Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: stereotyping rap
Forums > Community Center > Music
Pages: 1, 2
jnukes
i tried searching .. didn't come up with anything ..

SERIOUSLY .. it HECKA bothers me when people stereotype rap .. stuff that i've heard/seen

1 ]] . in class a few weeks ago, my classmates and I were talking about music .. and what our favorite genre of music was .. and i said " rap " .. and some doofus is like " rap is tha worst kind of music !!! .. it's pointless !!! all they rap about is sex, drugs, money and being tha club !!!" .. and i asked him " have you even heard of talib kweli ? " .. he said ' no ' .. and i told him he has NO idea what he's talking about , then ..

2 ]] . in p.e, we're doing badminton .. and we formed up teams, and made up our own names .. and these one group of guys we're like "OUR TEAM'S NAME IS TUPAC ! .. " and they ran around like "fo' shnazzle i like Snapple !! " , " bitches and hoes, bitches and hoes ! " .. "yo yo yo yo yo !!! " .. stubborn.gif .. forrealz, not all rappers are like that ..

3 ]] . and people know i listen to rap .. , so like some people, when they see me, they're like " SUP GANGSTA ?? " .. or " WASSUP HOMIE ?? YO YO YO YO ! " ..

i mean .. i'm not putting anyone/thing down or anything .. i gott love for rock/punk/emo .. but it's just stupid how people think rap is all about drugs, sex, money, ect ect ..

does anyone feel me ? .. anything to say .. ?

edit \\

QUOTE(jnukes)
]Bummmmmmpp ..

people really need to read this .. i just gott through reading 4 pages of " tha worst genre of music " .. w/ people disliking rap and stereotyping it .. pinch.gif
nightmare4taki
I really dont care.
d0nchikit0
People think I "Dress the part"...

I always go.. WTF is that supposed to mean? I like wearing T-shirts.. Striped Shirts.. Hoodies.. Bapes.. Fitted Hats.. So what? It pisses me off...

I do listen to rap though.. I think its good, not the commercial stuff.. well not 98% of it. It is stereotyped, all the time. Especially when people say Rap is Crap.. But really, they haven't heard it. It's just dumb.
basick
i was going to make a topic similar to this...

well you know what is really gay? people that say "rap isnt even music... its just people talking fast..." .. in my opinion rap is the highest form of music because rap is the only genre in which an average person can express their views and feelings in a song... other genres force you to be able to play an instrument, dance, have a great voice, look attractive, etc ... also rap is also one of the few genres where artists write theri own lyrics .. rap today might not be good music but saying rap is not music is stupid..

and people know i listen to rap .. , so like some people, when they see me, they're like " SUP GANGSTA ?? " .. or " WASSUP HOMIE ?? YO YO YO YO ! " ..

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

"fo' shnazzle i like Snapple !! "

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
d0nchikit0
Rap is the closest form of poetry in music.
I also like Rock, so I can't say anything about.
When I think about it, Rock and Rap are alike, because they both have their own following, and rock is also stereotyped.

That's what ticks me. The stereotyping.. Especially when people think that just because they listen to Eminem and 50 Cent that they are real rap fans. There are so many rappers I can name off the top of my head, so many rock bands I can name off the top of my head, but nothing else. That's because the others aren't really lyrically driven.

Not to say all rock is lyrically driven, same thing for some rap songs.
nightmare4taki
QUOTE(basick @ May 26 2005, 6:19 PM)
in my opinion rap is the highest form of music

For shizzle. I like all forms of music since I took no part in creating it so therefore I really don' t have a right to criticize anyone's form of music. I wish I could have been creative enough to come up with all the music genres people listen to.

EDIT
I like rap because there is so much more to it than just rap itself.
In other forms of music you only sing, but in rap you can compete against another artist lyrically to see who has the most brilliant mind. Hip-Hop for instance isn't just music its a culture. Hip hop is so versatile because there's B-Boy,Breakdance, and you can express yourself as you so please.
Saeglopur
I admit there are some splendid rappers out there. I think if I were to chose one this moment, I think Talib Kweli is swell. (Hah, what's up with me and these old 70 year old words?)

Anyway, a lot of stereotyping goes on throughout music in my school. Rock has it's punks and stuff, Rap has it's gangsters and stuff, Country has it's hillbillys and stuff, Classical has it's geeks and stuff, ... yeah, I can go on. Now, I'm not stereotyping but this is what I hear from my school.

The last paragraph is just a sidenote. You can ignore it if you want.
miss barnes
i dont let it bother me when people do that because i know that its because they only hear the mainstream stuff and dont know shit.
fameONE
The truest form of musical poetry is the art of expressing thought and feeling through rhyme and rhythm with the assistance of a guided and ear-catchy beat. This, my friends, is hiphop.

Now, this is when the political aspect of it comes in. Rap/HipHop is basically split down the center as rap and hiphop. Rap being your 50 Cents, Eminems, Chingys, etc. HipHop being MosDef, Common, Talib Kweli and the like.

Within all of this, there are subgenres amongst the genre itself. Gangsta rap, east coast rap, crunk, screw, conscious hiphop, hiphop/jazz fusion, r&b/hiphop, the list goes on.

What the ignorant fail to understand is that in every genre of music, you have pure, unfiltered garbage floating on the airwaves and being broadcasted into middle class homes across the country. I guarantee you that hiphop would not have such a bad rep if the household name was "Gift of Gab" instead of "50 Cent."

HipHop clothing is obsolete. The clothing to fit the urban lifestyle is a trend that will soon be a thing of the past. Why? Turn on the newest Nelly video. He's wearing a Michael Kors button down with diamond cufflings and glasses that surely hit the 500 dollar mark. FuBu anyone?

So where does that leave us? It leaves all fans of hiphop to be left with the burden of narrowminded stereotypes and heat from such douchebags like Bill O Reilly. There's just as much hiphop out there with a positive message as there is with a negative. The media is, more or less, the primary reason why you see such atrocities like; senseless and pointless violence, irresponsible sex scenes degrading women and the free use of drugs.

Going on with the media, those (insert obscene insult) are the ones who hype up such a lifestyle, sell it to youths that aren't accustomed to it and then turn around and bash it. I hate to lay down this card, but a bunch of negroes wildin' out on TV is anything to get the conservative media's panties wet.

[Random Tidbit: Cross Canadian Ragweed is a country band that talks freely about drugs, brawls, degrading women and, for the most part, are complete racists and do you hear O Reilly grillin them? Do you hear them at all in mainstream? Not at all. But you'll hear Kenny Chesney and Garth Brooks]

Whats my point? We, as a community (hiphop), need to do what we can do to educate and hopefully it'll will trickle "up" to those in the corporate broadcast world so they'll see what hiphop really is all about.

Black Eyed Peas- June 7
miszSERENiTY
Yeaa..a lot of people at my school think its "hilarious" to pretned to be gangster or whatever..and say sh*t like "skeet skeet skeet" over and over...I`m like wtf...it was cute at first..but really stop. Rap is seriously stereotyped. Yea I have to admit, some of rap REALLY is crap..and a lot of rappers need to learn some respect before they open their mouths but I stay away from that kind of rap...anyways...back to the subject...oh sh*t.. I forgot what I was gonna say in the first place..oh well..I`ll come back to this.. rolleyes.gif <--airhead.
nightmare4taki
QUOTE(miszSERENiTY @ May 26 2005, 9:19 PM)
anyways...back to the subject...oh sh*t.. I forgot what I was gonna say in the first place..oh well..I`ll come back to this.. rolleyes.gif <--airhead.

HAHAHAHA laugh.gif

That was funny.
inthemudhole
Well, in all honesty... every genre of music has its own stereotype.

I hear the same shit about metal.

"All they do is swear and scream!"
"No talent required!"
"It's gross!"
"You don't need to be good to be able to yell!"

Every genre gets that, but I see what you mean.
ItzOnlySydney
^ yea.

there are a bunch of people who think rock is "stupis" and "screams" and "crap" and justr stuff like that i just blow it off. people think that just because i listen to rock i COMPLETELY hate rap/r&b/pop but i DON'T. i just PERFER rock over most everything else so yea.
EmmalieV
QUOTE(jnukes @ May 26 2005, 8:12 PM)
2 ]] .  in p.e, we're doing badminton .. and we formed up teams, and made up our own names .. and these one group of guys we're like "OUR TEAM'S NAME IS TUPAC ! .. " and they ran around like "fo' shnazzle i like Snapple !! " , " bitches and hoes, bitches and hoes ! " .. "yo yo yo yo yo !!! " ..  stubborn.gif .. forrealz, not all rappers are like that ..

Imaoooo , a guy in my class stay sayin " bitches and hoes " , im like stfu.

Well , not alot of people stereotype in my class , their to slow to comment about anything like that.
Arsenic&OldLace
I feel for you, jnukes. I used to be just like that. I hope I'm still not like that now, though.

Like, my friend Liz, everytime she HEARS the word rap, she's all, "You can't spell CRAP without RAP." And it just annoys the hell out of me..she's so judgemental.

Rap is music. It has verses and choruses, and whatnot. It doesn't have to be a type of music that I like, though.

<3 Francesca
xquizit
Can't blame them when that's what is presented in mainstream/commercial rap.
x_far_x
Dude, I feel ya. That's because the majority of rap music today only talks about that, and that the rappers that raps about the stuff that really matters doesnt really get the respect they deserve. So to me, the "rap" that I hear on the radio is not rap to me, its pop music. When people make music to sell their images instead of their music, its pop music, or just plain garbage. Dont get me wrong, I still listen to rap, good ones.

-FaR
mzkandi
QUOTE(xquizit @ May 27 2005, 12:24 PM)

Exactly. What most people are exposed to is the side that promotes ass and titties, fine cars and clothes and tons of money. Where is the real stuff? Pushed back I say. Not to say I dont like mainstream hip hop because that is far from true.
FLIPxADDICTION
rap's not my thing.
d0nchikit0
QUOTE(FLIPxADDICTION @ May 27 2005, 7:03 PM)
rap's not my thing.

How is that contributing again?
Angel_Cece
i totally agree with you. people havent heard rap and they're making a whole different scenerio about it
3 ]] . and people know i listen to rap .. , so like some people, when they see me, they're like " SUP GANGSTA ?? " .. or " WASSUP HOMIE ?? YO YO YO YO ! " ..
And that happens to me all the time! kinda annoying.
Arsenic&OldLace
QUOTE(d0nchikit0 @ May 27 2005, 10:22 PM)
How is that contributing again?

Maybe she means that rap isn't her thing but she won't make fun of people who listen to it. [ shrug ]

<3 Francesca
d0nchikit0
I meant why did she post here then.

Reggae/Reggaeton is also stereotyped. Everything is stereotyped, at least all the music genres are. Emo, Punk, Bachata, Merengue, Reggaeton, Jazz, Blues, RnB, Hip Hop...
MrElsewhere
Well you can't blame people for their misconception about rap, especially if they've only been exposed to mainstream.

all they rap about is sex, drugs, money and being tha club !!!

that's true. mainstream rappers do talk about that all the time. It's what's wrong with mainstream...
Arsenic&OldLace
QUOTE(d0nchikit0 @ May 31 2005, 10:01 PM)

Reggae/Reggaeton is also stereotyped. Everything is stereotyped, at least all the music genres are. Emo, Punk, Bachata, Merengue, Reggaeton, Jazz, Blues, RnB, Hip Hop...

Yeah, got to agree with you on that..

Jnukes, I say, next time someone makes fun of rap after you mention it, make fun of the music they listen to. =)

<3 Francesca
sadolakced acid
rap is what people who can't sing (or lipsync) do.

biggrin.gif
sorry sorry i couldn't resist.

to me, rap isn't really music. it's more of poetry read to music. still an art... just not, you know, play an instrument, sing a song, music.

music takes talent (which i seem to lack)- rapping, apparently, you don't need talent (someone said that in this thread).

haha even i could rap... if i really wanted to.

it's art... just not musical art.

(and p.s.- rock bands often write their own songs. i'm sure other genres do to. except, maybe, pop. )
d0nchikit0
You do realize how bashed you are going to get right?

Not only by them.. but by me.
I mean... it is music. Who are you to define what music is?
If you put a guitar in, it is still rap, no? Would you call that music? Think like..
hm... I can't think of any songs with strings in them right now.. oh I got one.
How about Twista's Celebrity Overnight? It has a violin and orchestras... What's the difference between that and other songs? Not everyone has talent... and you think you can rap, but you really can't.. since.. it takes talent. Not any talent like speaking quick or knowing how to write...
basick
QUOTE(basick @ May 26 2005, 4:19 PM)
well you know what is really gay? people that say "rap isnt even music... its just people talking fast..." .. in my opinion rap is the highest form of music because rap is the only genre in which an average person can express their views and feelings in a song... other genres force you to be able to play an instrument, dance, have a great voice, look attractive, etc ... also rap is also one of the few genres where artists write theri own lyrics .. rap today might not be good music but saying rap is not music is stupid..

sorry, just had to do it.
jnukes
QUOTE(Arsenic&OldLace @ May 31 2005, 7:12 PM)
[size=1]

Yeah, got to agree with you on that..

Jnukes, I say, next time someone makes fun of rap after you mention it, make fun of the music they listen to. =)

<3 Francesca
[/font]

i did one time ..

i was like " oooOooHhh .. mY cHeMiCaL rOmAnCe .. my life sucks & and i cut .. wAhHH booOOoo .. cry.gif "
Ujio
Yeah I hate the ignorance of people in terms of defining rap as 'people just talking fast'.

If idiots use that type of definition then you could easily define punk rock or any kind as 'people who just whine on the mic'.

Seriously, id respect someone who didnt like rap if they did their research and actually knew what real hip-hop is.
d0nchikit0
Hey... I like My Chemical Romance.. lol
basick
just like people say rap is just people talking fast (which isnt true)... you could say rock is just people screaming (which isnt true)...

which i why i dont say that back.. cause it is just stereotyping..
Saeglopur
QUOTE(jnukes @ Jun 1 2005, 8:21 PM)
i did one time ..

i was like " oooOooHhh .. mY cHeMiCaL rOmAnCe .. my life sucks & and i cut .. wAhHH booOOoo ..  cry.gif "

See ... it's kind of stupid to complain about stereotyping rap when you made a come back about stereotyping another genre... bah.
basick
QUOTE(Days Nearly Over @ Jun 1 2005, 4:56 PM)
See ... it's kind of stupid to complain about stereotyping rap when you made a come back about stereotyping another genre... bah.
yeah, that is even worse. i dont even listen to much rock but i dont go around saying rock is just people screaming... good post
Ujio
For clarification: I would define rock like that only if i was as ignorant as the people that would define rap as 'people who talk fast'.
jnukes
QUOTE(Days Nearly Over @ Jun 1 2005, 4:56 PM)

exactly -- i didn't really mean it when i said that up there about MCR

i gott love for other genres of music -- but when it comes to people talking crap about something they don't even know, like tha REAL rap, it just makes me mad
Looow
QUOTE(xquizit @ May 27 2005, 11:24 AM)

exactly what I was going to say.
b0st0ngrl
i was going to make a topic similar to this...

^I know lots of artists who don't rap who can express themselves perfectly. I.E. Anna Nalick is not a rapper but she doesn't play an instrument or dance or "look attractive". She said that some of her lyrics come straight out of her diary..

I personally don't listen to rap music. But I don't listen to it because it's just not appealing to my ears, not because I don't think it's music.
Arsenic&OldLace
QUOTE(sadolakced acid @ May 31 2005, 10:26 PM)

biggrin.gif

to me, rap isn't really music.  it's more of poetry read to music.  still an art...  just not, you know, play an instrument, sing a song, music. 

music takes talent (which i seem to lack)-  rapping, apparently, you don't need talent (someone said that in this thread).

haha even i could rap...  if i really wanted to.

(and p.s.-  rock bands often write their own songs.  i'm sure other genres do to.  except, maybe, pop.  )

Wow..I bet you've listened to like, one rap song.

I'm not saying I like rap, but I'm not going to say it takes no talent..

And it is musical art. Rap songs have choruses, verses, just like any other song in another genre.

Why do you assume that every rapper doesn't write his/her song? Do you even know all the rappers out there? Definitely not.

And who's to say that EVERY rock band writes their own songs?? You're probably only thinking of mainstream rappers when you say that they don't write their own music. But I bet mainstream "rock" bands are the same exact way.

<3 Francesca
basick
QUOTE(sadolakced acid @ May 31 2005, 7:26 PM)

then why arent you making hit records right now? if its that easy then why isnt everyone making millions?
Paradox of Life
QUOTE(sadolakced acid @ May 31 2005, 9:26 PM)

biggrin.gif

to me, rap isn't really music.  it's more of poetry read to music.  still an art...  just not, you know, play an instrument, sing a song, music. 

music takes talent (which i seem to lack)-  rapping, apparently, you don't need talent (someone said that in this thread).

(and p.s.-  rock bands often write their own songs.  i'm sure other genres do to.  except, maybe, pop.  )

Not anyone can rap. Rap is about rhythm. If you don't have rhythm, you can't rap. That's how simple it is. People who really enjoy rapping and can write and can put some rhythm in their words, are rappers. But if their words mean nothing, they're bad rappers. I personally don't like rap. And most of the popular songs are about sex and drugs and violence (thanks to 50 cent). The only rap I enjoy is from Eminem because it's weird, funny and some of them actually MEAN SOMETHING unlike several other raps I've heard. Now I'm done.
simx
QUOTE(nightmare4taki @ May 26 2005, 7:15 PM)
I really dont care.
O x LiseE x O
QUOTE(jnukes @ May 26 2005, 8:12 PM)
i tried searching .. didn't come up with anything ..

