Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: hiphop and rap
Forums > Community Center > Music
Statistik
Whats the difference between hip-hop and rap? arent they the same thing?? why are they different??
x emo screamo x
..... blink.gif I have no clue...Good question though. lol

I probably am no help though. I don't like rap or hop hop.lol
LiLEthiopian
u kno..i wuz asking myself the same question the other day..and i just don't kno..

i think..hip hop is both R&B and Rap..and Rap is just..Rap mellow.gif
inthemudhole
Er.
No idea.
I think Hip-hop is like rap with some other similar things.. err, yeah... ermm.gif I really wouldn't know, though.
racegirl24A
IMO there isnt much of a difference. they both suck, what else is there to know _smile.gif
xquizit
rap is a genre of music whereas hip hop is a culture, a way of life. watch brown sugar.
[i]LLMATiC
^^ OMG!!! xquist ur an effin genius. finally someone who thinks like me. rap is jus music no life style bhind it. hip-hop is a way of living, a life style. hip-hop and r&b is somewhat the same i guess u can say. rap is jus i guess beat box and computer equ. and stuff. r&b is more on beats from instruments. well thats wut i think atleast.
ryfitaDF
so people with hip hop lifestyles listen to rap? then wouldn't their style be rap? or would they listen to hip hop? it still doesn't make sense to me.
basick
Hip Hop is a culture, while rap is a type of music
ryfitaDF
that's stupid. why don't they just have the same name for the lifestyle and the music?
xquizit
Ok, let me school you guys some more on this. Hip Hop is an art form that has four main elements: DJing, MCing/rapping, breakdancing, and grafitti art. So rap emerged from hip-hop culture. Note that not all hip hop music has rapping in it (i.e. music by usher, beyonce, etc). So hip hop does not equal rap.

Hip-Hop is it's own way of life, not just music. The way they do things is more than just music, not just writting rhymes, and just making beats. Hip-Hop is not just rap, Hip-Hop is much more than that.
xquizit
QUOTE(ryfitaDF @ Sep 15 2004, 8:52 PM)
that's stupid. why don't they just have the same name for the lifestyle and the music?

Because of the history. You can read more about it here.
Statistik
OK...rappers can be BOTH hip-hop and rap..for example: nelly..he's hip-hop AND rap
WTFwasIthinking
if you're a rapper, you're under the classification of "hip hop"... but hip hop is thrown around and bein' killed because the mainstream... Nelly IS NOT HIP HOP but that's my angle and opinion....
Jayden84
hip hop is more lyrical, beats, rhymes, flashy

r&b is more soul influenced, coming from the heart, inspirational, focused more on the message in their songs
x emo screamo x
QUOTE(ryfitaDF @ Sep 15 2004, 7:34 PM)
so people with hip hop lifestyles listen to rap? then wouldn't their style be rap? or would they listen to hip hop? it still doesn't make sense to me.

Ha, me either.

And don't quote me. I've tried understanding this but got nothing...
WTFwasIthinking
QUOTE(Jayden84 @ Sep 16 2004, 1:42 PM)
hip hop is more lyrical, beats, rhymes, flashy

r&b is more soul influenced, coming from the heart, inspirational, focused more on the message in their songs

shut the f*ck up... you have no idea what you're talkin' about... hip hop isn't more lyrical, beats, rhymes, flashy

there's raps songs that are completely from the heart, inspirational, soul influenced, and focused on the message of the song... there's plenty R&B tracks without meaning also... what the hell are you talkin' about and/or listening to!?!?!

hip hop is a culture... R&B a form of hip hop music... hip hop's a culture, not a style of music

the style of music that comes from the hip hop culture is R&B and rap... hip hop isn't rap... rap is hip hop "MUSIC"....

and for the last post, anyone can listen to hip hop music... not everybody "LIVES" the hip hop culture... some f*ckin' skater can listen to rap 'n doesn't live the hip hop culture...

hip hop is the clothes you wear, way you talk, way you live, and what you do...

four main elements are grafitti, DJing, MCing (rapping or even bein' a hypeman), and breaking (B-Boying/Girling)...

some of the subcultures are style of dressing, way you talk, R&B music can be considered, and way of living in general
Jayden84
what difference does it make anyways? music is music.. end of story.
stephinika
QUOTE(Jayden84 @ Sep 16 2004, 11:56 AM)
what difference does it make anyways? music is music.. end of story.

i agree. music is music, although the quality can range hehe. happy.gif
xBitterxSweetx
i always thought hip hop was rap+r&b... i dunno. nevermind. mellow.gif
LiLEthiopian
QUOTE(xquizit @ Sep 15 2004, 6:56 PM)
rap is a genre of music whereas hip hop is a culture, a way of life. watch brown sugar.

o yea..lol...it is more like a culture when u think about it..and yes i've seen brown sugar plenty of times...[thanks to HBO] happy.gif
distortedMIND
I think rap is a genre of music, and hip hop is a way of life.

I think some people made this point, though. _unsure.gif

Watching 'Scratch' might help you. Also if you want to learn more about DJ's and whatnot.
acidbreeze
R&B is rhythm and blues
Rap is a lot of freestyling, rhyming, fast lyrics I think it should always have a good beat
Hip-hop is sorta dancing music
xquizit
QUOTE(xquizit @ Sep 15 2004, 8:53 PM)
Ok, let me school you guys some more on this. Hip Hop is an art form that has four main elements: DJing, MCing/rapping, breakdancing, and grafitti art. So rap emerged from hip-hop culture. Note that not all hip hop music has rapping in it (i.e. music by usher, beyonce, etc). So hip hop does not equal rap.

Hip-Hop is it's own way of life, not just music. The way they do things is more than just music, not just writting rhymes, and just making beats. Hip-Hop is not just rap, Hip-Hop is much more than that.

rolleyes.gif

I already answered this question you guys... read.
basick
QUOTE(hippo @ Sep 16 2004, 6:30 PM)
R&B is rhythm and blues
Rap is a lot of freestyling, rhyming, fast lyrics I think it should always have a good beat
Hip-hop is sorta dancing music

you dont know what you are talking about.
lucky_clover
hm..... no clue and don't care, lol.
nyctophiliac
i dunno either? blink.gif that's a good question!
throb.gif Steph
CloudUnionX
I don't know, and I really could'nt care less.
PinkTrash
Rap is the actual lyrics, and hiphop is with the music.. I guess.
Err Yeah either way I dont like any of it.
jr0h
hip hop is like a really good song that pumps you up with good beats. then rap is just like a lot of fast singing.
royalfreshness
Hip hop is easier to dance to?... I dunno I used to wonder the same thing. It's that rap can get boring at a time so it's all turning into hip-hop.

[and those people who say "i dunno i dont care" then dont' respond -_-;;]
ichiban
I think hip-hop has more meaning to it. Rap is just ... blah. Hrmm ... I don't listen to much of that stuff nowadays. Unless it's Eminem. Wait, is Eminem rap or hip-hop? o_O okay nvm
basick
uhh you guys xquizit explained it perfectly already on the first page
nockey
i thought

hip hop was like..ehhh...ummm i donno sumthing to do with tha beats and stuff
and
rap is mostly freestyling and stuff...

ehhh i donno blink.gif

oh whoops xquizit explained it...lol ma bad
xquizit
Please refer to my previous post: http://www.createblog.com/forums/index.php...ndpost&p=604898
raw_material
"commercial rap get your original gun clap"

like xquizit said hip hop is the culture..back in the days when it was all about the good stuff...now a days we got 50 wankster rapping about how much money and how many hoes he can pull..that aint hip hop...many pple like that junk club music stuff 2 get krunk with...but its a big difference...from punch lines to how much ice you have....i think this rap game is so wack....its getting wacker by the year....so yea hip hop is the culture...rap is just rapping crap...big difference...1
queen
i'm surprised no one mentioned the 16 bars deal.

"At its rhythmic core, hip hop swings. Instead of a straight 4/4 count (pop music; rock 'n' roll; etc.), hip hop is based on a triplet feel somewhat similar to the "swing" emphasis found in jazz beats. Hip hop takes this concept a step further, however. Whereas jazz swing implies three eighth notes (a triplet) per beat, hip hop implies six sixteenth notes (a "double triplet") per beat. Like the triplet emphasis in swing, hip hop's double triplet "bubble" is subtle, rarely written as it sounds (4/4 basic; the drummer adds the hip hop interpretation) and is often played in an almost "late" or laid back way.

Here's a basic hip hop drum set example --one bar that would be repeated indefinitely. Note that no single instrument plays all of the implied double triplets. This is usually the case. In this example, the bass drum plays part of the double triplet subdivision. The bass drum pattern is most often the part that provides the hip hop feel."

there.
basick
i dont understand what that has to do with the difference between rap and hiphop
queen
QUOTE(Topheavy @ Oct 6 2004, 5:07 PM)
i dont understand what that has to do with the difference between rap and hiphop

rap = emceeing
hip hop MUSIC = combination of djing + rap

... i thought that was apparent
basick
then why did you mention the 16 bars deal
queen
QUOTE(Topheavy @ Oct 6 2004, 5:08 PM)
then why did you mention the 16 bars deal

because some people who posted above didn't have a clue as to what made hip hop music hip hop ;o they just mentioned "instrumentals and other stuff"

and those that mentioned that hip hop is a lifestyle and rap is one of the elements is right, but i think the original question that was asked was aimed towards the music genre, not the culture. and, yes, i believe it has evolved into a genre ;o
basick
oh alright i thought you were talking about the diff between hiphop and rap so i was a little confused
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.