Reply to this topicStart new topic
College: Attending or Wanting to Attend, Version 2
Tung
post Jan 22 2008, 02:09 AM
Post #26

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 65,593

^ I'm going to the University of San Francisco for Grad School after I get my Bachelor's in Molecular and Cellular Biology.

*CowerPointyObjects*
post Jan 22 2008, 02:17 AM
Post #27

Where'd you go after RISD?

I applied to UGA, USC (South Carolina, unlike the rest of you), Oxford College of Emory, Elon, and Emory. Got in everywhere except Emory, because I really only applied there for the hell of it anyway.

Just_Dream
post Jan 22 2008, 05:04 AM
Post #28

durian

Member No: 3,860

QUOTE(tungmyBANANA @ Jan 21 2008, 11:09 PM) *
^ I'm going to the University of San Francisco for Grad School after I get my Bachelor's in Molecular and Cellular Biology.

USF or UCSF?

If it's UCSF, you know you're going to have to work 10x harder because med school at ucsf is really competitive and rigorous, as I've heard.

Anyways...

I am attending UCSD and I want to go to Tufts University for grad school, but most likely I will end up at UCLA or something. ermm.gif

MissHygienic
post Jan 22 2008, 01:26 PM
Post #29

Resource Center Tyrant

Group: Official Member
Member No: 593,306

QUOTE(CowerPointyObjects @ Jan 22 2008, 02:17 AM) *
Where'd you go after RISD?

Nowhere. Personal life got in the way, so I dropped college altogether. I don't regret it, but the college discussion made me miss it.

Tung, that's interesting, because I had wanted to major in double major in Neurology and Psychology with a minor in Human Anatomy and Physiology. What's your goal with that after graduate school?

Just_Dream: Is there a reason why you're predicting that you'll end up in UCLA? I think if you get accepted into Tufts, you should attend. And make way in your life to attend the school.

HakunaMatata
post Jan 22 2008, 08:24 PM
Post #30

Home is where your rump rests!

Member No: 451,969

West Valley Community College next year. _smile.gif After that? Whoooo knowwws, but "at least" a UC - no state colleges, if I want to get into UCSF.

ersatz
post Jan 22 2008, 09:33 PM
Post #31

Ms. Granger

Member No: 165,238

QUOTE(LoveToMySilas @ Jan 21 2008, 08:11 PM) *
I wanna go to Cornell for the veterinary program and maybe that school in Oxford...what is it called..._unsure.gif

Oberlin in Oxford, Ohio?

freeflow
post Jan 22 2008, 09:38 PM
Post #32

t-t-t-toyaaa

Member No: 11,270

I want to go to USC (Southern California) too. I'm not even going to lie. If I don't get in, which I don't count on it. I'm going to San Francisco state (most likely, my mom and I are still arguing over where I'm going).

Melissa
post Jan 22 2008, 10:14 PM
Post #33

;)

Group: Duplicate
Member No: 3,760

Hm, after graduating with a B.A. in Neuroscience and Behavior, I want to stay in NY and go to Columbia's school for Physicians and Surgeons. Idk, though, considering last semester grades, I probably wont get in.

Tung
post Jan 22 2008, 10:46 PM
Post #34

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

Member No: 65,593

QUOTE(MissHygienic @ Jan 22 2008, 10:26 AM) *
Tung, that's interesting, because I had wanted to major in double major in Neurology and Psychology with a minor in Human Anatomy and Physiology. What's your goal with that after graduate school?

Pharmacy.

Just_Dream
post Jan 24 2008, 05:47 PM
Post #35

durian

QUOTE(MissHygienic @ Jan 22 2008, 10:26 AM) *
Just_Dream: Is there a reason why you're predicting that you'll end up in UCLA? I think if you get accepted into Tufts, you should attend. And make way in your life to attend the school.

Well I predict that I will still be living in California -- it's just more convenient that way. But I would love to go to grad school in the east coast, plus I've heard wondering things about Tufts from someone who attended that school. My GPA's not so great right now, but recently I've started off with a really good start -- gone to all my classes and aced my first midterm/exam without the help of a curve -- and I'm taking 5 classes. Who knows where I will be? I'm still only a sophmore, but yea... :P

Also, out of state costs and cost of living over in the east coast... I know I will end up taking out loans, but I don't think I'll be prepared to take out $200,000 in loans for 4 years. Seriously, because that's how much the girl who graduated from there and is now currently a dentist owes. But it's okay because she's making the six-figures, so I'm sure she'll pay it off in like 2-3 years. Money is a big issue, that's why I have to settle for the UC system, at least, since loans might kill me. =X

Smarmosaur
post Jan 27 2008, 02:09 PM
Post #36

AKA RockIt Studios

Member No: 421,809

even though i posted in the other one...

MASMC (academy) at northwest missouri.

as for actual college, MIT baby.

jaeman
post Jan 29 2008, 06:58 AM
Post #37

Member No: 10,581

I remember rooting for USC and USD. It's alright, SDSU, FTW.

MissHygienic
post Jan 29 2008, 09:51 AM
Post #38

Resource Center Tyrant

Member No: 593,306

QUOTE(Just_Dream @ Jan 24 2008, 05:47 PM) *
Well I predict that I will still be living in California -- it's just more convenient that way. But I would love to go to grad school in the east coast, plus I've heard wondering things about Tufts from someone who attended that school. My GPA's not so great right now, but recently I've started off with a really good start -- gone to all my classes and aced my first midterm/exam without the help of a curve -- and I'm taking 5 classes. Who knows where I will be? I'm still only a sophmore, but yea... :P

Also, out of state costs and cost of living over in the east coast... I know I will end up taking out loans, but I don't think I'll be prepared to take out $200,000 in loans for 4 years. Seriously, because that's how much the girl who graduated from there and is now currently a dentist owes. But it's okay because she's making the six-figures, so I'm sure she'll pay it off in like 2-3 years. Money is a big issue, that's why I have to settle for the UC system, at least, since loans might kill me. =X

Don't your teachers ever give you pep talks about loans? I suppose it might be a bit much, but a lot of students get money by applying to random scholarships and being able to get $10,000 out of it. I think all college students walk out of college with a debt, unless you're rich, so you'll be in the same boat as others. I suppose if Tufts isn't a first-choice college for you, and you're where you want to be, then so be it, but I was just wondering what was stopping you. Convenience can be a big factor.

misoshiru
post Jan 29 2008, 02:19 PM
Post #39

yan lin♥

Member No: 13,627

QUOTE(Joss-eh-lime @ Jan 22 2008, 09:42 AM) *
APU
Azusa Pacific
but its so expensive.
i just want to stay in Cali

i had a friend who went there. but she transfered out cuz her parents made her.

i go to mount holyoke college. home of feminists and lesbians. rolleyes.gif

Just_Dream
post Jan 31 2008, 05:06 AM
Post #40

durian

QUOTE(MissHygienic @ Jan 29 2008, 06:51 AM) *
Don't your teachers ever give you pep talks about loans? I suppose it might be a bit much, but a lot of students get money by applying to random scholarships and being able to get $10,000 out of it. I think all college students walk out of college with a debt, unless you're rich, so you'll be in the same boat as others. I suppose if Tufts isn't a first-choice college for you, and you're where you want to be, then so be it, but I was just wondering what was stopping you. Convenience can be a big factor.

Well yea I do plan on applying for scholarships, but I don't want to end up taking out loans that could buy me a house. I will most likely walk out of college with debt, but at least it would be CRAZY DEBT (at least I hope not). I wish I could take a year off after getting my bachelor's to at least work and make some money and train at a dental office, but they say it's better to go straight into med school right after getting your degree.

I will talk to an academic adviser and financial adviser about my future plans, but I'm not worrying about it too much right now because I know that I still have time to plan out what I want to do. I'm also joining the pre-dental society at UCSD so I know for sure they will give me important information, information that will do me good will, much better than a counselor/adviser, since my worries are more towards what requirements I will need and how to ease the chance of getting in the college(s) of my choice, rather than how to financially support myself.

Comptine
post Jan 31 2008, 12:49 PM
Post #41

Sing to Me

Group: Member
Member No: 10,808

^ I wouldn't worry too much for the financial aspects although it's definitely an overhanging gray cloud.

Ivy Leagues actually give adequate financial aid (I mean, of course they miss sometimes). If anything, you can try to force a better financial package if you get accepted to Cornell (as long as you don't ED). If another school gives you a better package, copy and send it over to Cornell and ask if they can match it.

About the requirements and everything... Cornell is relatively easy to get into but pretty hard to stay in, so I wouldn't worry about the entrance too much unless you don't have the grades.

Melissa
post Jan 31 2008, 02:13 PM
Post #42

;)

Group: Duplicate
Member No: 3,760

^ I'm gonna have to disagree with that one. If you're middle class or upper middle class (which basically seems to be nearly everyone on cb), the size of your fin. aid package wont be enough for you to not take out loans.

And unless you slack off majorly in college, it shouldn't be that hard to stay in once you get in. Getting in is the most important part.

Just_Dream
post Jan 31 2008, 05:42 PM
Post #43

durian

QUOTE(resplendence @ Jan 31 2008, 09:49 AM) *
I wouldn't worry too much for the financial aspects although it's definitely an overhanging gray cloud.

Ivy Leagues actually give adequate financial aid (I mean, of course they miss sometimes). If anything, you can try to force a better financial package if you get accepted to Cornell (as long as you don't ED). If another school gives you a better package, copy and send it over to Cornell and ask if they can match it.

About the requirements and everything... Cornell is relatively easy to get into but pretty hard to stay in, so I wouldn't worry about the entrance too much unless you don't have the grades.

I think you're misunderstanding what I am initially writing about. I am already in college and I'm planning on going to graduate school to get my Ph.D., and financial circumstances will limit my flexibility on which college I will attend for graduate school. Financial aid only assists you through my undergraduate degree. In addition I pay NOTHING right now for college, so I am not worried about attending UCSD.

Eryi
post Jan 31 2008, 07:00 PM
Post #44

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 77,305

I'm applying Williams College early.
My second choice is Stanford University. Then it's down to Penn, Dartmouth College, Harvard, Bowdoin, and Amherst.

imm
post Feb 4 2008, 02:25 AM
Post #45

Group: Member
Member No: 30,808

Wellesley is my first choice! Then Boston College...

fire
post Feb 4 2008, 02:34 AM
Post #46

Member No: 523,843

absinthe
post Feb 4 2008, 02:35 AM
Post #47

GD. <3

Member No: 198,566

Attending. CC atm, but wanting to transfer to USC, or UCI.

DoubleJ
post Feb 4 2008, 01:59 PM
Post #48

The Resident Drunk

Group: Head Staff
Member No: 593,266

I put off college, but now I am going back. I plan on attending rutgers or Montclair State.

S-Majere
post Feb 4 2008, 02:14 PM
Post #49

Addict

Member No: 538,522

QUOTE(DoubleJ @ Feb 4 2008, 01:59 PM) *
I put off college, but now I am going back. I plan on attending rutgers or Montclair State.

Go Javonn! I'm proud of you. thumbsup.gif

I went into the ajoining Sixth Form of my college after I completed my GCSE's.

tokyo-rose
post Sep 6 2008, 12:20 PM
Post #50

♡♡♡♡♡

Group: Head Staff
Member No: 108,478

QUOTE(Synesthesia @ Jan 21 2008, 04:05 PM) *
I want to go to Columbia or NYU.

Haha, I do not want to attend these schools anymore. Now I'd rather attend a CUNY, like City or Hunter.

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: