Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: whywhwyhwy
Forums > Community Center > Debate
coconutter
Why do men get to appear topless on TV, but women don't? I really don't think that is fair. Both men and women have nipples, so aren't they equally "racy"? Just because women have more fatty tissues in their chest area, as some men shown on TV do also, does that mean it's worse to view?

I understand, the standard for women is to remain covered, not exactly true today, but in most civilizations it's considered vulgar for a woman to display her boobs in public. Why though? Why is it worse for women to do that when I see men walk around shirtless all the time. If given the chance, legally, I'd do it too. We're not liberal enough to allow the laws to be changed to that, but I really wanted to see Heather McDonald's boobs on Chelsea Lately! With a table full of men also topless, it's really unfair to just block out boobs just because they belong to females! All human nipples are the same, whether they have a purpose or not!
Joss-eh-lime
boobs have a use. to feed babies. they shouldnt just be exposed to everything when a babies mouth will be on the nipples.

but i do see where you are coming from, because @ the pool i wroked at boys could just jump in with their shorts & a little girl HAD to have a swim suit
datass
sometime ago, showing off your inner wrists was as bad as walking around naked.
fameONE
Americans and their hypocrisies! We're raised to believe sex is somehow "bad" when you can watch television and see severed limbs.
karmakiller
...Because some women might be able to take an eye out. Men are flat, so they don't pose that risk.
Reidar
It's because they're embarrassed from being dwarfed by my massive chest. Breasts are just pecs with no will, much like communism.
karmakiller
Did Reidar just admit he has a big chest? Man boobs are man boobs no matter how much muscle they may be made of.
coconutter
man boobs can take out eyes

not ALL men at flat, you know..

and i think little kids have so many other things to look at that boobs
Tomates
You know what i find funny? How in most Rated R movies that sometimes provide Nudity they sometimes just show the women topless but they wont always show parts of the men.
I mean hell in Titanic they got a boob shot and it was still rated PG-13
coconutter
QUOTE(Joss-eh-lime @ Oct 5 2008, 01:04 AM) *
boobs have a use. to feed babies. they shouldnt just be exposed to everything when a babies mouth will be on the nipples.
but i do see where you are coming from, because @ the pool i wroked at boys could just jump in with their shorts & a little girl HAD to have a swim suit

so does that mean bottles can't be exposed because a babies mouth will be on the nipple?

or are you trying to say boobs will have germs, because that's ludicrous, everything has germs!
sixfive
QUOTE(coconutter @ Oct 7 2008, 08:56 PM) *
so does that mean bottles can't be exposed because a babies mouth will be on the nipple?

or are you trying to say boobs will have germs, because that's ludicrous, everything has germs!

coconutter
no, that's ludacris.
sixfive
dawg ludacris is ludicrous
NoSex
larger issue of sexual repression and female oppression; duh.
Tung
^ Or maybe what is deemed "right" is socially constructed by American society today.
NoSex
QUOTE(pessimist @ Oct 8 2008, 02:11 AM) *
^ Or maybe what is deemed "right" is socially constructed by American society today.

yeah, that's what i mean more or less: genders roles are socially constructed.
sixfive
QUOTE(NoSex @ Oct 8 2008, 08:12 AM) *
yeah, that's what i mean more or less: genders roles are socially constructed.

You mean it's not a biological matter that states 'women belong in the kitchen'?
coconutter
i just want to see boobies, geez stubborn.gif
manic
Chelsea Lately is hilarious.

I think that it would be impossible for such a freedom to occur, for women.

I can't be comfortable, topless, around anyone but my boyfriend. Don't get me wrong, I like to be topless and it would be awesome to do so out in public without being judged, being gawked at, or being touched.
Melissa
QUOTE(fameONE @ Oct 5 2008, 04:23 AM) *
Americans and their hypocrisies! We're raised to believe sex is somehow "bad" when you can watch television and see severed limbs.

lol, that's actually a running joke in our family. Back when I was really young and wanted to watch a PG-13 or rated R movie, my mom would always ask "What's it rated for?"

If I said "violence and gore," we'd get it, but if I said "sexual situations," she'd be like "wtf, absolutely not!"
coconutter
We're way too private about sex lives and sexuality imo
TiffanyFactorial
well in europe, especially in italy, i saw a commercial for banana boat with a topless woman. so..iderno.

it will be probably not until another century or two for this to actually happen. too many people are way too conservative about nudity & sexual appeal.

they need to get over it. you have to remember that there are still some areas of this world where women aren't even allowed to show their faces & must remained covered up. so i dont know. but it would be nice if i could sunbathe without my shirt on or something. that way my bikini top won't leave a tan!
Amaranthus
Because you'll file restraining orders against for staring.
"Officer I was just staring at her tits is all! Honest!"
dosomethin888
Its because of something called morals, which some people actually still hold on to. But morals in the US and probably other developing countries are flying out the window faster each day. Its a matter of modesty.

NoSex
QUOTE(dosomethin888 @ Oct 14 2008, 12:57 AM) *
Its because of something called morals, which some people actually still hold on to.

what the hell are you talking about? what is "immoral" about the naked human form? are you a prude and a moron or are you just a prude?
fameONE
QUOTE(NoSex @ Oct 15 2008, 12:31 AM) *
what the hell are you talking about? what is "immoral" about the naked human form? are you a prude and a moron or are you just a prude?

BOTH!
Joss-eh-lime
QUOTE(coconutter @ Oct 7 2008, 06:56 PM) *

nah im saying boobs are used for an "intimate" thing & they are also a body part connected to sexual arousal. they shouldn't be out there for eveyone to look at.
dosomethin888
Neither actually, Im just saying as time goes by, were seeing more sex, drugs, alcohol, foul language and nudity on the television and in movies and were not monitering what our kids see.

The human body is beautiful, nothing immoral about it, but it is sacred, not something that should be shown to everyone, especially not the whole world on the TV. Its intended to be seen by your spouse, when your married. Not passed around.
coconutter
QUOTE(dosomethin888 @ Oct 26 2008, 02:15 AM) *
Neither actually, Im just saying as time goes by, were seeing more sex, drugs, alcohol, foul language and nudity on the television and in movies and were not monitering what our kids see.

The human body is beautiful, nothing immoral about it, but it is sacred, not something that should be shown to everyone, especially not the whole world on the TV. Its intended to be seen by your spouse, when your married. Not passed around.

Biased opinion much?

I loved how you added in "when you're married". Why do people think marriage somehow makes things better. It doesn't. Marriage is NOTHING, nothing at all. Just some legal crap, and it should be treated as so. Idiots.

and by the way, morals should apply to every gender.

The point is, the male body isn't sacred, it is being passed around. Why can't female bodies be passed around like they're unsacred? We're all human beings, and our bodies are just as sacred as that of a cat. Why can't we all just accept each other as equal?
coconutter
QUOTE(Joss-eh-lime @ Oct 26 2008, 01:45 AM) *
nah im saying boobs are used for an "intimate" thing & they are also a body part connected to sexual arousal. they shouldn't be out there for eveyone to look at.

What about breast feeding is intimate? Drinking coffee isn't intimate. The male chest could be a body part used for sexual arousal.

sorry for double posting >:(
dosomethin888
QUOTE(coconutter @ Oct 26 2008, 05:04 PM) *
Biased opinion much?

I loved how you added in "when you're married". Why do people think marriage somehow makes things better. It doesn't. Marriage is NOTHING, nothing at all. Just some legal crap, and it should be treated as so. Idiots.

and by the way, morals should apply to every gender.

The point is, the male body isn't sacred, it is being passed around. Why can't female bodies be passed around like they're unsacred? We're all human beings, and our bodies are just as sacred as that of a cat. Why can't we all just accept each other as equal?

Thats my opinion. Dont call me a prude. Dont call me a moron. Dont call me an idiot. Name calling is immature. How about you respect my opinion and I'll respect yours, ya?
superstitious
Eh, women are more exploitable I guess? I don't know. It's bizarre. There's really no rational explanation for it. I get that people have opinions on the matter but breasts are breasts for goodness sake. I swing the way of the penis but I'd prefer seeing female boobage over some old fart's man boobs any day.
Mikeplyts
I've seen a show where they said like in Russia or something, when the news is on, they make the reporter (usually a woman) strip naked while giving the news.

It's like saying, I have no self-respect for myself so I'll just show my naked body to almost everyone in Russia(I think). Think about that.
And hey, you don't see men just whipping out the "donkers" everywhere they go. They take off thier shirts just to get some attention. At least that's what I think.
superstitious
You don't see women whipping out the vajayjays either. I'm talking breasts to breasts. Why is it that a man boob can be televised and a woman boob cannot be televised?
Mikeplyts
^^ It's like I said. It just make you think that the woman has no slef respect but if a guy does it, it's like he's just tring to get attention or just "joking" that he has no self respect.
superstitious
Ok, let me present this differently:

1) Bare chested male on TV: shameful?
2) Bare chested female on TV: shameful?

The answers should be the same. I'm not saying that people are wrong for thinking the way they do. I'm saying that if the answer to #1 is no and the answer to #2 is yes, that's far from congruent thinking.
Joss-eh-lime
QUOTE(coconutter @ Oct 26 2008, 04:13 PM) *
What about breast feeding is intimate? Drinking coffee isn't intimate. The male chest could be a body part used for sexual arousal.

sorry for double posting >:(

my mom actually said that in this country we hide breastfeeding, but other countries its out in the open.
so i guess thats just how our culture is, and therefore breastfeeding is an intimate thing. women usually cover themselves with a blanket.
LittleMissSunshine
i think girls who don't have very big boobies (if you do; don't take it offensively, just pointing out something) can walk out freely topless, that's like men.. but did you know that some men do have some man-titties.. but they walk out toppless anyways? we should do something about that!
coconutter
QUOTE(dosomethin888 @ Oct 27 2008, 01:35 AM) *
Thats my opinion. Dont call me a prude. Dont call me a moron. Dont call me an idiot. Name calling is immature. How about you respect my opinion and I'll respect yours, ya?

I didn't call you an idiot, nor did I call you a moron, I was speaking about the general population and their misconceptions of marriage (and general idiocy of the government), hence IDIOTS, not idiot.

I just thought your opinion was biased by some modern conservatism and the corruption of some churches. Seeing a body until marriage really shouldn't have anything to do with what they show on TV, that was just an opinionated thing you added in there which I considered bias, and well, on my terms it was.

Also, about the other countries. Our country is considered to be the more liberal when it comes to freedom of citizens, yet females aren't allowed to freely walked around topless, while men are? It doesn't make sense, it really doesn't. That's not equality, it's only a majority of the people's morals (mostly based on religion) deciding how women could live. Isn't that similar to women in other countries who can't leave the house, or have property, and divorce women where as men can? It's totally unfair, the laws should have nothing to do with the sometimes sexist views of churches.
Simba
A man might walk into a restaurant with no shirt on and he'd probably get kicked out. A woman could walk into a restaurant topless and she'd probably get free food.

sad.gif
coconutter
QUOTE(ArjunaCapulong @ Oct 29 2008, 09:36 PM) *
A man might walk into a restaurant with no shirt on and he'd probably get kicked out. A woman could walk into a restaurant topless and she'd probably get free food.
sad.gif

I hate sexism >:(
Simba
hehe.gif
dosomethin888
QUOTE(coconutter @ Oct 29 2008, 07:29 PM) *
I didn't call you an idiot, nor did I call you a moron, I was speaking about the general population and their misconceptions of marriage (and general idiocy of the government), hence IDIOTS, not idiot.

I just thought your opinion was biased by some modern conservatism and the corruption of some churches. Seeing a body until marriage really shouldn't have anything to do with what they show on TV, that was just an opinionated thing you added in there which I considered bias, and well, on my terms it was.

Also, about the other countries. Our country is considered to be the more liberal when it comes to freedom of citizens, yet females aren't allowed to freely walked around topless, while men are? It doesn't make sense, it really doesn't. That's not equality, it's only a majority of the people's morals (mostly based on religion) deciding how women could live. Isn't that similar to women in other countries who can't leave the house, or have property, and divorce women where as men can? It's totally unfair, the laws should have nothing to do with the sometimes sexist views of churches.

Oh, sorry I was actually talking to NoSex.
Reidar
QUOTE(coconutter @ Oct 29 2008, 08:29 PM) *
Isn't that similar to women in other countries who can't leave the house, or have property, and divorce women where as men can?

Not even close. Under the backwater regime where I'm from, women are not permitted to be in the company of a man who is not her husband or a male relative, or allowed to engage in sports in which they may be seen by men, nevermind being banned from pursuing higher education in 91 of 169 fields of study. Somehow, I think that's on a different level than having to wear a flimsy top.

This kind of reminds me of my Russian friend who visited Moscow a few weeks ago. "The entire country is ****ed up," he'd say in relaying the experience to others. According to him, people would often reply, "Oh, like here," and he would just shake his head in disbelief and say, "Uh, no. Not like here, at all. Have you ever even lived outside the U.S.?"
coconutter
QUOTE(Reidar @ Oct 30 2008, 06:32 AM) *
Not even close. Under the backwater regime where I'm from, women are not permitted to be in the company of a man who is not her husband or a male relative, or allowed to engage in sports in which they may be seen by men, nevermind being banned from pursuing higher education in 91 of 169 fields of study. Somehow, I think that's on a different level than having to wear a flimsy top.

This kind of reminds me of my Russian friend who visited Moscow a few weeks ago. "The entire country is ****ed up," he'd say in relaying the experience to others. According to him, people would often reply, "Oh, like here," and he would just shake his head in disbelief and say, "Uh, no. Not like here, at all. Have you ever even lived outside the U.S.?"

No doubt women in other countries don't have near as many rights as we do, that's evident. I was just comparing the rights us women don't have, to the rights that other women do not have in other countries, even if we do have the rights they don't have, it's still a fair comparison. Not on the level of harshness, but the similarity is there.
LittleMissSunshine
we should just change it.. lol i mean, they are just breasts.. not such a big deal! i mean it's not like you can do anything with it besides feed your children with it. private parts are too be hidden, thats why they are called private. and breasts are not considered under that topic heh.
Reidar
QUOTE(coconutter @ Oct 30 2008, 04:47 PM) *
I was just comparing the rights us women don't have, to the rights that other women do not have in other countries, even if we do have the rights they don't have, it's still a fair comparison.

It's not analogous. A woman's quality of living and her lifelong opportunities aren't impugned by such minor censorship, as inconsistent as the logic behind it may be. In the Middle East, female-specific statutes explicitly characterize men as the dominant gender by limiting societal opportunities. The fact that there even exist nudist camps in America offers relief for more secular-minded people; there is no parallel under the alternative, for women citizens of Iran can't even leave the country without a male supervisor.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.