Reply to this topicStart new topic
Julius Caesar, not understanding the ironies..!
hopelovebaby
post Apr 2 2008, 09:19 PM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No: 599,084

If any of you have read Julius Caesar, can you please help me explain some of these quotes and how they show irony, specifically situational irony?

1. Upon condition Publius shall not live, Who is your sister's son, Mark Antony. (4:1:6-7)
this is when antony and octavius are making a list of who to kill...so does something ironic and contradictory happen involving this? really confused...

2.This is a slight unmeritable man, Meet to be sent on errands: is it fit, The three-fold world divided, he should stand One of the three to share it? (4:1:14-17)
This is when Antony and octavius are discussing lepidus...once again i dont really see the irony.

3. Sheathe your dagger: Be angry when you will, it shall have scope; Do what you will, dishonor shall be humour. O Cassius, you are yoked with a lamb that carries anger as the flint bears fire; Who, much enforced, shows a hasty spark, and straight is cold again. (4:3:120-127)
-during brutus' and cassius' argument..

please please help if you know any possible explanations for these..
thank you so much =]]

illriginal
post Apr 3 2008, 12:42 PM
Post #2

Group: Official Member
Member No: 455,274

QUOTE(hopelovebaby @ Apr 2 2008, 10:19 PM) *
If any of you have read Julius Caesar, can you please help me explain some of these quotes and how they show irony, specifically situational irony?

1. Upon condition Publius shall not live, Who is your sister's son, Mark Antony. (4:1:6-7)
this is when antony and octavius are making a list of who to kill...so does something ironic and contradictory happen involving this? really confused...

2.This is a slight unmeritable man, Meet to be sent on errands: is it fit, The three-fold world divided, he should stand One of the three to share it? (4:1:14-17)
This is when Antony and octavius are discussing lepidus...once again i dont really see the irony.

3. Sheathe your dagger: Be angry when you will, it shall have scope; Do what you will, dishonor shall be humour. O Cassius, you are yoked with a lamb that carries anger as the flint bears fire; Who, much enforced, shows a hasty spark, and straight is cold again. (4:3:120-127)

thank you so much =]]

ermm.gif I don't know what you want... I don't understand the meaning of this.

xoxo_proud
post Apr 3 2008, 09:09 PM
Post #3

Member No: 387,078

thank you so much =]]

1. Because they're so crazy about trying to punish people that they're even willing to kill their own family members.

2. Maybe because Lepidus is running erands for them when he should be acting like a leader. I mean if he's going to be in an alliance with Antony and Octavius, he shouldn't just take orders from either of them. Lepidus acts like a sheep when he should be acting like a lion (or wolf) =)

3. I'm not sure about this one. Cassius is being a drama queen, though biggrin.gif

I read this last year. So ask your teacher if these are right before you turn it in. They might be wrong.

michellerrific
post Apr 3 2008, 09:44 PM
Post #4

vivacity

Group: Official Member
Member No: 495,247

Woah, have you checked out Sparknotes? Not to cheat, but there's an ENTIRE MODERN ENGLISH TRANSLATION ON THERE! It saved me.

Joanne
post Apr 3 2008, 10:26 PM
Post #5

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 95,404

Man, I don't remember anything about Julius Caesar. I read it two years ago... the only think I can remember is "Et tu, Brute?" and that 7-line quote about Colossus. xD

I'd totally use Sparknotes; it's not cheating at all. However, I wouldn't rely too much on it.

ToxicTaco
post Apr 4 2008, 08:46 PM
Post #6

[Insert something Witty Here]

Member No: 598,828

QUOTE(hopelovebaby @ Apr 2 2008, 09:19 PM) *

thank you so much =]]

not only that. but the only thing that still stands in his name today is .... A salad.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: