Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: M.I.A.
Forums > Community Center > Music
not_your_average
She's a Sri Lankan rap artist from the UK who incorporates actual artwork that she made into her videos. I think her song "Galang" is so catchy. I love the beats. She's very different and interesting. Anyone else heard of her?

edit:

You can listen to samples of her music at her official website. I downloaded her stuff off iTunes.
azn_r4pf4n
put up her songs. this might b interesting.
danielle_x3
i heard of her on that day she was on MTV. they were featuring her. hehe. yeah 'Galang' is so catchy. i like it
LiLEthiopian
yeah..I heard about her a while ago...I like her other song "Sunshowers".
shortiiex
i saw her on MTV ten spot,...i didn't really like it..i don't really like that type of music
Statistik
Alright, i'll listen to some of her later.
angel-roh
Yeah I already heard of her. She was featured in the free music at iTunes music store. I downloaded it. It's funky and house genre. I thought it was okay. It gives you that groove to dance. But I deleted it mwahahahaahaha.
miss barnes
when i used to go on itunes during school i always saw her videos but i never clicked..maybe i will later
hi-C
I love M.I.A. Her cd, Arular, is such hottness. Her beats are SICKand she actually incorporates some meaning into her lyrics, like Missy on a conscious tip. I wanted to see her when she came to DC last month with LCD Soundsystem but I was working and I wouldn't've been able to attend even if I got tickets -_-
not_your_average
Aw. But I agree with you.
Hiphop d[-_-]b
she looks pretty.
i have to dl some of her music when im at home
beambitious
She sounds o.k. but I have no idea what she's saying but I like the beat.
miss barnes
her voice is urmm..interesting
5ayuri
I like the song Galang.
I'm hearing it music.gif
rockstermonkey
I've heard a lot about M.I.A. and her album "arular". I've only heard "galang" myself, and I'm sure I'm not the only one branding her the "next big thing". I mean, she has the looks, the rhythm, and the lyrics. What else IS there?
m0hawkedd22
yeah shes kool i like her other song "bucky dun gun" or however its spelled lol
KINGP.I.M.P.
i heard her first single.it sucks and she does TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mouse_3k
She sucks...shes like speakin in ethiopian or gibberish or some crap. she doesnt even have a good voice...let alone her songs make no sense at all....galang galang galang WTF is that? she should get out of the music business and STAY OUT
hi-C
^ blink.gif She's speaking English..."Who the hell is tailing you in the BMW / How'd the hell he find you? / Feds gonna get to you." Oh and "London calling, speak the slang now, boys say what gwan girls say what." That's from "Galang" and it's definitely English.

And she's not singing, it's dancehall.

Oh yeah, she has a song with Missy on her new cd The Cookbook and the ish is hot.
turbulent
ive heard of her, ive got my whole cd on my comp.. but most of her songs kinda annoy me sad.gif
LiLEthiopian
QUOTE(mouse_3k @ Aug 1 2005, 4:30 PM)
She sucks...shes like speakin in ethiopian or gibberish or some crap. she doesnt even have a good voice...let alone her songs make no sense at all....galang galang galang WTF is that? she should get out of the music business and STAY OUT

Umm..sweetie, that is definately not Ethiopian.. mellow.gif And I think MissMata verified the type of music she brings..if you don't like it, too bad.

Get you facts straight...kthx.
YourSuperior
Whoa! She's from Sri Lanka! Cool! I've never heard of her before. I should get some of her songs.
royalfreshness
QUOTE(mouse_3k @ Aug 1 2005, 4:30 PM)

she isnt speaking ethiopian. i know cos i am ethiopian.

i love her album. it's like that in my opinion. it's different and unique. i'm not going to sit here and bash you for your opinion.
iheartjohn
I've never heard of her, but I'm always open to new music. Thanks for the info.
Im So Vain
She's alright, her sound is definately very unique. Just hope she releases some better stuff though.
lilliannnn
I think she's weird. What is "galang"? Oh well, more power to her.
R-Mac
I love her music. I've had her CD for quite some time. It's definitely an acquired taste, since it's so different. My favorite song would have to be Pull Up The People.

You can't really judge her just from Galang, that's like judging 50 Cent from Disco Inferno.
angel-roh
She's getting famous.

She's even going to be in this one concert with Gwen Stefani!!!
ThePrincessofTKD
i saw her on mtv. it`s nice to see a new different style.
iiTsDAYNA
Saw her on MTV. I dont like that brand of music.
ANG33ZY
Missing In Action?

Lol. I never heard of her until now. i'll check out her music.........
Tainted Euphoria
I like her stuff. It's different. And for some reason, I'm a sucker for Indian artist (even British ones), lol.
bballchick1
She's not really THAT new but yeah, she's got cool music. She has a new song out - I think it's called "Bucky Got Shot".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.