Debate Rules

Here are the general forum rules that you must follow before you start any debate topics. Please make sure you've read and followed all directions.

Debate.

54 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
Abortion
tkproduce
post May 12 2004, 02:35 AM
Post #1

rookie

Group: Member
Member No: 2,291

Different places in the world have different laws on abortion. Some states allow abortion up to a certain age of the foetus, while others don't allow it at all.

So what do you think? Are you in favor of it or against it? When does the baby, which starts off as a ball consisting only of a few cells inside the womb, actually start to count as a human being? Please give some explanation behind your point of view, putting into consideration things such as unwanted pregnancies.

whomps
post May 12 2004, 02:42 AM
Post #2

:hammer:

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 7,700

I'm trying to remember what my history teacher said about abortion.. He had a pretty good argument against it.. *ahh brain cramp*

Well I'm mostly against abortion.. not complete though.

I would think it's the girl's fault for choosing to have sex in the first place.
But if she was raped, that's another story.

Jiggapin0
post May 12 2004, 03:13 AM
Post #3

703 Represent!

Member No: 4,032

Pro-life all da way. Life's life. You can't just take it away no matter what the circumstances. I can see how it's tough for rape victims, but they shouldn't take it out on the unborn child. The rape victim has already become a victim. Don't let the unborn child become a victim as well.

Heheh. This is cool. A debate section of cb. Maybe I'll become a MASTER DEBATOR. LoL.

tkproduce
post May 12 2004, 05:54 AM
Post #4

rookie

QUOTE(Jiggapin0 @ May 12 2004, 8:13 AM)
Pro-life all da way. Life's life. You can't just take it away no matter what the circumstances. I can see how it's tough for rape victims, but they shouldn't take it out on the unborn child. The rape victim has already become a victim. Don't let the unborn child become a victim as well.

Yea, but when can you call an unborn child a "victim"? A few weeks after fertilisation, the "unborn child" is only a lump made of a few cells - and the average human probably sheds more skin cells per day than the number of cells that make up this "lump". Is getting rid of "it" wrong?

Winter
post May 12 2004, 08:37 AM
Post #5

Member No: 3,904

Most religions think it's wrong to even kill off those few cells coz they eventually turn into something bigger.

I guess I'm mostly against abortion. I mean if you got pregnant because of your own fault, then you just gotta deal with the consequences.

But if someone got rape, then I think it would be okay. Coz they didn't want it to happen and it might make them emotionally unstable.

rivendell
post May 12 2004, 08:49 AM
Post #6

- kuupi! ♥-

Member No: 3,148

I'm pro - choice.

PRO CHOICE DOES NOT EQUAL PRO ABORTION.

I feel a woman has the right to decide what to do with her own body. I personally would never get an abortion, but if someone I know decided to get one, I would be there for her.

triipinfserious
post May 12 2004, 09:37 AM
Post #7

addicted to createblog[dot]com (=

Member No: 14,423

i don`t agree with abortion ... anyways that has the chance to live should ... you shouldn`t be self-fish

rivendell
post May 12 2004, 09:39 AM
Post #8

- kuupi! ♥-

Member No: 3,148

QUOTE(triipinfserious @ May 12 2004, 10:37 AM)
i don`t agree with abortion ... anyways that has the chance to live should ... you shouldn`t be self-fish

But what about in a situation of rape or insest?

triipinfserious
post May 12 2004, 09:42 AM
Post #9

addicted to createblog[dot]com (=

Member No: 14,423

QUOTE(rivendell @ May 12 2004, 9:39 AM)
But what about in a situation of rape or insest?

i`ll meet you half way there ... even though it wasn`t your choice they should still give it the chance to live ... but if they serious can`t handle it then have the abortion

*Kathleen*
post May 12 2004, 09:47 AM
Post #10

Sorry, Jess, but I'd hate to inform you that one percent of all abortions are from rape. wink.gif Furthermore, as Jiggapin0 said, it's not the baby's fault...granted, it's not yours (the mother's), either, but still...don't deprive someone of a life like that.

tkproduce
post May 12 2004, 09:53 AM
Post #11

rookie

but is it fair to bring an "unwanted" life into this world? would it be better for the baby if it were to experience the peace of death without pain than experience the harsh realities of life?

InfamousOwen
post May 12 2004, 09:55 AM
Post #12

DecadentVoid

Member No: 15,192

Im really against abortion......I know there are circumstances where it is really hard on the girl. I really think there should be another way than abortion. For now I guess its all there is. I just think it is a great lose to society because everyone came from a little "lump" and then they turned into Albert Einstein, Abraham Lincoln, Martin Luther King Jr, doctors, scientist, authors, teachers.

You never know when you will be blessed with a gift that is so profound that it can change the course of the world.

Kathleen must have researched that stats and if thats true with only 1% being from rape than it really is a horrible thing if you can make the grown up choice to have sex and yet not be grown up enough to take responsibility.

this subject is kind of touchy for me sorry if I sound a bit nuts about it

P.S. Adoption is always a choice also......not everyone who wants a child is able to bring one into the world.

*Kathleen*
post May 12 2004, 09:55 AM
Post #13

Pft - you have to take the good with the bad at times...everyone wants to live...you get great things in life, too, you know. You're saying this as if this world wreaks of evil. Haha. It does, but good prevails. Wow. I don't know what I'm talking about. pinch.gif

LQ_Darksoul
post May 12 2004, 10:51 AM
Post #14

Retired Posting Whore

Member No: 2,911

I'm personally against abortion, taking a human life, born or not, is wrong to me. If you f**ked up, and don't want the kid, someone else might.

On the otherhand.. I can understand it being a burdon, going thru so much pain, especially when your young and not ready. And I know some of you are going to say "If your ready to have sex, then your ready to take care of a baby." Well, what about those whom were raped? In the end, it's their choice. They will suffer the conciquences. You shouldn't judge them, only God can do that.

tkproduce
post May 12 2004, 11:53 AM
Post #15

rookie

QUOTE(LQ_Darksoul @ May 12 2004, 3:51 PM)
I'm personally against abortion, taking a human life, born or not, is wrong to me. If you f**ked up, and don't want the kid, someone else might.

What if someone else doesn't want the kid? Does the kid have to suffer a childhood where he/she feels unwanted?

LQ_Darksoul
post May 12 2004, 12:18 PM
Post #16

Retired Posting Whore

Member No: 2,911

Better to have a hard childhood than to not have one at all.

tkproduce
post May 12 2004, 01:04 PM
Post #17

rookie

QUOTE(LQ_Darksoul @ May 12 2004, 5:18 PM)
Better to have a hard childhood than to not have one at all.

I suppose people have different opinions about that. I guess if the child didn't like his/her own life they could just leave it.

*Kathleen*
post May 12 2004, 02:08 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(InfamousOwen @ May 12 2004, 10:55 AM)
Im really against abortion......I know there are circumstances where it is really hard on the girl. I really think there should be another way than abortion. For now I guess its all there is. I just think it is a great lose to society because everyone came from a little "lump" and then they turned into Albert Einstein, Abraham Lincoln, Martin Luther King Jr, doctors, scientist, authors, teachers.

You never know when you will be blessed with a gift that is so profound that it can change the course of the world.

Kathleen must have researched that stats and if thats true with only 1% being from rape than it really is a horrible thing if you can make the grown up choice to have sex and yet not be grown up enough to take responsibility.

this subject is kind of touchy for me sorry if I sound a bit nuts about it

P.S. Adoption is always a choice also......not everyone who wants a child is able to bring one into the world.

Yes, I was going to later bring this on, too...who knows what great life will come out of you, regardless if the father was your boyfriend or rapist. As I said before, it's not the child's fault that you got raped (it's not yours, either), and you shouldn't take it out on him.

Yes, well, there was a topic on this in the girl's locker room, and someone brought it up. Hehe. I'm not that smart. wink.gif

tk started bring up something that was leading into adoption, but as Ty (lq_darksoul) said, is it not better to have a life in the first place? Pft. I'm pro-life. _smile.gif

lilb
post May 12 2004, 02:17 PM
Post #19

i hate you...but i LOVE you

Member No: 16,045

I could go on and on and on with fact after fact after fact about why abortion is wrong, immoral, unreligious, and totally wrong. I wont go there unless pushed into it, becuz i dont feel like typing too much today....but in my opinion and zillions of other ppls abortion is totally WRONG!!!

tkproduce
post May 12 2004, 02:44 PM
Post #20

rookie

Okay, so it looks like most people are against it. But from what point is a baby a baby? From the second the egg is fertilised? or should we protect all our sperm and egg cells just in case they might get fertilised and grow into the next Albert Einstein or Michael Jordan? Am I murdering thousands of potential geniouses every time I ejaculate?

What should the law be? UK law states that abortion is legal up to the 24th week of pregnancy, at which stage the foetus could technically survive outside the womb. Quite a lot of States in America totally oppose it. Should people be given a choice on whether they want an abortion or not?

onenonly101
post May 12 2004, 03:24 PM
Post #21

i'm too cool 4 school

Member No: 7,421

Pro life. I have [posted my poinion in another one of these topics..let me find it because i am too lazy to type it again ;)
found it!

It is a baby, not a fetus to me. I'm against abortion it is not your right to choose to have a baby and it is a selfish choice. You decided to spread your legs and if you are woman enough to have sex you need to be woman enough to take care of the possible responsibility for you actions. Keep in mind less than 1% of abortions come from people who were raped, so think if they can keep their child, why can;t you. You decided to take that chance when you had sex. There is always adoption, i am so for adoption because it gives people who weren't bale to have children and chance to have a child of their own. Yeah peopel make mistakes but making another one doesn't cancel out the first mistake.

then someone replied saying

its funny cuz when people see a 16 yr old..they automatically think "shes a slut"
i think u guys have to be in the position to say what u think...have any of u guys ever been pregnant anyways?

and

america is freedom, so why do we CONSTANTLY look for ways to restrict?

I said

ya'll keep saying rape, but that is hardly any of the cases of abortion. Also why should your child suffer rape is wrong completely but that doesn't mean you punish you child. And yes if some 16 year old is sleeping around with poeple i do think she is a slut or if she has a child. That is why you use a condom or the patch, or pill. Like i said you don't do things without weighing the consequences of the actions.

[QUOTE]There is no such thing as actually freedom. You have to put restrictions on things to have a productive society. That is why murdering and stealing is wrong. Do you think if we had the freedom to do what ever we pleased that we would even be alive? As a human society we need boundaries to survive, oreveryone would be dead, raping people, stealing and what not [QUOTE]

wuu that took alot

*Kathleen*
post May 12 2004, 03:27 PM
Post #22

I think it's the second when the egg is fertilized. Just because it's small doesn't mean you have the right to kill it. Also, no, you're not murdering thousands of potential geniuses everytime you ejaculate because they're not fertilizing an egg unless you're having sex...if you are, then, yes, you're killing them.

AmesBond
post May 12 2004, 03:34 PM
Post #23

Squirrelly Member

Member No: 7,267

I'm not against abortion.

Well, I think people should not have sex until they are ready to procreate, but anyway... People should have the choice of whether or not they want to keep a pregnancy. It's their choice. They are in that circumstance and situation. You are not. The choice is not yours.

For the people who argue that this fetus could grow up to be the next Einstein or Jordan, well, picture this: the leading physician on the verge of discovering the cure to HIV/AIDS is pregnant. She finds out that there's a chance she will die during childbirth if she carries this baby to term. This baby could grow up to be the next scientist who finds the cure to HIV/AIDS or grow up to be the next serial killer/terrorist leader/child molestor/kidnapper. Should she risk it and have the baby? Should she have the option of abortion if she plans to live? You tell me...

onenonly101
post May 12 2004, 03:37 PM
Post #24

i'm too cool 4 school

Member No: 7,421

People die during aboritons

*AngelicEyz00*
post May 12 2004, 03:42 PM
Post #25

I am for abortion. It is the decision of the pregnant woman whether she wants to continue along with the pregnancy or whether she wants to terminate it.

No matter how the woman got pregnant, whether she was sleeping around, or got pregnant because she didn't use protection, or got raped or whatever, she has a right to do what she wants to do... Everyone makes mistakes, and yes... if you get pregnant, and you really don't wanna go through with it, then obviously you've made a mistake, and if there's a way to "fix" it, in this case, get an abortion, then go for it!

Here in California, if you're a minor, you don't even need permission from your parents to have an abortion. You DO need to notify them, but you don't need to have their permission.

Personally, if i would have gotten pregnant, and of course I wasn't ready, I would have found a way to get an abortion.... Reasons for wanting one... too young, not financially stable, need an education first, my parents would kill me if they knew i was pregnant, etc, etc.....

So for those same reasons, you're probably wondering, "If those are you're excuses, then you're not ready for some consequences of having sex, so you shouldn't even be having sex, right?" Wrong. We're human, and part of being human is making mistakes. (ok, i think i've been using the word "mistakes" too much, but bare with me) Also, we're human, and we like sex. Humans and dolphins are the only species that have sex for pleasure, other species do it for reproduction,so yeah... We can't help it if we get the urge to have sex once in a while, and we can't help it if we make the mistakes of not taking the proper precautions to avoid an unwanted pregnancy.... but abortion is an option which is availble, and since it is availible, then go for it if you need to.

Now, There is an extent to how much I support this, if you're constantly using abortion as your birth control method, then i think that's where i'd draw the line. If you have an abortion after on, two, or maybe even three mistakes, then I guess that's ok...

I don't think abortion is ever gonna be outlawed here, and if it ever is, then I would be pretty upset....

54 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: