Reply to this topicStart new topic
Denial
TheSilenceInDict...
post Oct 4 2004, 03:19 PM
Post #1

Will write poetry for sex!

Group: Member
Member No: 600

This isn't one of my usual poetic pieces...I actually wrote this for an assignment a while back. Comments greatly appreciated.
---

Denial

I worked so hard to not be like them...to be like her. I'm sure most of us have that. We see the many flaws in our parents, and swear that when, god forbid anytime soon, we have kids of our own, we'd never do any of the things they do to us with them. We''ll be better than them, give them more freedom than they're giving us, and let them be their own person. At least, that's what I told myself. I would rise from their old-fashioned ways, and prove to them that all the things that make me who I am aren't so closely tied in with genetics. Hell, you can even say I thought myself better than them. My parents. I always questioned their methods and ways, but I simply just...wanted to stray far away from all that. I wanted to be different so I could set myself apart from them and be my own person, someone NOT like them. Doing something that would without a doubt give me their complete approval would be accepting their wants, their ways, and therefore drag me into following their footsteps. And I couldn't have that.

Piano. My mother loved it. Played it ever since she was four or so I believe. Prodigy? Not really sure. I remember she loved it, and would always play when I was little. She would start teaching me a bit, And soon enough we'd be doing little duets, whether it be performing for friends or family. She sort of forced it upon me. I think that I would have enjoyed it much more if she didn't. It would've felt more of my own choice, and I wouldn't be doing something just because it was expected and required. I started to hate it. I was doing something to only please her, and make her image a bit prettier for others. I was a tool, and I hated it. She forced me to take lessons. At first I sort of liked the idea...wasn't exactly enthusiastically jumping for joy, But there was some interest. Later on I would start to deny the ability to play piano. To admit I played was to admit being a tool, being in my mother's shadow, following right behind. So I set myself apart from it all. Go ahead and ask me if I play piano. Don't waste your time, because I don't.

melface
post Oct 4 2004, 03:22 PM
Post #2

cb=bullshit.

Member No: 3,793

I can REALLY relate to the first paragraph... Like... seriously... everything you've said I've thought before... but, I'm sure most people our age think this way...

The second paragraph just breaks me... sad.gif

rainnydaiis
post Oct 4 2004, 04:38 PM
Post #3

SOS Brigade!!

Member No: 47,775

wow... such a good one =P enjoyed it and i can relate.. i had to take piano too but.. i enjoyed it

TheSilenceInDict...
post Oct 4 2004, 05:02 PM
Post #4

I play Piano better than you. And I'll enjoy that. laugh.gif

I kid.

rainnydaiis
post Oct 4 2004, 05:03 PM
Post #5

SOS Brigade!!

lolz i quit piano and went to flute.. lolz =P

melface
post Oct 4 2004, 05:05 PM
Post #6

cb=bullshit.

Dude, flutes are so gay...

rainnydaiis
post Oct 4 2004, 05:32 PM
Post #7

SOS Brigade!!

QUOTE(omg_melface @ Oct 4 2004, 2:05 PM)
Dude, flutes are so gay...

ok... now i feel really sad... i play guitar too does that make u happy?

melface
post Oct 4 2004, 05:54 PM
Post #8

cb=bullshit.

QUOTE(rainnydaiis @ Oct 4 2004, 4:32 PM)
ok... now i feel really sad... i play guitar too does that make u happy?

yes!!!

rainnydaiis
post Oct 4 2004, 05:55 PM
Post #9

SOS Brigade!!

ok thought so i love guitar =P

lucky_clover
post Oct 5 2004, 05:39 PM
Post #10

don't worry, be happy~

Member No: 15,899

yeah.... my parents want me so they could impress their friends or people from there work.... it annoys me a lot.... i don't want people to seeing me as a brat who shows off a lot or obey their parents all the time.

TheSilenceInDict...
post Oct 5 2004, 10:12 PM
Post #11

Exactly. I believe we should be our own person, and not be a tool to boost the reputation of our parents.

imadorkabledxd
post Mar 18 2005, 12:20 PM
Post #12

Member No: 27,631

i think at least once in our life we're our parents tools. i believe that our parents force us to do things because they honestly want the best for us and they want to do what they couldn't do through us...

Teesa
post Mar 18 2005, 07:11 PM
Post #13

crushed.

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 20,026

gosh, how I can relate..wonderful work.

fameONE
post Mar 19 2005, 01:44 AM
Post #14

^_^

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 91,466

Excellent piece of prose.

*Azarel*
post Aug 9 2005, 03:14 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(MasteRxKiD @ Oct 5 2004, 8:12 PM)
Exactly. I believe we should be our own person, and not be a tool to boost the reputation of our parents.
Agreed; parents seem to want to live their dreams through their children at times - or even just push kids to become who they, the parents, are.

The last two sentences of this piece are saddening - cold, unfeeling. This piece may have been written as an assignment, but it's definitely something everyone feels. Well done.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: