Lounge VS News Forum, Something to think about
superstitious
post Aug 12 2008, 08:06 AM
Post #1

Tick tock, Bill

Group: Administrator
Member No: 333,948

I think we are faced with a choice -

Do we allow News items to be posted in the Lounge and have good conversations about recent events?

OR

Do we embrace our inner anal mod and move News items to the News Forum, where more than likely they will get 2 or 3 responses and sit there, dying a slow, painful death?

After you answer that, should we really, in all seriousness, keep the News Forum? There's been this concept of initiating more Lounge conversations for a long time now. Perhaps with a potential removal of the News Forum, we can infuse more conversations and thoughtful conversation into the Lounge. Are we being stubborn by keeping the News forum?

Just a few things to think about.

brooklyneast05
post Aug 12 2008, 09:26 AM
Post #2

I'm Jc

Group: Mentor
Member No: 437,556

i think everyone probably already knows my opinion on this.

i don't think we should kill off topics with thought provoking material and good content just so we can move them into a news section. like you said, we're always talking about bringing more thoughtful convo into the lounge. however when people do, it tends to get moved off somewhere else where it quickly stops getting responses shrug.gif i don't think order and organization need to be so high up on the priority scale when it comes to a forum like the lounge.

besides, if everyone would just be smart like me and hit "view new posts" instead of going to specific sections then they'd never know the difference ph34r.gif

The-March-Hare
post Aug 12 2008, 10:15 AM
Post #3

James killed the radio star.

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 589,855

To be honest, we probably could eliminate the News Forum altogether. I mean, a lot of the stuff that does get posted there isn't really hard news anyway. If we do keep it though, then the topics should be moved there. Either have it and use it, or not, but don't let's just leave it there to fester.

Sigh... it was such a good idea at the time.

*paperplane*
post Aug 12 2008, 10:43 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(The-March-Hare @ Aug 12 2008, 11:15 AM) *
To be honest, we probably could eliminate the News Forum altogether. I mean, a lot of the stuff that does get posted there isn't really hard news anyway. If we do keep it though, then the topics should be moved there. Either have it and use it, or not, but don't let's just leave it there to fester.

Sigh... it was such a good idea at the time.

Yeah, exactly.

At this rate, there are way too few meaningful topics without letting the news-related ones stay.

karmakiller
post Aug 12 2008, 01:55 PM
Post #5

DDR \\ I'm Dee :)

Member No: 384,020

I couldn't let my inner-mod take over and move the topics. It was really refreshing to see meaningful topics getting replies. Which is why I moved some of the News ones back to the Lounge. I don't see a problem in getting of the News forum shrug.gif I really don't know why people don't reply to the topics in those forums more often.

LoveToMySilas
post Aug 12 2008, 05:16 PM
Post #6

That's what she said.

Member No: 130,200

I wouldn't mind eliminating the News forum now that I see more and more people posting current events and news in the Lounge. Its true, it gets a lot of replies when its in the Lounge and then when its moved to the News forum or made in the News forum, it fails to get replies. shrug.gif I don't think anybody will really object to the bon voyage of the News forum.

superstitious
post Aug 12 2008, 06:33 PM
Post #7

Tick tock, Bill

Any objections to moving this on over to Feedback? I'd really love to get the community's views.

LoveToMySilas
post Aug 12 2008, 07:52 PM
Post #8

That's what she said.

Member No: 130,200

QUOTE(superstitious @ Aug 12 2008, 07:33 PM) *
Any objections to moving this on over to Feedback? I'd really love to get the community's views.
None. thumbsup.gif

superstitious
post Aug 13 2008, 08:30 AM
Post #9

Tick tock, Bill

Moved to Feedback

Hello everyone - if you could, please give feedback. =)

Gigi
post Aug 13 2008, 09:43 AM
Post #10

in a matter of time

Member No: 191,357

QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Aug 12 2008, 07:26 AM) *
besides, if everyone would just be smart like me and hit "view new posts" instead of going to specific sections then they'd never know the difference ph34r.gif

Totally agree. I never go to the subforums unless I'm looking for a specific topic. I always "View New Posts", and I'm pretty sure most of the regular members do the same. The location of the thread doesn't prevent me from replying - it's the content. Maybe, by nature, News topics are less interesting. So less people reply - it's not because it's labeled as "News", but purely because they are News, that makes them inactive. If that makes any sense.

But sometimes, I want to find a topic that I may have read in the News subforum. It would be pretty easy to find if such a subforum existed - however, if eliminated and included in the hubbub of the Lounge, it would take me a while to find such a topic. So, IMO, a little extra organization never hurt anybody.

So maybe eliminating the News section would be beneficial. But I think the pros (having it be more organized) outweigh the cons (inactivity that we're not even sure is caused by the location of the thread...and the anal-ness). And anyways, what's the big deal if we have a few slow subforums?

pandemonium
post Aug 13 2008, 12:14 PM
Post #11

the name's mario

Group: Official Member
Member No: 656,520

wtf, i didn't even knew we had a news forum

brooklyneast05
post Aug 13 2008, 12:32 PM
Post #12

I'm Jc

Member No: 437,556

QUOTE(Gigi @ Aug 13 2008, 09:43 AM) *
Totally agree. I never go to the subforums unless I'm looking for a specific topic. I always "View New Posts", and I'm pretty sure most of the regular members do the same.

i think you'd be surprised how many people don't do this though, even regular members. i made a topic about that one time, or someone did, and i was amazed at the amount of people who really navigate around to each sub forum shrug.gif

superstitious
post Aug 13 2008, 12:33 PM
Post #13

Tick tock, Bill

I'm a "new posts" person as well. I only took at sub forums specifically if I'm looking for a particular thread or subforum to post in.

Gigi
post Aug 13 2008, 12:35 PM
Post #14

in a matter of time

^ Exactly, me too!

We should do a poll to re-assess the situation. How many people really "View New Posts"?

Simba
post Aug 13 2008, 03:48 PM
Post #15

Photoartist

Member No: 399,390

QUOTE(superstitious @ Aug 12 2008, 08:06 AM) *
I think we are faced with a choice -

Do we allow News items to be posted in the Lounge and have good conversations about recent events?

OR

Do we embrace our inner anal mod and move News items to the News Forum, where more than likely they will get 2 or 3 responses and sit there, dying a slow, painful death?
Ha ha, that doesn't even sound like a serious question.

QUOTE(brooklyneast05 @ Aug 12 2008, 09:26 AM) *
i think everyone probably already knows my opinion on this.

i don't think we should kill off topics with thought provoking material and good content just so we can move them into a news section. like you said, we're always talking about bringing more thoughtful convo into the lounge. however when people do, it tends to get moved off somewhere else where it quickly stops getting responses shrug.gif i don't think order and organization need to be so high up on the priority scale when it comes to a forum like the lounge.

Cosign and word.

R.I.P. News forum

hi-C
post Aug 13 2008, 04:22 PM
Post #16

Amberific.

Member No: 29,772

I too love the "View New Posts" button. I've been using it a lot lately.

QUOTE(Gigi @ Aug 13 2008, 10:43 AM) *
But sometimes, I want to find a topic that I may have read in the News subforum. It would be pretty easy to find if such a subforum existed - however, if eliminated and included in the hubbub of the Lounge, it would take me a while to find such a topic. So, IMO, a little extra organization never hurt anybody.

So maybe eliminating the News section would be beneficial. But I think the pros (having it be more organized) outweigh the cons (inactivity that we're not even sure is caused by the location of the thread...and the anal-ness). And anyways, what's the big deal if we have a few slow subforums?
I don't know. I mean, locating topics is the whole reason for the search button, right? And eliminating the News forum, although it would be less organized, would be ultimately easier for moderation purposes (one less forum to check).

Gigi
post Aug 14 2008, 12:40 AM
Post #17

in a matter of time

^ The search button is pretty useless if you're looking for the "God" topic, as we are all probably familiar with if you've been in the Debate forum. blink.gif

hi-C
post Aug 14 2008, 07:53 AM
Post #18

Amberific.

Member No: 29,772

Oh. Yeah. I could see how that would be a problem.

Tung
post Aug 14 2008, 04:23 PM
Post #19

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

Member No: 65,593

I'm with JC on this. I never click on Subforums to check out new posts/threads. I always just hit "View New Posts". Hence the reason why I post in almost every subforum and not just a particular one.

So it doesn't really matter to me. Sorry I donn't have any input on this matter. ermm.gif

Simba
post Aug 14 2008, 09:11 PM
Post #20

Photoartist

Member No: 399,390

Sometimes I miss topics here and there going solely by "View New Posts," but I still wouldn't mind doing away with the News forum regardless.

Actually at this moment, the Debate forum looks so dead and dumb that anything that calls for any remotely stimulating debate might as well be done in The Lounge as well.

But that'd just be sad if the Debate forum went away. sad.gif Just sayin, I guess.

karmakiller
post Aug 14 2008, 10:43 PM
Post #21

DDR \\ I'm Dee :)

Member No: 384,020

I think the debate forum keeps things more organized. Sometimes there are News topic about something that is simular to what is being debated in a Debate topic, and so you don't have to go into a topic that involves a heated discussion.

I'm making it sound like the topics are in Debate so that people can avoid them pinch.gif

firechild
post Aug 14 2008, 10:45 PM
Post #22

BBM: 310ED181

Group: Member
Member No: 671,976

alot of the debate topics kind of go along with the news. it gets confusing sometimes

superstitious
post Aug 15 2008, 09:36 AM
Post #23

Tick tock, Bill

I would LOVE to keep the News subforum, I really would. The thing is, technically things should be moved if it's a news topic posted in The Lounge. However, I really like that the news related topics have stimulated some pretty good conversations in The Lounge. I'd rather have a great Lounge forum than a mediocre News Forum.

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: