Reply to this topicStart new topic
Barbie loves MAC
Gigi
post Feb 20 2007, 02:53 AM
Post #1

in a matter of time

Group: Staff Alumni
Member No: 191,357

Sorry, does makeup fit into Girls' Locker or Fashion? You can move this accordingly. =)

Anyway. I've been reading up on this for the past few weeks on various blogs, and I have to say, it looks really great. The ads look great, if not a little airbrushed (but come on, now, this is Barbie we're talkin' about).

Oh, and it's the first line of MAC makeup to have its own separate website: http://www.barbielovesmac.com

Thoughts?

HakunaMatata
post Feb 20 2007, 03:01 AM
Post #2

Home is where your rump rests!

Member No: 451,969

Definitely Fashion. (: I'm not a makeup user at all, but as a girl who has makeup-fanatic cousins, I've come to appreciate MAC greatly. While this line certainly is something I wouldn't wear (aside from the fact that I only wear makeup for special events, it's a bit too bright and shiny for me), it's very different and surprising. The ads look amazing; the blonde hair of the first one and the eyelashes of the second really remind me of my doll-playing days, and I'm sure it evokes the same feeling in other people.

multifaceted
post Feb 20 2007, 09:23 AM
Post #3

I'm Cattt. :]

Group: Validating
Member No: 130,831

It reminds me a bit like Sephora. Mac has some really great products, though I think this will attract too many young girls (like 8 or 9) to start using makeup because of the Barbie image.

voguelove
post Feb 20 2007, 09:41 AM
Post #4

i'm maggie =]

Group: Member
Member No: 361,616

..eek. it's too bright and girly.

then again, that's probaly why it's barbie.

Señorita Semi-Au...
post Feb 20 2007, 10:04 AM
Post #5

Oh My Goblet of Fire!

Member No: 504,421

Are they trying to make little girls look like prostitutes?!

monxcheri
post Feb 20 2007, 11:29 AM
Post #6

mon cheri amour x

Member No: 168,530

little girls with moms who want them to be miss USA`s & who pretty much act like their daughters are going to buy these products.

Mireh
post Feb 20 2007, 12:24 PM
Post #7

original member.

Group: Official Member
Member No: 1,460

oh my god.

WHYY GOD. WHY

*mona lisa*
post Feb 20 2007, 12:41 PM
Post #8

Cute but too bright and shiny. This doesn't help the young girls who act and dress as if they're 25. It's disgusting really. There's a Facebook group with tons of images and you'll not only see such young girls dressing provocatively but wearing so much unnecessary makeup that it's horrifying.

Sometimes, society sickens me.

blucheri
post Feb 20 2007, 03:56 PM
Post #9

GANGSTA-FIED

Member No: 108,643

doesn't barbie have a little TOO much makeup on. or maybe its me. I like the natural look. ermm.gif

*mishyerr*
post Feb 20 2007, 04:36 PM
Post #10

That's so f**king cute!
I am definitely going to go pick up of that makeup soon.

me1issaaaa
post Feb 20 2007, 06:39 PM
Post #11

Member No: 18,393

Guys... relax, it's just makeup. It's not meant to be that heavy for everyday wear. It's just for the ad.
I can't wait to try this stuff! Looks pretty [:

AimeeLynn
post Feb 20 2007, 06:44 PM
Post #12

here, here, and here

Member No: 206,103

I love it!
It looks so pretty!
i would never wear it but still cute.

hi-C
post Feb 20 2007, 06:55 PM
Post #13

Amberific.

Member No: 29,772

Jesus, that blonde girl looks like a doll.

I actually kind of like this idea. Barbie's always been a fashion plate, it's about time she extends into the realm of high-end makeup.

iDecay
post Feb 20 2007, 07:11 PM
Post #14

Pocketful of Sunshine

Member No: 289,004

Even though I don't put on any makeup, I have an eyeshadow 'fetish.' I like bright, intense colors like those. And not all the colors look like they belong on a hooker. ermm.gif

freeflow
post Feb 20 2007, 07:27 PM
Post #15

t-t-t-toyaaa

Member No: 11,270

I think I might try out the lip stuff they have. I find the whole thing kind of cute though, and it was pretty good/creative idea.

*mishyerr*
post Feb 20 2007, 08:01 PM
Post #16

and to all the people who think that MAC is trying to make the girls of USA today look like prostitutes-

most girls today are already sluts and bitches. they don't pay for expensive make-up; they use cheap shit and paint all over their whore-y faces.

*mona lisa*
post Feb 20 2007, 08:09 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(mishyerr @ Feb 20 2007, 8:01 PM) *
and to all the people who think that MAC is trying to make the girls of USA today look like prostitutes-

most girls today are already sluts and bitches. they don't pay for expensive make-up; they use cheap shit and paint all over their whore-y faces.
I understand they already are but this certainly doesn't help that. Even if they already use cheap crap to look like a whore, (younger) girls who look up to Barbie will probably begin to do the same. These kids need more discipline. Anyway, my point is, there are enough people out there disgusted by what they see young girls wearing/doing. Sure, this may not call for drastic action, but this happens often enough for a large group of people to recognize it.

synthase
post Feb 20 2007, 08:28 PM
Post #18

ALLISON

Group: Official Designer
Member No: 310,259

i love the colors; very bold
but i wouldnt wear this
i guess too much would look like a slut
just a little

Gigi
post Feb 20 2007, 08:33 PM
Post #19

in a matter of time

I'm sure that MAC marketed the Barbie collaboration towards their current target market. That being, women in their 20s and 30s. I actually like the idea, and although Barbie does have a reputation for having negative influences on self-image, no one can disagree that she is a fashion icon (do you know any other dolls with designer duds?), and her own brand of makeup is definitely appropriate. I really don't see preteens using this product at all.

Also, if they were marketing this towards younger girls, they would keep their signature Barbie look - same logo, maybe with the same Barbie. However, the packaging is more sleek and there's even a newer, more mature image used for the products.

The ad campaign does make the girls out to be very made-up, but they definitely captured the essence of Barbie. And, you know, wearing a certain brand of makeup doesn't make you a slut. How you act makes you a slut.

*mishyerr*
post Feb 20 2007, 08:34 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(mona lisa @ Feb 20 2007, 9:09 PM) *
I understand they already are but this certainly doesn't help that. Even if they already use cheap crap to look like a whore, (younger) girls who look up to Barbie will probably begin to do the same. These kids need more discipline. Anyway, my point is, there are enough people out there disgusted by what they see young girls wearing/doing. Sure, this may not call for drastic action, but this happens often enough for a large group of people to recognize it.

Okay, no offense, but "looking up" to Barbie has got to be one of the stupidest things a girl can do. People have already debated this topic; Barbie's boobs are too huge, and her proportions are f**ked up. Even if she DIDN'T wear make-up, does that mean little girls will put balloons filled with yogurt in their bras so they can look more like Barbie?

Make-up is an art. People are fussing about this advertisement because of how well-done the make-up is on those two models.

There are not enough people disgusted by what young girls wear or do because they were like that themselves. There's no point in bashing MAC for getting together with Barbie to make high quality make-up that little girls couldn't afford until saving up their allowance for a month. You should be bashing Libby Lou's, Limited Too, and all those other disgusting brands that actually advocate sluttish clothing for little kids.

You don't wear every single f**king item by Covergirl or Maybelline do you? If you did, of course you would look like a prostitute / slut. That's why you buy ONE little item, maybe the blush, to have a simple, natural look. MAC is not asking you to attempt to do their style. And if someone did, they would probably fail miserably because MAC artists are amazing at what they do.

Gigi
post Feb 20 2007, 08:42 PM
Post #21

in a matter of time

^ Well said. Just because something advertises it to be that way, by no means does it mean that it's intended to be used that way. I can think of a million disasters with green and pink eyeshadow, along with hot pink lipgloss/lipstick.

Although, using the green shadow along with something more subtle...that would work.

priyas
post Feb 20 2007, 08:45 PM
Post #22

Hello There.

Member No: 88,673

The makeup looks really pretty on the barbies, but bright colors don't look good on me mellow.gif

*mona lisa*
post Feb 20 2007, 08:54 PM
Post #23

QUOTE(mishyerr @ Feb 20 2007, 8:34 PM) *
Okay, no offense, but "looking up" to Barbie has got to be one of the stupidest things a girl can do. People have already debated this topic; Barbie's boobs are too huge, and her proportions are f**ked up. Even if she DIDN'T wear make-up, does that mean little girls will put balloons filled with yogurt in their bras so they can look more like Barbie?

Make-up is an art. People are fussing about this advertisement because of how well-done the make-up is on those two models.

There are not enough people disgusted by what young girls wear or do because they were like that themselves. There's no point in bashing MAC for getting together with Barbie to make high quality make-up that little girls couldn't afford until saving up their allowance for a month. You should be bashing Libby Lou's, Limited Too, and all those other disgusting brands that actually advocate sluttish clothing for little kids.

You don't wear every single f**king item by Covergirl or Maybelline do you? If you did, of course you would look like a prostitute / slut. That's why you buy ONE little item, maybe the blush, to have a simple, natural look. MAC is not asking you to attempt to do their style. And if someone did, they would probably fail miserably because MAC artists are amazing at what they do.
I'm not talking about her unnatural body dimensions, nor how people have heavily debated on it. Do little girls who play with Barbie even care about such things? I'm not bashing MAC as I know they produce quality make-up wear but the association with Barbie (the name itself, not anything else) just doesn't seem to suit

angelrevelation
post Feb 20 2007, 09:35 PM
Post #24

You can't keep running from what you're trying to find.

Member No: 54,096

I think it's going to encourage young girls to wear makeup even more... Which isn't a good thing. They're already wearing mini skirts and low cut tops, it's disgusting. There are lots of parents out there who will get their kids anything they ask for.

pedophile
post Feb 20 2007, 10:15 PM
Post #25

that's what she said

Member No: 436,512

OMG, are you guys serious? Chill. It's just makeup. & besides, most girls that are in their preteens have moved on to Bratz now. OH GOD. How I hate those dolls.

But anywaysssss, I like the makeup. It looks nice. Probably something I'd try wearing. :] & since when does wearing makeup make someone a whore?

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: