Closed TopicStart new topic
Topsite, Help
Masta_Shih
post Dec 19 2005, 07:05 PM
Post #1

doing it for teh lulz

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 129,592

Hello! I'm not much of a message boardie, and I really don't know where to post this. I apologize if there is already a support forum designated for the topsite.

Every time I try to visit the createBlog topsite, I am faced with

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /topsite on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I know that this is not for everyone, since my SiteMeter is still tracking referring URLs from /topsite. I don't want to jump to conclusions and assume more than what is given, but have I been blocked (or banned) from reaching /topsite?

steezahh
post Dec 19 2005, 07:20 PM
Post #2

"my girls rock balenciaga and smoke mad marijuana"

Group: Member
Member No: 70,049

i got that too!!! goshh whats wrong? anybody know?

Mulder
post Dec 19 2005, 07:42 PM
Post #3

i lost weight with Mulder!

Member No: 79,019

hm..thats weird.

maybe theres something wrong with the database?
createblog was down yesterday..

steezahh
post Dec 19 2005, 07:45 PM
Post #4

"my girls rock balenciaga and smoke mad marijuana"

Member No: 70,049

yeha it was down yesterday & that got on my nerves.

*mona lisa*
post Dec 19 2005, 08:17 PM
Post #5

Yeah, I get that too. Hopefully, it's due to some minor errors, but I'll try to find out what's going on. :)

Fabio.
post Dec 19 2005, 08:18 PM
Post #6

^ Mrs. Jonas

Member No: 263,313

Also, I had a CB Topsite button on my subdomain, and since this has been happening, it's disappeared.

katek
post Dec 20 2005, 12:36 AM
Post #7

Member No: 326,296

anyone know who manage this blink.gif

*digital.fragrance*
post Dec 20 2005, 10:17 PM
Post #8

Amen - how long is it down? All of my images are broken and I can't access it.. I noticed that it had previously reset the hit counter twice... What's going on ...?

*mona lisa*
post Dec 21 2005, 05:02 PM
Post #9

Do you guys still want cB topsites? Jusun is not so sure about it, but if it's popular, we can keep it.

There are still a few people who really want their site to be on topsites and for good reason, but I've seen that most of them are not what we've been looking for. For example, I remember seeing a site on the list that offered Myspace resources. I even saw competing websites! Now, I don't exactly know how topsites is regulated, but I wouldn't want people voting for them.

*not_your_average*
post Dec 21 2005, 06:20 PM
Post #10

i don't think we should have cB topsites anymore. there's been too much crap going on with it, people cheating and hacking the system to change their stats. i say we get rid of it.

beepingmodem
post Dec 21 2005, 07:26 PM
Post #11

Member No: 268,514

I have the same problem, i've been trying for DAYS!!! cry.gif

Masta_Shih
post Dec 21 2005, 09:44 PM
Post #12

doing it for teh lulz

QUOTE(mona lisa @ Dec 21 2005, 4:02 PM)
Do you guys still want cB topsites? Jusun is not so sure about it, but if it's popular, we can keep it.

There are still a few people who really want their site to be on topsites and for good reason, but I've seen that most of them are not what we've been looking for. For example, I remember seeing a site on the list that offered Myspace resources. I even saw competing websites! Now, I don't exactly know how topsites is regulated, but I wouldn't want people voting for them.

I see what you mean. It would be nice if someone regulated it, yes. But don't shut it off; topsites are a way of moving visitors around. Someone clicks an "in" hit, is brought to the topsite page, and can either visit other topsites or explore into createBlog itself.

QUOTE(not_your_average @ Dec 21 2005, 5:20 PM)
i don't think we should have cB topsites anymore. there's been too much crap going on with it, people cheating and hacking the system to change their stats. i say we get rid of it.

I don't think you can really cheat the system, it tracks unique hits by IP address. But hey, where there is a will, there is a way. CreateBlog has a lot of members, I'm sure someone will step up to regulate the topsites.

*digital.fragrance*
post Dec 22 2005, 03:26 PM
Post #13

I agree with az kicka - someone ought to regulate the topsites. There is no way in the world that one person can get over 1,000 hits in a day (especially the one's I've seen in the top 10)!! ... unless they are cheating. But topsites is important - it helps promote createblog and the members in it. Don't get rid of them.

beepingmodem
post Dec 23 2005, 01:58 AM
Post #14

Member No: 268,514

So is anyone fixing this problem???

heyyfrankie
post Dec 23 2005, 03:31 PM
Post #15

This bitch better work!

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 28,095

I CAN REGULATE IT. yawn.gif
i have access. :)

i'll go threw it and see what i can do.

EDIT;; wait..the page is still down. ermm.gif

*[Filp]Essence*
post Dec 27 2005, 01:06 PM
Post #16

cheating? i dont really think, we have good security here at cB, but its the same at http://www.toopowerful.com, some have a lot of votes, like in the thousands, but it has an anti cheat gateway, here at cB if i remember right you cant vote more than 3 or something like that. But im sure cB is doing everything it can to bring the cB topsites up ASAP.

DaTru KataLYST
post Dec 28 2005, 04:02 AM
Post #17

白人看不懂 !!!!

Member No: 40,824

QUOTE([Filp]Essence @ Dec 27 2005, 10:06 AM)
cheating? i dont really think, we have good security here at cB, but its the same at http://www.toopowerful.com, some have a lot of votes, like in the thousands, but it has an anti cheat gateway, here at cB if i remember right you cant vote more than 3 or something like that. But im sure cB is doing everything it can to bring the cB topsites up ASAP.

There is a confirmed flaw in the cB topsites system, unfortunately. I think it had to do with iFrames and automatic refreshes and gibber gabber.

*[Filp]Essence*
post Dec 28 2005, 04:23 PM
Post #18

^ i guess that explains it.

The_AZN_Godfathe...
post Dec 30 2005, 09:11 PM
Post #19

Member No: 312,806

Ok, so I'm not the only one who can't access topsite.

If it's possible, I think cB should get an anti-cheat gateway too. I've seen some links to vote for a site disguised as links to other places. But I'm not sure. The system cB already had made it simpler for people to vote.

So... cB hasn't announced anything about a problem with topsite, or have they? Perhaps I just didn't see it.

Masta_Shih
post Jan 10 2006, 10:53 PM
Post #20

doing it for teh lulz

It really goes to show ya. My site's traffic is down 50% following the shut down of the cB topsites... I get most of my visitors from there.

*digital.fragrance*
post Jan 10 2006, 11:21 PM
Post #21

QUOTE(az kicka @ Jan 10 2006, 10:53 PM)
It really goes to show ya. My site's traffic is down 50% following the shut down of the cB topsites... I get most of my visitors from there.

Mine hasn't really fallen down much... I am about 50 hits short each day. Not that it matters... but I hope it's up soon.

*mzkandi*
post Jan 11 2006, 03:32 AM
Post #22

QUOTE(mona lisa @ Dec 21 2005, 5:02 PM)

I dont think we should get rid of topsites. It's an attractive offering to outsiders and is also encouragement for the outsiders to become members of our forum. However, I regularly go through topsites (when it was working) and there was a bunch of content that shouldn't have be on there, like Mona said, even competing websites, which is not only confusing but not something we want at all. I think if we do decide to keep it a better way of regulating the types of sites that are accepted should be installed.

Just_Dream
post Jan 13 2006, 12:19 AM
Post #23

durian

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 3,860

QUOTE(mzkandi @ Jan 11 2006, 12:32 AM)
I dont think we should get rid of topsites. It's an attractive offering to outsiders and is also encouragement for the outsiders to become members of our forum. However, I regularly go through topsites (when it was working) and there was a bunch of content that shouldn't have be on there, like Mona said, even competing websites, which is not only confusing but not something we want at all. I think if we do decide to keep it a better way of regulating the types of sites that are accepted should be installed.

Mm I agree. It's nice because it gives people a feeling of accomplishment, imo. It's not as if I'm on the top 25 or anything (yay for #50! :P lol), but I know that those who get on there, I often visit their websites, xangas, or websites and I even click the topsite link. Some of those people deserve to be on the top.. While there are some that.. don't.. whistling.gif That's why it's true that it is flawed in various ways. I mean wow, 1000 hits in one day? I remember that happening before to someone and they had nothing to do with it... sometime in the past. I agree with the whole issue on competing websites. I think it's fine if you yourself offer skins that you make. But it's odd when I see websites or xangas that offer the same resources as cB.

But it is true that those who visit through the topsite will notice the forums and that cB offers resources as well as a rapidly growing community. :] Which is why I agree that it should stay up.

micron
post Jan 20 2006, 03:47 AM
Post #24

cb's #1 fan! =)

Group: Advisor
Member No: 1

hi all,

the reason why i took the topsite down was because it was eating up too much server resources. someone mentioned that the server was down some time ago. the culprit was actually the topsite (since people bombarded it with spam/bogus requests).

im working on something new for createblog in the time being, so my hands are all tied. but who knows, after im done with whatever im doing (i promise, whatever it is, will be awesome), maybe ill make something like a topsite but better. but for now, i dont think we'll see the topsite back online anytime soon. sorry to break the news guys. =(

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: