Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is it safe to...
Forums > Community Center > The Lounge
Pages: 1, 2
1--GIRL
I wanna know if it's ok if I leave my compter on and turn off my moniter while I sleep.. like.. will the plugs or something get too hot and stuff and then explode or something.. yawn.gif
Close this anytime you want.. _unsure.gif
Sumiaki
Yes it is. _smile.gif
leeeza702
I'm pretty sure it'll be okay.. my boyfriend NEVER turns off his computer... and it's still in good working order... _smile.gif
DrEaMgUy2K1
yea thats why u have fans in ur comp, to keep them cool ~_~ , i have 5 haha....neon lights tend to heat things up
dani41790
yea it is. my parents do that all the time with the computer downstairs
lcsblogfool
it is ok I think
but don't do that too often
if the hardware get too hot, your PC can be as slow as a snail
but if you really have to do that, just make sure it is cool
sunissed14127
naw...its wont mess up or anythng =]
Falon
I would advise, though, that if you do it, to reboot at least once every two weeks... Else the system wil start running rather slowly.... >.<
pbear
I do it all the time and so far, nothing's exploded.
capsule
its safe..i leave my computer on 24/7 for downloads overnight and during school hours....nothing has happened so far :)
lolita kitty
i doont know
i always turn mine off
(habit)
but yeah im not sure
stephinika
yeah its safe. thats what i do and have been doing forever. happy.gif
nyctophiliac
yeah i think it's fine unless you have an older computer like my upstairs one lol cuz if i leave it on for awhile the monitor gets hot n stuff but if you have a newer computer like my downstairs one its fine tongue.gif
aznxdreamer
yeah. before i had a comp in my room and i never turned it off cuz i think the noise helped me fall asleep or something. but then it broke, lol. so turn of your computer!
visualfusion
It's better to turn off your computer... running ANYTHING long isnt good.

Example: If you stay awake all night and all day, you will be more likely to get sick. =)
BeyondElite
yes ...
I see no reason why the computer will get tired. lol. _smile.gif
Luster Soldier
It is best for you to turn it off, although I don't think your comp will explode if you don't. laugh.gif
tyedyefroggy
I always leave my computer on and turn off the monitor, nothing has happened so far. So yes, it is safe.
sweetdreamsx3
Yeaps, my brother does it all the time. :D It's okay. Nothing happens unless you delete a program for it to turn on the computer or something. haha
Mireh
Eh. The radiation.

pinch.gif
sugarcubes
yes its sooo fine! it wont explode..
silver-rain
yeah, i think so. i do that sometimes, and nothing has happened to my computer yet
slurp
yeah it is, i used to leave it on for a month when i was lazy back then pinch.gif yawn.gif
F1R3B4T
yeh its quite alright. i usually leave it overnight to dl stuff... so yeh
altho the humming of the fan can annoy u while u sleep.
perfeng702
Yes, it's quite alright. I turn my computer off about once a month. I restart like once every 2 days. Just make sure you try to setup the power saving features. That will put your computer on standby after a specified amount of inactivity. Otherwise leaving your computer on will run up your power bill. Also, make sure your computer is in a well ventilated room, otherwise, the room can get pretty uncomfortable.
magnificentmike
why not just put it on standby. but it doesn't matter. i have friends on AIM that say they stay online for like days.
MusicalAngel
My comp is on 24/7 now that i'm on campus and nothing has happened. But i do scan my comp daily for viruses and run Adaware and Defrag once a week to make sure its running smoothly. Then i do a restart. But after that... its good as new biggrin.gif
XaZnX07
yeah i do that every now and then but yeah it slows my computer down sometimes so i have to like turn it off for the night or something

.:tony:.
angel-roh
i never turned off my computer at all... when it froze i turn it off but then i dont turn it off until the computer frozes again hehe... NEVER! rofl so yeah nothing happens... i wont blew up...
captivatedheart
i keep my computer on and all it does is heat it up. but thats why our computers have fans, so its alright.
corizzle20
dont do it for a old computer
IIO__oII
maybe you should put it in hibernation instead of keeping it on....
JessJR1022
I never turn mine off....and neither doesnmy boyfriend, so it cannot be that bad tongue.gif just reboot it once in a while
tweeak
the question was answered, now people are just spamming
sweetxsimplicity
Yup, I leave my computer on all day.
elmogurly
yeah. loads of people leave their computer on for days..crazy. i like to turn mines off..well i have aol too thats why. haha
babyxtc626
i heard that i was better leaving it on...then always having to turning it on n off..cuz when u do that it burns something or something..ioon thats wat i was told..but i used to keep my comp on f or days n days...
angel-roh
just to let u know... u can leave ur computer on but not ur laptop-_-;; i heard that it can bring damage to ur laptop and such cause these oppas i know who has business and such, they have laptops and 3 of my oppas broke their laptop from leaving it on for like the last 2 days >.<;; i dont know how that happens and all cause it's kinda weird that it got broken and all but yeah heh
mouse_3k
i never turned off my comp..i think i left my comp on for a few weeks or so..still workin fine
sharerolling
Yeah. My computer's fan is really quiet. You cant hear it at all cuz its like really new and stuff. tongue.gif So yeah, I guess its ok as long as it keeps cool.
sugarcultluver
ehh i have a laptop and i turn it off.
shawty_redd
my computer never stays on when im not on it like overnight or while im at school. i dunno i dont see the point of leaving it on. just a waste of power
MasterNe0
I leave my computer on forever. DSL been on for about 30 days already. LOL. Computer been on for 40 days since last shutdown.

It alright at longs as it don't overheat so make sure it aint in a location where it gets really hot.
acidbreeze
I do it all the time.
My computer's usually up for a week.
Notice;
x emo screamo x
The only problem with leaving your computer on overnight is that your prone to getting viruses

I know it seems crazy to think that even with windows XP when you're COMPLETELY logged off that you can't get a virus, but I got one on my computer.

That Trojan thingy that you have to erase your harddrive for unless you want to pay a lot of money for a special trojan remover.

So I HAVE to turn off my computer whenever I finish using it
ichiban
if you leave it on like .. 24/7 doesn't it make your electricity bill go UPPPPP?
faithin_felix
um..ya my comp is on 24/7 with monitor shutoff, same with my bros and hes comp is beside mine, both on 24/7 restarts it every two days, works like an angel =D
gelionie
I dunno if it's good or not...
so I turn it off every night before I go to sleep.
krazykhmergirl
i guss its ok mellow.gif
KrAzi3piNoY
its toally safe i know ppl who left thier comps on for like a week lol
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.