Reply to this topicStart new topic
Yellowgurl's Guide To BRACES, =)
yellowgurl
post Aug 3 2005, 04:14 AM
Post #1

sunshiine

Group: Member
Member No: 20,360

Okay, there are probably many people out there who have braces and are probably concerned about many questions. And these are what I have come up with.

DO THEY HURT?
I hate to tell you, but yes it does only when the dentist tightens it and when you have been picking at your teeth or brace. Sometimes they might hurt if you eat something really hard like apples. You can take painkillers if it ABSOLUTELY hurts like crazy...

WILL/DO I LOOK BAD IN BRACES?
actually... no you wont. It's the inside that counts and it all depends on the person. Everyone is beautiful and its the personality that matters.

HOW CAN YOU CLEAN YOUR TEETH?
Usually the dentist gives you a toothbrush especially for braces to get all the spots or just use a regular or if you prefer a electronic buzzing one. Either way, floss by putting it under the wire and getting it at the top of your teeth and floss . Or you can get special floss.

AHHHH! THERES FOOD STUCK I CANT GET IT OUT!!
Now you may notice the important of flossing. Sometimes eating foods like leafy veggies and corn, gum, caramel, bread and many other junk will get caught. Usual I would use a toothpick because it cant get all the food. Or swish your mouth with water and check with the mirror after a meal. After awhile, you just MIGHT not care anymore and when people ask eww whats that just smile and say LUNCH and laugh =) OR!! IF you are completely alone just pick it out with your teeth =)

HOW LONG UNTIL THEY COME OFF!?
It all depends, if you're teeth arent that straight it may take longer. Varys from 1/2 year - max 2,3,4? Nobody Knows? There isnt a exact time period but your dentist should know though.
newly added: yes you might have to wear a retainer to hold it in shape.

WHAT CAN'T YOU EAT WITH BRACES
ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! eat WHATEVER YOU WANT. I find that saying that you cant eat the thing you hate gives a plus side to braces but to tell you the truth you can eat absolutely everything. Crunchy, hard foods may be difficult to chew when its the first week or when its just been tightened but after awhile you adjust to it and it's fine. My dentist said dont chew ice, dont eat gum since it damages the wire. I do it anyways =) but its true, so cut hard food and avoid sticky edibles if you really want to be safe.

I DONT WANT BRACES BUT I HAVE TO GET THEM.. WHAT CAN I DO?
First of all, braces are expensive, so be happy that you're getting a prettier set of straight teeth that your parents probably had to pay over 3000 bucks for. You can try to get invisible ones (ask your dentist) but usually thats even more expensive and it turns into a yellowish colour. So smile, and just make the best of the situation.
More from feleeza:
Invisalign has clear, plastic braces. But this is only for gaps and other minor defects. NOT for overbites, underbites, etc. And it also costs $2,000 more than regular braces.

ABOUT THE BOX OF WAX THEY GIVE YOU (Sometimes):
Im not sure if everyone gets one but for me sometimes the wires too long so it pokes my gums at the end so what you are supposed to do is put wax on the ends and its better. just take about as much as you need to cover the wire and stick it on and maneuver it till it feels better when its done. From what I learned, after you change the elastics and wire, just move your mouth a bit to see if anything hurts and if it happens to poke your gums tell your dentist to cut it shorter =)

from ag3nt_sm17h
CAN THEY GET STUCK TOGETHER WHILE MAKING OUT?

No. Don't worry. It's nearly impossible to get braces suck while making out, unless you are one of the people who use their teeth to make out. In my personal experiance it is not possible to do so

Newly added: from wonders79

Correction from --What cant you eat:

IS NOT TRUE There ARE things that you CAN NOT eat with braces. Believe me, I have had tons of experience. Your brackets might not fall out the first time, but they will after a while. Plus, it's not good for your teeth either. Once, while I was chewing on skittles, my back band fell off. I thought it wasn't a big deal, and I kept at it. Soon enough, my back band fell off again :/
So yeah, pleaaaaaase do not eat: sticky candy (skittles, mentos...). Or if you're dying to have some, have LIMITED amounts only, and be careful if you want to eat them.

HOW LONG?
Also, time varies for your braces. They can go up to FIVE years, and I've known people who have had them for five years. Your teeth are the calender to how long your braces stay on. If you don't take care of them, then you will have problems=longer time.

YOUR TOOTHBRUSH IS YOUR BEST FRIEND
Haha, okay. I also want to add that when you brush your teeth with braces, to MAKE SURE you have brushed your entire mouth. It's harder, because you have little brackets here and there, but it's important. People who have braces tend to get cavaties easily. Especially the backbackback teeth (the ones nearest your throat). My dentist told me he has had numerous patients who had cavaties near that area. SO BRUSH (especially those back teeth to avoid cavaties)!

AFTER YOUR BRACES..
And the downside to braces is that you get retainers after. That's why I got my braces a second time...I never got retainers, so my teeth went all crooked again. And you'll have to wear those retainers for (most) of the rest of your life. Um, I've never gotten them...soo, no experience there.

Finally words, just relax, and think about all the things you could benefit from having straight teeth, like.... a better smile, no more food stuck, guys might comment on how prettier it is =) its endless. Just have some fun with it like colourful patterns for elastics. Ask your dentist for anymore questions, or feel free to PM me. That's all I could think of and feel free to add more anyone.

-
My experience:

So you might be thinking, WHAT MAKES ME THE EXPERT? haha.. well I have had braces not long.. but its been a year or so. I have gone through having SO MUCH food stuck in my teeth to trying to pick it out with my fingers in public. I practiced smiling in front of a mirror because it was so awkward. GRADUALLY, I got use to it and everything was fine. I got use to the tightening and enjoyed having braces because I didnt like my crooked teeth =) I have many friends who had braces so I was fine that I wasn't the only one and im pretty sure NO ONE is x) Anyways, Thats it for now, I'll stop boring you.

EDIT// I added in some mentioned things from the replies. Everyone has different points of views and solutions so just read it =) its helpful.

shortiiex
post Aug 3 2005, 06:02 AM
Post #2

Group: Official Member
Member No: 52,702

the average of getting your braces off is 3
and after you take off your braces you have to wear a retainer for like 15 years? or forever?

gelionie
post Aug 3 2005, 06:37 AM
Post #3

say maydayism.

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 26,344

This is so crazy... I just got my braces today, and you make this topic! wacko.gif

It's a little uncomfortale at the moment but not very painful.

ag3nt_sm17h
post Aug 3 2005, 07:16 AM
Post #4

They Set Us Up With The Bomb

Member No: 166,761

No. Don't worry. It's nearly impossible to get braces suck while making out, unless you are one of the people who use their teeth to make out. In my personal experiance it is not possible to do so.

cocoalightning27
post Aug 3 2005, 08:42 AM
Post #5

I have no life

Member No: 66,675

lol ^you read my mind

I'm going to get braces in about a week and for 1 1/2 year to 2 years

then i'll haev to wear a retainer for about 2 years

not bad...

omfghookerx
post Aug 3 2005, 09:42 AM
Post #6

Member No: 192,073

[FONT=Times][SIZE=1]That works. :)

iheartjohn
post Aug 3 2005, 09:56 AM
Post #7

yerp!

Member No: 66,454

QUOTE(yellowgurl @ Aug 3 2005, 4:14 AM)
HOW LONG UNTIL THEY COME OFF!?

Actually my friend (who is 19) waited to get them and now she has to have them on for five years. The longer you wait, the longer you'll wear them.

I DONT WANT BRACES BUT I HAVE TO GET THEM.. WHAT CAN I DO?

Invisalign has clear, plastic braces. But this is only for gaps and other minor defects. NOT for overbites, underbites, etc. And it also costs $2,000 more than regular braces.

*mzkandi*
post Aug 3 2005, 10:03 AM
Post #8

QUOTE([f)
eleeza,Aug 3 2005, 10:56 AM]And it also costs $2,000 more than regular braces.

About how much do regular braces cost?

that your parents probably had to pay over 3000 bucks for

they cost that damn much?

iheartjohn
post Aug 3 2005, 10:15 AM
Post #9

yerp!

Member No: 66,454

Braces can cost up $3000.

anger_is_my_frie...
post Aug 3 2005, 11:05 AM
Post #10

Linny the dork.

Member No: 35,258

yea it's true that they cost up to $3000 but if you have insurance they can pay up to half as much like mine did. i too am a brace face girl pinch.gif and also some of my advice for new people getting braces:

- when you first get your braces, they're gonna hurt like heck so i'd drink up on like jamba juice or smoothies, it'll make you feel better

- stay away from real crunchy things like croutons and hard candy cuz it can mess up your brackets or wire like it did to mine.. NOT smart lol

- when your dentist asks you to wear rubber bands(and i'm sure he will) always wear them, if you don't your teeth won't move and you'll have to wear them longer _dry.gif

- kissing is fine, just make sure your braces don't scrape on the other person's mouth, just in case you make out with your teeth huh.gif

- and also when you have your braces, always ask your orthodontist as many questions as you have cuz it can give you a lil reassurance and hey it doesnt hurt right? lol. hope this helped everyone!

Hiphop d[-_-]b
post Aug 3 2005, 11:39 AM
Post #11

Bay Area YadadaDiiiig.

Group: Official Member
Member No: 103,202

i have braces [:

DO THEY HURT?
they dont so much as hurt when hes putting them on. for me, [speaking on myself] they didnt hurt at all the very first time. they just ached a little bit later on, but after he tightens them they will ACHE SO BAD. i had to take painkillers. but its not unbearable pain.

Angel_Cece
post Aug 3 2005, 03:44 PM
Post #12

˘ž Wanting it. ˘ž

Member No: 39,234

yea i agree on the what you can eat part. my othrodontist told me i couldnt eat gum, bagels, corn, i still do lol.

*salcha*
post Aug 3 2005, 04:29 PM
Post #13

Um, I have had braces two times in my life. 5 years put together. And I can tell you that thiiiiiiiiiis:

WHAT CAN'T YOU EAT WITH BRACES

IS NOT TRUE There ARE things that you CAN NOT eat with braces. Believe me, I have had tons of experience. Your brackets might not fall out the first time, but they will after a while. Plus, it's not good for your teeth either. Once, while I was chewing on skittles, my back band fell off. I thought it wasn't a big deal, and I kept at it. Soon enough, my back band fell off again :/
So yeah, pleaaaaaase do not eat: sticky candy (skittles, mentos...). Or if you're dying to have some, have LIMITED amounts only, and be careful if you want to eat them.

HOW LONG?
Also, time varies for your braces. They can go up to FIVE years, and I've known people who have had them for five years. Your teeth are the calender to how long your braces stay on. If you don't take care of them, then you will have problems=longer time.

YOUR TOOTHBRUSH IS YOUR BEST FRIEND
Haha, okay. I also want to add that when you brush your teeth with braces, to MAKE SURE you have brushed your entire mouth. It's harder, because you have little brackets here and there, but it's important. People who have braces tend to get cavaties easily. Especially the backbackback teeth (the ones nearest your throat). My dentist told me he has had numerous patients who had cavaties near that area. SO BRUSH (especially those back teeth to avoid cavaties)! _smile.gif

AFTER YOUR BRACES..
And the downside to braces is that you get retainers after. That's why I got my braces a second time...I never got retainers, so my teeth went all crooked again. And you'll have to wear those retainers for (most) of the rest of your life. Um, I've never gotten them...soo, no experience there.

Dude, I can go on and on and on and on about braces...haha

*mzkandi*
post Aug 3 2005, 05:08 PM
Post #14

I'm thinking maybe this should be moved to health rather than girl resources.

misskentucky
post Aug 3 2005, 05:17 PM
Post #15

Oh Goddamnit.

Member No: 46,884

Kinda ironic since I just got braces today. They do hurt. And getting them on is uncomfortable and sometimes painful. I can't wait for tomorrow! *Sarcasm*

parallel
post Aug 3 2005, 05:48 PM
Post #16

TOISU!!

Member No: 92,516

QUOTE(mzkandi @ Aug 3 2005, 2:08 PM)

Righto.

I don't know how many times my dad has told me that "I'm getting braces"..but I never do. Thank goodness. I don't need em anyway. ermm.gif

yellowgurl
post Aug 3 2005, 07:35 PM
Post #17

sunshiine

Member No: 20,360

QUOTE(mzkandi @ Aug 3 2005, 2:08 PM)

Okay sure =) Please do. =)

technicolour
post Aug 3 2005, 07:36 PM
Post #18

show me a garden thats bursting to life

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 115,987

QUOTE(ag3nt_sm17h @ Aug 3 2005, 7:16 AM)

No. Don't worry. It's nearly impossible to get braces suck while making out, unless you are one of the people who use their teeth to make out. In my personal experiance it is not possible to do so.

Darnet. I was going to write about that. But, as he said, no it's not possible.

Braces..oohh..just wait till retainers. Now those things..gah...i hate it more than i hated my braces.

Comptine
post Aug 3 2005, 08:28 PM
Post #19

Sing to Me

Member No: 10,808

another tip from an ex-bracer biggrin.gif

food gets stuck easier in your braces and small particles get jammed into unseen places. this can cause bacteria and make your gums soft and easily cut (from brushing and flossing). swish salt water around in your mouth. it kills bacteria and cleans cuts so they heal faster.

sheepy
post Aug 3 2005, 09:21 PM
Post #20

dizzy me up.

Member No: 11,139

haha i kind of like my braces, but not when i needed them at first.

fisher0fman
post Oct 29 2005, 11:36 PM
Post #21

Member No: 278,713

..my braces never hurt me when I got them..probably 'cause I am used to having metal in my mouth. I had to have (and still do; blech) a headgear...it stinks. >.<

Latina Babii
post Oct 30 2005, 07:28 AM
Post #22

Proud to be an Anime Otaku

Member No: 165,004

Meh I have braces and they don't hurt >_< Tightening hurts and when they have to fix a bracket tit does.

Oh you wanna watch out if you bite your lips I bit mine, but Istarted moving it around and my teeth kinda slipped and it broke the metal and I could move it across the wire.

And braces do cost over 3000 and most orthadental places don't make you pay all of it at one time.

*mzkandi*
post Oct 30 2005, 02:22 PM
Post #23

Moved to Health

_suzie_
post Nov 4 2005, 03:18 PM
Post #24

Member No: 153,708

''I never got retainers, so my teeth went all crooked again. And you'll have to wear those retainers for (most) of the rest of your life''

umm...i duno about americans, but over here we just get the retainer for 6 months and your teeth are set in place for ever..

5ayuri
post Nov 4 2005, 10:34 PM
Post #25

Too slow.

Member No: 108,320

Damn my teeth are still hurting, and I got them tightened 3 days ago.
Anyways, good info.

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: