Closed TopicStart new topic
Vertical weblog posting in Xanga possible?, Is it possible to code the way Xanga displays weblogs? If so, how?
DP_BLUE
post Oct 3 2006, 10:01 PM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No: 469,645

The topic gives it all, don't you think?

Do you think vertical posting in xanga is possible- as in all weblog entries are displayed in an vertical manner (without or withour the scrollbar) as compared to the traditonal horizontal top-to-bottom method?

A good reference to this would be paopuu's Shirayume. Bleach Xanga layout:

http://www.createblog.com/layouts/preview.php?id=9022

But the aim is to place the entries side-by-side, not compacted into one small "window".

Any Ideas? I'm terribly bad at coding and in dire need of an original layout for my Xanga.

Codes are greatly welcomed :)

Cheers,

Hilda

*digital.fragrance*
post Oct 3 2006, 10:20 PM
Post #2

Wow - that's an interesting idea.

I'm not sure, but my gut reaction is no. You see, the blog itself is controlled with one CSS element - table.blogbody - unless there is an attribute that I'm not aware of, I don't think there is a way to make them side-by-side.

Man, I hope someone could figure this out - it'd be awesome!

BonneVache
post Oct 4 2006, 04:25 PM
Post #3

Good Cow.

Member No: 449,486

You've got it mixed up. Vertical is up and down. Horizontal is left to right.

What you would want would be Horizontal positioning (side by side).

I don't think its possible, unless there is a way to target each individual post in CSS. Then you could tell them all to float and they'd line up next to each other.

If anyone could get this to work I'd be really impressed.

talcumpowder
post Oct 4 2006, 07:25 PM
Post #4

You'll find me in your dreams.

Group: Official Member
Member No: 114,010

.... Well, logically, you'd tell them to float (as BonneVache mentioned). Or, since xanga is mostly tables, you'd assume that they were all in seperate table cells, which would nicely float next to each other.

Problem being this:
Your weblog is contain in a one table cell (td) named maincenter (bet ya didn't know that!). Nested within that is a div.blogheader (being why you need to define both the date-width and the blog-width) and a table.blogbody.

They don't float nicely with each other. You can, however, get the dates to float nicely by the entries! Yeah. This is what I came up with. I also tried just floating the blogbody by itself and floating, along with the cell it was contained in.

It was fun to try though. I wonder if you could use Javescript to rewrite the tables... Hm. Sounds sort of impossible, but then again I nearly failed the Javascript portion of my Webdesign class.

DP_BLUE
post Oct 8 2006, 09:06 PM
Post #5

Member No: 469,645

Re:BonneVache

Silly Me, Hmmm... thx~

Re: Fishcake-y

Does that mean a script has to written to modify each individual entry?
T^T..BTW, what does it mean by floating the date entries- I checked your link and didn't see anything different (I'm terribly bad at those spot-the-difference-games too)..?

Sighs.. Another great Idea by me gets killed by the limitations of xanga, lol...ha

Cheers,

Hilda

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: