Resource Center Links

This Month's Contests | Hosts Looking for Hostees | Hostees looking for Hosts | Big Book of Resources

Submission Guidelines

Reply to this topicStart new topic
a good read for designers/artists/creatives/etc, incomplete manifesto for growth
brooklyneast05
post Feb 18 2010, 05:47 PM
Post #1

I'm Jc

Group: Mentor
Member No: 437,556

inspiration, advice for how to grow as an artist, food for thought, etc

incomplete manifesto for growth

http://www.brucemaudesign.com/#112942

creole
post Feb 20 2010, 05:31 PM
Post #2

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 676,364

GMH. ;)

brooklyneast05
post Feb 20 2010, 05:38 PM
Post #3

I'm Jc

Group: Mentor
Member No: 437,556

i don't even know what that means

creole
post Feb 20 2010, 05:44 PM
Post #4

Explanation.

site you provided GMH

creole
post Feb 20 2010, 06:29 PM
Post #5

what i did not realize that, LOL.

Mikeplyts
post Feb 21 2010, 10:06 PM
Post #6

Mel Blanc was allergic to carrots.

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 676,291

Wow, his ideas are very... helpful. They seem to focus on many of the uncommon topics that are always adrift. I really like how he talks about growth, though. The growth parts (I specifically like #42) give insight on how many amateur designers (or should I say, suckish designers) should begin their "journey" into design. I personally believe that if these novice designers want to get better, they should start to "think outside the box" because that's what Bruce Mau seems to do. I looked a little more into him and found out he's actually worked with Frank Gehry, which is very impressive. Designers like him are like my role models, haha. Bruce Mau, and designers that seem to be have been built on the same type of beliefs and foundations as him, know that there are certain principles you have to apply to design, or art in general, for it to be considered art (in my opinion). If I see some tacky, lime green and bright pink, poorly structured, inconsistent, busy, and nasty design, I'll know that the designer didn't give a flying f*ck about the design and didn't want to put effort and time into it because what they initially wanted is more popularity, credit, and reputation as a designer. I think a true designer, like Bruce Mau, should take their time and care more about the aspects of the design and it's influence instead of it's possible outcome of criticism, reputation, and the like of the design and/or it's designer.

I'm not sure if I exactly said what I wanted to say, but there you have it. I'll be sure to take a look at this tips (or better yet, instructions) every once in a while. Great find, JC, great find. biggrin.gif

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: