Reply to this topicStart new topic
ACT or SAT?, a comparison of the both standardized tests.
sprezzatura
post Apr 4 2007, 07:51 PM
Post #1

Peggy.

Group: Member
Member No: 214,025

Q: What is the difference between the SAT and ACT?
A: Well, they are both standardized tests, and they both factor into the college admissions process. The ACT is an achievement test, measuring what a student has learned in school. On the other hand, the SAT is more of an aptitude test, testing reasoning and verbal qualities.

SAT Reasoning Test

Basic registration fee: $41.50
Extra score report (in addition to the 4 provided): $9.50

When is it administered:
7 times per year

Test Structure:
10-section exam with 3 critical reading, 3 math, 3 writing, and 1 experimental.

Test Content:
Critical Reading [70 min. (two 25-min. sections and one 20-min. section) all multiple choice]
-reading comprehension
-sentence completions
-paragraph-length critical reading

Mathematics [70 min. (two 25-min. sections and one 20-min. section) multiple choice and student produced responses]
-number and operations
-algebra and functions
-geometry
-statistics
-probability
-data analysis
It only tests mathematics up to 9th grade basic Geometry and Algebra 2.

Writing [total 60 min. with Multiple choice questions (35 min.) and student-written essay (25 min.)]
Essay: organize and express ideas clearly, develop and support the main idea, use appropriate word choice and sentence structure
Multiple Choice: improve sentences and paragraphs, identify errors (such as diction, grammar, sentence construction, subject-verb agreement, proper word usage, and wordiness)

Each section is graded in the scale from 200 to 800. The highest cumulative score is 2400. 1 point is given to each correct answer and 0.25 point is deducted for each wrong answer. The experimental section is unscored and it is just a tryout of new questions for future editions of the SAT test.

Score reporting: If a student requests a score report be sent to specific colleges, the report will include the scores the student received on every SAT taken.

The exams could also be used for scholarship purposes.

For more information, visit the College Board website.

ACT (American College Testing)

Basic registration fee: $29.00
5th and 6th college choices: +$8.00 each
Writing test: $14.00

When is it administered:
6 times per year

Test Structure:
4-section exam on English, Math, Reading, and Science Reasoning. The Writing test is optional but it is usually required for college admissions.

Test Content:
English (75 multiple choice questions, 45 minutes)
Measures standard written English and rhetorical skills.
-punctuation
-grammar and usage
-sentence structure
-strategy
-organization
-style

Mathematics (60 multiple choice questions, 60 minutes)
Measuring mathematical skills students have typically acquired in courses taken up to the beginning of grade 12.
-pre-algebra
-elementary algebra
-intermediate algebra
-coordinate geometry
-plane geometry
-trigonometry
It tests all math courses up to Trigonometry (which is a Pre-Calculus, at my school, usually this course is taken at 11th grade level).

Reading (40 multiple choice questions, 35 minutes)
Measures reading comprehension.
Passages based on:
-social studies: anthropology, archaeology, biography, business, economics, education, geography, history, political science, psychology, and sociology
-natural sciences: anatomy, astronomy, biology, botany, chemistry, ecology, geology, medicine, meteorology, microbiology, natural history, physiology, physics, technology, and zoology
-prose fiction: intact short stories or excerpts from short stories or novels
-humanities: architecture, art, dance, ethics, film, language, literary criticism, music, philosophy, radio, television, and theater

Science (40 multiple choice, 35 minutes)
Measures the interpretation, analysis, evaluation, reasoning, and problem-solving skills required in the natural sciences.
-data representation: graph reading, interpretation of scatter plots, and interpretation of information presented in tables, diagrams, and figures
-research summaries: design of experiments and the interpretation of experimental results
-conflicting viewpoints: differing premises or on incomplete data, are inconsistent with one another, the understanding, analysis, and comparison of alternative viewpoints or hypotheses

Writing (30 minute essay)
Measures writing skills emphasized in high school English classes and in entry-level college composition courses.
-one writing prompt that will define an issue and describe two points of view on that issue

The test is scored in the scale 1 to 36 for each subject and the scores are averaged for a composite score. 36 is the highest possible composite score.

Score reports: There is a "Score Choice" option. Students can choose which schools will receive their schores and which scores the schools will see.

The test could also be used for scholarship purposes and certain statewide testing programs.

Fore more information, visit the ACT website.

My Opinion

The SAT could be easier or harder than ACT depending on your own strengths and weaknesses. Choose the test that you think you would score higher on. Actually, you can take both tests to see which one you score better on, but it just costs more money.

You all can reply to this post with more questions, information, or feedback about the ACT and the SAT. _smile.gif

kimmytree
post Apr 4 2007, 09:13 PM
Post #2

Kimberly

Member No: 121,599

I've only taken practice test versions of both, but for me, the ACT seemed easier. I scored alot lower actually on the SAT. But I guess it really does depend on the person.

HakunaMatata
post Apr 5 2007, 12:05 AM
Post #3

Home is where your rump rests!

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 451,969

I've never looked into the ACT and never took it at all seriously; this was awesome. Great job! It's been added the Subject Resources. _smile.gif

think!IMAGINARIL...
post Apr 5 2007, 12:44 PM
Post #4

Member No: 761

Which test is better for someone who's more oriented in math and science? I'm guessing the ACT >.>
So is the SAT better for someone who's more oriented in language arts?

Kim3rz
post Apr 5 2007, 01:33 PM
Post #5

Eastcoast Andy

Member No: 445,471

QUOTE(rawr SOCK @ Apr 5 2007, 11:44 AM) *
Which test is better for someone who's more oriented in math and science? I'm guessing the ACT >.>

I think so. I took the SAT and scored way higher in the Language Arts section (essay, vocab, multiple choice) than I did in the math section.
But that's because I suck at math, so I don't know how the test went for everyone else.

sprezzatura
post Apr 5 2007, 06:06 PM
Post #6

Peggy.

QUOTE(rawr SOCK @ Apr 5 2007, 10:44 AM) *

That's just like me! I am good at math and science but I screwed up English pretty badly on the PSAT. pinch.gif
But the science section of the ACT isn't really science, it's more like analyzing experimental data.

*onewaysalcha*
post Apr 5 2007, 07:29 PM
Post #7

ACT science = analyzing charts and experimental data.

much2muse
post Apr 8 2007, 05:53 PM
Post #8

RJL<3

Member No: 71,019

It's ridiculous the amount of time they give you. stubborn.gif Or don't give you.
I personally would do so much better if I had time to really think about things.

I'm best at math and english, but the PSAT was confusing to me because i wasn't sure what questions to answer and what ones to leave blank wink.gif

Mulder
post Apr 8 2007, 05:56 PM
Post #9

i lost weight with Mulder!

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 79,019

the ACT was a lot easier for me to prepare for, and i scored a lot higher on it. I got a 32 (out of 36). my SAT scores sucked though.

sprezzatura
post Apr 9 2007, 02:52 PM
Post #10

Peggy.

QUOTE(xxamandajanexx @ Apr 8 2007, 3:53 PM) *
It's ridiculous the amount of time they give you. stubborn.gif Or don't give you.
I personally would do so much better if I had time to really think about things.

I'm best at math and english, but the PSAT was confusing to me because i wasn't sure what questions to answer and what ones to leave blank wink.gif

Oh yeah, I totally hate that SAT requires...strategy too. I am stuck between...guessing or leaving it blank. pinch.gif

kimmytree
post Apr 9 2007, 07:19 PM
Post #11

Kimberly

Member No: 121,599

QUOTE(Mulder @ Apr 8 2007, 6:56 PM) *
the ACT was a lot easier for me to prepare for, and i scored a lot higher on it. I got a 32 (out of 36). my SAT scores sucked though.

Yeah, I was the same way with the practice versions. Two years ago I scored a 26 I think on the ACT, but only in the 400's on the SAT. Lol that was awhile ago, so I'm hoping I've learned more since then. pinch.gif

HakunaMatata
post Sep 10 2007, 11:25 PM
Post #12

Home is where your rump rests!

Member No: 451,969

The deadline to sign up for the October 6th SAT is TODAY, it's not too late for West Coasters or Hawaiians, but if you haven't, do it nowwwww. And in the future, do it earlier. Don't be like me right now. Don't do it three hours before. Please. SRSLY.

JustAnotherTeena...
post Sep 11 2007, 06:49 PM
Post #13

-Officially Insane-

Member No: 117,293

I'm going to be taking the PSAT for the third time soon and then the ACT in December. PSAT is okay, not extremely difficult...I've also tried sample questions for ACT online and it seems a lot easier.

YaGurlSukedMe2SL...
post Sep 11 2007, 07:00 PM
Post #14

muhfucka yo mama's a bitch

Group: Banned
Member No: 506,674

Take the ACT, seriously, mofo.

Relentless
post Sep 16 2007, 11:48 PM
Post #15

sang loves hayden.

Member No: 5,687

My teachers say ACT is easier than the SAT. SAT is more critical.

*CowerPointyObjects*
post Sep 22 2007, 11:59 PM
Post #16

I found the SAT easier, but I was definitely in the minority. The science section suuuuuuucked and gave me a headache, because that's just not the way I think. The math was easier, but more arithmetic based, which I kind of suck at. The reading had simpler questions, but more science-based prompts, which annoy me. However, the essay was really easy, and I liked having it last. I didn't actually bother submitting my ACT score anywhere, because it was decent but nothing special, and the SAT was more impressive.

quietlove
post Sep 29 2007, 12:25 PM
Post #17

what is your problem with hard to believe?

Member No: 534,877

Personally I think the SAT was a lot harder, mostly because it's composed of a bunch of trick questions. Especially math. The math itself is simple- you don't need a calculator at all, really, it's just junior high math. It's more a test of critical thinking than mathematical skill. They want to trick you, make you think you have the right answer when you really don't- you've still got more steps. I got a 630. >.< English and Writing aren't that difficult in comparison, however. I got in the seven hundreds for both of those.

The ACT is easy. There aren't any tricks. Just straight-forward information. I got a 32, which is good, I guess.

Tung
post Sep 29 2007, 01:13 PM
Post #18

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

Member No: 65,593

I never took the ACT. But from what i heard, ACT is much easier than the SATS

PINKLollyPOP
post Sep 29 2007, 01:14 PM
Post #19

Member No: 541,232

i took both... and i thought the sat was easier.

*CowerPointyObjects*
post Sep 29 2007, 08:27 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(quietlove @ Sep 29 2007, 01:25 PM) *
The ACT is easy. There aren't any tricks. Just straight-forward information. I got a 32, which is good, I guess.

I think I'm better at things that aren't straight-forward. I got a 26, which is pretty bad in comparison to my SAT scores. And, you know, pretty damn mediocre period. But to be fair, it was mainly that low from the science section.

annalucky
post Sep 29 2007, 08:39 PM
Post #21

Lurker.

Member No: 3,851

The ACT scores differently from the SAT. For example, if you have a weakness in math, it's advise that you take the ACT because math only counts for 1/4 of your score but for the SAT counts for 1/3 of your total score.

xtrancie
post Oct 4 2007, 06:05 PM
Post #22

stop staring >_>

Member No: 455,389

my SAT is in 2 days. i am soo fuhreaking scare >_<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: