Reply to this topicStart new topic
Hong Kong Disneyland, grand opening!
Gigi
post Sep 12 2005, 11:00 PM
Post #1

in a matter of time

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 191,357

The grand opening of Hong Kong Disneyland was today (actually...yesterday, because of the time difference).

Well, ever since I heard that Hong Kong was gonna have a Disneyland, I was so excited. You see, I go back to Hong Kong around twice a year, once during Christmas and once in the summer. I think it was around 1996 that they announced it, and being the happy 6 year old that I was, I couldn't wait. And it's here, now!

Although it hasn't exactly been the recipient of rave reviews, I believe that things will improve over time. To think that the opening of a new theme park would go perfectly isn't reasonable.

Lalalallaa. What are your thoughts?

Quote from www.bigwhiteguy.com:
Disney Dissatisfaction

Newspapers are having a field day pointing out the problems at Hong Kong Disneyland after it held two dress rehearsals in the run-up to opening.

Articles are filled with negative comments, such as:

“Disneyland does not have that many exciting rides. I hope they will cut down the maximum capacity for visitors.”

“The entertainment is just suitable for kids.”

“The staff are rude and lack smiles, and the customer service is unprofessional. Disney says it always brings happiness to its guests, but how can its staff tell my child, ‘you are not allowed to eat candy here’? Disney said its staff here are well-trained, so I don’t understand why they are so rude.”

“The waiting time is long - and I wonder what will happen if there are more people.”

“It is even worse than queueing for rice handouts during the Hungry Ghost Festival.”

“This kind of thing will only happen in Hong Kong. It’s the impatient and rude attitudes of Hong Kong and mainland people which steal Disneyland’s relaxed and cheerful atmosphere.”

Too many people and rudeness? That sounds like a typical Saturday afternoon in Mong Kok or Causeway Bay.

But the reporting is unbalanced; where are the quotes from people who enjoyed themselves and had no problems? The truth is somewhere in between.

Regardless, as with all new theme parks, Disneyland will have plenty of bugs to fix in the months to come — count on it.

Expecting everything to be flawless is unreasonable.

·Daily BWG·

© 1998-2005 Randall van der Woning

*lolita kitty*
post Sep 12 2005, 11:08 PM
Post #2

i thought it was open for quite awhile now.
hm. weird.

anyways, thats really cool! spreading around the world ^_^

lovescream
post Sep 12 2005, 11:10 PM
Post #3

define our lives for us.

Member No: 43,293

Yeah, my mom just announced that today. My grandmother is traveling back to Hong Kong tomorrow. =O!
Wow. Hehe. XD I go back every year.
Meh, I wasn't excited when my mom told me. Maybe it's because.. Hong Kong is hot and I think the seats might burn my butt.

latinprep12
post Sep 12 2005, 11:15 PM
Post #4

M.a. x.

Group: Member
Member No: 148,641

thats cool and you need to see if you can find pictures i wanna see

xmkaex
post Sep 12 2005, 11:16 PM
Post #5

Member No: 146,564

hrmm...purdy cool

*RiC3xBoy*
post Sep 12 2005, 11:24 PM
Post #6

I think its great, but now I can no longer tell that joke...

whomps
post Sep 12 2005, 11:51 PM
Post #7

:hammer:

Member No: 7,700

Gigi ! Were you born in HK ? And can you speak fluent Cantonese and Mandarin ? If yes.. that's so cool !!

Yeah, I heard about it on the radio. When I go to HK again, I'm going to go theeeeeeeeeereee. :DDD

Gigi
post Sep 13 2005, 12:00 AM
Post #8

in a matter of time

^ Yup. I can speak fluent Cantonese. I'm not so sure about Mandarin, though. Haha. I can manage some conversation if the person speaks reeeeally reeeally slow.

QUOTE(latinprep12 @ Sep 12 2005, 9:15 PM)
thats cool and you need to see if you can find pictures i wanna see

I don't know, Hong Kong Disneyland looks pretty much like any other ol' Disneyland. =S

There's a really ugly mountain right behind Sleeping Beauty's Castle, though, if that's any consolation.

I don't believe this was taken from the grand opening, most likely the soft opening.

jsmooth4ever
post Sep 13 2005, 12:10 AM
Post #9

Member No: 233,590

thats wussup I wanna see a mickey anime that woulsld be tight.

toodlepops.
post Sep 13 2005, 01:13 AM
Post #10

boo

Member No: 71,765

mm, yeah. Winnie and I was discussing this a while ago.
I heard it was one of the smaller parks, though.

latinprep12
post Sep 13 2005, 01:14 AM
Post #11

M.a. x.

wow gigiopolis thats a really nice picture i wish i can visit hong kong, i live 1 hour from the one in florida

gelionie
post Sep 13 2005, 07:36 AM
Post #12

say maydayism.

Member No: 26,344

From reuters.com:
SMOG BLANKETS OPENING

A blanket of smog, mainly from factories in southern China, choked much of the territory on Monday as Chinese Vice President Zeng Qinghong helped to officially open the park.

The pollution, close to the worst levels in the city so far this year, obscured its famous skyline and Victoria Harbour, though conditions at the park on nearby Lantau island improved as the day wore on.

A man who was one of the first visitors allowed into the park dropped to his knees inside the entrance and bowed towards the castle as others raced past him, heading for the rides.

Disney sold about 15,000 tickets for the opening day, about half of the park's capacity, but many invited guests and journalists were also on hand and several visitors complained it felt crowded.

Some visitors at rehearsals with far more people had complained of waiting hours for rides and food, and said that the park was too small. At 126 hectares (311 acres), it is less than half the size of the original Disneyland in California.

"You have to line up for everything. It's a pain, it's too crowded," said Chai Zaiying from the northern Chinese province of Hebei, whose package tour to Hong Kong with her husband included Disney tickets.

Nevertheless, Chai, 28, said she would consider visiting the park again with her child.

But other opening day visitors had no complaints.

"It was great! It was really exciting," said Zhou Xijiang, 68, wearing a big smile after getting off the Space Mountain ride with his wife, 62.

Asked if he thought many Chinese would come to the park, the retiree from Beijing said: "They will, they'll like it."

The park cost $1.8 billion to build, with another $2 billion spent to reclaim land for the project and build public services.

The Hong Kong government, which owns 57 percent of the park, has been accused of giving away too much in its negotiations with Disney, while other critics fear the U.S. entertainment giant will eventually open another park in Shanghai, damaging profits.

"I don't think it would be a threat. We have two locations in America," Braunstein said.

Mickey mania swept this city of nearly 7 million people on China's southern coast as opening day neared. Disney shirts and souvenirs are on sale around town and local television stations broadcast the opening ceremonies live.

Thousands of journalists and tourists have descended on Hong Kong for the launch, one of the biggest media events in the city since the former British colony was handed back to China in 1997.

The park is expected to draw 5.6 million visitors in its first year, a third of which are expected from China, and Disney has gone out of its way to lure visitors from the mainland.

Designers consulted "feng shui" masters to ensure that "qi", or natural energy, flows properly through the area, and characters like Alice in Wonderland sing and speak in Cantonese.

Buses have been commissioned to whisk Chinese visitors in from the border and a special rail line was built linking the park to the subway network. The train cars have windows shaped like Mickey Mouse's head and statues of Disney characters inside. (US$=HK$7.8)

I've heard from the news that SOME Mainland China tourists were throwing rubbish and peeing all over the place... pinch.gif hope that's not true. sick.gif

toodlepops.
post Sep 13 2005, 07:44 AM
Post #13

boo

Member No: 71,765

^Ew. Disgusting.
And pretty sad, too. Since it's the grand opening and what not.

latinprep12
post Sep 13 2005, 11:37 AM
Post #14

M.a. x.

I've heard from the news that SOME Mainland China tourists were throwing rubbish and peeing all over the place... pinch.gif hope that's not true. sick.gif

ewww thats pretty gross of them

to-devastate
post Sep 13 2005, 01:17 PM
Post #15

highfive.

Member No: 32,951

Oooh. It finally opened? That's cool!
But I'd wait a couple of years before going to it..
My dad said that he'd take me to HK when I graduate highschool.

*mipadi*
post Sep 13 2005, 01:21 PM
Post #16

The United States must make a preemptive strike to keep this scourge from spreading.

*incoherent*
post Sep 13 2005, 02:43 PM
Post #17

i had always thought there was a disney world in hong kong.

hmm...

Heewee
post Sep 13 2005, 02:47 PM
Post #18

Shove it

Member No: 91,641

QUOTE(anovation @ Sep 13 2005, 2:43 PM)
i had always thought there was a disney world in hong kong.

hmm...

sammme hmmm

Aoiro
post Sep 13 2005, 04:03 PM
Post #19

Member No: 127,076

I didn't know that...
I think.
Was it on the news.
Let me get back to my memory.
O______o;

jue
post Sep 13 2005, 04:45 PM
Post #20

Member No: 132,134

DISNEY LAND DISNEY LANDD.
lalala why cant there be one in NYC?

i havent been to disney land ever.

me1issaaaa
post Sep 13 2005, 07:01 PM
Post #21

Group: Official Member
Member No: 18,393

I thought there was one in Hong Kong already? Hm, silly me. Anyway, I want to go. :D

Gigi
post Sep 13 2005, 07:03 PM
Post #22

in a matter of time

QUOTE(niez_cho @ Sep 13 2005, 5:36 AM)

Actually I wouldn't be so surprised by that, from what I see of the behaviour of SOME of the Mainland China tourists roaming around Hong Kong.

shortiiex
post Sep 13 2005, 07:23 PM
Post #23

Group: Official Member
Member No: 52,702

i have seen taht on TV yesterday that is so awesome now if i go to Hong Kong i will go to DisneyLand!!

candid_09
post Sep 14 2005, 07:28 AM
Post #24

Member No: 234,961

Yipee! Hong Kong Disneyland is now open!

At least there is a Disneyland near to our country. I'll visit there next year... laugh.gif

*Tainted Euphoria*
post Sep 14 2005, 05:10 PM
Post #25

I think it's interesting that they've opened a park over there, but I wonder if it'll last. I hope that it does.

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: