A Guide To Depression, Symptoms, science, solutions
Paradox of Life
post Jul 21 2005, 05:31 PM
Post #1

My name's Katt. Nice to meet you!

Group: Member
Member No: 93,674

Introduction

Some may find depression as something minor that affects only the way you think, but that is not true. Depression not only makes you feel under the weather all the time, but 94% of people diagnosed with depression reported having physical symptoms as well.

I wrote this because I have been diagnosed with quite major depression and I wanted to look up on it. And why not just put it up for you to see?

Summary

What is depression?

Depression is a medical illness with both emotional and physical symptoms.

noun: sad feelings of gloom and inadequacy
noun: a mental state characterized by a pessimistic sense of inadequacy and a despondent lack of activity

What are symptoms of depression?

- Stress
- Headaches
- Worry
- Vague Aches
- Overwhelmed
- Sadness
- Sleep Problems
- Back Problems
- Loss of Interest
- Fatigue
- Difficulty to Concentrate
- Difficulty to Make Decisions

What's wrong?
You probably don't feel like how you used to be. People usually aren't born depressed. You probably have lost interest in things you used to enjoy (for instance visiting relatives, video games, drawing). You may be more irritable and can be easily upset and end up crying and feeling bad at the end of the day. You need to assess the situation if you are suffering these symptoms because most likely you have depression and taking care of it is the most wise thing to do.

How did I get this way?
Being depressed is just a regular condition like high cholesterol or heart disease and it's obviously not your fault. Depression is a medical condition that is believed to be caused by an imbalance of naturally occurring chemicals in the brain and throughout the body. The imbalance can be triggered by an event that happened in your life such as a loss of someone close to you or an injury of some sort. Depression may also be related to heredity and has passed down to you. Regardless, depression is a real medical illness and people can't just 'snap out' of it without help.

What can I do about it?
Don't wait. Use the checklist following to discuss with your doctor including any physical symptoms that many people don't recognize as part of depression. Be open about how you feel and tell your physician completely what's going on so they can help you. Address all physical and emotional symptoms.

Scientific

Two Vital Chemicals Are Key

Many experts believe depression is caused by an imbalance of naturally occuring chemicals. They are called Serotonin and Norepinephrine, in the brain and body.

In the brain, the two chemicals are thought to be associated with mood and emotion.
These same chemicals are thought to be associated with regulating and reducing feelings of pain that come from the body.

Experts believe that if these chemicals are out of balance, the effect can be felt in both the brain and the body. You can feel both the emotional and painful physical symptoms of depression. Remember, it is a real medical illness that can affect several aspects of your body.

Survey
Review this list developed by the University of Michigan and check all that apply to you.

_ I am often restless and irritable.
_ I am having irregular sleep patterns - either too much or too little.
_ I don't enjoy hobbies, my friends, family or leisure activities anymore.
_ I am having trouble managing my diabetes, hypertension or other chronic illness.
_ I have nagging aches and pains that do not get beter no matter what I do.
_ I have trouble concentrating or making simple decisions.
_ My weight has changed a considerable amount.
_ Others have commented on my mood or attitude lately.

_ I have thought about suicide.
_ I have a family history of depression
_ I feel that my functioning in my everyday life (work, family friends) is suffering because of these problems.
_ I have had several of the symptoms I checked above for more than two weeks.

I often experience:

_ Digestive problems
_ Headache or backache
_ Chest pains
_ Vague aches and pains like joint or muscle pains
_ Dizziness

Key questions to ask your doctor

- Am I depressed?
- Could my aches and pains be related to depression?
- Could medication help me feel more like myself?

How to help your depression by yourself

-Set realistic goals in light of the depression and assume a reasonable amount of responsibility.
-Break large tasks into small ones, set some priorities, and do what you can as you can.
-Try to be with other people and to confide in someone; it is usually better than being alone and secretive.
-Participate in activities that may make you feel better. Mild exercise, going to a movie, a ballgame, or participating in religious, social, or other activities may help.
-Expect your mood to improve gradually, not immediately. Feeling better takes time.
-It is advisable to postpone important decisions until the depression has lifted.
Before deciding to make a significant transition—change jobs, get married or divorced—discuss it with others who know you well and have a more objective view of your situation.
-People rarely "snap out of" a depression. But they can feel a little better day-by-day.
-Remember, positive thinking will replace the negative thinking that is part of the depression and will disappear as your depression responds to treatment.
Let your family and friends help you.

Interesting facts about depression

- Women experience depression about twice as often as men. Many hormonal factors may contribute to the increased rate of depression in women—particularly such factors as menstrual cycle changes, pregnancy, miscarriage, postpartum period, pre-menopause, and menopause. Many women also face additional stresses such as responsibilities both at work and home, single parenthood, and caring for children and for aging parents.

Although men are less likely to suffer from depression than women, 3 to 4 million men in the United States are affected by the illness. Men are less likely to admit to depression, and doctors are less likely to suspect it. The rate of suicide in men is four times that of women, though more women attempt it. In fact, after age 70, the rate of men's suicide rises, reaching a peak after age 85.

- In any given 1-year period, 9.5 percent of the population, or about 18.8 million American adults, suffer from a depressive illness

References

- Cymbalta packet (Cymbalta)
- National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH)

yummy_delight
post Jul 21 2005, 05:40 PM
Post #2

Lauren loves YOU.

Member No: 32,793

This was really informative.

I can't thank you enough for this.

fatal emotions
post Jul 21 2005, 08:22 PM
Post #3

Ehh...

Member No: 175,878

Word.

jennyjenny
post Jul 21 2005, 08:26 PM
Post #4

Member No: 28,115

That, was really helpful. Because I just read it and a lot of things are related to me, and plus I've been feeling really sad/angry this whole summer.

Bobblehead425
post Jul 21 2005, 08:36 PM
Post #5

My desperate heart is far too weak to run for you this long.

Member No: 150,342

i know that i was very very sad since i moved. only im not diagnosed with depression. i was under a lot of stress when i started school and almost every night i would cry my eyes out. i could never sleep. im better now though. but anyway, good information

iheartjohn
post Jul 21 2005, 10:29 PM
Post #6

yerp!

Member No: 66,454

Talk about Postpartum Depression.

That's always a bitch.

demolished
post Jul 22 2005, 08:57 PM
Post #7

Group:
Member No: 8,001

i love it. i'm going to provide it in my pinned topic.

Survey
Review this list developed by the University of Michigan and check all that apply to you.

_ I am having irregular sleep patterns - either too much or too little.
_ I am having trouble managing my diabetes, hypertension or other chronic illness.
_ I have nagging aches and pains that do not get beter no matter what I do.
_ I have trouble concentrating or making simple decisions.
_ Others have commented on my mood or attitude lately.

_ I have a family history of depression
_ I feel that my functioning in my everyday life (work, family friends) is suffering because of these problems.
_ I have had several of the symptoms I checked above for more than two weeks.

I often experience:

_ Digestive problems
_ Headache or backache
_ Chest pains
_ Vague aches and pains like joint or muscle pains
_ Dizziness

Yep. i knew that long ago.

lKVNiiKINKYl
post Jul 22 2005, 09:08 PM
Post #8

CHYEAAHHH MAN

Member No: 168,013

after reading this, all except one symptom relates to me. i think i have depression...

aera
post Jul 22 2005, 09:11 PM
Post #9

*scribble scribble*

Member No: 119,610

alot of them apply to me but i dont think i have depression.

demolished
post Jul 23 2005, 01:11 AM
Post #10

Group:

alot of them apply to me but i dont think i have depression.

Maybe a talk would be nice. Sometimes when people see you sad or whatever. they talked to you about it. Maybe a talk with a doctor for help determination.

*XLilAznGrl592X*
post Jul 24 2005, 11:55 PM
Post #11

thnx katt. o wow.. i thought i was over my depression.. but i have all but one symptom.. i think i have it.. sad.gif

Teesa
post Jul 25 2005, 01:54 AM
Post #12

crushed.

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 20,026

Thanks for sharing this with us. Really. I think a lot of people are misguided when discussing this subject..I know I was. Thanks again flowers.gif

Mr. Slowjamz
post Jul 26 2005, 06:10 PM
Post #13

what do you think it says....if so obvious.

Member No: 52,420

thx

mai_z
post Jul 27 2005, 09:07 PM
Post #14

unify and defeat... divide and crumble

Member No: 6,379

Ok ok, ONE symptom doesn't mean you have depression. This is really informative though. kudos for making it!

x3chrissyx3
post Jul 27 2005, 09:12 PM
Post #15

sO seDuctivE

Member No: 2,009

I like you'r guide. However, I'm depressed myself, and I'm getting an MA in Psychology in May, so..

the symptoms above do describe the symptoms of depression, but they also describe some symptoms of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorders and Anxiety disorders. Or, they can be because you're merely stressed. The only way you'll be able to know that you're depressed is by going to a Psychologist. I don't think many kids realized that even if one key symptom is off, you're not depressed, but you are in fact, something else.

I mean, people who are depressed may hurt themselves and have all of the above, but people who are Borderline do the same, so you can't make assumptions.

Go to a doctor.

...and what people don't understand is that when you're depressed, you don't usually KNOW you are.

keep that in mind :/

yukichan
post Jul 30 2005, 01:55 PM
Post #16

I'll never be who I was again..

Member No: 77,981

Wow..
A lot of them relate to me..
I think I'm depressed...

demolished
post Jul 30 2005, 05:25 PM
Post #17

Group:

Wow alot of people are depressed.
I was wondering .. is that one of the reason you guys use cB ?

elaboratedream
post Aug 3 2005, 10:12 PM
Post #18

straight as a rainbow and twice as colorful

Member No: 112,415

QUOTE(aznxboredxperson @ Jul 30 2005, 5:25 PM)

meh, sometimes...

I'm deppressed... all of those things applied to me...
but I also have about a million personality dissorders (the most severe of which is borderline...)

lbjshaq2345
post Aug 4 2005, 01:40 AM
Post #19

Lil JC

Member No: 145,741

Survey

x I am having irregular sleep patterns - either too much or too little.
x I have nagging aches and pains that do not get beter no matter what I do.
x I have trouble concentrating or making simple decisions.
x Others have commented on my mood or attitude lately.
x I have a family history of depression
x I have had several of the symptoms I checked above for more than two weeks

elmogurly
post Aug 4 2005, 04:03 AM
Post #20

GREEENROCKS

Member No: 10,624

wow. you must have taken a while to put that together! nicely done!

sheepy
post Aug 6 2005, 09:55 PM
Post #21

dizzy me up.

Member No: 11,139

thanks(:
i guess.. i used to have? oh well..

gOODpIRATE
post Aug 7 2005, 02:45 PM
Post #22

un cool.

Member No: 125,269

thank you. this is somthing that his been concerning me for a long time, but i didn't know where to go for...assistance...or more information about it. now this whole depression thing in beccomming a little bit more clear for me.

QUOTE(aznxboredxperson @ Jul 30 2005, 3:25 PM)

sort of... it burns time, and it keeps my mind off of things.

cheerbee07
post Aug 11 2005, 01:41 AM
Post #23

Break My Heart Again.

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 198,983

mmm...i had looked up some of this on my own when i started having suicidal feelings...very helpful to have it all in one place...i think i need to talk to my doctor sad.gif i hate going to the doctor lol..thanks again

PinkTrash
post Aug 19 2005, 11:47 PM
Post #24

lick me

Member No: 44,013

yeah, awhile ago i had a bit of a depression / emotional problem.. but its faded now :) lists reminded of myself thoe

callmesox047
post Aug 20 2005, 02:49 AM
Post #25

Member No: 26,877

same here, i even had to see a shrink and i was on anti depressants. im good now though wink.gif

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: