Reply to this topicStart new topic
Jesus Camp, anyone seen this?
icecreamisyummy
post Jan 17 2008, 01:22 AM
Post #1

Group: Official Member
Member No: 589,690

Jesus Camp is a 2006 documentary directed by Rachel Grady and Heidi Ewing about a pentecostal summer camp for children who spend their summers learning and practicing their "prophetic gifts" and being taught that they can "take back America for Christ."[1]. According to the distributor, it "doesn't come with any prepackaged point of view" and tries to be "an honest and impartial depiction of one faction of the evangelical Christian community”. [2]

On January 23, 2007, "Jesus Camp" was nominated for the 2007 79th Annual Academy Award for Documentary Feature.[3]

this is a link to the actual movie just watch atleast the first 10-15 mins of it

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5...h&plindex=5

heres the link to it on wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_Camp

arcanum
post Jan 17 2008, 01:24 AM
Post #2

:)

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 34,459

--> Moved to Entertainment

icecreamisyummy
post Jan 17 2008, 01:27 AM
Post #3

NOOO!! no ones gonna find it in entertainment!!

Insurmountable
post Jan 17 2008, 02:15 AM
Post #4

Cornflakes :D

Member No: 322,923

Hmm interesting if the video would work I would have more to say xD

*yrrnotelekktric*
post Jan 17 2008, 02:18 AM
Post #5

pretty much atheist, so no.
never seen it.

icecreamisyummy
post Jan 17 2008, 02:23 AM
Post #6

fixed the link.

if youre atheist.... youre gonna be glad youre an atheis after watching atleast the first 10 mins

Insurmountable
post Jan 17 2008, 02:24 AM
Post #7

^why is that?

*yrrnotelekktric*
post Jan 17 2008, 02:27 AM
Post #8

Oh geez. I just saw like the first 20 seconds.

Hell no.

Insurmountable
post Jan 17 2008, 02:28 AM
Post #9

Yea I saw the first couple of minutes and I was just like eh I don't want to watch this..

doesn't seem very interesting to me or something I would be interested and putting my thumbs up for approval.

*yrrnotelekktric*
post Jan 17 2008, 02:29 AM
Post #10

^ laugh.gif Kudos.

icecreamisyummy
post Jan 17 2008, 02:30 AM
Post #11

the parts about the radio show suck.... and the first minute or two is just that... and well after 10 mins youll pretty much see what the movie is about.

its a documentary so its got some crazy things in therre.

Insurmountable
post Jan 17 2008, 02:36 AM
Post #12

so if I skip all the talking is that when the good stuff happens? Should I go pop a bag of popcorn? Or is it something that I'll start throwing the popcorn at my laptop and not even care about the buttery gross ness getting all over my keys >_>

Personally from the beginning of it it sounds like their bringing politics into Christianity.

Personally I'm a Christian; and I hate politics and its not suposed to be brought into religion. Their two separate things and they should always stay separated. I think everyone should just a live a simple life filled with unanswered questions that are trying to find answers and you should just love and care about everyone.
shrug.gif I don't see any reasons, or debates, or anything stupid brought into that.

*yrrnotelekktric*
post Jan 17 2008, 02:37 AM
Post #13

Once again icecreamisyummy, i`d have to pass. mellow.gif

icecreamisyummy
post Jan 17 2008, 02:48 AM
Post #14

QUOTE(Insurmountable @ Jan 17 2008, 02:36 AM) *
so if I skip all the talking is that when the good stuff happens? Should I go pop a bag of popcorn? Or is it something that I'll start throwing the popcorn at my laptop and not even care about the buttery gross ness getting all over my keys >_>
Personally from the beginning of it it sounds like their bringing politics into Christianity.

Personally I'm a Christian; and I hate politics and its not suposed to be brought into religion. Their two separate things and they should always stay separated. I think everyone should just a live a simple life filled with unanswered questions that are trying to find answers and you should just love and care about everyone.
shrug.gif I don't see any reasons, or debates, or anything stupid brought into that.

politics is only brought in at the beginning. but the rest of the movie isnt like that.

what surprised me is how they raise their children. what they teach them.

its more about evangelicals

Insurmountable
post Jan 17 2008, 03:15 AM
Post #15

oh so it does get more interesting. I'll look at it when I get home, I'm kind of kicked out for the rest of the week >_>

NoSex
post Jan 17 2008, 03:06 PM
Post #16

in the reverb chamber.

Member No: 300,308

Jesus Camp is a pretty fantastic documentary. It's often cited as being one of the scariest or most terrifying films of 2006 - which makes a lot of sense. This is real and true child abuse. This sort of intellectual rape, political indoctrination, and religious zeal is entirely common in this country and in other countries, but the exaggerated selective sample (these charismatic Pentecosts) here is just a symbol for a much larger picture. Though the filmmakers claim to be non-prejudice in their pursuit it becomes rather clear, at least to the sane viewer, that the filmmakers are out to make these people look f**king evil - which, honestly, they accomplish quite effectively.

Beyond being painfully stupid, the adults in this film are just unbelievable in the ways they go about teaching (or rather, indoctrinating) their children. It is definitely some of the scariest and most disgusting things you'll often see. A few highlights are the fat female leader's psychotic anti-Harry Potter ramblings, the nativity of the kid named after pants, and the forcefulness of parents in raising their children's hands and directing them in whatever way they see fit. The film is religiously charged, politically controversial, and highly important in today's social climate. It's not the best and most comprehensive look into this world of child indoctrination, but it's captivating nonetheless.

lkajsfklajskds
post Jan 17 2008, 03:13 PM
Post #17

<joke> inside </joke>

Member No: 470,590

heard of it but, nope, never seen it
almost watch it! but never really saw it =P
my friend thought it was boring. but thats her, she thinks every documentary is boring.
i'll probably like it though, i love documentaries! especially if they cause controversy =D

brooklyneast05
post Jan 17 2008, 03:24 PM
Post #18

I'm Jc

Group: Mentor
Member No: 437,556

i was gonna rent this not that long ago but decided against it.

icecreamisyummy
post Jan 17 2008, 04:47 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(NoSex @ Jan 17 2008, 03:06 PM) *
Jesus Camp is pretty fantastic documentary. It's often cited as being one of the scariest or most terrifying films of 2006 - which makes a lot of sense. This is real and true child abuse. This sort of intellectual rape, political indoctrination, and religious zeal is entirely uncommon in the country and in other countries, but the exaggerated selective sample (these charismatic Pentecosts) here is just a symbol for a much larger picture. Though the filmmakers claim to be non-prejudice in their pursuit it becomes rather clear, at least to the sane viewer, that the filmmakers are out to make these people look f**king evil - which, honestly, they accomplish quite effectively.

Beyond being painfully stupid, the adults in this film are just unbelievable in the ways they go about teaching (or rather, indoctrinating) their children. It is definitely some of the scariest and most disgusting things you'll often see. A few highlights are the fat female leader's psychotic anti-Harry Potter ramblings, the nativity of the kid named after pants, and the forcefulness of parents in raising their children's hands and directing them in whatever way they see fit. The film is religiously charged, politically controversial, and highly important in today's social climate. It's not the best and most comprehensive look into this world of child indoctrination, but it's captivating nonetheless.

thank you.. i didnt know how to explain it

JCLore
post Jan 17 2008, 08:41 PM
Post #20

Member No: 580,818

im christian
i have to say i like it even though its pretty boring

i think its aimed at the older generations
like 50+

freeridefight
post Jan 19 2008, 04:50 PM
Post #21

mercenary on call

Group: Member
Member No: 447,606

uhg I believe that there should be something to focus your life around
whether its your own ethics and morals
but this is ridiculous

//edit

she is against harry potter
srsly that argument is over
shut up

lkajsfklajskds
post Jan 19 2008, 05:34 PM
Post #22

<joke> inside </joke>

Member No: 470,590

i watched it after reading this topic
it makes me wanna punch these people!
not that theyre wrong, but that they think everybody else is wrong.
nevertheless, i loved it =D
i knew i would, its my kinda movie.

NoSex
post Jan 20 2008, 03:43 AM
Post #23

in the reverb chamber.

Member No: 300,308

QUOTE(SilentLaugh @ Jan 19 2008, 04:34 PM) *
not that theyre wrong, but that they think everybody else is wrong.

Uhmm, no, they are definitely wrong - very wrong and very evil. I mean, I'm an amoralist, I don't believe in wrong or right, good or evil, but these people are f**king demons. f**k them.

That's why I love this movie, it pisses me off. A friendly suggestion, and, frankly, a better film (if you like being passionately pissed off): The Thin Blue Line. Whole other category, but great nonetheless.

f**king indoctrinating f**ks. f**k.

*yrrnotelekktric*
post Jan 20 2008, 03:47 AM
Post #24

QUOTE(NoSex @ Jan 20 2008, 12:43 AM) *
I don't believe in wrong or right, good or evil, but these people are f**king demons. f**k them.

Wow, seriously? I find this so interesting. Just thought I`d say it. blush.gif

JCLore
post Jan 20 2008, 04:27 AM
Post #25

Member No: 580,818

this is what we, at my youth, watch
its not as boring as "Jesus Camp"
but for those of you that arent christian.....well
its up to you

Nooma

Edit// forgot to put the link in....haha

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: