5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
"Designing with the Stars", Take Joe-I-Can't-Design/Code-Crap and make him/her design...
*Duchess of Dork*
post Dec 12 2006, 08:43 AM
Post #1

This came up because I was banging my head against the wall trying to figure out ways to graphically contribute here (other than my silly icons), so I posted the following Backstage and thought I would bring it up here as well to see what folks here in the Community thought of it:
I am so ignorant when it comes to creating a layout. I almost feel that as the only HeadStaff that cannot do this, we should have some type of "Dancing with the Stars" type thing where someone takes a person that can't dance, well, in this case, do a layout, pair with them and at the end of the show they can do a killer layout!

After a little encouragement, ranting continued:
Who knows though, it could be fun to see folks paired up with some of our infamous designers (such as Rachael, Carrie, Kristina (although I know she's very busy right now), Kathleen, Ryan, et al). Could even put up AIM transcriptions of the star designer trying to coach the learner on how to design (if so desired).

Any thoughts? (Oh and sorry for pointing certain super designers out, I know there are more than those, but they are the first to came to mind that morning).

KissMe2408
post Dec 12 2006, 03:45 PM
Post #2

Yawn

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 65,772

This is a great idea actually, One of you hott shots can teach me how to make a layout or vector. lol. Though I guess there'd have to be guidelines on how much the "star" can help out and such...

Gypsy Eyes
post Dec 12 2006, 04:06 PM
Post #3

Member No: 4,051

Aw this is such a good idea

*digital.fragrance*
post Dec 12 2006, 04:16 PM
Post #4

This is a really good idea!

technicolour
post Dec 12 2006, 05:33 PM
Post #5

show me a garden thats bursting to life

Member No: 115,987

Aw man, this is such a cool idea.

I so WISH I could be apart of this. Really. This would be *so* cool.

Mulder
post Dec 12 2006, 06:12 PM
Post #6

i lost weight with Mulder!

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 79,019

that sounds pretty cool? would the "stars" be limited to mods, or what?

anyway, it sounds very entertaining.

*Duchess of Dork*
post Dec 12 2006, 06:16 PM
Post #7

^ Oh DEFINITELY not limited to mods. :)

OhMyAnniee
post Dec 12 2006, 06:17 PM
Post #8

Group: Member
Member No: 4,129

I love this idea! I have no idea how to make layouts.

So would there be more than one pair? Or is it just a "lucky winner" thing?

*mona lisa*
post Dec 12 2006, 06:30 PM
Post #9

No fun in limiting it only to one pair. :) Perhaps there could be some length of time where the "star" helps the "starlette" and then all pairs showcase their layouts in one place (or separate threads, wherever).

Simba
post Dec 12 2006, 06:37 PM
Post #10

Photoartist

Member No: 399,390

I really like this idea, since the person who can't design, will probably be able to make some great stuff by the time this ends. I know I'd like to learn.

*digital.fragrance*
post Dec 12 2006, 07:18 PM
Post #11

How would we teach them? It's hard to do that remotely... and the programs have to be compatible.

*mona lisa*
post Dec 12 2006, 08:17 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(digital.fragrance @ Dec 12 2006, 7:18 PM) *
How would we teach them? It's hard to do that remotely... and the programs have to be compatible.
If this goes through, it'll have to be set up so that both in one pair have the same programs to work with. By teaching, I guess helping them come up with a central idea, colors, navigation, graphics, etc. And helping with the coding since the "stars" shouldn't be doing the work for them. I guess guide them by telling them where to find particular resources, and how/why to modify codes based on what they want to achieve.

QUOTE(Sodapop @ Dec 12 2006, 8:15 PM) *
Is it a "choose your partner" thing or is it randomly chosen by the contest-holder?
Hasn't been decided yet. Feel free to support whichever idea.

*Duchess of Dork*
post Dec 12 2006, 09:16 PM
Post #13

This is very much still in the 'thought' stages. :) So please provide any suggestions and ideas you'd like. ;)

Simba
post Dec 12 2006, 10:31 PM
Post #14

Photoartist

QUOTE(digital.fragrance @ Dec 12 2006, 7:18 PM) *

My first thought was over some kind of messenger, and a lot of file transfers. That'd be kinda rough though, huh.

*digital.fragrance*
post Dec 12 2006, 10:33 PM
Post #15

^ That's what I was thinking. We'd have to be on the compy at the same time to produce the best result...

Simba
post Dec 12 2006, 10:38 PM
Post #16

Photoartist

Right, so you'd have to grab some really active people, or plan it together.

And besides an instant messenger, I guess there's cell phones or Skype.

jumpropeforheart
post Dec 12 2006, 10:57 PM
Post #17

Group: Member
Member No: 416,166

count me in and...

I CALL MIKE!

which i need to talk to you btw

freeflow
post Dec 12 2006, 11:06 PM
Post #18

t-t-t-toyaaa

Group: Official Member
Member No: 11,270

On the partner choosing situation:
Oddly, I think it would be more exciting if the partner wasn't chosen. That way everyone has a partner and no one has to go through the trouble of finding one. Plus I find it to be more exciting that way.

*salcha4u*
post Dec 13 2006, 12:04 AM
Post #19

Yeah, random partners sound good. I'm up :)

Stefanny
post Dec 13 2006, 12:14 AM
Post #20

chinky

Member No: 434,437

AAAH! EEEK! I totally love this idea. I'm definitely in for this.

Oh right, I think it'd be awesome if we got paired up randomly. Only because it's for the fun of it; we get a person we might not know so well & teach them all we know :]

*salcha4u*
post Dec 13 2006, 12:22 AM
Post #21

What about people like me that can only design and do little/limited coding? There's no line to really split down teh middle between designer and non designer.

freeflow
post Dec 13 2006, 12:52 AM
Post #22

t-t-t-toyaaa

A coding part is going to be added? ohmy.gif . That might be a little hard for people. But if a coding part is added:

Well I think that if it happens a list of resources can be added to help you guys out with the coding. Resources as in sites with css stylesheets (if you need it), sites with table tutorials, div tutorials, etc. To make it easy. Or templates can be made. (Without the image ofcourse) with a basic stylesheet and tables , or a basic stylesheet and divs, etc. Different combos.

But I find that part might be a little hard. About the split between no designer and non designer. I think the design should count more over anything. So you guys should atleast be able to split the design in half? or atleast help each other out. Then maybe you guys can discuss how you want it coded (if coding is going to be added as part of the contest.) , and the person that has the most experience could do the majority of the stuff and the person that has limited knowledge can do simple things like css (adding colors etc. Which can be learned pretty easily).

Thats just an Idea if coding has to be done.

*Duchess of Dork*
post Dec 13 2006, 02:19 PM
Post #23

Well coding was actually a big part of the idea. Several decisions would have to be made. One major one of course would be what type of site. My Space? Xanga? Blogger? Etc.

I think if certain stages would be good -

Stage 1 - Concept
This might be where the contestants are given a theme and in this stage they would create a header and/or background.

Stage 2 – Design
This might be where the contestant and the mentor would come up with a site ‘blueprint’, which hopefully, to the luck of the mentor will not be something completely ridiculous to code.

Stage 3 – Code
This I think should be the most team-y effort of all. What might make it easier is to make sure the designs are as simple as possible, and then sort of having the mentor give templates out and the rookie coder will then need to sort of put the pieces (scripts) of the puzzle (site) together.

Again, just some thoughts and please, those with experience tweak this idea especially since this is coming from someone with a considerable lack of coding experience. ;)

Mulder
post Dec 13 2006, 03:13 PM
Post #24

i lost weight with Mulder!

Member No: 79,019

well... would all our layouts follow general guidelines then? I know that some designers like to go...outside the box. During the concept stage, would there be limits to the design, for example, a 2 columned layout?

freeflow
post Dec 13 2006, 06:16 PM
Post #25

t-t-t-toyaaa

^ Maybe per round there can be a diff style. Like 2 column one time and change it differently.

I think it sounds like a great idea. Maybe it can be website coding over xanga, blogger, and myspace.

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: