Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HIGHSCHOOL HELP
Forums > Community Center > Lifestyle > Girls' Locker
cheri_pi
when i was in elementary school i was sorta nerdy... i focused on my schoolwork and wasnt overly social. it took me a while to make friends but the few i made were choice :)
in middle school (i had just moved across the country, so i was sorta nervous about fitting in) i acted all... not-me and hyper and social and stuff, and i made friends quicker, but they weren't as great.
im wondering what i should do for highschool... because of course i'd like to be quiet and focus on my schoolwork and make friends at my own pace, like i did in elementary school, but if it doesnt work like that in hs, ill be labeled as a nerd...
sorry if this is hard to understand, hopefully someone will get it :)
help?
jennyjenny
I get it, I think.

You want to make new friends gradually and just be yourself without being labeled a nerd?

My advice would be to make new friends and be quiet and stuff, but just be outgoing sometimes and just, don't be shy! You know, you can focus on schoolwork and have fun this year. Don't be worried about what you're labeled as, it shouldn't really matter. It's not like you would want to be labeled a slut either. Labels suck.

But good luck in highschool, I'm going to highschool too and I'm just as nervous.
suddenly she
there are three things in high school: grades, sleep, and friends.
you can have two. end of story.
cheri_pi
Thanks, AzNxJenny91, that helps :)
I guess I knew I had to find somewhat of a happy medium...
Nugget
Well, you really shouldn't act like someone you're not. I don't think that's really something you plan out either. It just happens while you're there. I have great friends here, but I'm moving soon, so I am worried of how they're like. The rules of the school and people, but I don't do what they do to try and fit in. You should just be yourself, and if they don't like that, then forget about them. Everyone is there own person. I'm sure you'll make friends by being yourself. _smile.gif
salcha
OH GOSH, I WAS EXACTLY LIKE YOU. I was SO shy in elementary, my friends were few, but they were the best. Loud in junior high= not as great friends.
So last year, freshman year, I just acted...I don't know, in between. Whatever, I took hard classes so I'm labeled a nerd. Nothing to be ashamed of ;p

Just be whatever your mood is in.
krispy_kreme333
Don't worry about what you will ba labeled as. Screw labels. Just be who you are, and be friendly.
makulit
Are you ready for this? .....................

Be yourself.
aera
i guess be a little of both. be quiet when you want, be outgoing..er.. when you want. having good grades and being quiet doesnt mean youre a nerd. at least not at my school. they just call you a nerd as a joke.
xcaitlinx
QUOTE(makulit @ Aug 18 2005, 8:33 PM)

Be yourself.

Exactly. happy.gif Don't worry about what other people think of you. If you can't be yourself around them, then screw them. You shouldn't have to put on an act or change who you are just to please people.
xXMomoBubbleTeaXx
QUOTE(suddenly she @ Aug 18 2005, 6:54 PM)
there are three things in high school: grades, sleep, and friends.
you can have two. end of story.

^^^^^Thats soOo true....but I always had friends..but it's jusst that I didn't know the 411 when I focused more on schoolwork than friends..soOo I would choose friends & grades..jusst no sleep..I did that once..didn't realli work out..(lol).. rolleyes.gif
yellowgurl
QUOTE(makulit @ Aug 18 2005, 6:33 PM)

Be yourself.

exactly, try to be friendly and be nice to everyone. work hard but remember to balance with some play. im the same kind of .. going to highschool and all.. but everything will work out once you get there.
mzislandpinay
you know wut.. that's how i am too.. but i learned wut to do.. if you get involved with ur skewl.. lyk go to dances/games/events.. then you'll be able to make ur social status go up and maek more friends.. and then during the times that there isn't anything to do.. go study and focus with skewl.. you should always focus with skewl and then as you done with.. h/w studying/classwork spend some time with friends.. cuz i knoe it doesn't take 12 hours just to study.. just study for lyk 2 or even 1 1/2 hours then spend time with friends and stuff..
..:loveee.NuTTii
Just be yourself. You woudn't want to make friends with people you don't really like. I mean your gunna be stuck with them for 4 years. You say you don't want to be a nerd?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=nerd
6. nerd

the group of people who will most likely make a life changing invention that will radically change the world. the computer was invented by a nerd. the macintosh/apple and windows were invetned by nerds. jocks and normal people have no claim to civilization except for being the hard labor. nerds actually do the thinking. so jocks, f**k you, and go eat your steroids. Nerds created almost everything that civilzation needs, such as computers, calculators, windows, etc

Be proud. wink.gif
cheri_pi
wow, so many great replies!!! thanks a lot.
i'm not sure i buy the whole "there are 3 things in hs, grades, friends, and sleep, and u can have 2" thing, but thanks for your opinion nevertheless :)
the urban dictionary thing was cool too :P
i like the idea of focusing on my schoolwork when it's going on, but in the hallway or afterschool when im not studying i can be more social. i think i just have to make sure not to let those two things (friends and school) mesh...
i'll definitely join some afterschool clubs and such.... if i have time, haha. im taking like 3 AP classes and im not sure how much time ill have afterschool... though im probably just overcompensating- ill probably have time :)
and ill definitely be myself... that seems to be the leading piece of advice :)
thanks everyone!!

AND, whoever said this: "jocks and normal people have no claim to civilization except for being the hard labor. nerds actually do the thinking. so jocks, f**k you, and go eat your steroids" thank you. heheh :)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.