member No: 146,564

Napolian Dynamite
people said that movie was funny ...

stubborn.gif it wasn't.

hiromi
post Jul 30 2006, 12:16 PM
Post #63

Loser

Member No: 67,558

Napoleon Dynamite and Spirited Away
Napoleon because it was just stupid
Spirited Away because it definitely was not one of Miyazaki's best works.

*Kathleen*
post Jul 30 2006, 03:21 PM
Post #64

QUOTE(Acid Bath Slayer @ Jul 30 2006, 8:12 AM) *
[Note: Before your beloved Peter Jackson started smoking Hollywood cock, he made interesting, honest, and awesome movies. Try Heavenly Creatures, Bad Taste, and Dead Alive. Yeah, same Jackson. Whole other passion.]

I still wonder why of all directors.. they picked him to direct LOTR when he made movies like Dead Alive. Although don't get me wrong - that's one of my favorite zombie movies. XD.gif

dancingkait
post Jul 30 2006, 03:31 PM
Post #65

j'adore =)

Member No: 107,848

i thought mr and mrs smith was way to overrated...it was like spy kids for adults. i was not impressed

AngryBaby
post Jul 30 2006, 07:40 PM
Post #66

L!ckitySplit

Member No: 129,329

QUOTE(PENtheINSTRUMENT @ Jul 22 2004, 12:00 AM) *
Spiderman, Matrix (YES ALL OF 'EM), Titanic, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Independence Day, and hundreds of other movies but I can't think of any right now

I think the Ring was hot whether or not it was scary though

you dissed all those movies, yet you like the RING? you just killed all your credibility lol.

QUOTE(iRock cB @ Jul 28 2006, 3:37 PM) *
I couldn't agree more haha. It's a classic. I guess it doesn't appeal to the short attention span of todays teens. And the fact that you actually have to THINK to understand and put it all together. It's a brilliant trilogy.

I know it's been mentioned, but Titanic was so ridiculous. Ok, I liked the movie but it isn't OMFG LIKE THebEsT mOvIe EVAR!!!!!1!3 People went insane over that movie when it was in theatres.

could this guy be more right? its almost creepy.

QUOTE(Acid Bath Slayer @ Jul 30 2006, 7:12 AM) *
Lord of the Rings...? A classic? Are you out of your f**king mind. It's hollywood bullshit. Far far far from a classic, my friend. It hasn't even been given the test of time yet. To call it a classic, either way, is still premature. Not to mention, I have a huge attention span. I watch, and enjoy, plently of true classic epics (We're talking David Lean circa 1960's). I have a deep love within me for many a slow-burning horror film. Attention is not an issue. But, in all honesty, there isn't anything really to pay attention to in this trilogy, let alone anything worth attention.

Also, I can't really recall any amount of serious brain work for this one. In fact, it's a pretty uniform dumb-downed-big-time-hollywood-super-pedestrian-work. It has very little depth. It works in very defined moral lines. Its characters are amazingly under developed (almost to an insulting degree) for such a long trilogy. The special effects are bombastic. In all honesty, the film has little to nothing to offer. It appeals to simpletons, and that is why so many people adore it. That is why it is highly reguarded, and for near the same reasons that Star Wars has become an overrated work, Lord of the Rings is very much overrated.

It doesn't take much thinking. It isn't very complex, smart, or progressive. And, in the end, it offers really nothing new to film, nor does it really do any kind of impressive job in its retro-rehasing. It's boring because it has nothing to offer, not because it is long.

Want to watcha movie where you have "THINK?" Try an Ingmar Bergman film, or if that isn't enough for you, try putting together the biographical masterpiece that is Naked Lunch.

well, it musta won 16 academy awards for a reason. its either i believe an academy. or a teenager that likes movies nobody ever heard of.

AngelinaTaylor
post Jul 30 2006, 07:56 PM
Post #67

daughter of sin

Member No: 386,134

Lord of the rings, in a way, although I do like the movies. The BOOKS are classic.

Other most overrated movies - Titanic, Star Wars, and all those chick-flicks.

tooeffingcrazy
post Jul 30 2006, 08:06 PM
Post #68

The Bone Collector

Member No: 44,162

1. Crash. (2006). This god awful mess of a film I feel earns a special recognition in the massive collection of overrated films. It is due this service for it has tricked nearly everyone into believing it is an exceptional and intelligent social commentary, even winning the Academy Award for best picture. Quite possibly the lowest point in Academy history, just below Titanic

Just want to say, THANK YOU.
This film was WAY over the top. It is so passed realism, and everyone is saying what a great movie it is. It's seriously everyone's #1 favorite movie.

Seven- I just don't get what all the commotion is about. I've seen it once, maybe I should give it another chance, but it was just so blah. I just don't understand WHY it's so good.

LOTR, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Matrix- Maybe i'm just not a fantasy/sci-fi kind of guy. I don't see how or where the entertainment is.

Nacho/Napoleon- What? Where's the comedy? You see stupid people everyday, why not just make your life a movie? It's absurd.
-----------------

Like or dislike, in the Exorcist, Ellen gives a hell of a performance.

NoSex
post Jul 31 2006, 05:34 AM
Post #69

in the reverb chamber.

QUOTE(L!ckitySplit @ Jul 30 2006, 7:40 PM) *
well, it musta won 16 academy awards for a reason. its either i believe an academy. or a teenager that likes movies nobody ever heard of.

It won 17 Oscars for several reasons; reasons including, but not limited to, the reality that the academy sucks, and the trilogy is grossly overrated. That it won a bunch of awards really doesn't prove anything other than the fact that it is highly reguarded within the academy on several technical aspects. That it is highly reguarded is kind of a prerequisite to the series being overrated. So, no problem here mentioning how many awards it has and how many people adore it so much.

However, to suggest that since it is popular, and has been rated highly, must mean that it is good film is absurd. That implication is only that much more absurd when you are in a thread which is discussing the issue of movies being overrated. We can't just talk about the ratings themselves, we have to put them into context. Do they make sense? Should this movie be so well reguarded? Why or why not? I believe I put forth a meaningful post in that sense. Your post, on the other hand, much like the Lord of the Ring trilogy itself, has hardly any value, if any, and is near meaningless.

Not to mention, this isn't about believing popular opinion, an academy, or some "teenager that likes movies nobody ever heard of." Let's not be a f**king automaton. Figure it out for yourself. Why or why don't you like a specific movie, and why or why not do you think it is overrated? Let's not take the critics word for it, let's use our own heads for once.

femmefatale4160
post Jul 31 2006, 06:18 AM
Post #70

I've got ADD and magic markers. Oh the thrills I will have.

Member No: 445,743

Titanic. Not only was it dull, but the makers of it took a horrific accident which resulted in over 1300 deaths and made it all about sex.

*disco infiltrator*
post Jul 31 2006, 09:30 AM
Post #71

Eff you all that said Harry Potter...

Crash. Certainly overrated.

edit;;
Aw I didn't even go past the first page on this when I posted. Don't mean to seem to be going with my crowd on this one...

smoke
post Jul 31 2006, 10:35 AM
Post #72

Pokeball, GO!

Member No: 433,009

QUOTE(Acid Bath Slayer @ Jul 30 2006, 8:12 AM) *

Well damn man. mellow.gif You just have your panties all in a bunch, don't you?

Yes, it's quite a shame they had to dumb down the books a bit in order appeal to our dumb down society. Quite a shame.

All in all, good for you Acid Bath Slayer. You're one of those teens who can think. So, what's your point? Should I pat you on the back now?

And, also, you're quite ignorant to assume my "beloved Peter Jackson" because I agree with you. I never said I liked Peter Jackson, but that doesn't automatically steer me away from a great film. Please, don't make yourself look like such a dumb ass next time. _smile.gif

NoSex
post Jul 31 2006, 04:23 PM
Post #73

in the reverb chamber.

QUOTE(iRock cB @ Jul 31 2006, 10:35 AM) *
Well damn man. mellow.gif You just have your panties all in a bunch, don't you?

Yes, it's quite a shame they had to dumb down the books a bit in order appeal to our dumb down society. Quite a shame.

All in all, good for you Acid Bath Slayer. You're one of those teens who can think. So, what's your point? Should I pat you on the back now?

And, also, you're quite ignorant to assume my "beloved Peter Jackson" because I agree with you. I never said I liked Peter Jackson, but that doesn't automatically steer me away from a great film. Please, don't make yourself look like such a dumb ass next time. _smile.gif

huh.gif
Why the hell are you so smug?
You just tried to say that Lord of the Rings is a classic, that it requires a lot of attention, and involves serious thinking. And, now, I'm the "ignorant dumb ass?"
I have my "panties all in a bunch." In? Huh? I think you give yourself too much credit, no panties were all in anything.
I was just making a point, a rather strong one I think.
I mean, look at your post. You were essentially implying that if someone didn't like Lord of the Rings or thought it was way overrated, they must be someone with a short attention span and also unable to "THINK". Note the emphasis on "think." This is a very strong kind of thinking, not the normal thinking everyone does each and every day. This is Lord of the Rings level thinking, not Titanic thinking.

Ahem, anyways. Your implications were wildly arrogant. Sure, you like Lord of the Rings, but to assume that people must have short attention spans and be incapable of simple thought processes if they don't like it...?!

I tried to add some meaningful commentary. The films really aren't that great. They don't have much to offer. You clearly thought they were big thinking films, "brilliant," and required some kind of attention span. I don't believe the trilogy merits any of those things. So, I made a refutation. Now, somehow this refutation makes me look like a "dumb ass?" Maybe even an ignorant one? Whoa, buddy! You caught me red handed! I sure am an ignorant dumb ass! Especially when it comes to film! I don't know shit!

Dude, the fact was... you were way out of line to say that the Lord of the Rings trilogy was a classic, In any sense of the word. The movies suck. They're trash. _dry.gif

*Kathleen*
post Jul 31 2006, 04:24 PM
Post #74

Nate, do you like anything anyone else likes? sad.gif You intimidate me. pinch.gif

NoSex
post Jul 31 2006, 04:31 PM
Post #75

in the reverb chamber.

QUOTE(Kathleen @ Jul 31 2006, 4:24 PM) *
Nate, do you like anything anyone else likes? sad.gif You intimidate me. pinch.gif

I like things that don't suck that other people like. Heh heh.
I intimidate you? rolleyes.gif

Uhmm, I like Pulp Fiction? whistling.gif
Everyone likes Pulp Fiction! See, I like something everyone likes!
But, I think it's overrated. sweating.gif
I like it a lot. f**k, I love it, but... I don't think it's QT's best work.

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: