Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: the silmarillion
Forums > Community Center > Academia > Books
futura

Has anyone ever read Tolkien's The Silmarillion? I've only tried looking for it at thrift stores so far. I'm sure they sell it in a million other places but I like old and tattered copies of things.
superstitious
I've read it twice, though years ago. I prefer it to the Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

I think that it's an acquired taste. It's one of those books that takes patience to read, if that makes sense. I love it though. I think I should read it again.
heyo-captain-jack
I have a copy but haven't bothered reading it yet. I hear it's a tough read but is worth it if you can sit through it.
Firiath
The Silmarillion is my favorite book! I actually have that copy you put up, but I can't find it >.<
It's somewhere in my house, and it's a beautiful copy. I've got to go find it.

I love reading about the history of Middle Earth and all the different ages, but that's what people get most confused about. The fact that it covers numerous ages, which is a *very* long time, makes the book seem a little disconnected. I still prefer it over all the other Tolkien books, and it helps you understand the context in which the LotR and The Hobbit books are written in.
futura
ahhhhh must read this still!
superstitious
Ok, found an old copy (© 1977). Since the end of year work hell has ended and I have more time on my hands, I will start re-reading this tonight.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.