Resource Center Links

This Month's Contests | Hosts Looking for Hostees | Hostees looking for Hosts | Big Book of Resources

Submission Guidelines

my own dilema with making a website., i really need some guidance on this.
creole
post May 27 2010, 12:35 AM
Post #1

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 676,364

Okay. I'm inspired from sites like 99mockingbirds, outspoken-kate, and swimchick. I like their designs, their website layout, their neatness, and most importantly their generous contribution to the world of graphic designing. They also have personal blogs which I love to read.

The thing is..what can a newbie like me start on a path like this? My intentions of my website would be blogging, frequent graphic designing related posts, and a personal portfolio for photography and digital art. Many of cB members that I know already have sites like the one I want, but it would be really helpful if someone gave me the ropes. Most of these questions can be searched, but I want the members of cB's personal first experience or advice with their website. What hosting is reliable and worth the bang for the buck. (I'd like to know you guys buying policies and how much memory you use or bandwidth, like say, should a beginner like me go all out and buy the highest value of hosting there is?) Does it matter what type of domain I purchase? Should I use .com or .net? What are some good leads to get into web design besides classes, because I have no intentions of wasting an elective in high school. (Trying not to sound ignorant, but my scholarship program wants me to take rigorous academic classes instead) What are the benefits of having a website? How would I get more hits? Please vent out all your info here.

Oh and money isn't an issue for me..but the pricing should be somewhat reasonable.

Start new topic
Replies
creole
post Aug 1 2010, 05:05 AM
Post #2

Member No: 676,364

QUOTE(venti-anemoi @ Jul 20 2010, 07:09 PM) *
Invisus Designs has an article on how to find a good host here.

If you know any webmasters with their own domains, you could email them explaining what you want your site to be and asking if they're willing to host you or give you a subdomian. Look for people who are already hosting a few sites (not a lot, though) - that's a good indication that they're open to hosting / are good hosts. Some may ask for samples of your work, if you're planning a graphics/resource site, which is normal, and a good chance to show off. :)

Also, look for sites that are similar to the one you're planning on opening - if you want to open a graphics site that features mainly anime, for example, then try asking webmasters of other anime graphics sites.

You may have to get the subdomain and the hosting separately. Some hosts will give you a url (yoursite.theirsite.com or theirsite.com/yoursite) but not enough space, especially for a graphics site; you may have to find a sponsor who will provide the extra space you need. Try to find a host who will give you both a url and sufficient space, but be open-minded if you can't find what you want.

Personally, I would first look at sites whose owners you know and/or you visit often. Take a look at their hosts if they're being hosted by someone else. You could ask people you know to refer you to their host too. Try to get your name and your work out there, and you'll find a good host in no time.

Good luck! :)

Thank you again and I'll definitely go with your plan!

QUOTE(Firiath @ Jul 26 2010, 08:12 AM) *
http://bubble.nu seems like a pretty good host :]
I emailed the host once and got a reply back within 24hours
Plus there's a forum where you can talk to the hoster and her hostees

Thanks for the suggestion. =)

QUOTE(kawohi @ Jul 30 2010, 06:21 PM) *
First: Don't believe in host's with 'unlimited bandwidth..etc"
It's not true. Usually in there terms it'll say otherwise.
Like Unlimited to a certain point.

If you really want to learn HTML and CSS. Classes can be good, you could say that on your portfolio if you try to find clients to do websites, like the kind of college you went to. I started out with a eBook a friend gave to me. If you're really dedicated on learning how to code, read W3Schools Then PM me ill be glad to give you the eBooks I used that taught me a lot.

Don't buy anything until you know how to create a website, on less it's a domain and you think someone might take it. and .com is the best, but .net is cool too :)

So do you want to be a Graphix artist? Or a Illustrator? Take lots and lots and lots on tutorials!

Hmm that is a lot to learn. I want to be a Graphics artist. My school has a class that teaches Websites coding with like Dreamweaver so does that count as part of HTML and CSS?

synapse
post Aug 1 2010, 08:25 AM
Post #3

Live long and prosper.

Member No: 514,926

QUOTE(Cum @ Aug 1 2010, 06:05 AM) *
Thank you again and I'll definitely go with your plan!
Thanks for the suggestion. =)
Hmm that is a lot to learn. I want to be a Graphics artist. My school has a class that teaches Websites coding with like Dreamweaver so does that count as part of HTML and CSS?

A class that teaches website coding in a first level course, will probably teach you just HTML. A good book for HTML is Head First HTML It's kinda corny, but everything you need to know is there. But coding "with" dreamweaver isn't teaching you how to code, it's teaching you how to use dreamweaver, and to use dreamweaver you have to know some html. CSS is everything like styling for myspace websites. HTML is just formatting.

venti-anemoi
post Aug 2 2010, 11:57 PM
Post #4

torn

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 55,718

QUOTE(synapse @ Aug 1 2010, 06:25 AM) *
A good book for HTML is Head First HTML It's kinda corny, but everything you need to know is there.

LOL my java class has Head First Java as a required textbook. I'm in college, btw. XD "Corny" is a good word to describe that series, I think. Still, it's a lot more interesting than the other assigned readings, and I get more out of it.

Wowzers, thanks. I'm going to Barnes & Nobles this week, so would you recommend the one that teachers CSS & XHTML also?

Tbh I don't think you absolutely need to buy any books just to learn HTML and CSS. I learned everything about web languages on the web, by reading a ton of tutorials *cough* and making all my mistakes in Xanga *cough*. The downside to that is that I was never entirely sure if my code was "correct," but hey -- it worked. :D The W3schools are a good place to start. If you're confused after reading tutorials, then maybe you could invest in a book.

(But just so you know, I'm an extremely frugal [read: cheap] person and hate spending money unless absolutely necessary, so.... if you feel the urge to splurge, then go for it. ^_^ )

Posts in this topic
Cum   my own dilema with making a website.   May 27 2010, 12:35 AM
Cum   bump, because i really need the help.   Jun 3 2010, 03:24 PM
randycowell   Having an open links to other websites in a new wi...   Jun 9 2010, 07:26 AM
Cum   thank you. at least someone cares to post in this...   Jun 9 2010, 10:18 AM
Mikeplyts   ^ Wow. Anyhow, I'd say you should get a nice,...   Jun 9 2010, 11:20 AM
Cum   yes. <3, and thank u mike for the plethora of i...   Jun 9 2010, 11:23 AM
Mikeplyts   Yeah, yeah. Don't mention it.   Jun 9 2010, 11:27 AM
Cum   kekekekek   Jun 9 2010, 10:17 PM
99mockingbirds   The benefits of having a website, allows one to ge...   Jul 17 2010, 10:06 AM
ForgiveTheSinner   ^what Tuly said. One thing that bothers me (and ...   Jul 19 2010, 04:03 AM
venti-anemoi   QUOTE(ForgiveTheSinner @ Jul 19 2010, 02...   Jul 20 2010, 08:34 PM
Cum   QUOTE(99mockingbirds @ Jul 17 2010, 07:06...   Jul 19 2010, 08:58 AM
Butterface89   QUOTE(Cum @ Jul 19 2010, 08:58 AM) Thank ...   Sep 26 2010, 03:47 PM
ButtsexV2   if you want a great host, check out brohoster. sh...   Jul 19 2010, 09:53 AM
Cum   QUOTE(ButtsexV2 @ Jul 19 2010, 06:53 AM) ...   Jul 20 2010, 09:03 PM
venti-anemoi   Invisus Designs has an article on how to find a go...   Jul 20 2010, 10:09 PM
Firiath   http://bubble.nu seems like a pretty good host :] ...   Jul 26 2010, 11:12 AM
kawohi   First: Don't believe in host's with 'u...   Jul 30 2010, 09:21 PM
Cum   QUOTE(venti-anemoi @ Jul 20 2010, 07...   Aug 1 2010, 05:05 AM
synapse   QUOTE(Cum @ Aug 1 2010, 06:05 AM) Thank y...   Aug 1 2010, 08:25 AM
venti-anemoi   QUOTE(synapse @ Aug 1 2010, 06:25 AM) A g...   Aug 2 2010, 11:57 PM
Cum   Wowzers, thanks. I'm going to Barnes & No...   Aug 1 2010, 02:48 PM
kawohi   Please don't use Dreamweaver. It stops you fro...   Aug 3 2010, 03:48 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: