VOTING <----------Writing Contest # 2
KissMe2408
post Mar 23 2006, 07:25 PM
Post #1

Yawn

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 65,772

Welcome to the Voting thread of the 2nd Createblog Writing Contest

*A big thank you to the 5 people that entered this time around!
All of your entries were wonderful, and I was happy to get to know some
of you through this happy.gif The time, energy, and creativity that you put into
this is greatly appreciated.

RULES
(1)You may only vote for 1 in each Contest. So 1 vote for the Creative Contest, and 1 vote in the Mini Contest. You're not required to vote for both, but it would really help out. Remember they are seperate contests, so be sure to indicate which contest you are voting for! [Please vote for both though! lol]
(2)You may leave comments also if you wish.
(3)Sorry but the writers names won't appear with the poems.
(4)Winners will put put into Createblog's Writing Hall of Fame
(5)You Steal any of these lovely pieces, you die!
(6)This thread will close on March 30th.

[TIP] Remember this is a "creative" writing contest. When you judge these, remember to judge with creativity as well!

ENTRIES FOR CREATIVE WRITING CONTEST.

( 1 )
"He was ambitious even in his earliest years. It was plain for everyone to see – he was the little four year-old with an insatiable desire to differ – to understand the norms and mores of those around him and to vary accordingly. It was indelibly written in his determined, grungy little face with bulldog certainty. He was born into a town of scarcely fifty people and they called it Genuine, Arkansas – the “home of good morals and good steak,” as the sign at the city’s entrance proudly proclaimed. To the residents of this relatively unimportant hole in the wall, his ambition carried the most positive of connotations. It was a godsend; a characteristic that, for decades, was undeniably absent in an area so desiccated of any attention whatsoever.

As he aged, the moon grew dimmer and dimmer, until one evening it seemed as though he’d lost that spectral incandescence forever. The moon had always been dear to him, for it was that beautiful sphere in the sky that never forgot to send an ethereal, gentle glint of light through his window – it never ceased to send a beam of heavenly white to paint the portrait of his mother in the unfriendly darkness of his room. It was the smallest picture of her, and the only one he had, but it rested on his desk every evening waiting for the moon to breathe verve into it; waiting for its chance to be seen. He wished so often, resting his head on a soaked pillow, amidst tears and uneasy slumber, that his mother had survived that crash – that his father’s judgment wasn’t clouded by vodka and tonic.

He loved his father, but to no avail. The arid summer heat wafted unscathed through the usually breezy evenings the night the moon burned out like an overused light bulb. Abashed by the sound of a cracking door, he knew what was happening. His father, after several failed attempts, barreled through it with drunken ease.
“You’re gonna’ get it tonight, you ungrateful little shit,” his father said.

His father’s breath was hot and putrid, paralleling his ugly personality. As his father staggered toward his bed in an alcohol-induced rage, the young man caught a glimpse of his mother’s smiling face, happy and warm from its lunar bath. For her, for everything he couldn’t remember from his time with her, for every aching tear that plunged to his pillow in importunate fashion, he scrambled for the closest and sharpest object in sight. The scissors pierced his father’s neck with ineffable tenacity. His father’s eyes widened and his noise silenced – he was frozen in immediate pensive sobriety, as if he was observing the calm before the storm. For the first time ever, the moon did not shine, for it had, it would be shining upon the face of an unworthy murderer – his father’s.

He went on a long walk that evening to places he and his mother used to go: to a familiar lake, to a gazebo in the town square, to the boat docks. And as he let his legs dangle over the water and he tossed pebbles onto its surface, his mother screwed in a new light bulb and that illusive, striking moon made a most welcome return. Sighs of relief, sounds of small pebbles splashing, and existentialism floated into the air of a once again breezy, illuminated evening in Genuine, Arkansas."

(2)
It's A Random Day
----
I ate peanut butter and mayonaise sandwich today because I felt like it. I also wore red socks with my blue and white checked shoes because I felt like it. It's a genuine, fantastic, lovely, random day today. Random feelings, random conversations, random strangers... Random views of the moon even!
I tell you, it's a random day. Do you want to know why it's a random day? Do you? Well, it's because I cut my hair this morning. Yup, I just grabbed the scissors and chopped off that curtain of hair before my eyes. That's why it happens to be the most genuine, fantastic, lovely, random day today.

(3)
Tuesday July 11th in the fashion district of New York City, a single light glowed through the window of thick glass on the 8th floor of the Landis Building. Elise Riley looked up from her work table at the loud thud of a door slamming somewhere far off in the building. She was working late on new designs to present to her boss, Jeannine, for the Ellis-Ashton fall line. Aubrey Ellis-Ashton, the head of the company, was looking for a new look to walk the runway. While nervous, Elise was also cool headed, she knew that her designs stood a fighting chance. They did, however, need some work. She looked up at the clock and read it as 10:30 PM. She cupped her neck, rubbing it as tiredly as any one would after having craned it many times throughout the day to examine such artistry as done in the Landis Building, and again lowered her eyes to continue her work.

An hour later, the guard, Marco, came upstairs and said, "Ms. Riley, we've got special orders from the boss to lock it up." His face held an expression of genuine concern as he looked over her. "You really shouldn't stay so late, it's dangerous to be out in the city at night." Elise smiled and nodded, sliding her sketches into her briefcase, meticulously putting away her pencils. "I know, but there's so much work I need to do. I'll probably be here this late for the next two weeks. Jeannine really thinks I'll get this, but why does she want everyone out?" Marco shrugged and waited. She stood, tucking loose clumps of chocolate brown hair behind her ears, then pushing her chair in, and flicking off her lamp. She walked past Marco at the door and accepted gratefully when he offered to walk her out to her car.

The next day everyone was buzzing about the news. "Jeannine got the Lynda Merle job." Elise smiled and nodded, and continued to work on her designs. She wasn't sad about Merle. She'd been working with a partner and it hadn't gone well; they'd argued constantly. She hadn't even gone to the presentation; she'd been sick and the day before they were scheduled to present their designs her partner, Elena, had been fired for some sort of conflict with one of the bosses. Elise didn't know which one. It didn't seem to matter. She was happy for Jeannine. She left the building that night with a feeling about what she wanted to do. As she walked out to her car the seven o'clock moon seemed have a glow that mirrored the way she felt. She was focused on the Ellis-Ashton prize.

Two weeks later in the midday light, during every one's lunch break. Elise was downstairs selecting fabrics. In her absence, someone slipped into Elise's work space and started rummaging through her papers. Camouflaged beneath folders and two sets of heavy scissors, she found the designs that would win the Ellis-Ashton presentation. Slipping a camera out of her jacket pocket, she photographed Elise's designs and then put them back into her desk drawer. She turned and walked back down the isle toward the elevator to go get some food. Her jacket folded over her arm, she turned a corner and was sent backward. Looking up she realized she'd run into Marco the guard. "Hello Ms. Jeannine." "Hello…" She couldn't remember his name; she didn't care. "Help me up, please." "Yes, Ms. Jeannine."

The next day, Elise got her models dressed and sent them up the elevator to runway floor and had them go behind the wall to wait until they were called. She sat down, beaming in confidence with the other designers and waited for the representative from Ellis-Ashton to arrive. Little did she know that the dream she had was about to be nipped in the butt. Or so it would seem, anyway. At two o'clock, when Jeannine's model got off the elevator stationed behind the wall, Elise's model, Clara took one look the girl's clothes and decided that she had better tell Elise. But there was no way she could get to Elise without causing a ton of ruckus. A model's job was to do as she was told to do and look pretty doing it. So, she tried to send one of the makeup artists out to find her, but there was no time. "The rep is here. Get in line ladies."

(4)
It is such a lovely night. The light breeze touches my face so gently. I have to close my eyes to really enjoy it. The sound of the trees whistling is like music to my ears. I love being alone with him in this room. Usually we both like to spend time just gazing at the beautiful moon from our window.

Tonight he is different. He has been sitting there on the bed and he has been asking me the same question over and over again. I don’t want to upset him but I really do not want to do it. I am not ready for it yet. I do not want to do it and not put my heart and soul in it. I know I have been attending a course about it but he deserves the best and I don’t want to be a disappointment to him. I want to be genuine about doing it. I know that once it is done, it is going to be the best thing that I have ever done for him. He will be so proud of me, he will tell all his friends about it.

I look at him. He has these puppy eyes. It is so hard to resist. How do I tell him? I took a deep breath and start to walk over to him. He must have sense that I was uncomfortable. Finally, he got up, reached for the scissors and said:

“Now can you please cut my hair?”

ENTRIES FOR MINI CONTEST

(1)
Beautiful Happiness

Oh, how wonderful
How wonderful you make me feel
I might not be a poet who's words are beautiful
But the beauty of you is quite an ordeal

You remind me of the sun
Enlightening those too blind to see
That the beauty of life is it's fun
Because of you, beautiful happiness is my esprit

A friend, a soul mate
To you I turn to
This beautiful partnership must be fate
With you, I will never be through

Your love as fulfilling as ending a horrible strife
Brings to me, a beautiful happy life.

(2)
Beauty

What does beauty mean?
To have perfect lips and flawless skin?
Is it really necessary to be thin?
Isnt beauty found deep within?

Let me tell you my defination of beauty
She must have her own principles
Not be swayed by uncertainty
Not feel like she is someone helpless

She is so beautiful to me, cant you see
I am attracted to her unique quality
She never fails to make me glee
She is just filled with humility

Just like a flower blooming in spring
Will I ever find the courage to give her this ring?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Remember the "Creative Writing" and "Mini Contest" are seperate!!
BE SURE TO VOTE IN BOTH CATAGORIES!

talcumpowder
post Mar 23 2006, 07:34 PM
Post #2

You'll find me in your dreams.

Group: Official Member
Member No: 114,010

1 and 2. That's for the first and second contest.

kissme2408 edit:

Creative Contest Entry Vote: # 1
Mini Contest Entry Vote : # 2

^It might be easier writing it like that guys. So Katie doesn't feel stupid :)

IceCream4U
post Mar 23 2006, 07:49 PM
Post #3

victim of myspace.com

Group: Member
Member No: 386,435

Creative Contest: #2
Mini-Contest: #1

*Libertie*
post Mar 23 2006, 07:51 PM
Post #4

1 for the creative writing contest, 2 for the mini contest. _smile.gif

xOpRiNcEsSpReTTy
post Mar 23 2006, 07:57 PM
Post #5

(::()::)

Member No: 386,150

#2. (creative)
#2. (mini)

Retrogressive
post Mar 23 2006, 08:11 PM
Post #6

Don't wake ghostie.

Member No: 2,405

Good luck everyone!!

Neamento
post Mar 23 2006, 08:28 PM
Post #7

Member No: 384,566

Creative Contest Entry Vote: # 3
Mini Contest Entry Vote : - Not voting -

*CrackedRearView*
post Mar 23 2006, 08:36 PM
Post #8

Creative Contest: #3
Mini-Contest: #2

RiddleMeWonders
post Mar 23 2006, 08:57 PM
Post #9

fell in love with a boy

Member No: 16,965

Creative Contest #4 *because I totally did not expect that*
Minicontest #2 *what an awesome definition of beauty*

hi-C
post Mar 23 2006, 11:01 PM
Post #10

Amberific.

Member No: 29,772

Creative Contest Entry Vote: # 1
Mini Contest Entry Vote: I abstain.

Teesa
post Mar 23 2006, 11:30 PM
Post #11

crushed.

Member No: 20,026

Creative--#4
Mini--#2

This is fun! I'm definitely going to participate in the next one :)

annalucky
post Mar 24 2006, 12:25 AM
Post #12

Lurker.

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 3,851

Creative - I My vote goes to #1.

For the Mini contest, my vote goes to number 2.

noi_rocker
post Mar 24 2006, 05:34 AM
Post #13

Member No: 95,629

Wow awesome entries.

My vote:
Creative Contest: #1
Mini-Contest: #2

Paradox of Life
post Mar 24 2006, 05:09 PM
Post #14

My name's Katt. Nice to meet you!

Member No: 93,674

Creative: 1
Mini: 2

xosteffanator
post Mar 24 2006, 05:15 PM
Post #15

Member No: 174,796

contest 1: #1
contest 2: #2

oXMuhNirvanaXo
post Mar 24 2006, 05:19 PM
Post #16

Member No: 85,903

4 and 2

kissme2408 edit-

Creative Contest: 4
Mini Contest: 2

illumineering
post Mar 24 2006, 06:40 PM
Post #17

I love Havasupai

Member No: 163,878

creative #1

mini #2

much2muse
post Mar 25 2006, 05:34 PM
Post #18

RJL<3

Member No: 71,019

Creative Contest: #4
Mini Contest: #2

racoons > you
post Mar 25 2006, 06:55 PM
Post #19

Another ditch in the road... you keep moving

Member No: 85,152

number two for both.

Anielka
post Mar 26 2006, 06:37 PM
Post #20

mac & zee.

Member No: 376,265

1 for creative, 2 for mini.

But I must say, # 4 for creative was quite hilarious.

juliar
post Mar 27 2006, 05:43 PM
Post #21

3,565, you n00bs ain't got nothin' on me.

Member No: 3,565

creative: #3
mini: #2.

#4 for creative was really funny.

AngelinaTaylor
post Mar 28 2006, 06:06 PM
Post #22

daughter of sin

Member No: 386,134

Creative - #1
Mini - I honestly don't know.. sorry :\

Taylor``

*Zatanna*
post Mar 28 2006, 06:12 PM
Post #23

Creative - #1
Mini - #2

Wonderful job everyone!

KissMe2408
post Mar 29 2006, 12:35 AM
Post #24

Yawn

Member No: 65,772

I should probably put in my vote now as well:

Creative: 3

Mini: 2

---------------------------------------

Thanks to everyone that helped with the judging,
and a big thanks to those that entered!
This thread is closed now, i'm really happy with the results.

I should post up the results on who won and all by tomorrow.
So keep checking the Writing Contest Hall of Fame!!!
Remember, the winners get really pretty buttons that Madame C is making :)
Be sure to show them off in your sigs :)

-TOPIC CLOSED-

This post has been edited by KissMe2408: Mar 30 2006, 11:18 AM

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: