Debate Rules

Here are the general forum rules that you must follow before you start any debate topics. Please make sure you've read and followed all directions.

Debate.

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
file sharing.
*kryogenix*
post Sep 14 2004, 04:30 PM
Post #1

file sharing. should people be allowed to "share" software, movies and music with others over the internet, or is this cheating the author/studio/artist etc. ?

I believe file sharing is wrong. People are hard at work producing these things. Why don't people just buy the licensce to the software/movie/music?

Why am I against file sharing? Because I'm going to be a computer programmer. I don't want to starve because some 12 year old downloaded my program off KaZaA. Think about how the artists must feel. I know they aren't starving, but still, they aren't receiving money that's rightfully theirs.

Software is to be treated like a book. You purchase the "book" and can read and access the material within the "book" any time you want. You can even share the "book" with a friend. However, because two people in two different places cannot be reading a book at the same time. When you lend the "book" to someone, you effectively lend them the licensce to view the book as they please. The same goes with software. Treat it as a book. You can share, but when you do so you are transferring the licensce to the person you are sharing with.

Sharing is fine, but only when one of the parties has a licensce to use the media that they are sharing.

*kryogenix*
post Sep 14 2004, 04:39 PM
Post #2

stupid me, moving to debate

ComradeRed
post Sep 14 2004, 04:45 PM
Post #3

Dark Lord of McCandless

Group: Member
Member No: 16,761

*kryogenix*
post Sep 14 2004, 04:53 PM
Post #4

lol. yeah, i remember that picture from the other thread.

but in all seriousness, piracy is wrong.

karrar
post Sep 14 2004, 08:50 PM
Post #5

Member No: 25,213

you know i agree with you but i mean i do it so i wont act liek an angel also i doubt is going to stop anytime soon.........i mean common why pay 20 bucks for a dvd of a movie why pay 15 bucks for a cd and why pay 50 bucks for a comp game when you can get it all for free.......thats what goes in the mind of people........

ryfitaDF
post Sep 14 2004, 09:22 PM
Post #6

LunchboxXx

Member No: 16,810

i don't think their's anything wrong with it. if i like the band i'll go to their show and buy a shirt and directly give money to them. if it weren't for pirating music i would have never gotten into alot of my favorite bands. and, also, smart people don't buy CDs unless they like most of the songs on it. how are they going to to know how much they like it if they don't "share" it.

tofumonzter
post Sep 14 2004, 09:33 PM
Post #7

[[one piece :D

Member No: 795

in my opinion. downloading whatever that you should have pay to get it from the internet is really not fair to the company or band. yes. it's free, but the company isn't working for free-pirate-software-download version, they are actually buy to use.

how are they going to to know how much they like it if they don't "share" it.

that might not be the share the company wanted. share it from the internet is not okay at all. but if you friend bought it, borrow it from him, listen to it. thats a positive sharing. as for downloading(share) free programs or musics, that's always against the license agreements and others.

i mean common why pay 20 bucks for a dvd of a movie why pay 15 bucks for a cd and why pay 50 bucks for a comp game when you can get it all for free.......thats what goes in the mind of people........

say hello to lawsuits.

WhiteLotus*
post Sep 14 2004, 11:06 PM
Post #8

Member No: 44,332

I'm against it as well. If I want a or a DVD, I get it the old fashioned way: Buying it from a music store/ movie store. I dont feel right, and the artist worked very hard producing a CD as well .

tofumonzter
post Sep 14 2004, 11:34 PM
Post #9

[[one piece :D

Member No: 795

QUOTE(WhiteLotus* @ Sep 14 2004, 9:06 PM)
I'm against it as well. If I want a or a DVD, I get it the old fashioned way: Buying it from a music store/ movie store. I dont feel right, and the artist worked very hard producing a CD as well .

or you can borrow it from someone(that doesn't mean copying and ripping). or blockbuster(sp.)

KrAzi3piNoY
post Sep 15 2004, 03:17 PM
Post #10

Member No: 49,186

yeah its somewhat wrong

capsule
post Sep 15 2004, 03:39 PM
Post #11

ㅋㅋㅋ

Member No: 24,283

how are they going to to know how much they like it if they don't "share" it.

well...with music, iTunes takes care of that the legal way, offering 30 second samples for free of music u might want (and if u really do like it, just a buck to get the song).

yeah its somewhat wrong

how it is "somewhat" wrong...??

gerundio
post Sep 15 2004, 08:31 PM
Post #12

Member No: 42,793

QUOTE(kryogenix @ Sep 14 2004, 4:30 PM)
file sharing. should people be allowed to "share" software, movies and music with others over the internet, or is this cheating the author/studio/artist etc. ?

I believe file sharing is wrong. People are hard at work producing these things. Why don't people just buy the licensce to the software/movie/music?

Why am I against file sharing? Because I'm going to be a computer programmer. I don't want to starve because some 12 year old downloaded my program off KaZaA.

I HOPE YOU STARVE. boxing.gif

heroin_like_high
post Sep 15 2004, 10:36 PM
Post #13

I will spin you to sugar.

Member No: 22,843

QUOTE(gerundio @ Sep 15 2004, 8:31 PM)

hahaha that really cracked me up!! laugh.gif

gigiopolis
post Sep 17 2004, 01:27 AM
Post #14

gigi =p

Member No: 41,206

QUOTE(masu_misairu @ Sep 15 2004, 12:39 PM)
well...with music, iTunes takes care of that the legal way, offering 30 second samples for free of music u might want (and if u really do like it, just a buck to get the song).

30 seconds...ehh I don't think so...you can't get enough of the song in 30 seconds. Plus I agree with the idea that if you download mp3's, you'll find something you like and buy the band's CD. That's certainly true for me. Who has the time (and money) to go out to HMV and buy every single new CD in stock, just to see if you like the band?

Sure, I think that maybe there should be a fee for the songs, but a dollar a song is a little much, don't you think? A CD with 15 songs can cost $15-$20. If you REALLY want to attract buying mp3's, they really should lower the cost to like 75 cents, at the very most.

sikdragon
post Sep 17 2004, 01:29 AM
Post #15

Bardic Nation

Member No: 38,059

It's like an answering machine, you screen the music before you buy it. People take to something they like on their own rather than trusting the manager of CD sales.

would you buy a car from a man with a crooked smile from a company you have never heard of without a test drive?

*kryogenix*
post Sep 17 2004, 06:59 AM
Post #16

QUOTE(gerundio @ Sep 15 2004, 8:31 PM)

we shall see.

30 seconds...ehh I don't think so...you can't get enough of the song in 30 seconds. Plus I agree with the idea that if you download mp3's, you'll find something you like and buy the band's CD. That's certainly true for me. Who has the time (and money) to go out to HMV and buy every single new CD in stock, just to see if you like the band?

Sure, I think that maybe there should be a fee for the songs, but a dollar a song is a little much, don't you think? A CD with 15 songs can cost $15-$20. If you REALLY want to attract buying mp3's, they really should lower the cost to like 75 cents, at the very most.

if 30 seconds isn't enough, try the radio like everyone else did pre-Napster. And yes, some people will buy the cd after listening to the song they like, but there are people who will abuse the system and download entire albums and burning them, without ever paying a cent.

Yes, I do agree that the price should be less for downloading songs, but maybe, they're trying to discourage you from downloading and instead, buy the cd. it should be less though, you spend time downloading, you need to provide the cd and you don't get a jewel case and a cover for the cd.

banddorko
post Sep 18 2004, 01:43 PM
Post #17

Member No: 6,476

the radio...? i don't know where you live, but the radio here is all country and top 40, which is not the kind of music i like.

i also don't think 30 seconds is enough. i usually go to barnes and noble and listen to the samples there, and some of the cd's i bought from there that i thought would be good from the samples suck.

file sharing has made me buy a lot more cd's. i hadn't bought a cd for over 6 months. after i got kazaa lite (about 8 months ago) i bought over 30 cd's because i could sample music easily. and who really downloads whole cd's off kazaa or something? i think it's way too much work with all the fake files and stuff.

plus if you buy a cd without listening to it first and you don't like it, i don't get the point. so the band that you don't like makes money because you were curious about how they sounded?

i would be content if bands let you listen to their whole cd on their website (i know some do, but others usually only have a song or two), but i don't think that will happen....

gigiopolis
post Sep 18 2004, 07:30 PM
Post #18

gigi =p

Member No: 41,206

QUOTE(kryogenix @ Sep 17 2004, 3:59 AM)
we shall see.

if 30 seconds isn't enough, try the radio like everyone else did pre-Napster. And yes, some people will buy the cd after listening to the song they like, but there are people who will abuse the system and download entire albums and burning them, without ever paying a cent.

Yes, I do agree that the price should be less for downloading songs, but maybe, they're trying to discourage you from downloading and instead, buy the cd. it should be less though, you spend time downloading, you need to provide the cd and you don't get a jewel case and a cover for the cd.

As much as I agree with your points, I'd have to agree with banddorko that radio ( at least, in my city) only plays the stuff that I've heard all the time, the CD's that I've already bought. Media hardly give chances to new and different artists by promoting them on TV, radio and whatnot. A lot of bands that I've heard from downloading haven't been played on the radio. If I didnt' download it, I wouldn't even have known about their existence!

It is true about people who burn the whole album. But at least for me, I don't do that. Either I hate the band and don't download at all or I love the band so much that I need to support them by buying their CD.

AND THE PRICES ARE TOO EXPENSIVE! It's true. I agree, there isn't all the packaging from mp3's you buy online.

jennifish
post Sep 19 2004, 02:06 AM
Post #19

jn

Member No: 49,769

i think it should be all right, unless you burn it and sell it. iono actually.

*kryogenix*
post Sep 19 2004, 08:42 AM
Post #20

QUOTE(barelyy_coherent @ Sep 18 2004, 7:30 PM)
As much as I agree with your points, I'd have to agree with banddorko that radio ( at least, in my city) only plays the stuff that I've heard all the time, the CD's that I've already bought. Media hardly give chances to new and different artists by promoting them on TV, radio and whatnot. A lot of bands that I've heard from downloading haven't been played on the radio.

if they don't play the music you want on the radio, request it.

If I didnt' download it, I wouldn't even have known about their existence!

And if you never knew they existed before, how did you know what to type in the search to download the song?

It is true about people who burn the whole album. But at least for me, I don't do that. Either I hate the band and don't download at all or I love the band so much that I need to support them by buying their CD.

Good for you _smile.gif

AND THE PRICES ARE TOO EXPENSIVE! It's true. I agree, there isn't all the packaging from mp3's you buy online.

But still, you shouldn't be stealing. If you wanted a $100,000 car, but you didn't have $100,000 , should you steal it?

gerundio
post Sep 19 2004, 12:07 PM
Post #21

Member No: 42,793

SOUL SEEK

^^^

Soul Seek is the best program for file sharing download it.

MrElsewhere
post Sep 19 2004, 12:26 PM
Post #22

Change Gon Come

Member No: 18,822

well, i use the p2p networks to get singles i like. and when i get tired of the singles, i buy the CD. one single < a CD, eh?

eboarder2020
post Sep 19 2004, 12:41 PM
Post #23

Pimp Status

Member No: 1,200

File sharing could go either way... There are some local bands who put their music on downaloadable programs just so they can get exposure... I know this because my neighbors band did that, and they milked the benefits of having people across country hear there song... Even if its one download here and there, their music got out and they loved the music sharing deal. Soon they were asked to play at shows in different states... I can understand why big artists like eminem, or Dr. Dre would want their music off. I know that they work hard for it, and they deserve to get awarded and paid. I just however believe its rediculous for the price of their CD... $15 would be a "deal" but many CD are more then that... Its only like what no more than $7.00 for a blank CD and just by putting some persons music on it makes that CD double in price. Even if only a few thousand people purchased the CD I would think the Artist gets a bag load of cash from it. When a person releases a CD they get tons of money even if the CD doesnt sale... For one they get huge advertisement, and that alone gets them paid like a mother. And when they go on MTV and the Leno show and what not they also get paid for that... If you think the artist are rich now, think of how much richer they would be if we all HAD to buy their CD's... The houses could probobly be twice and big, and their car collection would double or even tripple in size.

I love the music i listen to, and I download em because I feel that i could asve that $15 on a CD for something better. $15 could get me a volunteer tutor who could help me with my school work. It can get me a better lunch, it can help me pay for gas, taxes, and all that other good stuff

The artist may not starve right now, and they may never... But if i bought every CD because of a song I liked, I'd be the one starving.

sikdragon
post Sep 19 2004, 12:43 PM
Post #24

Bardic Nation

Member No: 38,059

it is just a few cents for a blank cd.

nyctophiliac
post Sep 19 2004, 01:44 PM
Post #25

stephanie ..

Member No: 15,529

it is just a few cents for a blank cd.

yeah can't you just burn it on a CD?

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: