Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FTP
Forums > Resource Center > Graphics Help > Graphics Help Resolved Topics
SystemDamaged
Ok, so I was bored today, and decided to try to start my own subdomain using a free web hoster (www.0catch.com) I downloaded the trial version of WS_FTP and have put in my address and username and password, and know how to transfer files, but when I transfer my index.html file (Wrote HTML in word document, then saved it as .html), the HTML doesn't come up but it just comes up as words, i.e. like this:

www.typicalquirk.0catch.com

Could someone be patient with me and go through this HTML stuff? I'm such a loser *shakes head at self*
avalon*
Try putting your code in Notepad. I write all my code in Notepad, then it's saved as a .txt, right? Then I transfer it over using FTP, and right click and edit the file name by changing the .txt part to a .html. Then it should work.

For example...
index.txt gets changed to index.html after you transfer the file.
IGB
PROBABLY because you're using windows XP, and the "Hide Extension for known file types" option is ON. So when you renamed the file index.html, in reality it's still index.html.txt?

Go to "Tools" => "Folder options" in your windows explorer, it's under "view". Uncheck "Hide Extension for known file types", then rename your file again.

It's the arguably the worst feature on Windows XP.
mona lisa
^ Well, you don't have to do that. When you're in Notepad or Word and you're saving it, click "All file types" at the bottom and type in the filename.html at the end. be sure to type in .htm or .html at the end. But I believe you can save as HTML in Word.
SystemDamaged
Oh wow, it's working now, thanks to y'all for your comments back, THANKS X1000! biggrin.gif
avalon*
Topic closed
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.