Debate Rules

Here are the general forum rules that you must follow before you start any debate topics. Please make sure you've read and followed all directions.

Debate.

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
The Worlds Take On Getting People To Believe In Something., originally a blog I posted on myspace.
Vaguememory
post Jun 22 2008, 06:53 PM
Post #1

GREAKAZOID RCDcrewmember MODLION 1st class MODPIGGY 2nd class...

Group: Member
Member No: 624,214

So, I've been wondering. How do most people go about trying to make someone believe in something? Most people I must say, don't go about it the right way. They will go up to someone and say. "This is the way, this is the light, and you must do this, or this will happen, or you will die." and like with allot of Christians, and many of the religions out there. "You are a sinner, and if you don't believe that then you're screwed." That's pretty much what they are saying, you know, it may be true, but couldn't they take it from a different angle? Saying things like this is going to turn someone off from the first minute.

First example.

The hardcore ratical Christians. They preach that God is a loving and understanding God, and say that it is our choice if we will be saved, and yet they go about it by saying that you don't have a choice, you're going to die, and their is nothing you can do about it. It is the truth, more than likely, but don't you think that God wouldn't like his word being preached to scare people into faith. We should preach all the good things about God, so that they will see the good side of our lord Jesus Christ, instead of saying that you will die, you are a sinner, and you are nothing. So many more people would believe, I guarentee it.

Second example:

Politics. Oh my god. We can't go a day without a politician going. If we don't do thise, we are going to fall apart, we have no chance at survival. We've got to get more energy, we've got to get troops more and more troops over in Iraq NOW!

Sad isn't at how far we've come in life and we've still got to go around saying things that potentially are lies. Theirs always a chance in survival. We can make it as long as we work together. The world would be better if we didn't force our beliefs on someone else by scaring them. We should take it seriously, and try to explain it to someone with love and compassion. This goes to Rascism, and many other belief systems in this world. Like I said, I don't believe in forcing my beliefs on someone else. But I do believe in getting your voice out there, because maybe you will bring a thought forth, or maybe you will find more people who agree with you, its always important to find out if their are more people who believe with you, and maybe they have another look at the same thing you're saying that makes even more sense to you than your own idea. Just be polite, take it out, put it in front of them, and let them play around with it, maybe they will beleive it maybe not, just don't force it upon them.

KryMeARiver
post Jun 22 2008, 10:37 PM
Post #2

Banned

Group: Banned
Member No: 658,432

How to get people to believe something: spell your shit correctly.

Splek
post Jun 22 2008, 10:46 PM
Post #3

Count Splek, Charming Fiend!

Member No: 658,428

true, you spelled "allot", the correct spelling is "a lot"

and, i hate Christians, i am Christian, but i still hate the other ones... and Catholics... i have many of my own points on Gods laws...

and masturbation is far from a sin, its a necessary process... if a man doesint do it he will cum all over himself... its like eating, necessary and enjoyable!

freeridefight
post Jun 23 2008, 05:34 AM
Post #4

mercenary on call

Member No: 447,606

QUOTE(Vaguememory @ Jun 22 2008, 07:53 PM) *
So, I've been wondering. How do most people go about trying to make someone believe in something? Most people I must say, don't go about it the right way. They will go up to someone and say. "This is the way, this is the light, and you must do this, or this will happen, or you will die." and like with allot of Christians, and many of the religions out there. "You are a sinner, and if you don't believe that then you're screwed." That's pretty much what they are saying, you know, it may be true, but couldn't they take it from a different angle? Saying things like this is going to turn someone off from the first minute.

First example.

The hardcore ratical Christians. They preach that God is a loving and understanding God, and say that it is our choice if we will be saved, and yet they go about it by saying that you don't have a choice, you're going to die, and their is nothing you can do about it. It is the truth, more than likely, but don't you think that God wouldn't like his word being preached to scare people into faith. We should preach all the good things about God, so that they will see the good side of our lord Jesus Christ, instead of saying that you will die, you are a sinner, and you are nothing. So many more people would believe, I guarentee it.

Second example:

Politics. Oh my god. We can't go a day without a politician going. If we don't do thise, we are going to fall apart, we have no chance at survival. We've got to get more energy, we've got to get troops more and more troops over in Iraq NOW!

Sad isn't at how far we've come in life and we've still got to go around saying things that potentially are lies. Theirs always a chance in survival. We can make it as long as we work together. The world would be better if we didn't force our beliefs on someone else by scaring them. We should take it seriously, and try to explain it to someone with love and compassion. This goes to Rascism, and many other belief systems in this world. Like I said, I don't believe in forcing my beliefs on someone else. But I do believe in getting your voice out there, because maybe you will bring a thought forth, or maybe you will find more people who agree with you, its always important to find out if their are more people who believe with you, and maybe they have another look at the same thing you're saying that makes even more sense to you than your own idea. Just be polite, take it out, put it in front of them, and let them play around with it, maybe they will beleive it maybe not, just don't force it upon them.

Okay, so what exactly is your debate? Is it that if more religious societies were less forceful of their beliefs, more people would be open to them. Or that many of the world's problems could be solved much quicker if people were more compassionate and less forceful?

Yes, many of the leaders of today are at the same level of radicalness as people have always been. I don't know if it's because society tends to think that we are in the shi*hole because of someone else's views and the ways of another person, and then they just stand up and scream I AM RIGHT, LISTEN TO ME; or if it's basically a caring attitude of this is right.

I agree with your stand on how many of the religious leaders and political heads are either saying my viewpoint is right, listen to me or you will all be fu**ed. Then again, how many people would actually listen if a leader wasn't like that? Many people of society think that the louder and more extreme a person with a view is, the more right and they have the best solution of a problem.

NoSex
post Jun 23 2008, 05:38 AM
Post #5

in the reverb chamber.

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 300,308

QUOTE(Splek @ Jun 22 2008, 10:46 PM) *
i have many of my own points on Gods laws...

Blasphemer!

Forcefulness actually works; being polite does not. That's why people do it, because it f**king works. If everyone was educated, competent, and not dumb as shit... sure, we might all have to explain ourselves. However, that just ain't how shit is. The reality is that the world is full of weak, insecure, frightened, and impressionable sycophants. Until everyone wises up (which is not biologically feasible), the powers to be will continue to appeal to their stupidity, ignorance, and fear.

It's just pragmatism is all; people do what works.

freeridefight
post Jun 23 2008, 05:49 AM
Post #6

mercenary on call

QUOTE(NoSex @ Jun 23 2008, 06:38 AM) *
Blasphemer!

Forcefulness actually works; being polite does not. That's why people do it, because it f**king works. If everyone was educated, competent, and not dumb as shit... sure, we might all have to explain ourselves. However, that just ain't how shit is. The reality is that the world is full of weak, insecure, frightened, and impressionable sycophants. Until everyone wises up (which is not biologically feasible), the powers to be will continue to appeal to their stupidity, ignorance, and fear.

I agree. If people weren't so fu**king retarded and were educated, it wouldn't take much to find a solution; not as long at least.

NoSex
post Jun 23 2008, 06:04 AM
Post #7

in the reverb chamber.

QUOTE(freeridefight @ Jun 23 2008, 05:49 AM) *
If people weren't so fu**king retarded and were educated...

Don't forget scared; I mean, we're f**king scared out of our minds!

freeridefight
post Jun 23 2008, 09:50 AM
Post #8

mercenary on call

QUOTE(NoSex @ Jun 23 2008, 07:04 AM) *
Don't forget scared; I mean, we're f**king scared out of our minds!

OMGZ NO WAYZ. I just piddled myself.

shoryuken
post Jul 26 2008, 10:33 PM
Post #9

Group: Official Member
Member No: 585,858

QUOTE(KryMeARiver @ Jun 22 2008, 11:37 PM) *
How to get people to believe something: spell your shit correctly.

laugh.gif
QUOTE(NoSex @ Jun 23 2008, 06:38 AM) *
Blasphemer!

lool.. wat u tryda saii... u biggg n strrunngg...

n howw u trydaa foorrcc ppll da liistin noww... shifty.gif blink.gif
QUOTE(freeridefight @ Jun 23 2008, 06:49 AM) *
I agree. If people weren't so fu**king retarded and were educated, it wouldn't take much to find a solution; not as long at least.

GITT DA FUKK OUTTA he NUTZ kidd... laugh.gif

heee aintt shiett... allott thangg he saii alll wat he thank.. suu dun goo rideee he nutzz yitt.. laugh.gif

heyo-captain-jac...
post Jul 26 2008, 10:37 PM
Post #10

/人◕‿‿◕人\

Member No: 602,927

tl;dr

Condense that shit.

karmakiller
post Jul 26 2008, 10:48 PM
Post #11

DDR \\ I'm Dee :)

Group: Mentor
Member No: 384,020

QUOTE( @ Jun 27 2008, 06:07 PM) *
Its written in the Torah, the Koran, and the Bible, to go out and preach and to turn others to their faith with all their heart and being, in some words or another.

Pretty much, every one is going around saying no, I'm right, your wrong.

Good luck, buddy! _smile.gif
Politics of religion?

QUOTE(Vaguememory @ Jun 22 2008, 06:53 PM) *
You gaurantee it? I don't know how often you are approached by Christians trying to sell you on their religion, but I haven't been. I think there are other things that should be more of a priority to you than people trying to coax you into beliving as they do. Influence is different from authority. People who are pushing their religion use influence to try to get you to confert to what they believe. Humans are the ones who know they going to die, so we create "heaven" as a way for us to deal with the thought of death. If the person who is trying to sell their religion has good influence, then they will pry on your fears and coax you into beliving as they do.

I don't believe in forcing my beliefs on someone else.
Oh, for a second you had me convinced that this was what this thread was about.

What is this thread about then?

shoryuken
post Jul 27 2008, 01:38 AM
Post #12

KARMA needa gtfo nn stopp spammenn dizz fuken deeebaat forum... buncha lamee bs... laugh.gif

USCavalry
post Jul 27 2008, 04:59 AM
Post #13

Member No: 521,658

i see what you're saying guns and it makes a lot of sense. first off i was raised in a family with strong catholic and general moral values. second, i have come to question christiantiy due to a lot of the "do or die" foundations of faith like you pointed out.

i consider myself agnostic and dont know what to think about religion but i do agree that the incositancy with being an all loving god and also being a an all enforcing god is confusing. religion really does limit the way one can live their life, even if they're making what they believe to be positive influences around them. it also seems like religion has an answer for everything, even if it seems a bit extreme, it surely has an answer.

however. is it current day society that has made it difficult to live a religous life or vice versa? if you think its the latter then the solution is simple: live how ever you please. if its not, on the other hand, you have to second guess even your best judgement incase it isn't actually the "best thing to do." for example: ive decided to abandon my whole wait until i get married to have sex ideal. i honestly just stopped carring after every girl i come into contact with seems to have already had sex.

if anything i blame society, not religion... im a bit clueless as to what we're debating but oh well XD

shoryuken
post Jul 27 2008, 12:28 PM
Post #14

^ nicee jimboo jumboo shiett u gitt tha... lit stikk da topicc puh leezz... mang liil kidd alwaii goo offf n saii bunchaa randumm bs.. lol

Tung
post Jul 27 2008, 12:29 PM
Post #15

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

Member No: 65,593

^ fukken homo... loool.gif loool.gif

coconutter
post Jul 27 2008, 05:10 PM
Post #16

omnomnom

Member No: 180,688

I actually realized something while watching Drawn Together. lawll

Yeah, but people are entitled to their own opinions, and just because someone believes in something and tries to make you believe in it doesn't mean you have to.

For all the christian "whitnessers" I think that it's quite silly. The bible isn't a strict set of rules. It's just a guide, so people that believe in it can perceive it their own way. That's one of the reasons it's not written clearly. Hence, different denominations also. So when someone tries to tell you something you don't necessarily agree with, I'd suggest telling them your own point of view, and letting them learn too.

Or we can all blow each other up and not deal with it anymore.

Vaguememory
post Jul 31 2008, 05:24 PM
Post #17

Okay I totally forgot about this post. Completely. Okay, I myself am a christian but I don't like how we handle the spreading of our faith is what I'm trying to get at. And if you read the whole thing, you would realize that I said I don't believe in forcing my opinions on other people, I posted it to have a talk, and see what others believed, if they want to agree with me they can, if they don't then that is their choice, and I respect that

brooklyneast05
post Jul 31 2008, 05:27 PM
Post #18

I'm Jc

Member No: 437,556

QUOTE(Vaguememory @ Jul 31 2008, 05:24 PM) *
Okay I totally forgot about this post. Completely. Okay, I myself am a christian but I don't like how we handle the spreading of our faith is what I'm trying to get at. And if you read the whole thing, you would realize that I said I don't believe in forcing my opinions on other people, I posted it to have a talk, and see what others believed, if they want to agree with me they can, if they don't then that is their choice, and I respect that

how do you think it should be spread?

Vaguememory
post Jul 31 2008, 06:11 PM
Post #19

I hate how we go straight into the hellfire and brimstone. We should talk about the good things that God has done, but mention the fiar and lovingwrath of God, but not portray it immediatly as a "Do or die" situation. And slowly bring the person into belief, and then as they belive more, we let them see more and more of his loving wrath.

brooklyneast05
post Jul 31 2008, 06:24 PM
Post #20

I'm Jc

Member No: 437,556

yeah, i know what you're saying, but i just highly doubt that will accomplish anything. i just don't personally think that that's enough to do the trick.

i don't like people who shove their opinion down others throats either...but in a strange way, it almost makes more sense to me. if i really truly 100% believed my friends or family were going to burn in hell for all eternity...i'd be shoving stuff down their throat. the whole slow process would probably be unappealing to me considering there's no guarantee how long someone is going to live. them being saved from hellfire ASAP would be what i'd choose instead of slowly showing them the love of god ect ect

so i hate it, but in a way it's almost hard to hate on someone for doing it if they really really really honestly believe that junk

towntown2
post Jul 31 2008, 06:26 PM
Post #21

Mais je ne l'aime pas

Member No: 108,135

Many Christians tend to point out the faults in people and how those faults contradict the Christian beliefs.
I think if we enter the situation with our fingers pointing and wagging, nobody will want to listen to what we have to say about God.

Christians who picketed the funeral for the fallen gay soldier, holding signs saying, "God hates gay people" or "Burn in hell" are so far away from preaching the right message. It's embarrassing for me as a Christian myself to be associated with people like them.

I believe that our duty as members of the religion is to spread God's word. Condemning and judging should be left to Jesus himself.

NoSex
post Jul 31 2008, 07:36 PM
Post #22

in the reverb chamber.

QUOTE(Vaguememory @ Jul 31 2008, 06:11 PM) *
loving wrath.

Oxymoron much?

Vaguememory
post Jul 31 2008, 09:18 PM
Post #23

QUOTE(NoSex @ Jul 31 2008, 06:36 PM) *
Oxymoron much?

You don't understand much about God do you?

Town: I agree with you there.

shoryuken
post Jul 31 2008, 09:20 PM
Post #24

suu for... BUNCHA u iiddiott goo of topiic...
da thrad ainnt askenn boutt G@ddd n shiett... so stopp spammen.. stubborn.gif

Vaguememory
post Jul 31 2008, 10:42 PM
Post #25

Urm, actually God has something to do with this forum I should know, I am the one who started this. So I would know prince.

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: