Closed TopicStart new topic
i need to make tree roots, photoshop/illustrator
brooklyneast05
post Sep 18 2008, 02:57 PM
Post #1

I'm Jc

Group: Mentor
Member No: 437,556

uhhhh i don't really know what section to post this in, so i'm gonna post this here.

if you were wanting to make tree roots, how would you go about that? this is a really really general question, i'm mostly just wanting people's opinions on how they personally would go about making tree roots. i need to put some under the buildings in this picture.

i'm working with photoshop and illustrator, so you can give advice in either of those.

i duno, i don't really have any specifics at all. my professor keeps telling me to draw the roots how i want them on paper and scan the drawing in and do some junk with it, but i don't really get what he's talking about. he will never give me another option for how to make roots either.

i needa make roots from scratch, sorry if this is confusing as hell.

manny-the-dino
post Sep 18 2008, 04:39 PM
Post #2

Group: Administrator
Member No: 498,468

You could probably use the Pen Tool or use a brush if you're allowed to. Not sure if these tutorials will help but it's worth a shot.
http://idesignthis.com/all_tutorials/photo...ter_effect.html
http://www.funphotoart.com/drawings/create...oshop#more-1520

brooklyneast05
post Sep 18 2008, 05:15 PM
Post #3

I'm Jc

yeah i think we can use whatever. i guess i could use a brush...but i felt like i needed to do something more.

i thought about the pen tool also. i might still do that even though i think i'm gonna have a hard time drawing with that.

i'll check out those links.

anzbex
post Sep 18 2008, 05:28 PM
Post #4

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 626,536

I reckon if you decide not to use brushes or filters ,do what your professor suggested ...draw tree roots ,use your city(copy) image as a guide.Then when you have the tree roots as you like scan it into the computer ,open in photoshop & with the pen tool trace the tree roots you have drawn & create a brush with them.Then you can just apply it to your original image!! This is what i think your professor is trying to suggest.

brooklyneast05
post Sep 18 2008, 05:31 PM
Post #5

I'm Jc

QUOTE(anzbex @ Sep 18 2008, 05:28 PM) *
I reckon if you decide not to use brushes or filters ,do what your professor suggested ...draw tree roots ,use your city(copy) image as a guide.Then when you have the tree roots as you like scan it into the computer ,open in photoshop & with the pen tool trace the tree roots you have drawn & create a brush with them.Then you can just apply it to your original image!! This is what i think your professor is trying to suggest.

that makes a lot more sense to me than anything he's been saying, he's always so vague. "just draw it and scan it"

using the pen tool like that would be a lot easier than trying to just straight up draw what i want.

anzbex
post Sep 18 2008, 05:35 PM
Post #6

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 626,536

Yeah hope it helps you.Be more forceful with your professor & ask him to be more clear.After all that is his job to teach & make it understood for everybody wink.gif

Melissa
post Sep 19 2008, 01:59 PM
Post #7

;)

Group: Duplicate
Member No: 3,760

I think the easiest way would be to do what your professor says - Draw what you imagine the tree roots to look like on paper, then scan it into your computer and resize it to match your image.

After that, you can try taking the pen tool in illustrator and vectoring over what you've drawn.

Hm.

brooklyneast05
post Sep 19 2008, 02:05 PM
Post #8

I'm Jc

yeah maybe i'll do that. i also want to weave? the roots in and out of some text, which i want to say "urban roots" since that's the theme i'm working with. i guess i could just draw the text into the roots. hmmmm

Blaqheartedstar
post Sep 19 2008, 03:01 PM
Post #9

Two can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 156,187

brushes of trees can do the trick, put them upside down so the branches become the roots
bare tree brushes do the trick.

Insurmountable
post Sep 22 2008, 11:39 AM
Post #10

Cornflakes :D

Member No: 322,923

Personally I would just use the pen tool, but I mean what your professor is saying isn't a bad idea. Most artist do this, just draw how you want them on paper, scan them and then add them on and use the pen tool over the drawing. Just make sure to max the resolution to like 300 when you scan it.

brooklyneast05
post Sep 22 2008, 12:19 PM
Post #11

I'm Jc

yeah i've decided that's what i'm gonna do. i'm just gonna draw it out the way i want it and scan it.

thanks everyone.

schizo
post Sep 22 2008, 03:41 PM
Post #12

Member No: 506,205

I'm guessing this can be closed, then? Let me know if it needs to be reopened.

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: