NYC Welcome Week, Feedback please! |
This Month's Contests | Hosts Looking for Hostees | Hostees looking for Hosts | BigBookofResources
Submission Guidelines
![]() ![]() |
NYC Welcome Week, Feedback please! |
Aug 12 2008, 01:30 AM
Post
#1
|
|
![]() You can call me Jon ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Duplicate Posts: 878 Joined: Mar 2004 Member No: 9,806 |
I am an old member here; I am also a flash junkie. I don't think many of you will remember me. But I need some feedback on the overall look of the site I am making for a client. I'm doing a website for NYC Welcome Week, which is this string of parties all over NY for college kids. None of the links work, but it would be great if you guys could give me some feedback on the look itself.
http://www.NYCWelcomeWeek.com/ |
|
|
|
Aug 12 2008, 02:58 AM
Post
#2
|
|
![]() You can call me Jon ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Duplicate Posts: 878 Joined: Mar 2004 Member No: 9,806 |
^ About how long did it take to load?
|
|
|
|
Aug 12 2008, 03:07 AM
Post
#3
|
|
![]() You can call me Jon ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Duplicate Posts: 878 Joined: Mar 2004 Member No: 9,806 |
Oy. The music file is what's making it big, but it's really hard to compress it and make it smaller. Hm. That would either mean cutting down the length of the song or making the quality lower.
|
|
|
|
Aug 12 2008, 03:15 AM
Post
#4
|
|
![]() You can call me Jon ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Duplicate Posts: 878 Joined: Mar 2004 Member No: 9,806 |
Well, it was actually more of a compromise between the length of the song and the quality of the sound (not actually the picture :P). I could probably shorten the song, but if I take a segment out, it will sound off-beat and out of sync with the original intent of the beat. On the other hand, lowering the quality of the music is always just :(
|
|
|
|
Aug 12 2008, 12:00 PM
Post
#5
|
|
![]() You can call me Jon ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Duplicate Posts: 878 Joined: Mar 2004 Member No: 9,806 |
Okay, I actually cut the song AND lowered the quality, so I cut the size of the file in half. That should lower the loading time significantly. If anyone else has any suggestions as to the overall look or feel of the design, please let me know! I really appreciate this community's feedback!
|
|
|
|
Aug 12 2008, 12:04 PM
Post
#6
|
|
![]() Hello Newman. ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Member Posts: 912 Joined: Sep 2007 Member No: 578,620 |
omg, omg.
I friggin love this! |
|
|
|
Aug 12 2008, 01:15 PM
Post
#7
|
|
![]() Senior Member ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Staff Alumni Posts: 2,435 Joined: Feb 2007 Member No: 506,205 |
Wow, it looks incredible. I really have nothing negative to say.
|
|
|
|
Aug 12 2008, 01:33 PM
Post
#8
|
|
![]() You can call me Jon ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Duplicate Posts: 878 Joined: Mar 2004 Member No: 9,806 |
Thanks for the replies so far guys! I actually added a few more doodads (in particular, the spotlights coming from the buildings and some decorative texts). I get the feeling it might be a little cluttered now, but if you have any feedback on what I should change (or to just keep it the way it is), just let me know!
|
|
|
|
Aug 12 2008, 04:42 PM
Post
#9
|
|
![]() torn ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Official Designer Posts: 953 Joined: Oct 2004 Member No: 55,718 |
I love the rollovers. :] It took a bit less than a minute to load for me, but it's worth the wait.
|
|
|
|
Aug 12 2008, 05:05 PM
Post
#10
|
|
![]() Oh Wow ... ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Official Designer Posts: 688 Joined: Sep 2006 Member No: 468,522 |
WOW, you are craazy good. I love the whole thing. Good color choice & I like how the navigation is. Good song choice too. Love the rollovers.
The only thing is the little signature thing on your navigation, it has like a little grey line on the outside. very tiny thing but I figured I'd point it out. Oh cool rollovers. |
|
|
|
Aug 12 2008, 05:13 PM
Post
#11
|
|
![]() Pocketful of Sunshine ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Staff Alumni Posts: 8,690 Joined: Nov 2005 Member No: 289,004 |
I remember you! We were on Skype for like.. 7 hours before. Anyways, I've always enjoyed your flash layouts. This one is no exception. Good job on the over-all design and song choice.
|
|
|
|
Aug 12 2008, 06:22 PM
Post
#12
|
|
![]() Photoartist ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Staff Alumni Posts: 12,363 Joined: Apr 2006 Member No: 399,390 |
Ay Jon! Welcome back man! Dunno if you remember me, but that's alright, ha ha.
Gah dang, your flash work definitely improved since last time man. How much do you charge for a website (if you would design for other people), no kiddin'? |
|
|
|
Aug 13 2008, 12:22 PM
Post
#13
|
|
![]() You can call me Jon ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Duplicate Posts: 878 Joined: Mar 2004 Member No: 9,806 |
Hey! Of course I remember you guys! Well, my firm is about to go public, but when it can get anywhere from a few hundred to about $5000 if we're talking about a company or so. People will pay good money for a design on the web (just as a tip for all you people that are loving this stuff, you're on the right track). I'll try and remove the gray lines around the signature (I don't even know why it's there) and I should be able to get the working navigation up soon! Keep it coming guys!
|
|
|
|
Aug 13 2008, 12:41 PM
Post
#14
|
|
|
the name's mario ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Official Member Posts: 1,270 Joined: Jun 2008 Member No: 656,520 |
wtf, i love this
i like how the building lights up when hovering over the menu that's cooll |
|
|
|
Aug 13 2008, 03:20 PM
Post
#15
|
|
|
AKA RockIt Studios ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Official Member Posts: 2,286 Joined: Jun 2006 Member No: 421,809 |
not gonna lie...
i would totally do you after seeing that. <3 on a more serious note. this has got to be the most creative flash site i've seen. the flashing buildings when the links are hovered is a bit...iffy. i mean it fits with it all, but it's just not one of those "you should do that" things, IMO. the music is a plus. |
|
|
|
Aug 13 2008, 03:38 PM
Post
#16
|
|
![]() Photoartist ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Staff Alumni Posts: 12,363 Joined: Apr 2006 Member No: 399,390 |
|
|
|
|
Aug 13 2008, 05:50 PM
Post
#17
|
|
![]() Two can keep a secret if one of them is dead. ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Staff Alumni Posts: 2,682 Joined: Jun 2005 Member No: 156,187 |
load time took a bit but once it got to 30 it sped up.
love how the image stretches with the size of the browser. song was a good choice. the blinking buildings for the links was a nice idea but it would be even better if the opacity was lowered a bit. overall it looks great, i live in NY, and it fits to us well. Love how you choose Manhattan at night and the greenish yellow hue was a good choice. also great that times square wasn't chosen... its a awesome place at night... but annoying after a while. |
|
|
|
Aug 14 2008, 02:30 AM
Post
#18
|
|
![]() You can call me Jon ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Duplicate Posts: 878 Joined: Mar 2004 Member No: 9,806 |
What about for a small personal website? Um... not gonna lie... i would totally do you after seeing that. <3 That works. Haha. Seriously though, for a small personal website, maybe a few hundred dollars to over a thousand. It really depends on the client and what exactly they would be looking for. If you wanted me to design a flash-integrated myspace, I would probably charge somewhere near 300~400 for a very decent one. If you were talking about a news blog, near a thousand. Full scale company or event, more like 2Gs. By the way, this is the full version up-to-date. Navigation and content, everything. Feedback is still always great guys! |
|
|
|
Aug 14 2008, 02:38 AM
Post
#19
|
|
![]() Pocketful of Sunshine ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Staff Alumni Posts: 8,690 Joined: Nov 2005 Member No: 289,004 |
Jon, maybe it's just me, but the site isn't working ATM.
edit// Nevermind. The spacing in the info looks pretty funky. Maybe it's just my FF, but it looks like this:
|
|
|
|
Aug 14 2008, 03:32 AM
Post
#20
|
|
![]() You can call me Jon ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Duplicate Posts: 878 Joined: Mar 2004 Member No: 9,806 |
It's just the justification that's screws up the last few lines. I can probably get that fixed!
|
|
|
|
Aug 14 2008, 03:29 PM
Post
#21
|
|
![]() Photoartist ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Staff Alumni Posts: 12,363 Joined: Apr 2006 Member No: 399,390 |
Ha ha, you are good, but perhaps too good for me.
|
|
|
|
Aug 17 2008, 12:48 PM
Post
#22
|
|
![]() You can call me Jon ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Duplicate Posts: 878 Joined: Mar 2004 Member No: 9,806 |
Hey guys,
The site is completely finished! Let me know what you think! |
|
|
|
Aug 17 2008, 02:28 PM
Post
#23
|
|
![]() Senior Member ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Head Staff Posts: 18,173 Joined: Mar 2005 Member No: 108,478 |
Amazing Flash layout. Great rollovers, song, and image.
I hope you'll post about any new layouts you make. :D |
|
|
|
Aug 17 2008, 03:14 PM
Post
#24
|
|
![]() <joke> inside </joke> ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Official Member Posts: 2,283 Joined: Oct 2006 Member No: 470,590 |
That IS great! But I would love to know, what's the name of the song and who sings it?
|
|
|
|
Aug 17 2008, 03:17 PM
Post
#25
|
|
![]() Senior Member ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Member Posts: 88 Joined: Aug 2008 Member No: 678,051 |
i need to learn flash bro.
|
|
|
|
![]() ![]() |