Log In · Register

 
105 Pages V  « < 17 18 19 20 21 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
The girl next door
Teesa
post Apr 4 2006, 03:02 PM
Post #451


crushed.
*******

Group: Staff Alumni
Posts: 9,432
Joined: Jun 2004
Member No: 20,026



I really like that movie. It really makes you think how racism goes in kind of a full circle.
 
sinjin
post Apr 5 2006, 08:59 AM
Post #452


Senior Member
***

Group: Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Apr 2006
Member No: 391,541



I loved this movie, I think actual Japanese actors and actresses would have made it better, but overall it was pretty good. Although the only parts I don't like is nearing the ending, you know,the Americans and crap.
 
F_L_I_P
post Apr 5 2006, 09:16 AM
Post #453


PHIL ˝
******

Group: Member
Posts: 2,663
Joined: Mar 2004
Member No: 6,982



I saw this trailer for it it loooked funny

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-TSWaKWiAhY

XD

-Phil-
 
ecargnmyst
post Apr 5 2006, 09:29 PM
Post #454


Senior Member
******

Group: Member
Posts: 1,584
Joined: Dec 2004
Member No: 70,748



lol..good book and movie..

hehe..i auditioned for the movie during the summer for the part of chiyo ..didnt get the part (obviously) ..haha
 
Tribal J_Rome
post Apr 6 2006, 09:56 PM
Post #455


wut wut in the butt?
******

Group: Human
Posts: 2,108
Joined: Sep 2005
Member No: 227,723





Maaaaaaaaan I can't wait for this movie. Sucks that they decided it's not coming out till '07

And yeah, that is a black suit, not a black and white photo.
 
eunie03
post Apr 6 2006, 10:01 PM
Post #456


Senior Member
*****

Group: Member
Posts: 650
Joined: Jan 2005
Member No: 84,519



Sandman and Topher Grace as Venom.... Can I get a hoo-rah?
 
JumpforJoy
post Apr 6 2006, 10:10 PM
Post #457


Senior Member
*****

Group: Member
Posts: 421
Joined: Jan 2006
Member No: 362,920



Wow, this thread is like, 2 years old. Now that's saying something! Damn.

I can't wait for it... it's going to be awesome.
 
*ranniel*
post Apr 6 2006, 11:17 PM
Post #458





Guest






I don't know, I guess I'll research it on wikipedia or something. sounds interesting.
 
ecargnmyst
post Apr 6 2006, 11:54 PM
Post #459


Senior Member
******

Group: Member
Posts: 1,584
Joined: Dec 2004
Member No: 70,748



yay i look forward to it
 
Tribal J_Rome
post Apr 7 2006, 12:04 AM
Post #460


wut wut in the butt?
******

Group: Human
Posts: 2,108
Joined: Sep 2005
Member No: 227,723



QUOTE(ranniel @ Apr 6 2006, 9:17 PM) *
I don't know, I guess I'll research it on wikipedia or something. sounds interesting.


If you're referring as to why his suit is black[and I'm not even sure if he'll actually have a black suit in the movie], when the venom reached earth it combined with Spiderman's suit and so it became black. Shortly after though he abandoned it or the other way around and it found that Brock guy and that's how he became Venom.
 
EddieV
post Apr 7 2006, 07:10 AM
Post #461


cB Assassin
********

Group: Official Member
Posts: 10,147
Joined: Mar 2004
Member No: 7,672



I've already seen some leaked scenes. Venom, Symbiote Spiderman, Sandman, Golden Goblin, and The Lizard are all going to be in there. Spiderman's going to have a hard time dealing with this one.
 
SleepyWoodson
post Apr 8 2006, 02:11 PM
Post #462


Senior Member
***

Group: Member
Posts: 86
Joined: Apr 2006
Member No: 392,325



I can't wait! I think i'm anticipating the next Batman film more but I still have insane love for Spidey.
 
slipper
post Apr 8 2006, 05:40 PM
Post #463


Senior Member
******

Group: Human
Posts: 1,152
Joined: Jan 2004
Member No: 2,239



QUOTE(Tribal J_Rome @ Apr 6 2006, 7:04 PM) *
If you're referring as to why his suit is black[and I'm not even sure if he'll actually have a black suit in the movie], when the venom reached earth it combined with Spiderman's suit and so it became black. Shortly after though he abandoned it or the other way around and it found that Brock guy and that's how he became Venom.
ooh. i finally get why there was a black suited spiderman in this pc game i had awhile back.
 
Tribal J_Rome
post Apr 8 2006, 05:46 PM
Post #464


wut wut in the butt?
******

Group: Human
Posts: 2,108
Joined: Sep 2005
Member No: 227,723



QUOTE(SleepyWoodson @ Apr 8 2006, 12:11 PM) *
I can't wait! I think i'm anticipating the next Batman film more but I still have insane love for Spidey.


dude, I don't think they even STARTED filming the next Batman
 
Paulina
post Apr 13 2006, 07:45 PM
Post #465


Fryd ev ed ec risyh?
****

Group: Member
Posts: 139
Joined: Apr 2006
Member No: 393,584



I just watched it a few days ago because I believe in reading the book before seeing the movie.
It was an amazing movie though. The costumes were gorgeous.
I didn't really get the dance thing. I thought it would be more exciting.
It was artistic in a way.
And of course the book was better than the book(at least in my opinion).
 
jue
post Apr 13 2006, 09:44 PM
Post #466


Senior Member
******

Group: Member
Posts: 2,881
Joined: Apr 2005
Member No: 132,134



I haven't seen it yet, but my english and social studies teacher both say that the book is like wayy better then the movie.
 
aicilah999
post Apr 13 2006, 10:44 PM
Post #467


what a moon tonight.
*****

Group: Member
Posts: 517
Joined: Jul 2004
Member No: 33,772



o i saw this movie a few weeks ago.
i really liked the scenery in the movie..
i <3 hatsumomo too !
well i want to read the book sometime....
i heard the book was better than the movie.
 
simx
post Apr 13 2006, 10:48 PM
Post #468


"Silly me, I thought this was a free country"
******

Group: Human
Posts: 1,666
Joined: Nov 2004
Member No: 60,913



I really liked this movie, it was awesome. Very realistic... yea this is my new favorite movie.
 
silver-rain
post Apr 14 2006, 12:07 AM
Post #469


hi. call me linda.
*******

Group: Official Member
Posts: 8,187
Joined: Feb 2004
Member No: 3,475



Hmm, I just saw this movie last night; it was good but obviously not as good as the book. Yeah, the accents were a bit hard to understand, but Gong Li played a really good Hatsumomo. The little girl that played Chiyo was so cute.
 
lanbexx
post Apr 14 2006, 07:16 AM
Post #470


我爱台妹,台妹爱我
*****

Group: Member
Posts: 877
Joined: Sep 2004
Member No: 52,340



QUOTE(lil_nat_cat @ Jan 11 2006, 4:22 AM) *
There's been a lot being talked about the casting of this movie, how most of the cast is of Chinese ethnicity and not Japanese.

This issue was also brought up by my friend who in his opinion thinks it is wrong for them to cast chinese ppl in these jap roles.

Let me ask you, did it bother u that Nicole Kidman, an Australian, played an American in Cold Mountain?

Or Heath Ledger, another Australian, played an all American gay cowboy?

Or how about Gerard Butler, a Scottish man, playing a French person in The Phantom of the Opera?

Zhang Ziyi is an Asian actress who has the looks and acting skills exploded in both Asia and international market in recent years. It might be difficult for Hollywood to risk casting a Jap actress who has less international status.

Essentially what we are talking about here is nationality, not race. U are saying that it is disrespectful for a Chinese woman to play the role of a Japanese woman.

Well, where do we draw the line with this? Is it therefore disrespectful for a French woman to portray a German woman? I don't think anyone would say anything about that, even if the role being played was very reflective of the German culture. So, is it only disrespectful in regards to Asians? Anyone who isn't white? Where is the line??

Lets also remember that the author of Memoirs of a Geisha, Arthur Golden, is American. He is an American who studied and lived in Japan, who loves Japanese culture and art. This story has not been 100% Japanese since its birth of coming out as a novel.

Nationalities simply do not need to match up for a work to be valid. I think a non-Japanese actor could have this same appreciation and could portray these parts beautifully.

If anything, I think we should be happy that Asians in general are getting more roles then just kung fu kick ass types.

Ok, I'm gona stop now. I recommend the movie to those who haven't read the book or seen the movie.



obviously you dont understand the tension between japan and china. also, you dont totally understand the attitude of the chinese public. they basically DESPISE zhang ziyi now because (in order of controversy) a)she acted in a western movie b)she played a japanese woman c)she played a japanese slut d)she acted in a rape scene.

zhang ziyi has virtually killed her popularity in china, she may have been a good actress, but she lost all her asian support. her "explosion" has imploded and now she has to act in Western movies and be portrayed as the stereotypical wet dream of the orient for america.

of course, rather than being portrayed in ass-kicking stereotypical roles, let the asian society and its women be presented as sex objects that western capitalism will swallow, a much better alternative.

why is there no furor over the australian actor in brokeback? because it did not insult australia. with zhang ziyi (and other chinese actors) acceptance of their roles, they have decided to patronize (or is it matronize i dunno) the idea of japanese superiority. the time period of the movie was during a time when japanese basically took advantage of the chinese.

being of western thought, you would consider these reasons stupid, or blown out of context. a lot of us chinese however, think this way, and have a lot of pride in their nation/nationality. to say that it shouldnt be a problem because of her ethnicity show that you have no perception of chinese culture
 
gelionie
post Apr 14 2006, 10:31 AM
Post #471


say maydayism.
*******

Group: Staff Alumni
Posts: 7,447
Joined: Jun 2004
Member No: 26,344



The original novel is much better than the film, though I watched the film first. The film isn't able to capture the inner feelings of Sayuri.
 
*FreeStickers*
post Apr 14 2006, 01:55 PM
Post #472





Guest






QUOTE(mzkandi @ Jun 6 2005, 8:25 PM) *
Hell yeah, he played that part really well, I was impressed.


That doesn't make him a good actor. I thought he was just playing himself. I also saw him in an episode of Law & Order and I think that's really the ONLY part he can play.
 
eunie03
post Apr 16 2006, 03:21 PM
Post #473


Senior Member
*****

Group: Member
Posts: 650
Joined: Jan 2005
Member No: 84,519



Did you hear they're remaking My Sassy Girl? There are a slew of actresses who are thought to play the lead (from Sarah Michelle Gellar to Rachael Leigh Cook).

From what I hear, this is pretty old news... so if there already was a topic on this, I apologize _smile.gif
 
*I Shot JFK*
post Apr 16 2006, 04:02 PM
Post #474





Guest






i've never even heard of the original...
 
eunie03
post Apr 16 2006, 04:08 PM
Post #475


Senior Member
*****

Group: Member
Posts: 650
Joined: Jan 2005
Member No: 84,519



QUOTE(robb0 @ Apr 16 2006, 5:05 PM) *
Whaaaat?!

With caucasian actors?!

Yup!
 

105 Pages V  « < 17 18 19 20 21 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: