Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: honors or not
Forums > Community Center > Lifestyle > Boys' Locker
Pages: 1, 2
The 1 and only JJ
ok well yeah i was recomended for all honros classes next year but im not sure if i wanna take them cause it's gonna be a lot harder and it's gonna be a lot more work. but it will help me get into North western university since i lost my scholarship for basketball and volleyball. but im just scared that it's gonna bring my grades down and take time away from being with my friends. so should i do it?
mishyerr
First of all, I am in all honors classes. Your grades will drop at least one grade level (A to B, B to C) but as you get used to the harder course, it WILL come back. You need to manage your time a lot more wisely... you can still hangout and do whatever, but the time that you set aside for studying IS for studying! And do not get distracted. If your grades range from A's to high B's, I would recommend you take all honors! But if you are border-line passing, definitely stay in advanced/academic. Honors classes receive much more attention and respect because you are defined as a person with higher learning and comprehension capabilities. They think that you can be exposed to more difficult material and understand it in a shorter amount of time. If this is not you, than another reason to not take it. It really depends on you: I believe everyone can take Honors, just some are too lazy. If you are "scared" to lose time from your friends.. Than you shouldn't take honors. The choice depends on you and what you want: Your future pleasures or your present pleasures.
rnrn897
errr over here its like this
CP < HONORS < GIFTED < AP

now, my cousins stress that honors is so easy - and that its practically the same thing as cp -
the only thing they say will take up my time and commitment is ap.
im taking all honors + 1 ap, and im gonna say that, its challenging but not hard.
hard = able to solve worth shiz

and my friend in a different county tells me she has cp < honors < ap
and that honors is hard - if thats the same for u - i recommend you consider taking half honors, i guess.
xj_liana_tx
if you want to work more toward the successful path, take honors.
The 1 and only JJ
well for us it's more like honors is as high as u can get. but i just might see if i can skip a grade in math because wat im gonna take nest year i took in freshman year cause i recently moved to a new school and it kind of sucks academically and they sucks at sports so that's how i lost my scholarship also they didn't have volleyball. sad.gif
i_liek_sushi
Yes, take honors classes. But more importantly, make your own decisions. happy.gif
LeSLiE
I'm in honors and I HATE it. I'm not in high school tho. I'm in jr. High. But I hardly EVER see my friends anymore. My grades are going down.. very slowly. And to top all of that, I'm stuck with people who only care about school ALL DAY. (Not to be mean to anyone if thats what you're like) It's just that I want someone to talk to.. about things OTHER than school. Soo yeap that's my opinion. You decide what you wanna do.
LiLrEbL365
for us its either regular or honors. our honors courses are easy, but it really does depend on you and what your school offers academically. i would recommend it just so that your college application looks good considering that youre choosing whether or not to get honors for your junior year.

//EDiT
oh yeah plus if they recommended honors for you that probably means you'll do good in it.
sevenup007
Depends on you.
I hated honors classes, too much attention. If you do happen to slip up n have a bad day or something, then it affects one or more of your classes, (let's say project, quiz, test) teachers, parents, counselors, etc. will take a diff. look on you, and they'll hold you up to a higher standard, all the time. It's cool at first, but if you're anything like I am, sometimes you wanna be able to do things just like everyone else. It's kinda like Kobe or MJ or Iverson coming out to a regular neighborhood to shoot hoops. you can pretty much bank on it that the people who see him there won't treat him like any old b-ball player. just something to think about.
Don't let me trick you tho, if it's what you wanna do, and you can handle the pressure, more power to you! happy.gif
Flip-o-Matic
honors = one of many quicker steps to success in early stages. take it. it'll benefit u in the long run.
demolished
hey man, are you from a low class ? eld ?

my advice:

what grade did you usually get before ? if you usually get a b, chances are that you will do okay in honor classes

if you get like a A all the time, chances are good in honor classes
GreenTze
honors = waste of time. sure this will help in the long run but i found it a huge waste of time. enjoy youth while it lasts. the real intensive stuff starts when you taking A.P. classes. that is some real shiz.
inthemudhole
If you think you can handle them all.. well, then go for it.
Seize your opportunities..
Kay, that was cheesy..mellow.gif
behemoth81790
QUOTE(The 1 and only JJ @ Dec 20 2004, 7:05 PM)
ok well yeah i was recomended for all honros classes next year but im not sure if i wanna take them cause it's gonna be a lot harder and it's gonna be a lot more work. but it will help me get into North western university since i lost my scholarship for basketball and volleyball. but im just scared that it's gonna bring my grades down and take time away from being with my friends. so should i do it?

you would expect it to be harder cuz when i came from my middle school i was barely getting 85's. now that im a freshman in high school ive got 90's in every subject. i personally think that u should take the honors...it will look good on ur transcript
lAzN YiN YanGl
If you want to do college stuff early then take it, but if you want a scholarship and you know you won't do your best in it or something then take CP because that is what I'm doing. My freshman and sophomore year I had all honors and I had C's and B's. This year I am taking all CP classes and I have straight A's :-D. Honors don't take that much time from life, but AP classes do. God AP is a pain in the ass for me >.<
yukichan
i would say try it...because u might be able to do well in it...because i took this GT(gifted and talented)class this year and i wasnt sure if i was going to do ok, but then im getting A's in that class right now...
xGlovex
hell yeah! go for it.
lilJdawg
I think you should do it. you'll never know where you'll end up to. If you do take it you'll be accepted into a great college. yennoe' what i mean?
Ington
I think you should take it. Of course it is more work, but think, it could set you for life. But anyway, its your choice. Good luck with it happy.gif
SkaironFrenzy
hard work pays off right? i think its called delayed gratification or something... do u had work now and live it easy later.
dtownhommie8
take it.. ul regret it ltr if u dont
snak3y3z1001
Taking honors or ap classes will actaullt help you out in your senior year. It would look good on your transcript for college and it will also give yur gpa a boost. Im a senior in hs now :)
heyyfrankie
if you think that you are up to it, you should do it. but i hear that is alot of work and it is very hard! but if you are a brainiac or you are very dedicated, than you should do just fine. it jut depends on you. whistling.gif
Chinchillaman
You're lucky that you get to chose. all my school offers is AP (advanced Placement) or IB (International Balacurate) so its either college prep of college courses.
Angel_Cece
yeah man always take advantage of oppurtunities!
Mireh
depends on what you want to do...

if your a biggie on sports, or other things , i'd only take 1/2 honors.

well, w/e floats your boat
lilphoenix
Yes... you ARE lucky that you have a choice. ermm.gif

the rest of us just get thrown into those classes. _dry.gif

and yeah... you should take it.

at least try it, because if you don't, you can always get a AP removal request form [uhh... the kind that your parents sign]

grab the opportunity, you should want to be challenged. happy.gif
xGlovex
do it! do it! do it! do it..lol
salcha
heck yes. im a freshman, and i take all honors courses. it's not that hard..so i don't see how it will be when i get to junior year. you should take some AP's too, haha :p
strice
take it. honors isn't that difficult as long as you do your homework. APs can be pretty brutal, but that depends on the class. i've taken piss easy APs and some suicide inducing ones. English Language was one of the killers. Bio was simple.
sk8ter4life750
For 3 of the honors classes I had we had homework over the summer it sucks. If it wasnt for all the homework I would say yes.
Eryi
I believe he has already chosen his path..
ItzOnlySydney
you have to think about your future here. it will look EXTREMELY good on your college application and i would kill for that chance but that's just me =).
misoshiru
i'm taking almost all honors classes. it depends if you're willing to do the work or not.
lKVNiiKINKYl
If you know you can handle it, go for it.
If your unsure if you can take it, drop down because junior year is most important (I have the same situation =))
wonder__man
you should take them, you might end up liking them!!! and you get into colleges easier
incoherent
all honor classes? thats a lot of work. cant you divide them your junior and senior year? i know at our school you plan your whole senior schedule.
napoleon034
yes, if they think you are right, then you should, more colleges will recognize you for scholorships, etc.
DrSMooTH
yeah. its better if you take them. I'm in cambridge academy at my school. the work is hard as shit, but its worth it because cambridge is world-renouned and will look good on my resume.
DrSMooTH
^ no. all the teachers would say it when the students would complain about all the work
rx_azngirl
i think you should because it'd help you get a better chance at a better college.
pyrochick19770
I'd do it.
I'm taking 4 this coming Junior year.
Ken
id say take it...they are kool sometimes and if u take them early enough ull get used to them...in my jr high we didnt have honors but in high school we did...and because my first courses in high school were all honors i got used to them early on....but its up to u
moorepocket
take it because you get that half credits which can help you a lot.
xchrystizzle
_smile.gif take 'em!! your friends won't be there for you, looking good on your college application ;)
luffyxfan
u really should...
kpx_danny
yes definitely u get so many mor benefits... seriously..... and its pretty ez
ichigofan
Even if you fail or do poorly in honor classes.. Colleges will still accept you because a person who does great in all classes but the classes are mad easy isnt really ready for College work but a person that busted their ass off in a hard class but didnt do as well as he/she could have is far more prepared for college !
megan_x3
Yes, you should take honor classes. I'm in honors in middle school. Don't know if its harder in high but oh well. If you really want to get into that college and you think that taking honor classes can get you in, then take it. Take a shot. Don't worry about the grades. Study hard and you can do it !
lKVNiiKINKYl
Shouldn't this be closed? It's almost a year old and I'm sure he's a junior now...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.