Closed TopicStart new topic
Boredom + Sunday Addiction, an idea for Cb
Comptine
post Feb 23 2007, 12:55 PM
Post #1

Sing to Me

Group: Member
Member No: 10,808

so. i was really bored. so i decided to surf some of my favorite sites. i was looking at postsecret's postcards of the week when i had this epiphany (okay... not epiphany more like a random idea)...

what if Cb had it's only postsecret type thingy?

i think it would be cool and it would work. i mean, half of us know how to us photoshop/psp/gimp/etc. maybe once a week, we can have people submit their secrets on "postcards" and we can post them up ...somewhere.

would this Cb postsecret be in the Lounge? Graphic Showcase? Entertainment?

ideas? interest? i actually have it pretty planned out. i just need an "okay go" because it would take a few things.

i'm sorry if my boredom made a really weird/pointless topic.

*mona lisa*
post Feb 23 2007, 01:13 PM
Post #2

Hmmm, this is quite interesting. :D I don't think you need permission to do this but what are these few things you would need to do first?

I don't think it should go in Graphics Showcase. The emphasis isn't on the design aspect of the postcard.

*StanleyThePanda*
post Feb 23 2007, 01:55 PM
Post #3

Aw, We had something like this at Hitherston. That brings back fun memories. heh.
But we had an anonymous account that people could sign in on, and post.
So, that no one would know who it was from.

Anyways, That may be an issue for cB. How is it going to stay anonymous? ermm.gif
I mean, I guess it doesn't have to be anonymous, but I'm sure a lot of members would prefer it.

With that said, if we do end up doing this, I think the best place would be here (The Lounge).

KissMe2408
post Feb 23 2007, 02:29 PM
Post #4

Yawn

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 65,772

I like this idea alot, really cool actually.

Hm, maybe there could be one person that all the secrets are PM'd to or something, and that one neutral person can post them, so people wouldn't know who they are from and such.

I like this idea a lot though, it would be nice in the Lounge.

Comptine
post Feb 23 2007, 02:31 PM
Post #5

Sing to Me

i was thinking of making an anonymous account and let everyone know the password.

but then, we don't want to have thirty submissions a week. so i don't know how to sort through them and post them.

i usually like to get an "okay go" just to make sure it doesn't bother anyone.

mznikki
post Feb 23 2007, 03:39 PM
Post #6

Nikkie

Member No: 28,991

That's a really neat idea, just the problem with making one anonymous account and giving everyone the password, somehow we'd have to make sure that it doesn't lead to trouble, and monitor it. If that made any sense whatsoever blink.gif lol, but other than that I'm for it.

Jeng
post Feb 23 2007, 06:53 PM
Post #7

Group: Official Member
Member No: 213,509

I've seen this at l-l.org, it's neat, people post their seriour secrets and it's sometimes really sad but you wouldn't know who had said it. I'm in for this.

Señorita Semi-Au...
post Feb 23 2007, 07:59 PM
Post #8

Oh My Goblet of Fire!

Member No: 504,421

This is a really awesome idea! I was just thinking that CB needed a postsecret thing, but I couldn't think of how we could do it!

*disco infiltrator*
post Feb 23 2007, 08:04 PM
Post #9

Yeah, I wouldn't trust the people on this forum with an account that's actually used for something (there's trouble with normal accounts as it is) so making an account and giving out the password to everybody doesn't seem such a good idea.

I think that they should be PMed/emailed to someone and then they can post them...in fact (to be sure that it would be handled properly and the person running it wouldn't just up and leave CB sometime) maybe they could be PMed to Suzzette and me and then people can feel like we have a purpose as mentors? We're both pretty active, and if one of us has downtime where we just can't be on, the other can handle it. Just an idea.

SarahxJoy
post Feb 23 2007, 08:06 PM
Post #10

What the fack.

Group: Official Member
Member No: 8,519

I love PostSecret, and the whole concept behind it. I've always wanted for cB to have its own little PS shindig, but I never really comitted to it. I think it's an awesome idea.

Though, posting the "postcards" anonymously is still a problem. ermm.gif My first initial thought was to PM them to someone who can be trusted and whatnot, like how Sammie has pointed out. But, would members feel comfortable enough even PMing their secrets to another member? _unsure.gif

HakunaMatata
post Feb 24 2007, 12:55 AM
Post #11

Home is where your rump rests!

Member No: 451,969

If nobody minds, I'm moving this to Feedback. (:

Anyway, it sounds like a great idea on the surface. However, the whole anonymity thing does present a major problem. Can we just...print it out and mail it to someone and the recipient scans and posts it?

*disco infiltrator*
post Feb 24 2007, 01:43 AM
Post #12

Why not email/pm them?...Not all of us are allowed to mail to online people.

Comptine
post Feb 24 2007, 02:51 AM
Post #13

Sing to Me

but then it wouldn't be completely anonymous. you know where the postcard came from.

*I Shot JFK*
post Feb 24 2007, 06:17 AM
Post #14

QUOTE(disco infiltrator @ Feb 24 2007, 1:04 AM) *
Yeah, I wouldn't trust the people on this forum with an account that's actually used for something (there's trouble with normal accounts as it is) so making an account and giving out the password to everybody doesn't seem such a good idea.

I think that they should be PMed/emailed to someone and then they can post them...in fact (to be sure that it would be handled properly and the person running it wouldn't just up and leave CB sometime) maybe they could be PMed to Suzzette and me and then people can feel like we have a purpose as mentors? We're both pretty active, and if one of us has downtime where we just can't be on, the other can handle it. Just an idea.

That's a pretty good idea, actually.

And better than the idea of a shared account... It would be an inevitable crisis.

HakunaMatata
post Feb 24 2007, 10:30 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(Endless_Symphony @ Feb 23 2007, 11:51 PM) *
but then it wouldn't be completely anonymous. you know where the postcard came from.
It would be anonymous; that's how the real PostSecret works b/c you don't need to put a return address. Buuuut what Sammi is true, some aren't allowed to mail things. sad.gif But couldn't it be option? Some people will still feel uncomfortable PMing an actual member.

However, PMing the Mentors is loads better than the anonymous account. That, even with really good intentions, wouldn't go over too well.

*Intercourse.*
post Feb 24 2007, 10:52 AM
Post #16

There is no way to keeping it completely anonymous as much better as it would be. I love this idea though. I think what we should do is just PM them to Mentor's as Sammi said, and you can take your pick at which one you trust more and then send them to them. Making the other account would be the biggest problem in the world. I know you have the best intentions but it would be best to PM them to someone on staff, someone trust worthy enough that we know they won't go tell the world about who's which ones were.

What exactly would be done with them? Would they just be showcased or what?

*disco infiltrator*
post Feb 24 2007, 01:12 PM
Post #17

Well, do people want the option to comment on each one? Or should there just be one thread with constant posts of updates?

I like the thread better, personally. Comments are unnecessary in something like this.

*StanleyThePanda*
post Feb 24 2007, 01:16 PM
Post #18

^ I agree, Comments aren't really necessary. I would rather it just be the Secrets, that way you dont have to scroll through comments to get to them. happy.gif

*Intercourse.*
post Feb 24 2007, 04:28 PM
Post #19

I agree for the thread, if others would like to discuss on them then there can be a seperate topic for it..
Where would this go exactly?
Sandbox?

*incoherent*
post Feb 24 2007, 05:18 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(Intercourse. @ Feb 24 2007, 9:52 AM) *
There is no way to keeping it completely anonymous as much better as it would be. I love this idea though.
uh, yeah there is. random email accounts, random aim s/ns, or you could always use this...http://www.deadfake.com/Send.aspx

not to oppose the idea because i like it, but blogring does this extact thing.

HakunaMatata
post Feb 24 2007, 05:26 PM
Post #21

^That shouldn't stop us. Different forum, different people. The idea may take on something new with cB, you never know
QUOTE(Intercourse. @ Feb 24 2007, 1:28 PM) *
I agree for the thread, if others would like to discuss on them then there can be a seperate topic for it..
Where would this go exactly?
Sandbox?
I feel like the thread for the secrets should be in The Lounge, it doesn't seem appropriate anywhere else. For the Sandbox, did you mean a seperate thread to discuss the secrets? I'm actually against even having such a thread; I'd predict a possibly overall negative feel in the thread, and that'd be rather counter-productive.

KissMe2408
post Feb 24 2007, 05:36 PM
Post #22

Yawn

Member No: 65,772

A discussion thread in the sandbox could be nice,
but I like displaying them somewhere in the Lounge.
[however kaycee has a good point about the thread turning
negative. the NICE thing about post secret, is that you post it
and no one really comments on it or makes fun of you.
It's just there, and you laugh to yourself while sitting on the computer
or reading the book. So maybe a thread really isn't that necessary.
However the ACTUAL post secret thread, should be in the Lounge]

And I think PM'ing them to an active mentor is a good idea like Sammi said.
And if you still don't feel comfortable doing that, i'm sure there is
a way to do this anonymously.

-i wasn't sure but are these going to be actually handmade,
or will there be an option of using photoshop or something?

*I Shot JFK*
post Feb 24 2007, 05:55 PM
Post #23

Actually, having thought about it, it just occured to me that if we WERE to make a shared account, we could always just stick it on indefinite mod preview, and delete anything else which it was used for.

Comptine
post Feb 24 2007, 06:23 PM
Post #24

Sing to Me

wow.

i'm glad everyone loves the idea.

^i meant... wouldn't somone... know if the postcard was PM/Emailed? i have no idea how it works but you usually know who PM you or emailed you?

the shared account, i realized, would not be able to store the secrets for someone to sort through them. i mean, postsecret picks only like twenty a week to showcase. we should widdle out the postcards that don't fit.

*incoherent*
post Feb 24 2007, 06:27 PM
Post #25

the link i provided...you type their email in the to space and then in the from space, you make up an email, but you have to use a registered domain, like yahoo or hotmail. so if its to suzzette, you put suzzette's email in the to and then in the from space just put something like skdjfskjdhfsjkdfk@yahoo.com and thats what it comes up as when they get the email.

on another note, i dont think you're going to get enough weekly that you're going to have to pick and choose the ones you want.

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: