Closed TopicStart new topic
createBlog Newspaper Application.
*Azarel*
post Aug 6 2005, 04:46 AM
Post #1

Um. This should've been up a while ago, but we're lazy kids. Sorry.

-----

If you do not feel comfortable posting up your application in public, please PM your application to one of our newspaper advisors (uninspiredfae & MarchHare2UrAlice) or to the news account (cBNewsStaff); our editors will review your application together. Please do not submit an application more than once, as we are looking at them - we will get back to you through either AIM or PM if you are hired; if not, we may not reply. Apologies. Do not post in this thread if you are not applying. Thanks for showing interest in cBn.

6 August 2005: cBn is currently not looking for editors, but feel free to apply anyway, as we may look at your editor's application at a later date.

20 August 2005: If we feel your application shows promise but is subpar, we may hire you as an intern. As an intern, you will participate by asking questions and posting your own articles while staff members answer, advise, and guide you on your way to becoming a full staff member!

21 August 2005: Editorial positions once again opened.

-----

CreateBlog Newspaper Staff Application
All required fields are underlined. If it’s not… we’re probably just curious.
Name:
Positions Interested In:
If more than one, please rank from 1 (most interested) to 4 (least interested).
_Editor: Revises submitted articles for accuracy, spelling, grammar, and appropriateness.
_Reporter: Finds topics and writes articles on a monthly basis.
_Freelancer: Finds topics and writes articles on occasion; must check in every month to ensure no inactivity.
_Runner: Finds graphics to serve as visuals in various articles by reporters. Also, on occasion, finds humorous photos and writings and provides captions when necessary. Must give credit sources.
xColumnist: Any combination of positions mentioned above; must join cBn under an aforementioned position before being promoted.

Experience:
Please indicate experience – if any, please specify. Remember, your application does not depend upon experience.

Letter of Intent
Why are you interested in becoming a staff member? What makes you deserve this position? What can you bring to the team? If you are considering more than one position, please write a separate letter for each one and specify.

Editor Application
Are you really editor material? Accept or reject these topics, and explain why.
Find the flaws and correct them.
Be supportive of the writer/author.
Contribute ideas instead of just throwing out criticism.
Help the author develop content that will appeal to the audience.
Oversee the layout of each "paper."
Prepare, rewrite and edit copy to improve readability, or supervise others who do this work.

Also, if you are applying for an editorial position, please PM the following mock "article," revised, to one of our news administrators (uninspiredfae or MarchHare2UrAlice) or to the cBNewsStaff account. Please also include a list of the revisions you made to the piece.

If your searching for the perfect xmas gift for any of your frends you shouldn't loose any time in your search cuz if u put off you're christmas shopping until last minute yu may end up waking up on the wensday b4 xmas in a panick thinking bout how you should of started plannin erlier a lack of tyme'll effect how prefect ur gift for you're friend is so dont delay. the easiest thing to do is to visit any on line sight like ebay were you can brows a large selecion for pressent ideas,,, how ever if you our short on cash you kan save munny bye investing yur time in to a home made persent. the importantest thing in the search thought is that whateva your prsent is make shure its from the hart.

Reporter/Freelancer Application
Are you really reporter material? Write a short (quarter page to half page OR 6-8 sentences) story on a topic of your choice on your own. If necessary, find a graphic to go along with the story. Include a title. Give credit for optional graphic. Plagiarizing is looked down upon, and applicants caught doing so will automatically be rejected.

Runner's Application
Are you really runner material? Find at least two intriguing/inspiring photos (NOT from funnysomething.com) and at least two humorous quotes/jokes. They need not match. Write a caption if necessary. Give credit.

Example of humorous bit:
Mortified doesn’t describe how Jane’s parents felt after meeting her boyfriend. He sported vile tattoos, swore, and just had a hostile air about him.
After he left, the mother said, “Dear, he doesn’t seem like a very nice person.”
“Mom,” Jane said, “if he wasn’t very nice, why would he be doing 500 hours of community service?” -American Legion Magazine

kill.t3h.r0cK
post Aug 6 2005, 06:39 AM
Post #2

Ms. I Can't Tell Pants From Math

Group: Member
Member No: 191,034

Createblog Newspaper Staff Application

All required fields are bolded. If it’s not… we’re probably just curious.
Name: Pam

Mark Position Interested In:
If more than one, please rank from 1 (most interested) to 3 (least interested).
_Editor: Looks over submitted articles for accuracy, spelling, grammar, and appropriateness.
*Reporter: Finds topics and writes articles. Will occasionally find graphics in order to add visuals to a story. Must give credit for graphics.
_Runner: Finds photos and humorous writings. Will write captions when necessary. Must give credit.

Indicate experience – if any, please specify.
I haven't had much experience w/ newspapers until last year, actually. I joined my school's newspaper as a reporter, I quickly dropped out, I thought I'd go back when my school actually had news to offer to its students. As of 4th grade I got heavily into writing, 5th grade gave me a chance to improve them as I was greeted w/ a new level in English. Fast forward several years && I'm about to re-enter the school year w/ an advanced course in English. Not much experience on newspapers, I know, but I'm a determined writer, and--yes, I noticed I use "&&" English, or Language Arts, has always been my strongest area in academics, I do anything I can to make use of them, improve them, && have fun while doing so. I'm not a complete geek--ok, fine, I'll admit, I'm quite the nerd. shifty.gif

Letter of Intent
Why are you interested in becoming a staff member?
I had joined my school's newspaper before, it was slow paced && what they were doing just wasn't interesting to me. I could care less which teachers are new to the staff, but this is Createblog && I feel quite differently about it than schol. I thought being able to practice my writing skills && really put them up for more challenges would be a great way to contribute to CB, hey, I'm helping Cb && having fun, right? I love to write && it has always flowed naturally to me, more natural than algebra, that's for sure. This whole impression to me is a euphoric && amazing oppurtunity to get to know Cb && its Cbers to a higher extent.

What makes you deserve this position?
I've always felt that writing came easily to me && I would never have to struggle in it, not unless I wanted to hone my skills. I also enjoy writing, so that's just another bonus for me. I've practiced much writing over the years, from persuasive essays to just entertaining short stories, I'm quite adaptable if the situation calls for such.

What can you bring to the team?
I can bring a wide variety of new concepts to contribute to the team's ever budding collection of ideas already. I'm not here just to have fun, I'm glad to help out anyone else whatever job it might be. Social, crazy, && never dull, those are just a few traits I carry. There will never be a single dull moment when for any of us with all the wonderful minds and personalities that are brought together. I hope to make everyone's experience working with me pleasureable && easy.

If you are considering more than one position, please write a separate letter for each one and specify.

Editor Applicant’s “Audition” Are you really editor material? Accept or reject these topics:
Be supportive of the writer/author
Contribute ideas instead of just throwing out criticism
Help the author develop content that will appeal to the audience
Oversee the layout of each "paper"
Prepare, rewrite and edit copy to improve readability, or supervise others who do this work

Reporter Applicant’s “Audition” Are you really reporter material? Write a short (quarter page to half page OR 6-8 sentences) story on a topic of your choice. If necessary, find a graphic to go along with the story. Include a title. Give credit for optional graphic.

Runner Applicant’s “Audition” Are you really runner material? Find at least two intriguing/inspiring photos (NOT from funnysomething.com) and at least two humorous quotes/jokes. They need not match. Write a caption if necessary. Give credit.

Example of humorous bit:
Mortified doesn’t describe how Jane’s parents felt after meeting her boyfriend. He sported vile tattoos, swore, and just had a hostile air about him.
After he left, the mother said, “Dear, he doesn’t seem like a very nice person.”
“Mom,” Jane said, “if he wasn’t very nice, why would he be doing 500 hours of community service?” American Legion Magazine

Changes are Ready to Be Made

Our whole existence we have strived to create equality for ourselves and future generations in the U.S, but still homosexuals of both genders are discriminated and harassed because of their sexual orientation. I for one am all for homosexual relationships and think gays and lesbians should receive more rights. I believe it’s cruel when others discriminate against people because of their sexual orientation or anything else for that matter. We should attempt to tolerate others. Enough time has passed, and I know changes are ready to be made.

I understand completely why others may frown upon homosexuality, but being U.S citizens we have a right to express ourselves. I have compiled facts to increase your knowledge on this issue. In several states, lawyers are battling to legalize marriage for homosexual couples. New Jersey, New York, and California are just a few. A judge has recently turned down the request to ban same sex marriages, but the case is to be reviewed by a higher judge. Obviously, a change is already underway.

Over the years, different states have legalized laws for the protection of gays and lesbians. The GLSEN [Gay Lesbian Student Education Network] is a network that aims in educating the youth about homosexuality. One decade ago there were few groups of GSA’s [Gay Straight Alliances] set up in schools, and the public didn’t really care about the situation. Now there are about 3,000 GSA’s set up in high schools, and homosexuality is a growing concern and issue. It’s great to know so many others feel strongly about this issue and find a need to educate the country.

It’s quite outrageous what some might do to homosexuals just because of who they are. An insurance company no longer was to insure a couple because they were lesbians. Now the couple is pressing charges against the company. Luckily, in many states there are anti-discrimination laws in which gives protection to gays and lesbians. Yet, that still may not stop teens from harassing their homosexual peers, and it is sometimes even worse in some cases if the person is of a different race or religion. If we continue to have groups and individuals who are to stand up for gay and lesbian rights we could help prevent such ignorant actions.

In conclusion, if society is walking the path to social acceptance and tolerance we may have a brighter future and gain more rights for gays and lesbians. Of course, this is a very controversial topic. Some religious groups may disagree strongly with homosexuality because it’s not approved of, but we are not governed by religious laws so we are free to love who we choose, even if they differ from us. To be denied marriage to the one you love and make commitments to because you are in a a non heterosexual relationship does not mean their relationship lack any qualities of a heterosexual couple. I had read in an article that the reason some religions had disapproved of homosexuality because the marriage could not produce offspring. To me, it would not matter what race, gender, or religion the person was because in the end, love is love.

I was on quite a roll, sorry I think it might be longer than a page. sad.gif *I will edit this later if needed, it's pretty early && I've gotta head over to the other half of Jersey today, later. && thanks for having the time to read my application. happy.gif

*Weird addiction*
post Aug 6 2005, 10:16 AM
Post #3

bump.

I just feel people need to see this...

*tweeak*
post Aug 6 2005, 10:24 AM
Post #4

[james] thank you sandra, but its all good for now... we dont need THAT many new staff members, and i for one dont want to read THAT% many apps. just a couple of good ones is fine [/james]

lbjshaq2345
post Aug 6 2005, 04:22 PM
Post #5

Lil JC

Member No: 145,741

Name:Austin Henry
Position Interested In:Runner
Experience:Been finding humorous things online since i was 8.
Letter Of Intent:
I think I could bring interesting photos & captions to cBn. I am constantly finding new things from various sites and if i am unable to find what is asked for i could easily make it in gimpshop.
Runner's Application:

Humorous
When life gives you lemons, find someone who's life has given them vodka, and have a party.

Inspiring
Live each day as if it's your last, because one day it will be.

iiTsDAYNA
post Aug 9 2005, 11:28 PM
Post #6

My peanut.

Member No: 187,456

cBn is currently not looking for editors (as of 6 August 2005), but feel free to apply anyway, as we may look at your editor's application at a later date. If you do not feel comfortable posting up your application in public, please PM your application to one of our newspaper advisors (uninspiredfae & MarchHare2UrAlice); our editors will review your application together. Please do not submit an application more than once, as we are looking at them - we will get back to you through either AIM or PM if you are hired; if not, we may not reply. Apologies. Do not post in this thread if you are not applying. Thanks for showing interest in cBn.

-----

Name: Dayna

Positions Interested In:
If more than one, please rank from 1 (most interested) to 3 (least interested).
1 _Editor: Revises submitted articles for accuracy, spelling, grammar, and appropriateness.
3 _Reporter: Finds topics and writes articles on a monthly basis.
3 _Freelancer: Finds topics and writes articles on occasion; must check in every month to ensure no inactivity.
3 _Runner: Finds graphics to serve as visuals in various articles by reporters. Also, on occasion, finds humorous photos and writings and provides captions when necessary. Must give credit sources.
3_Columnist: Any combination of positions mentioned above; must join cBn under an aforementioned position before being promoted.

Experience:
I used to work for my schools newspaper as head editor.

Letter of Intent
I am interested in becoming a staff member because I used to be the head editor of my newspaper. I think I deserve this position because I work really hard for my goals. I can bring execellent editing. I am very dedicated and I will make sure my work is 101%!

Editor Application
Find the flaws and correct them. Accept. Of course, because as editor your supposed to be correcting the grammar, and finding the flaws withing the column to make the writing as presentable as possible..

Be supportive of the writer/author. Accept. Everyone should be supportive. If the writer/author made mistakes you should support them and help them do better next time. Join your ideas together, to make the paper 2x better.

Contribute ideas instead of just throwing out criticism. Accept. Voicing your oppinion is very important. It could help make the paper better.

Help the author develop content that will appeal to the audience. You should throw out all of the irrevelant material and give them content that will catch the readers eye.

Oversee the layout of each "paper." Accept: You should look over it and make sure it will catch the eye of the reader. A untidy layout can change how the audience reads the paper.

Prepare, rewrite and edit copy to improve readability, or supervise others who do this work. Accept: This is a main job for a editor. As being part of the editing crew your job is to improve the readibility.

*xcaitlinx*
post Aug 9 2005, 11:43 PM
Post #7

Name: Caitlin

I would like to apply for the editor position even though you are not hiring at the moment.

Experience:
For two years, i was on the yearbook commitee for our school. my job was to make sure that all the content was well-written, grammatically correct, and to make sure that all of the names in the yearbook were spelled correctly. I was also in the school spelling bee a couple of times. This shows that I am a good speller.

Letter of Intent
I'm interested in becoming a staff member because I am very good at editing work. English is one of my favorite subjects and I always get asked to help students in my class with their work if they're having trouble. If you chose me to be an editor, I would be a dedicated staff member and always give 100% in whatever I'm doing.

Editor Application
Find the flaws and correct them. accept, of course. if you're revising/editing a piece of work, you always want to make sure it's the most presentable it can be.
Be supportive of the writer/author. Accept. If you find flaws that the author believes are not flaws, join together ideas and find out ways to make the author satisfied.
Contribute ideas instead of just throwing out criticism. Accept. You should always voice your opinion no matter what, but there's a right way and a wrong way to do so.
Help the author develop content that will appeal to the audience. Accept. As an editor, you should always make sure that the audience will like and understand the writing piece.
Oversee the layout of each "paper." Accept. A simple layout that isn't up to par can completely change how someone views the paper.
Prepare, rewrite and edit copy to improve readability, or supervise others who do this work. Accept. This is one of the main jobs that an editor must do in order to do a good job.

sadolakced acid
post Aug 12 2005, 10:47 PM
Post #8

dripping destruction

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 21,929

bump.

cBNewsStaff
post Aug 21 2005, 07:38 PM
Post #9

elite news source

Member No: 153,374

Editorial positions have once again opened.

Please take note of the addition to the editor's application.

Also, if you are applying for an editorial position, please PM the following mock "article," revised, to one of our news administrators (uninspiredfae or MarchHare2UrAlice) or to the cBNewsStaff account. Please also include a list of the revisions you made to the piece.

If your searching for the perfect xmas gift for any of your frends you shouldn't loose any time in your search cuz if u put off you're christmas shopping until last minute yu may end up waking up on the wensday b4 xmas in a panick thinking bout how you should of started plannin erlier a lack of tyme'll effect how prefect ur gift for you're friend is so dont delay. the easiest thing to do is to visit any on line sight like ebay were you can brows a large selecion for pressent ideas,,, how ever if you our short on cash you kan save munny bye investing yur time in to a home made persent. the importantest thing in the search thought is that whateva your prsent is make shure its from the hart.

Ington
post Sep 3 2005, 04:28 PM
Post #10

Member No: 17,125

Name:
Ariel (the almighty superior) Elyahu

Positions Interested In:

_Editor: Revises submitted articles for accuracy, spelling, grammar, and appropriateness.
_Reporter: Finds topics and writes articles on a monthly basis.
XFreelancer: Finds topics and writes articles on occasion; must check in every month to ensure no inactivity.
_Runner: Finds graphics to serve as visuals in various articles by reporters. Also, on occasion, finds humorous photos and writings and provides captions when necessary. Must give credit sources.
xColumnist: Any combination of positions mentioned above; must join cBn under an aforementioned position before being promoted.

Experience:
Experience. Well, lets see. In elementary school, I started to write articles for my own newspaper, but it soon went out of business. The other third graders didn't have enough patience to join the paper or read it. Sure, this doesn't show much glory, but it shows that I have always been thinking and writing those thoughts down. I have an extreme fascination with philosophy, and I show this in my xanga. While most ordinary xanga posts retain to "i'm bored. byez", I use my xanga to write. I write about the problems in the world and the its virtues. I write about life, its meaning, and fundamentals.

Letter of Intent

I know I will be good for the Createblog Newspaper. How could I possibly know? I know this because I know I am a good writer. I am extremely opinionated, as most of you already know, and thus none of my articles will ever be boring or pointless. I get embarrassed if I write anything short of wonderful. Also, if no one has noticed, I use correct grammar, punctuation, and spelling. I won't be a liability to the newspaper, but an asset.

Reporter/Freelancer Application
Ah, modern day celebrities. We love to watch them on our favorite TV shows and movies. But is it possible that the celebrities we know and love are causing harm in the young society of America?

Of course not. Celebrities are godlike beings, experienced in all areas of any profession, whether it is that of a politician or a critic. Their opinion should always be heard and thoroughly considered.

That, my friends, would seem like the exact opposite of logical. Celebrities are just ordinary people, doing their jobs. A plumber may have the same amount of talent as, lets say, Charlie Sheen, but in a different profession. The words of celebrities shouldn’t matter any more than a normal person’s. Right?

You’re right. They shouldn’t. But they do. Celebrities use their popularity to spread their beliefs, and literally brainwash the common adolescent mind. Just look around you. In every stationary store, you will find at least ten magazines devoted only to celebrities. Everything celebrities say or do gets recorded in these pit-traps for humanity, and people read them. They get addicted to them. They have to know more about why the government is Satan; more about why Bush should burn. They get addicted to the mindless hate-America babble spewed out by the media, simply because they believe the celebrities to act as their characters in reality. And nothing will stop them from believing that.

"Sometimes I'll be walking down the street and I'll hear some American and I'll just go, 'Of course they hate us, of course they can't stand usWe're the most annoying, boisterous creatures in the world.' I mean we come in and we eat mounds of food, and we're like, 'Where's the ketchup for our French fries?' I'm like, 'Shut up.'"
Renowned Political Critic Kate Hudson
on filming the movie 'Le Divorce' in Paris

The face of America lies in the 90210 zip-code. Botox-less.

Please forgive me, for I have gone over half a page. What can I say, I was on a roll. Perhaps I’ll elaborate on it in the next issue of cBn. ;D

racoons > you
post Sep 3 2005, 04:40 PM
Post #11

Another ditch in the road... you keep moving

Member No: 85,152

*nevermind*

*incoherent*
post Sep 15 2005, 07:52 PM
Post #12

i think i have done this before, but i guess the topic got remade...

h/o let me search for it so i can get my application and if not, then ill just redo it.

edit://
Name: Spencer

Positions Interested In:
xEditor: Revises submitted articles for accuracy, spelling, grammar, and appropriateness.
Reporter: Finds topics and writes articles on a monthly basis.
Freelancer: Finds topics and writes articles on occasion; must check in every month to ensure no inactivity.
Runner: Finds graphics to serve as visuals in various articles by reporters. Also, on occasion, finds humorous photos and writings and provides captions when necessary. Must give credit sources.
Columnist: Any combination of positions mentioned above; must join cBn under an aforementioned position before being promoted.

Experience:

-Intro to Journalism 8th grade year and sophomore year. Also having some of my storied published randomly in the school newspaper and the local newspaper.

Letter of Intent
I've always been interested in writing for a newspaper and editing mistakes that are made. I feel I deserve the postition because I have time to spare aside from homework and other things to devote to the paper and make sure it's running on time. What can I personally bring to the team? Well, for one, timeliness. I always seem to have things done on time, if not before it is actually do. I also feel I'll be able to contribute a helping hand in making this run efficiently.

Editor Application
Be supportive of the writer/author. accept
Contribute ideas instead of just throwing out criticism. acceptt
Help the author develop content that will appeal to the audience. accept
Oversee the layout of each "paper." accept
Prepare, rewrite and edit copy to improve readability, or supervise others who do this work. accept

coconutter
post Oct 1 2005, 09:25 AM
Post #13

omnomnom

Member No: 180,688

Name: Alex

Positions Interested In:
Editor: Revises submitted articles for accuracy, spelling, grammar, and appropriateness.

Experience:
I've been invited to be on the yearbook staff. Holmes journalism club. I've made millions of kiddie newspapers (turtle news, skate something, morning meow etc...)
Letter of Intent

Letter of Intent
Why are you interested in becoming a staff member? What makes you deserve this position? What can you bring to the team? If you are considering more than one position, please write a separate letter for each one and specify.

I love correct grammar. It's as simple as that. I believe that without grammar, then it looks pretty much, dumb. I love to help out and make cB a better place. I always have time after school for cB. Set aside homework, chores, you name it. This is the place you will find me. Therefore, I will be loyal to the cB paper to make it on time, and in an orderly fashion.

Editor Application

Find the flaws and correct them. Accept. Well, of course an editor would have to do this. Without finding the flaws there would be no point in an editor.
Be supportive of the writer/author. Accept. The author is on the news staff because they want to express themselves. Not to be bagged on by the editor. If there should be a problem in which the author and I should run into, I should work this out with the author and come up with a resolution and meet halfway.
Contribute ideas instead of just throwing out criticism. Accept. I wouldn't go "Ew, that's stupid" I would most likely say " I think that adding this would be better, or, It would sound better as this. . "and if they dissagree then that's okay.
Help the author develop content that will appeal to the audience. Accept. As an editor, I should always make the content fun, enjoyable, and understandable for our viewers to see.
Oversee the layout of each "paper." Accept. The overall appearance of the page is very imparitive to the paper. If people don't like what they see, then, most likely they won't read it.
Prepare, rewrite and edit copy to improve readability, or supervise others who do this work. Accept. I would of course have to do this in order to be a good editor.

Rachel
post Oct 1 2005, 10:41 AM
Post #14

i've never wanted anything rationale.

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 19,045

The newspaper is closed, so this topic should be as well.

*tweeak*
post Oct 1 2005, 11:43 AM
Post #15

Is it really? Shows how didicated I've been.

topic closed

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: