Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Emo
Forums > Community Center > Music
Pages: 1, 2
likethestardust
Whats your defintion of the word "emo"... i am so emo... lol i just wanna know your opinion! luv yas!!! wub.gif
hybrid
Apparently, I'm not emo. (Or.. somewhat like that.) So I don't know what you mean. (It could mean "emo"tional. But, please don't kill me.)
peanutbutterbbb
emo people are strange.

definition: A type of comedy in which sly intellectual and philosophical observation is cleverly packaged as the rantings of a shy mental defective.
visualfusion
I've always thought emo ment ... EMOtional... or maybe ELMO! hammer.gif
AlwayzADreamur
i think it means that the person is strange.

iono.. someone look it up in the dictionary.. haha to0 lazy.
stryker76
Ummm emo is short for emotional...i have friend that listens to emop music....me tho im a hard rocker....but he says its emo because the music is bout emotional stuff that happens in the writers life....writer usually being the singer....many of which cry on stage or on cd when singing the song....thus emotional..... huh.gif
Kathleen
QUOTE(stryker76 @ Mar 30 2004, 8:09 PM)
Ummm emo is short for emotional...i have friend that listens to emop music....me tho im a hard rocker....but he says its emo because the music is bout emotional stuff that happens in the writers life....writer usually being the singer....many of which cry on stage or on cd when singing the song....thus emotional..... huh.gif

Mmm - I agree. This is what I always thought emo meant. When I think of emo music, I think of Dashboard Confessional or Taking Back Sunday.
iheartsimba
all it means is u like music with meanings. that's me. im not punk. but im definitly emo.
CEP
emo = emotional

I love emo.

- Chinkieeyedpnoi
CloudUnionX
A genre of softcore punk music that integrates unenthusiastic melodramatic teens who dont smile, its high pitched overwrought lyrics and inaudible guitar rifts with tight wool sweaters, tighter jeans, itchy scarfs (even in the summer), ripped chucks with favorite bands signature, black square rimmed glasses, and greasy unwashed hair that is required to cover at least 3/5 of the face at an angle.

Another defenition:

The type of music you listen to when, try as you might, you cannot get laid...and cry about it...

Example: man, ive been listening to a lotta emo lately
waccoon
glad to see you know how to use urban dictionary. here's another one:

Started in the 1980's after the demise of Minor Threat and Birth of Embrace and Rites of spring. It was a sub genre of hardcore driven primarily by emotion instead of the screaming, fast drums, loud guitars, etc. of traditional hardcore. The term was coined by Ian McKaye (who was the lead singer of embrace and now currently plays in Fugazi) during an interview.
CloudUnionX
yep! biggrin.gif
DisneyPrincessKate
emo is a style of music, but like everything else today, it's been turned into a fashion thing. it's short for emotional
starling
emo's good. but how many times can you break up with the same person and write a song about it? tongue.gif haha, don't get me wrong, i love the stuff.
melface
Dashboard Confessional is emo to the extreme... I listen to 'emo' and i'm an 'emo' person... but i also listen to metal and hard rock and some techno/trance... but i don't wear scarfs or black rimmed glasses or anything like that...

emo=emotional. it's not that hard to understand and nearly everyone here has said it.
Stupid_Fat_Boy
i like to listen to emo when im all emo. Feels real nice
visualfusion
QUOTE(AlwayzADreamur @ Mar 30 2004, 3:30 PM)
i think it means that the person is strange.

iono.. someone look it up in the dictionary.. haha to0 lazy.

I don't think it's in the dictionary... o_O
DisneyPrincessKate
amazingly long definition of emo

Ok, it isn't really a novel, but I didn't finish it.
Alk3
from what i've heard from argumentative "emo people".. emo used to be emotional hardcore. today, people usually think of emo as stuff like dashboard or those 'pop-rock' groups with those "i lost my girlfriend" lyrics. if you were to talk to one of those argumentative emo people I mentioned earlier, they'd bite your heads off if you called something like dashboard emo. blink.gif

Oh.. I went sort of offbase..

my definition for emo is-- a place in ontario, canada tongue.gif
krnxswat
Emo means "Aunt" in Korean... tongue.gif
hybrid
Hahaha. ^^ funny dude. See? I was ALMOST right on my first try. happy.gif
LuShuZxLaNa
when i think about emo.... i think about 'the cure' or 'bright eyes'
melface
Rites of Spring are awesome... I like Bright Eyes...

Dashboard.. thumbs down... a bit TOO emo... it makes me want to throw up... and the acoustic... ew...
stryker76
QUOTE(DisneyPrincessKate @ Mar 30 2004, 10:36 PM)
emo is a style of music, but like everything else today, it's been turned into a fashion thing.  it's short for emotional

Yes emo has a style but every type of music has a following...every following has it own set of values and ideas....which the group believes is expressed by the music they enjoy.....emo like them all has its own style....which is close to punk but not as extreme.....all music "style" allow us to do is help express our individuallity....i listen to rock, some old punk, some rap, some country, old rock, southern rock, and what ever else catchs my ear.....everything music is is expressed by the people...Music is the base for Diversity.....Music makes our world....
angel-roh
watz an EMO? u mean elmo? heehee
angel-roh
QUOTE(krnxswat @ Mar 31 2004, 6:31 PM)
Emo means "Aunt" in Korean... tongue.gif

PUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA so true so true emo means aunt in korean hahaha...newais so emo-means emotional? okok^^;; hehe
justin_park85
QUOTE(anqel_r0h @ Apr 1 2004, 12:13 AM)
PUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA so true so true emo means aunt in korean hahaha...newais so emo-means emotional? okok^^;; hehe

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA susan...tsk tsk haha... well emo- means emotional......... i dont like rock emo stuff...haha.... just christian rocks is ok...hah yawn.gif
dani41790
wow theres alot of meanings for emo
likethestardust
haha... im emo.... i love emo... i dress emo... i sing emo... i write emo... i cut emo... i c r y e m o
CJ1
Emo is this kind of food I buy at some store... I forgot where... A foreign one though...
Mireh
MOVED TO : ENTERTAINMENT

Emo: Short for Emotional...

Type of music which is kinda like punk, but with more in-depth lyrics
brian_deegan
QUOTE(Alk3 @ Mar 31 2004, 6:30 PM)
from what i've heard from argumentative "emo people".. emo used to be emotional hardcore. today, people usually think of emo as stuff like dashboard or those 'pop-rock' groups with those "i lost my girlfriend" lyrics. if you were to talk to one of those argumentative emo people I mentioned earlier, they'd bite your heads off if you called something like dashboard emo. blink.gif

Oh.. I went sort of offbase..

my definition for emo is-- a place in ontario, canada tongue.gif

dashboard is NOT emo...emo bands arnt only about emo lyrics but an understanding of the lyrics to go along with the beat...like sad lyrics = slow song and happy lyrics = fast song...and well good emo bands always have at least some screaming...
perdyperdybirdy
emotional
stina
Emo...Emo person or emo music? I mean...Emo basically is short for emotional. And emo music is music that you can feel and relate too on a more personal level I think. An emo person...Is an emotional person. All this is my opinion, but I looooveeee emo music, and I guess I'm emotional. So does that make me emo?..LoL.
Alk3
QUOTE(brian_deegan @ Apr 2 2004, 9:42 PM)
dashboard is NOT emo...emo bands arnt only about emo lyrics but an understanding of the lyrics to go along with the beat...like sad lyrics = slow song and happy lyrics = fast song...and well good emo bands always have at least some screaming...

ok.. i know. lmao..

I'm assuming you were talking to me when you said that since you quoted me.
Joyie
Read Nothing Feels Good by Andy Greenwald.
JlIaTMK
emo=emotional

yeah.... thats it.... :)
Devastation
QUOTE(likethestardust @ Mar 30 2004, 5:32 PM)
Whats your defintion of the word "emo"... i am so emo... lol i just wanna know your opinion! luv yas!!! wub.gif

i am very emo. emo - emotional, easily "touched", somewhat moody, [I]see loving
miszkristinexox
emo= emotional

emo music is the best

brian_deegan - i totally agree.
distortedMIND
QUOTE(omg_melface @ Mar 31 2004, 7:55 PM)
Dashboard.. thumbs down... a bit TOO emo... it makes me want to throw up... and the acoustic... ew...

cry.gif I love Acoustic bands.

Anyhoo, I always thought that Emo was short for emotional

and well good emo bands always have at least some screaming...

and I agree.
imadorkabledxd
i dnk emo means emotional too..i read it somewhere i think. and the song makes u wanan like freaking cry
ryfitaDF
emo's good when you're sad about a girl.
xtremeliquid
Emo is short for " emotional ". It is a type of music.
delightfullyinsane
emo - a genre of music, evolving from punk and rock, to be a new form of emotional music. mostly embodied now by dashboard confessionla and taking back sunday

or in a short definition, music soley based on emotions
Devastation
goo goo dolls, incubus emo : )
IdealizedDrift
QUOTE(likethestardust @ Mar 30 2004, 5:32 PM)

first off, if you have to say your emo your not, emo is more like a lifestyle then anything else, your look, what you listen to, the way you act, ect. lol type in emo and sites pop up talkin about what you have to wear and what your supposed to act like if your emo here's somethin that i found a in a site that says how you have to dress, mainly it's a joke but it's still pretty true

Appearance.
To obtain the perfect emo look you will need the following:

Clothing
Child's T-shirt - Usually containing a nostalgic cartoon program from the 70s or 80s. Make sure that you are underweight enough so that you will be able to fit into child's t-shirts. Show your inner despair by looking like you are too sad to eat. Obesity and emocity do NOT mix.

Sweater vest - Stolen from father. If said father doesn't wear sweatervests, then steal one from a dad who does wears them.
Black rimmed glasses - For the 'geek chic' look.

Converse shoes - don't forget to write the name of your significant other on them.
Tiny striped shirt - The best place to purchase striped EMO shirts is at Wal-Mart. Just head into the young boy's section and you can usually find them for about $5. If you're lucky enough to be spoiled, you can just head to the local ritzy mall and hit up the GAP or Banana Republic. Do not admit that you bought those shirts from there, but you will feel higher on the EMO social scale if you have the name brand.

Body Mods
Tattoos of stars - Notably nautical stars. You also need to get some tattoos of cherries, sparrows, and a guitar.

You must have at least one or two lip rings. Express your inner pain by showing that you also have outer pain. Stretch your ear lobes to an ung odly gauge like 00 so you can buy the cool plugs with the nautical stars in them.

Hair
Greasy hair - Try avoid showering for 2 or 3 days.
Dyed black hair - Should be floppy if you are male, teased huge if you are female.

Transportation
Emo kids like to drive something called a "Vespa" which is just an expensive moped with a foreign name. You will not be emo until you buy one.

However, if you're not FORTUNATE enough to buy a vespa, EMO kids usually like to drive Kia's, Hyundai's, or those old school Toyota Corollas .

Accessories

Like emo guys, emo girls should also wear wristbands, especially if they're colored all sorts of happy colors. While it might confuse people as to whether you're a raver, piercing your ears like 2983492 times and wearing babydoll shirts with "Unhappy Chick" written on them will eliminate confusion.

If you're an emo girl and you look good, then you're doing something wrong! Gaining a boatload of weight, or slimming down to the width of a pencil will help you look like you're just not good enough to be happy with a significant other.
You must own 3128912 guitars to give off that "I'm in a band" look. So what if you can't play, you LOOK like you can.

Carry around a poetry book and whenever you see your emo soulmate, read them the poem that you wrote for them.
Devastation
i am emo.
IdealizedDrift
QUOTE(Devastation @ Aug 13 2004, 9:58 PM)
i am emo.

congratulations?
Xx majuni xX
QUOTE(omg_melface @ Mar 31 2004, 7:55 PM)
Rites of Spring are awesome... I like Bright Eyes...

yea...dashboard is too emo...and i hate the guy's voice...it's all annoying...but i don't totally hate emo...
highly_evolved
i always thought it was short for emotional. so then u have emo music. its good music. not too bad. but can make me feel depressed
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.