SERIOUSLY .. it HECKA bothers me when people stereotype rap .. stuff that i've heard/seen
1 ]] .  in class a few weeks ago, my classmates and I were talking about music .. and what our favorite genre of music was .. and i said " rap " .. and some doofus is like " rap is tha worst kind of music !!! .. it's pointless !!! all they rap about is sex, drugs, money and being tha club !!!" .. and i asked him " have you even heard of talib kweli ? " .. he said ' no ' .. and i told him he has NO idea what he's talking about , then ..
2 ]] .  in p.e, we're doing badminton .. and we formed up teams, and made up our own names .. and these one group of guys we're like "OUR TEAM'S NAME IS TUPAC ! .. " and they ran around like "fo' shnazzle i like Snapple !! " , " bitches and hoes, bitches and hoes ! " .. "yo yo yo yo yo !!! " ..  stubborn.gif .. forrealz, not all rappers are like that ..

i mean .. i'm not putting anyone/thing down or anything .. i gott love for rock/punk/emo .. but it's just stupid how people think rap is all about drugs, sex, money, ect ect ..

does anyone feel me ? .. anything to say .. ?

You are soo right. But then so are they, MOST rap songs only have to do with BUTTS, BOOBS, SEX, DRUGS, MONEY, CARS, and everything else... but I still like it. I hate when people come up to me saying that too "Yo whaddup gangsta" or "Homie g" or "Homie skillet" it's f unny but sometimes it's just OUTUSED. But I guess I'll get over it...
heyyfrankie
"fo' shnazzle i like Snapple !! "

roflmfao! tongue.gif
---
yeah, people do that at my school and it just bothers me so much. they also do it for people who are on the step team. they're like, "yo nigga, i know how to step! BREAK IT DOWN NOW...GET IT KRUNK" just saying stupid stuff like that. stubborn.gif
jnukes
Bummmmmmpp ..

people really need to read this .. i just gott through reading 4 pages of " tha worst genre of music " .. w/ people disliking rap and stereotyping it .. pinch.gif
sadolakced acid
you don't believe me that anyone can rap?

(ok, fine, i just remembered jason.)

rap, to me is glorified poetry...

here goes nothing (feel free to laugh at me)

this dude, he started out dissing rap
i said no way in hell i'm taking this crap
so i stood up and yelled 'what you saying
i hope you ain't serious, cus i ain't playing'
he stood there in front of me and what did he say?
'in rap there ain't no music to play'
and so that little pathetic punk rocker
told me all i was is a really fast talka
and i stood there and thought, damn he's right
and here i was `bout to put up a fight.

yes, rapping takes rythm and lyrical skill. so does poetry. rapping, to me, is poetry. i like poetry. and i think raps are a way of presenting poetry. and that's what i think it is.
nightmare4taki
QUOTE(sadolakced acid @ Jun 11 2005, 1:27 AM)

Damn, you took it back old school then. Like when hip hop was first started old.
I liked it though, it was nice. biggrin.gif
mzkandi
QUOTE(sadolakced acid @ Jun 11 2005, 3:27 AM)
you don't believe me that anyone can rap? 

(ok, fine, i just remembered jason.)

rap, to me is glorified poetry...

here goes nothing (feel free to laugh at me)

yes, rapping takes rythm and lyrical skill.   so does poetry.   rapping, to me, is poetry.  i like poetry.  and i think raps are a way of presenting poetry.  and that's what i think it is.

Damn, you took it back old school then. Like when hip hop was first started old.
I liked it though, it was nice

Agreed. That was nice. Pretty impressive.
Mr. Slowjamz
mu·sic ( P ) Pronunciation Key (myzk)
n.
1.The art of arranging sounds in time so as to produce a continuous, unified, and evocative composition, as through melody, harmony, rhythm, and timbre.
2.Vocal or instrumental sounds possessing a degree of melody, harmony, or rhythm.

yea all i can say Rap IS music . I even have the written score for Changes by Tupac in 112 .....you can actually see staccato notes in the beginning off the measures ....its like looking at notes for a perccusionist .

In order for Rap to be considered Music it has to be Arranged ..meaning you have to add musical backgrounds too your song ...or it wont counter-act melody .
Ni99aRican
I really don't care. Let people hate on the music all they want. Im going to continue to listen to it no matter what. I could stereotype rock just as easily as rap. I wouln't worry about it being stereotyped though because most of the people who stereotype it are more than likely rockers who feel the need to criticize rap because they don't fully enjoy the music they listen to. There are forms of music in which I don't necessarily listen to, but you won't find me posting on a forum saying how it doesn't require talent.

Topic Claimed
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.