2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Tampons - Everything you needed/Wanted to know, everything about tampons, how to insert, etc!
hotgirlkatie
post Jul 31 2008, 05:03 PM
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No: 668,359

Everything you wanted to know about tampons...

What is a tampon?

A tampon is, very simply, a cylinder of cotton or any absorbent material made to be inserted into the vagina during menstruation. Some have applicators, or tube like devices that are used to aid in the insertion into the vagina. Some have no applicator and are made to be inserted using your index finger.

Who can use tampons?

Any girl or woman that has begun to menstruate for the first time can use a tampon. You can use a tampon if you're a virgin, and it won't, no matter what anyone says, take away your virginity. Only having sex can do that. Only rarely, is anyone not able to use a tampon. If you're a virgin, you'll still be able to slip the tampon in the hole in the hymen (it has to have a hole, how else would blood be able to come out!?) And if you don't have a hymen (most girls' are broken by sports or activity long before sex), it may or may not be a little easier.

What are the different kinds of tampons and what about absorbency?

There are two basic types of tampons. Those that have an applicator, and those that don't. Of the ones that have the applicator, you have two choices: a plastic applicator or a cardboard applicator. All of the plastic applicators have a rounded and closed tip that completely surrounds the actual tampon, whereas cardboard applicators can be the same, or have the tampon exposed at the end acting as the tip. Most girls who are starting to use tampons for the first time side with the plastic applicator - they're a lot easier to get in!

The applicator is made up of two parts, the larger cylinder is the outer tube, which will be inserted into your vagina, and houses the tampon. The smaller tube the one with the string hanging out is used to push the tampon out of the outer tube and into your vagina. You push the small tube into the larger tube, and this releases the tampon.

As for absorbency, you have many to choose from: lite, regular, super, super plus, and ultra. Lites absorb the least amount (less than 6 grams) (5 grams equals one teaspoon).
Regulars absorb 6-9 grams, Supers absorb 9-12 grams, Super Plus absorb
12-15 grams, and Ultra absorb 15-18 grams. Choose a tampon based on your flow:
light= lites
medium/light=regular
medium/heavy=super
heavy=super plus
extra heavy=ultra.

The size of your tampon has nothing to do with the size of your
vagina. It's purely based on flow. Even virgins can use the largest size tampon right from the start and have no trouble. Remember, you need to use the smallest absorbency you can that can control your flow, which reduces the risk of TSS. The right absorbency is one that you can leave in for 4-6 hours. If in 4-6 hours your tampon leaks, change to the next higher absorbanyc. If you take out the tampon after 6 hours and there's still a lot of white fiber showing, change the the next lowest level. And never leave a tampon in for more than 8 hours. This increases the risk of TSS.

What is TSS, and how do I avoid it?

TSS, or Toxic Shock Syndrome, is caused by the common bacteria Staphylococcus aureus, which live harmlessly on the skin, in the nose, armpit, and vagina. In rare cases strains of these bacteria produce harmful toxins (poisons) that causee TSS. Anyone can get TSS, men, women, children, but about half the cases consist of women using tampons. This is due, speculation, to the tampon providing a breeding ground for the bacteria, and the longer you leave one in, the more harmful it can become, and same with absorbency. If you're using too high an absorbency, the tampon also becomes an easier breeding ground for the bacteria. Change your tampons at least every 8 hours, and use the lowest absorbency tampon possible to control your flow. There is no such thing as a TSS free tampon! TSS doesn't come form the tampon! - TSS comes from bacteria that's already in your vagina! Warning signs of TSS include: a sudden high fever, vomiting, a sunburn-like rash, diarrhoea, fainting or near fainting, muscle aches, dizziness, and confusion. If you have some of these symptoms and are using a tampon, remove it and consult your doctor ASAP!

Ok, so I know about tampons, now how to I insert one?

Tampon insertion is something that most girls will learn with time. The more you do it, the more comfortable you become, and the easier it is.

1. First, choose a tampon. If you're a beginner, it's a good idea to start out with a plastic applicator tampon. Slender or slim sizes are the best for first time users, and regular or lite absorbency can also help. However the size of the tampon doesn't have to do with the size of your vaginanonly with how heavy/light your period is. Most girls starting to use tampons find that the lite or regular absorbancies are easier, as the tampon is smaller around. I like Playtex Gentle Glide (you can get them in slender now) or Tampax Pearl.

2. Find a time when you have a moderate flow. When your flow is moderate, the tampon will slip in easier than if you have a light flow. Also, make sure that you have enough time, won't be bothered, and won't feel rushed. You want to be as comfortable and relaxed as possible.

3. Unwrap the tampon. Examine it, look it over. The petals on the end should be rounded. The string should be hanging out the bottom of the lower tube. Gently pull on the string to make sure that it's attached. You should also try practicing pushing the tampon out of the applicator. Hold onto the grip (the part at the bottom of the larger tube, it usually has some sort of ridges or somewhere to put your fingers. Hold the applicator with your thumb and middle finger so that the tip of the applicator is pointed toward you. Using your index finger, Push the small bottom tube into the larger tube (that larger tube contains the tampon)and see how the tampon is pushed out through the outer tube. Once you're familiar with what it looks like, how to hold it, and how it works, you're ready for insertion.

4. Take out a new tampon, unwrap it, and check it over. Get into a comfortable postition, either standing with your knees slightly bent and outward, standing with one leg up on the toilet or bathtub, or sitting on the toilet with knees spread apart. I like standing with my knees bent. RELAX. This is VERY KEY! If you are tense AT ALL, your vagina will tense up and it'll be harder to insert the tampon. Hold the tampon with your thumb and middle finger on the grip, with the tip aimed toward you and place the tip at the opening of your vagina. DO NOT PUSH THE SMALL TUBE YET!

5. Slowly guide the applicator into your vagina, by holding onto the grip rings not by pushing on the small tube. You want to keep going in until your fingers that are on the grip come in contact with your body. You want the entire outer tube to be inside, leaving only the grip part and the small tube outside. As you insert aim the tampon toward your lower back. You vagina slants up at about 45 degrees, so push the tampon up at an angle, not straigt up. Don't worry, you can't push too far. When the outer tube is completely inside, with only the grip and the small tube on the outside, you're ready to push the small tube.

6. Slowly push the small tube into the larger tube making sure you still are holding the grip at the opening of the vagina. One of the largest mistakes that most girls make when using tampons for the first time is that they take out the larger tube as they push the smaller one. You want to make sure that the larger tube doesn't come out at all as you push the small tube in. You want the tampon to end up at the top of your vagina (it can't get lost - there's nowhere for it to go) and not at the bottom near the outside. I can't stress this enough, as it was what I was doing wrong: make sure you hold the larger tube all the way in your body until the smaller tube is completely inside it. Only then, when the small tube is inside the large one, and the grip is the only thing (besides the string) that's outside of your body, should you begin to remove the applicator.

7. Slowly pull the applicator out at the same 45 degree angle you put it in. When it's out you should only have the string hanging outside of your body. You shouldn't be able to feel the tampon AT ALL. If it feels uncomfortable, you didn't push it in far enough. Remove this tampon and try again with a new one. It took me a couple to get it right, so don't worry if you have to try it a couple times.

8. Throw away the applicator, and wrapper, and that's it! You inserted a tampon!

To Remove:
Choose the same position you used to insert the tampon. Grasp the sting between your thumb and index finger, and pull steadily down at the same angle you inserted the tampon at. It should slide out easily. If it doesn't, it hasn't absorbed enough fluid yet. Either switch to a lower absorbency, or leave the next one in longer (no longer than 8 hours). You can check to see if it's time to change by just giving the string a gentle tug. If it stays in place, it's not yet time to change, but when it is time to change, you'll find it'll slide out easily.

Tips:

Use the smallest size tampon to start - regular or lite, slender or slim

Start out with a Plastic Applicator

Take your time and RELAX

Push it in at an angle so the tip is pointing to your lower back

Remember to hold the grip at the entrance to your vagina while you push the small tube. DON'T pull out the larger tube as you push the smaller one

Remove your tampon by pulling down at the same angle you used to insert it

Change every 4-6 hours. If you remove your tampon in this time and it has a lot of white fiber showing, switch to a lower absorbency (or leave it in longer) if it leaks in this time switch to the next higher absorbency.

Change at least every 8 hours.

Use the lowest absorbency you can.

Virgins can use tampons. And NO NO NO, using a tampon DOES NOT take away your virginity!

Hope this helps all you first timers. If you still have questions, please PM me. I'm seriously here to help!!!

ddddeadly
post Aug 5 2008, 09:08 PM
Post #2

Member No: 670,778

Is using tampons unhealthy?

towntown2
post Aug 5 2008, 09:57 PM
Post #3

Mais je ne l'aime pas

Member No: 108,135

^^ Only if you leave it in for too long.
If you don't change your tampons regularly, you might suffer Toxic Shock Syndrome.

Tomates
post Aug 5 2008, 10:00 PM
Post #4

poison

Group: Official Member
Member No: 629,020

tampons help for bloody noses.
Tried it out myself yesterday : D

Butterflyphoenix
post Aug 7 2008, 11:15 AM
Post #5

Member No: 659,586

^lol!! laugh.gif

Alisiabby94
post Aug 10 2008, 09:23 AM
Post #6

HOUSTATLANTAVEGAS

Member No: 483,256

QUOTE(Tomates @ Aug 5 2008, 10:00 PM) *
tampons help for bloody noses.
Tried it out myself yesterday : D

laugh.gif lol.

fire
post Aug 11 2008, 07:23 AM
Post #7

Member No: 523,843

Glorified plug.

hotgirlkatie
post Aug 13 2008, 08:02 AM
Post #8

Yes. You can use them as nun-chucks. But for maximum effect, you MUST get the plastic applicator kind and as big as possible. I personally reccommend the Kotex Super Plus. Those monsters will work great for protecting yourself from 'would-be' attackers and the like.

Just remember, you need TWO tampons at least for this to work. Three or four is better.

With two tampons, take them out of the wrapper. Find the removal strings dangling out of the smaller tube. Tie those strings securely together. Hold one tampon in your hand and flail the other about wildly.

With three, tie all three together at the same point. Now you have a wicked throwing device capable of knocking anyone out at 50 paces or less.

If you are a heavy bleeder, and happen to have four tampons, tie two together for your right hand, and two together for your left. Now you can release a fury of PMS style attacks on anyone and anything that is willing to challenge you. But do remember that if you are going to do this sort of attack, DON'T take midol before. You wouldn't want some of the rage-causing pains of cramps to subside; you want maximum anger and distress.

And also, if you find yourself injured in the rage that you release, simply untie the nun-chucks, grasp the applicator with your thumb and middle finger on the grip rings, point the tip toward the injury or wound, relax your muscles, and push the bottom tube up into the top one. This will release the tampon which will absorb the blood. But only hold it on the injury for a maximum of 8 hours. You wouldn't want to get TSS.

Also, don't confuse blood from a nun-chuck battle induced injury with blood from your period. If it is blood from your period, well, you do have a tampon with you, so you can follow the instructions outlined in my first post.

Thx! Katie

karmakiller
post Aug 13 2008, 10:48 AM
Post #9

DDR \\ I'm Dee :)

Group: Mentor
Member No: 384,020

LOL I don't think tampons are intended as weapons, but you could probably take an eye out.

LoveToMySilas
post Aug 13 2008, 02:58 PM
Post #10

That's what she said.

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 130,200

Man, I wish I had this when I was first trying to use one 2 years ago and forgot to take out the dispenser...

towntown2
post Aug 13 2008, 05:22 PM
Post #11

Mais je ne l'aime pas

I'm still a little scared about actually using one, though.
I know I'm gonna need to soon cause pads aren't cool.
They're hard to hide.
Pads make me walk funny, too.
>.<

hotgirlkatie
post Aug 19 2008, 11:04 AM
Post #12

QUOTE(towntown2 @ Aug 13 2008, 05:22 PM) *
I'm still a little scared about actually using one, though.
I know I'm gonna need to soon cause pads aren't cool.
They're hard to hide.
Pads make me walk funny, too.
>.<

It won't be that bad. Just make sure that you have LOTS of time. Try to find a time when no one else is home or around.

And yes, tampons are much easier to conceal

Tomates
post Aug 19 2008, 11:12 AM
Post #13

poison

Member No: 629,020

QUOTE(banhbao @ Aug 13 2008, 03:48 PM) *
lol. uh, That Amanda Bynes movie? She's the Man or something?

lol yeah. Tried it out myself though once and it works like a charm.

paolabear20
post Aug 19 2008, 09:39 PM
Post #14

[pandemonium] :3

Group: Human
Member No: 671,107

OMG, my first time with a tampon was horrible.
I joined waterpolo this last school year and I got my period
and I didn't know what to do. Someone let me borrow one and there were a few girls outside the bathroom stall giving me tips and omg, I felt so uncomfortable.

I didn't like it.
The coach (girl, thank God) understood that I wasn't a big fan of tampons and I got to be assistant coach at the next match, since it was the next day. lol.

Blyat
post Aug 19 2008, 09:52 PM
Post #15

Member No: 667,832

QUOTE(karmakiller @ Aug 13 2008, 11:48 AM) *
LOL I don't think tampons are intended as weapons, but you could probably take an eye out.

uhh yeah they are, one tiem this boy was annoying me and i threw a tampon on him and he ran off a lot of girls did that too that day :D

towntown2
post Aug 20 2008, 08:08 PM
Post #16

Mais je ne l'aime pas

Okay.
I went to the Korean market today and sneaked away to buy some tampons.
They only had ones with the cardboard applicator.
I went home with the regular sized Tampax.

They won't fit.
I was as relaxed as possible, and they still won't fit.
I must've gone through at least six of them.

Next time I find myself at a grocery store, maybe I'll get the lites.

hotgirlkatie
post Aug 21 2008, 01:00 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(towntown2 @ Aug 20 2008, 08:08 PM) *
Okay.
I went to the Korean market today and sneaked away to buy some tampons.
They only had ones with the cardboard applicator.
I went home with the regular sized Tampax.

They won't fit.
I was as relaxed as possible, and they still won't fit.
I must've gone through at least six of them.

Next time I find myself at a grocery store, maybe I'll get the lites.

I've always had that problem with the cardboard applicator ones. For some reason, the fact that the tampon sticks out of the end makes it difficult to insert - i think it like aborbs the 'lubrication' as it goes it which makes it harder to insert. plus, i can never really hold onto those cardboard applicators... i squish them and it makes it harder.

try to find plastic ones. even if you have to order online. or try putting some water based lubricant on the cardboard ones.

towntown2
post Aug 21 2008, 01:21 PM
Post #18

Mais je ne l'aime pas

I don't like the wide end of the cardboard applicator ones.
I've seen ones with the plastic applicator, and it seems that their pointed end would enter easier.

HeartOfPandora
post Aug 21 2008, 02:13 PM
Post #19

i like boobies, yes I do. I like boobies - how 'bout you?

Member No: 662,457

Dude.
There is no way.
I'm shoving something.
Like that.
In my vagina.

*cringe*

I have issues with tampons... -_-

fairytale-magic
post Dec 6 2008, 01:55 AM
Post #20

SNOW TACO.

Member No: 603,770

Same. I'm kind of.. actually, really afraid of a wad of cotton in my vagina thanks to the scarring grade four incident where our teacher SHOWED us just how big tampons will get, if soaked in a glass of water.

Horrifying for a nine year old.

Gigi
post Dec 6 2008, 02:04 AM
Post #21

in a matter of time

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 191,357

QUOTE(HeartOfPandora @ Aug 21 2008, 11:13 AM) *
Dude.
There is no way.
I'm shoving something.
Like that.
In my vagina.

*cringe*

I have issues with tampons... -_-

lol, somebody's going to a virgin forever.

Tampons aren't that bad at all. Okay, if you're going to try to use one without an applicator and the HEAVY kind the first time around, you're going to encounter some troubles.

Personally I feel that the most important thing is the applicator and also, the angle in which you use it. DON'T put it "straight up", always put it in at a 45 degree angle. If you don't, it'll still go in, but you'll definitely feel it.

fire
post Dec 6 2008, 07:55 AM
Post #22

Member No: 523,843

QUOTE(hotgirlkatie @ Aug 14 2008, 12:02 AM) *
Yes. You can use them as nun-chucks. But for maximum effect, you MUST get the plastic applicator kind and as big as possible. I personally reccommend the Kotex Super Plus. Those monsters will work great for protecting yourself from 'would-be' attackers and the like.

Just remember, you need TWO tampons at least for this to work. Three or four is better.

With two tampons, take them out of the wrapper. Find the removal strings dangling out of the smaller tube. Tie those strings securely together. Hold one tampon in your hand and flail the other about wildly.

With three, tie all three together at the same point. Now you have a wicked throwing device capable of knocking anyone out at 50 paces or less.

If you are a heavy bleeder, and happen to have four tampons, tie two together for your right hand, and two together for your left. Now you can release a fury of PMS style attacks on anyone and anything that is willing to challenge you. But do remember that if you are going to do this sort of attack, DON'T take midol before. You wouldn't want some of the rage-causing pains of cramps to subside; you want maximum anger and distress.
And also, if you find yourself injured in the rage that you release, simply untie the nun-chucks, grasp the applicator with your thumb and middle finger on the grip rings, point the tip toward the injury or wound, relax your muscles, and push the bottom tube up into the top one. This will release the tampon which will absorb the blood. But only hold it on the injury for a maximum of 8 hours. You wouldn't want to get TSS.

Also, don't confuse blood from a nun-chuck battle induced injury with blood from your period. If it is blood from your period, well, you do have a tampon with you, so you can follow the instructions outlined in my first post.

Thx! Katie

Epic post.

*cakedout*
post Dec 7 2008, 06:39 PM
Post #23

what if you have an extremely wide vagina, which tampon would you suggest?

karmakiller
post Dec 7 2008, 07:22 PM
Post #24

DDR \\ I'm Dee :)

Group: Mentor
Member No: 384,020

^ A wide tampon. Or double up thumbsup.gif

RAWRstephishere
post Dec 7 2008, 07:41 PM
Post #25

Member No: 505,785

I wish I would have read this before I starting using tampons. Very helpful.

Heres a tip if you cant find the hole- use a mirror, I found this helpful when I first started using tampons.

Also, you can pee with a tampon in.

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: