Debate Rules

Here are the general forum rules that you must follow before you start any debate topics. Please make sure you've read and followed all directions.

Debate.

12 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
What's Wrong With Rap?
sillakilla220
post Mar 19 2006, 06:21 PM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No: 381,654

ok... first lets get all the cliche`s out the way....

- too much violence
- disrespects women
-cusses too much
- videos have too much ass-shaking

but this doesnt apply to all rap so im just wondering - what do ppl really have against rap music?

*Blow_Don't_SUCK*
post Mar 19 2006, 06:32 PM
Post #2

Well most people are against rapping because of vulgarity but there are lot of other genres with "deep" meanings. mellow.gif

I am against rap because I don't find it....entertaining. I loathe it and I don't think of it as much, more like...people talking with a melody/rythm in the background.

sillakilla220
post Mar 19 2006, 06:45 PM
Post #3

so then you are against mainstream rap? rap as a whole covers many forms... gangsta, underground, poetic, pop, south, chopped and screwed, lyrical... i just think lots of ppl talk shit regardin rap cuz they only talk about the shit thats on the radio which is pretty stupid cuz i dont even like that shit

*Blow_Don't_SUCK*
post Mar 19 2006, 07:17 PM
Post #4

^I've heard underground too and I don't like it. Just not my taste...

sillakilla220
post Mar 19 2006, 07:28 PM
Post #5

i like music with girls who are hot in videos

*Blow_Don't_SUCK*
post Mar 19 2006, 07:33 PM
Post #6

^Really? Avenged Sevenfold isn't a rap band and they have girls stripping in their videos. I don't know why you don't like them, after that statement.

sillakilla220
post Mar 19 2006, 07:36 PM
Post #7

when have i said i didnt like avenged sevenfold blink.gif

*Blow_Don't_SUCK*
post Mar 19 2006, 07:39 PM
Post #8

Oh so you like Avenged Sevenfold eh? From your post it sounded like you stereotyped rap artists to have strippers in every video. I just wanted to make sure you knew about those other rock bands who have strippers....per say can you name others?

sillakilla220
post Mar 19 2006, 07:51 PM
Post #9

why would i stereotype rap artists when that is so false its ridiculous to even think that you would believe i had that idea rolleyes.gif

radhikaeatsraman
post Mar 19 2006, 10:03 PM
Post #10

oooh yeah.

Member No: 376,533

The reason people don't like rap is because people don't understand the culture that it's derived from. The fact is, mainstream rap is what most people hear, though it's a false representation of what hip-hop is really all about. If millions of people are watching a 50 Cent video with a ton of girls shaking their asses and degrading themselves while 50 talks about shooting a place up, that's not exactly going to make people say, "Hey, maybe there's better rap out there!"

The reason it's being represented poorly is because most people making these rap records don't understand the culture themselves. (Read: Old white guys rule the world.) 50 Cent's a former drug dealer. Never was he an aspiring MC. (Though it's just one example, most mainstream artists did aspire to be MCs before they made it big.)

*chaneun*
post Mar 19 2006, 10:26 PM
Post #11

Well, you definately disrespect woman. You use profanity too much. You seem interested in "ass shaking." Are you rap?

nothing_plus_thi...
post Mar 20 2006, 09:56 AM
Post #12

revolution + desire

Member No: 284,328

i like rap.

but, not the "newer" stuff. it's too...too....i dunno. i just can't get used to the newer artists. they annoy me.

or the real "old skool" stuff. i respect it. but, it's ... too cheesy? for me.

i like tupac, bone thugs, outkast (ATLiens era), fugees, puff daddy & bad boy artists (when he was still puff daddy -- he and mase made me happy), etc.

and i can also stand to listen to some of the GOOD underground rap that's being put out today.

so. i don't have anything against rap besides being annoyed by specific artists. yeah, it's vulgar. yeah, it degrades women. but, there is talent there. if you sort through all the bullshit, there's some really talented writers and whatnot. and besides, it's fun to listen to. aha. :]

EddieV
post Mar 20 2006, 12:59 PM
Post #13

cB Assassin

Group: Official Member
Member No: 7,672

I'm just going to put my 2 Cents. Every type of music has their ups and downs. So you can't just stereotype one genre. When rock was first introduced, there was much controversy with rock music just as well as rap music. Pop music had it's era as controversy as well. (Britney Spears)

sadolakced acid
post Mar 20 2006, 02:02 PM
Post #14

dripping destruction

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 21,929

personal preference.

yea, my friend once told you "you just hate black people music, don't you"

because i don't like hip hop or R and B or anything like that.

why? i think it sucks. i'm allowed to, right.

*CrackedRearView*
post Mar 20 2006, 04:02 PM
Post #15

The only thing wrong with rap is that it's a genre of music. People could say that's what's wrong with alternative rock, punk rock, country music, etc, etc. They're genres -- not everyone is going to like every genre.

cheerbee07
post Mar 20 2006, 04:10 PM
Post #16

Break My Heart Again.

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 198,983

QUOTE(CrackedRearView @ Mar 20 2006, 4:02 PM) *
The only thing wrong with rap is that it's a genre of music. People could say that's what's wrong with alternative rock, punk rock, country music, etc, etc. They're genres -- not everyone is going to like every genre.

well said.
personally, i don't like [most but not all] rap because a lot of it sounds like other rap songs.
there are some catchy rap songs though, and i do admit to listening to it while around my friends (because some of them really like it). it's not like i actively hunt down rap though...just a personal preference i suppose.

*mipadi*
post Mar 20 2006, 04:12 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(cheerbee07 @ Mar 20 2006, 4:10 PM) *
well said.
personally, i don't like [most but not all] rap because a lot of it sounds like other rap songs.

As if most of the songs in pop, rock, and country sound completely different from one another. wink.gif

sadolakced acid
post Mar 20 2006, 08:40 PM
Post #18

dripping destruction

well, rock has sub-genres. ska, punk-rock, heavy metal, emo, etc.

does rap have these? gangsta, oldschool?

radhikaeatsraman
post Mar 20 2006, 09:30 PM
Post #19

oooh yeah.

Member No: 376,533

QUOTE(sadolakced acid @ Mar 20 2006, 7:40 PM) *
well, rock has sub-genres. ska, punk-rock, heavy metal, emo, etc.

does rap have these? gangsta, oldschool?

Of course. There's tons of different subgenres of hip-hop.

sadolakced acid
post Mar 21 2006, 01:59 AM
Post #20

dripping destruction

but i thought we were talking about rap

sillakilla220
post Mar 21 2006, 02:09 AM
Post #21

QUOTE(sadolakced acid @ Mar 20 2006, 10:59 PM) *
but i thought we were talking about rap

rap and hip hop are interchangeable depending on who is talking

Paradox of Life
post Mar 21 2006, 12:39 PM
Post #22

My name's Katt. Nice to meet you!

Member No: 93,674

QUOTE(sillakilla220 @ Mar 21 2006, 1:09 AM) *
rap and hip hop are interchangeable depending on who is talking

I thought rap was a subgenre of hip-hop... Hip-hop covers reggae and R&B and stuff like that, right? Well, I don't think this is a very good debate because rap is just a genre of music. People have preferences about music and a lot of people just don't like rap and don't find it entertaining.

hi-C
post Mar 21 2006, 12:55 PM
Post #23

Amberific.

Member No: 29,772

In my opinion, hip-hop is the culture and rapping is an element of it, but as sillakilla said, the two are used interchangably to refer to the music.

*disco infiltrator*
post Mar 21 2006, 04:27 PM
Post #24

No one thinks there's something "wrong" with all rap; people just don't like it. It's simple.

IceCream4U
post Mar 21 2006, 06:07 PM
Post #25

victim of myspace.com

Member No: 386,435

there are some catchy rap songs though, and i do admit to listening to it while around my friends (because some of them really like it). it's not like i actively hunt down rap though...just a personal preference i suppose.

Yeah, its very much the same for me.
All of my life before I went to middle school, I listened to country. It was country, country, and more country. Whenever my friends would be singing a rap/hip hop song, I would be really embarassed because I only knew like two or three words. Then I decided that I should look up the lyrics and just listen to the songs over and over again, and now I absolutely love rap and hip hop.

Actually, I think I like hip hop better. I LOVE LOVE LOVVVE rap, the only problem is that I wanna sing it, but I can't!! Haha, just the words are comin` and goin` too fast!! Mainly I like the type of rap that isn't really gangsterish, except for some songs like Soul Survivor. My favorite rap songs:

Grillz
Run It
Hotel
I'm in Luv with a Stripper

And those are just a couple. But mainly, I think hip-hop is a lot better, no gangstas in that genre happy.gif

12 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: