Closed TopicStart new topic
New Rule, Introductions
Paradox of Life
post Aug 4 2005, 06:48 PM
Post #1

My name's Katt. Nice to meet you!

Group: Member
Member No: 93,674

Yes, I think all of my suggestions are usually pieces of crap, but something that really ticks me off is that people copy and paste things in introductions and their post count continues to go up. Isn't that considered spam? I mean, you're just copy and pasting. Isn't that rude as well? Aren't newbies worth your time to write a personal response? I was thinking that maybe there could be a rule against copying and pasting

'Welcome to CB! Have fun!'

on every single topic. I mean look at this:

Within the same 10 minutes you can rack up 11 posts by just copying and pasting an impersonal reply. And this person was so lazy, they copy and pasted SOMEONE ELSE'S welcome on every single topic.

Original (also copy and pasted):

Copy:

Should we just make it so posts don't count in Introductions or just make a rule against copying and pasting responses?

Daniel Rodriguez
post Aug 4 2005, 06:49 PM
Post #2

unknown user

Member No: 191,571

it kinda ticks me off a little but there just being nice... also you forgot that one chick/guy that says the same exact little paragraph, welcome to cb you need to join a club or something like that blink.gif

Paradox of Life
post Aug 4 2005, 06:54 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(Daniel Rodriguez @ Aug 4 2005, 5:49 PM)
it kinda ticks me off a little but there just being nice... also you forgot that one chick/guy that says the same exact little paragraph, welcome to cb you need to join a club or something like that  blink.gif

They're not being nice... Copy and paste responses are just a way to quickly increase your post count. Giving someone a personal response is a lot nicer and it means you actually care about them rather than copy and pasting the same thing for everyone.

And there are a little bit under a dozen people who do this. I don't have time to screenshot them all.

pshaa.shauna
post Aug 4 2005, 07:10 PM
Post #4

It eats you, starting with your bottom.

Member No: 160,674

I completely agree with you. That really ticks me off. I remeber that same girl (rupertgrint....) and some guy were talking about easy way to rack posts up, and they were talking about how you could just copy and paste message and rack up posts quickly. Besides, it doesn't matter how many posts you have it's the quality. And I don't care if the people are new they are peole and deserve a little more than copy and pasted message [/end]

This should be a rule, I back you 100%

Eryi
post Aug 4 2005, 07:11 PM
Post #5

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 77,305

That's been happening for a while now, we just want to greet them, give them a warm welcome. What else is there to say except, Welcome to createBlog, remember to read the Community guidelines? Obviously the replies are all going to be similar. We don't want LOOOONG conversations in a topic in the Introductions forum, do we? Wouldn't that be spam? But I do agree with you, post counts should not be enabled in that forum.

Paradox of Life
post Aug 4 2005, 07:14 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(JAMx33 @ Aug 4 2005, 6:11 PM)
That's been happening for a while now, we just want to greet them, give them a warm welcome. What else is there to say except, Welcome to createBlog, remember to read the Community guidelines? Obviously the replies are all going to be similar. We don't want LOOOONG conversations in a topic in the Introductions forum, do we? Wouldn't that be spam? But I do agree with you, post counts should not be enabled in that forum.

How is it a warm welcome when their motives are just to increase their post count? Don't you find that rude? I wouldn't feel welcome if all I got were robotic responses that didn't mean anything. What's the point of writing a little paragraph about myself if no one reads them? When they're just using my topic to increase their posts? Hm... ermm.gif

whomps
post Aug 4 2005, 07:22 PM
Post #7

:hammer:

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 7,700

Copying and pasting the same responses [in introductions] is already against the rules. Let me find it..

talcumpowder
post Aug 4 2005, 07:25 PM
Post #8

You'll find me in your dreams.

Group: Official Member
Member No: 114,010

PFT! If the rules goes into play, make it for Introductions and Digital Art. Why? Because the same thing happens. What's worse is that you don't even really have to say anything but 'good job' in the Digital Art forum! The replies are almost like spam, and they increase your post count. x.X[/rant]
I'm done now. And yeah... That's wy I don't go into Introductions anymore. I always feel like I'm spamming.
edit// Oh yeah...Eve is right. Huh, can we get the same rule for Digital Art too then? Please...?

demolished
post Aug 4 2005, 07:35 PM
Post #9

Group:
Member No: 8,001

Thats true. =D

haha, now we know who to look down at .. rolleyes.gif

whomps
post Aug 4 2005, 07:36 PM
Post #10

I've warned members for doing it before..

Daniel Rodriguez
post Aug 4 2005, 07:37 PM
Post #11

unknown user

yeah good work guys I really thing this should happen

Daniel Rodriguez
post Aug 4 2005, 07:42 PM
Post #12

unknown user

its the same thing with the "what are you listening to" topic cause anyone can go in there and just type a song and raise there count. thats what I did earlier I replied in there like huh 3-4 times ermm.gif

Eryi
post Aug 4 2005, 07:43 PM
Post #13

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 77,305

^Use the edit button, please.
QUOTE(nyah-nek0 @ Aug 4 2005, 8:25 PM)
PFT! If the rules goes into play, make it for Introductions and Digital Art. Why? Because the same thing happens. What's worse is that you don't even really have to say anything but 'good job' in the Digital Art forum! The replies are almost like spam, and they increase your post count. x.X[/rant]
I'm done now. And yeah... That's wy I don't go into Introductions anymore. I always feel like I'm spamming.
edit// Oh yeah...Eve is right. Huh, can we get the same rule for Digital Art too then? Please...?

I thought of that too! I agree with you. I just never brought it up.

talcumpowder
post Aug 4 2005, 07:45 PM
Post #14

You'll find me in your dreams.

Group: Official Member
Member No: 114,010

Yay for nice people who agree with Reiri! -glomp-
And while we're on this, can we have Digital art rules? Please..... Because everything else has rules. Xanga Showcase has rules now.

*incoherent*
post Aug 4 2005, 09:43 PM
Post #15

i dont see anything wrong with it...not much can be expected since there really isnt much to say besides hi, welcome, have fun posting, read the guidelines...i mean theres not much else to say. if you dont want people saying that then make it so that people cant reply because youre limited to what you can say. its not like you need to type a whole paragraph to get to know them. use a p/m.

*xcaitlinx*
post Aug 4 2005, 10:26 PM
Post #16

i always thought that "what are you listening to" should be in forum games. (i hope a head staff/admin sees this..) and i think it'd be a good idea if posts in introductions didn't add to your post count.

Spirited Away
post Aug 4 2005, 10:27 PM
Post #17

Quand j'étais jeune...

Member No: 1,272

QUOTE(anovation @ Aug 4 2005, 9:43 PM)
i dont see anything wrong with it...not much can be expected since there really isnt much to say besides hi, welcome, have fun posting, read the guidelines...i mean theres not much else to say. if you dont want people saying that then make it so that people cant reply because youre limited to what you can say. its not like you need to type a whole paragraph to get to know them. use a p/m.

Actually, if you'd read my post in this thread (the 3rd) and this (the fourth)... I mean, it's not that hard to say something more than "welcome, read the rules".

I don't see a point in welcoming someone, when you don't mean it.

And the point of this isn't to limit what a person can say to welcome another, the point of this is that too many people are copying and pasting their welcomes, which defeats the purpose. I was in a thread where people were welcoming a person while not realizing that the dude was a long time member and was coming back to the forum. The guy says "I was here before but now I'm back" in plain words. The least people could say was "welcome back" instead of the mundane "welcome read the rules".

ichigofan
post Aug 4 2005, 10:30 PM
Post #18

Member No: 143,687

Yea I suppose it gets annoying because people like that begin to think that their cB'ers have the right to choose to read/ not read peoples posts

xenosaga
post Aug 5 2005, 04:38 AM
Post #19

Donna-chan

Member No: 120,389

Should we just make it so posts don't count in Introductions or just make a rule against copying and pasting responses?

I agree to this, since the people only say,"welcome to Cb have fun" blah blah blah....

Hmm..but introductions is the first chance for newbies to get their first couple of posts in.

I know this should be the first opportunity, only if we can disable the people who already has been on CB for a while, so they won't spam, but this would be strange

whomps
post Aug 5 2005, 05:01 AM
Post #20

QUOTE(caytexo @ Aug 4 2005, 8:26 PM)
i always thought that "what are you listening to" should be in forum games. (i hope a head staff/admin sees this..) and i think it'd be a good idea if posts in introductions didn't add to your post count.

Why ? blink.gif

*mzkandi*
post Aug 5 2005, 06:04 AM
Post #21

I just now found this. Actually someone else made this topic but it disappeared. Anyways, yes I think if your going to go into Introductions at least make effort of saying a little different to make it a more personal welcome.

*mzkandi*
post Aug 5 2005, 06:04 AM
Post #22

damn double post...

Jane Doe.
post Aug 5 2005, 09:52 AM
Post #23

Member No: 170,127

hmm. although I know I haven't been around for long, and will probably have stones thrown at me, ..

I understand that the copying and pasting is just wrong. its one thing to try and be friendly, and welcoming..its another to do it because of post count

although I see it okay for a moderator to copy and paste [with some editing of it, of course]... why? because it is in the moderators place to do this..they have been chosen to be a moderator for specific qualities, and why the hell should one care for such petty things such as post count?
mod=job.
maybe I trust moderators too much, who knows.

I agree on you, that is annoying. and I've never seen a reply actually copied from someone else..jesus.

there is not really much you can tell a new member, is there? read the rules, tell us more about yourself, or just pick something from what they've posted, and show that you've read their intro.

since the only limitation is making the posts not count in that forum..and since its bothersome..ok..I agree?

and..how about [ahaha, hate me now] the Admins lower members post counts who have been obviously spamming, ..and for it be option, as opposed to the paddle..

[and warning members, restrictions, PMing them..]

well..look at me, I've rambled.
great.

*mipadi*
post Aug 5 2005, 09:59 AM
Post #24

I do a lot of work on the Wikipedia. On new members' talk pages, many people (including myself, from time to time), post this: {{subst:welcome}}. For anyone not familiar with Wiki code, that's a piece of code that automatically copies in a pre-set piece of welcome text. It gives the user a nice greeting and provides some handy links to help pages. I got one such message when I joined, and even though it was impersonal, I still found it very helpful, and appreciated the fact that someone took the time to post it at all.

Of course, some Wikipedians argue that it should never be used--a personal greeting is more welcoming and should always be used in place of pre-determined text. A counter-argument is that this pre-set text provides all new users with the same set of links to helpful services.

The point is that copying/pasting welcome text isn't always a bad thing. If it's good text (i.e., it links to some helpful topics, provides some useful information for new users, and so forth), it can be very helpful, even if it is a bit impersonal and ubiquitous. Of course, copying/pasting something like "Hi! Welcome to cB!" is completely non-productive, and users guilty of over-doing that perhaps should be warned by a mod or admin.

Aestuarium
post Aug 5 2005, 03:29 PM
Post #25

no

Member No: 167,908

yeah, they should add introductions to the list of forums that don't count

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: